**Official 2023 OMFS PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good evening…What score would you advise someone to get on the CBSE since scores have gone up? Thank you for your time
Over 75 to be competitive (old scale)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh it's been debated a lot before, but what it really boils down to on average 6 yr guys tend to have significantly higher CBSE than 4 yr guys, but the pool is a lot smaller. Most non-cats, people applying years later, etc. tend to prefer 4 yr programs. You can decide how you want to define "competitiveness".

This article says avg CBSE of 4 yr residents was 63 and avg CBSE of 6 yr residents was 75.
So besides having a competitive CBSE score, is it mostly class rank (if not P/F), externships, and interview that help new grads be competitive compared to non-cat applicants who have more clinical experience?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So besides having a competitive CBSE score, is it mostly class rank (if not P/F), externships, and interview that help new grads be competitive compared to non-cat applicants who have more clinical experience?
Yes, and letters from oral surgeons (academic) hold weight

Reactions: 2 users
I’m curious how applicants from ranked vs unranked dental schools are favored in the process. Not implying anything, and I’m sure it greatly varies. I only ask because a PD once told me they sometimes prefer a ranked candidate

I’m curious how applicants from ranked vs unranked dental schools are favored in the process. Not implying anything, and I’m sure it greatly varies. I only ask because a PD once told me they sometimes prefer a ranked candidate
if you were a PD, wouldn’t you prefer someone with a rank?

Historically I feel that schools that don’t rank were always more competitive to get into with a more rigorous curriculum, like Harvard and UCLA. That being said more schools are going P/F that don’t have the reputation, the curriculum, or the competitiveness. So I think it really depends on what P/F school you go to.

Yup, and you are at a bit of a disadvantage if you at a P/F dental school. But not insurmountable.

Only a good one
My feeling here: I put more weight into the CBSE and externships, LOR's for P/F school. Do I like a rank, yeah a little bit but only if it is in the top 25-30%. If you are 99/100 in your class but have a 240 on the CBSE I am also interested. I will generally look/read deeper into an application at that point. From an insiders point of view: If you are #1 in your class, have a 240 on the CBSE, externships all over, good LOR's and a generally good PS I will want to know more about your application.

Additionally, I will focus on the CV the applicant sends me. To me that shows the professionalism level of the applicants. Let's say you are 1/200 in your class and crush the CBSE but you have a very childish or parochial CV, I am usually out. So don't forget to put in the effort on the CV. If you are listing high school jobs and high school sports, employment that is not related to the position you are seeking. I find that lazy. If you didn't have a job and went straight through school, that also brings up questions. So Make sure you present a very professional CV. I can go into more depth here if people want.

Someone mentioned earlier that you should only do internships if you have a 65+. Not sure I agree. Let me say this, this year I had 2 kick*** interns that made it impossible not to take them, regardless of CBSE. And thank god they decided to stay with my program. Is that good or bad? Depends on who's judging. I can tell you that in the first 3 months of last year I knew that these two interns were rockstars. Some would say that you should not take your own interns as it projects poorly to future applicants. That may be but when someone has proved they can do the job and do it well, you will have to tell me why I, as the PD, should take a risk on another applicant.

To all those who didn't match this year. I hope you have recovered and you are finding positions to help on the second application.

Reactions: 9 users
My feeling here: I put more weight into the CBSE and externships, LOR's for P/F school. Do I like a rank, yeah a little bit but only if it is in the top 25-30%. If you are 99/100 in your class but have a 240 on the CBSE I am also interested. I will generally look/read deeper into an application at that point. From an insiders point of view: If you are #1 in your class, have a 240 on the CBSE, externships all over, good LOR's and a generally good PS I will want to know more about your application.

Additionally, I will focus on the CV the applicant sends me. To me that shows the professionalism level of the applicants. Let's say you are 1/200 in your class and crush the CBSE but you have a very childish or parochial CV, I am usually out. So don't forget to put in the effort on the CV. If you are listing high school jobs and high school sports, employment that is not related to the position you are seeking. I find that lazy. If you didn't have a job and went straight through school, that also brings up questions. So Make sure you present a very professional CV. I can go into more depth here if people want.

Someone mentioned earlier that you should only do internships if you have a 65+. Not sure I agree. Let me say this, this year I had 2 kick*** interns that made it impossible not to take them, regardless of CBSE. And thank god they decided to stay with my program. Is that good or bad? Depends on who's judging. I can tell you that in the first 3 months of last year I knew that these two interns were rockstars. Some would say that you should not take your own interns as it projects poorly to future applicants. That may be but when someone has proved they can do the job and do it well, you will have to tell me why I, as the PD, should take a risk on another applicant.

To all those who didn't match this year. I hope you have recovered and you are finding positions to help on the second application.
This may not be related to your post, but have been reading and following this forum since I got into dental school. I wrote the CBSE exams yesterday, I went in with the mindset of business as usual with other exams. I was mentally rocked after the the first block. This exam overall is a beast, and the most hardest exams with little time to come up with an answer in your mind. The whole question got me thinking and connecting different concepts at the same time and also interpreting lab results at the same time. By the time I was done in the evening, I felt knocked out. Just imagine going for a UFC match. Maybe I barely know stuff, and I did 52% of UWORLD. I’m in D1, but I wanted the experience which I’m grateful to have yesterday. I will definitely come back in my D2 and D3 year hopefully to take a revenge on it. No sugar coating, it was the hardest exam have done in my life. This is just my experience about the CBSE, let no one take the exam lightly.

Thank you for your post! We've all heard a lot of speculation regarding the new equated percent correct CBSE scores. What are your thoughts on what's considered a "highly competitive score" or one that's worth stopping on in order to focus more on externships, research, etc?

So don't forget to put in the effort on the CV. If you are listing high school jobs and high school sports, employment that is not related to the position you are seeking. I find that lazy. If you didn't have a job and went straight through school, that also brings up questions. So Make sure you present a very professional CV. I can go into more depth here if people want.
This is an interesting statement to me. I have to imagine the number of people who had some job related to OMFS between undergrad and dental school is pretty low.

I feel like the CV was one of the more difficult parts when I was applying because you don’t want to regurgitate the numbers you already have on your application but you can’t be throwing highschool on here either.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you had previous professional work experience, say 3-5 years, and then switched fields to dentistry would you recommend including anything from undergrad on your CV?

Things that show a pattern of volunteering, mentorship, awards/scholarships?

Would you recommend not including anything about the previous career as well if it’s not related to dentistry? Or would you consider something like programming or public accounting worthwhile inclusions on an application/CV?

If you had previous professional work experience, say 3-5 years, and then switched fields to dentistry would you recommend including anything from undergrad on your CV?

Things that show a pattern of volunteering, mentorship, awards/scholarships?

Would you recommend not including anything about the previous career as well if it’s not related to dentistry? Or would you consider something like programming or public accounting worthwhile inclusions on an application/CV?
If it is part of your adult/professional work history. Then include it but minimally. Try to stay focused in the professional, health care field. I just don't want to see that you worked at a golf course in high school. Doesn't do anything for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your post! We've all heard a lot of speculation regarding the new equated percent correct CBSE scores. What are your thoughts on what's considered a "highly competitive score" or one that's worth stopping on in order to focus more on externships, research, etc?
Thats a great question. I don't really know anymore with this new change. For 6 year programs it is going to be above the "pass" level each time which is a moving target. I will focus on the old number for equivalency. Sort of try to find applicants that have a 70/200 on the old scoring systems. After that I don't really care. I think if you 75+ you are pretty good. Research is nice but not required for most programs, only research heavy programs. Exposure to research is great, but publications are not necessary most of the time.

NON CATEGORICAL POSITION LOMA LINDA OMFS

Loma Linda is looking for a non categorical intern to start July 2023. Applicant would be required to have a dental license in California prior to starting. If interested please send CV, CBSE score, and personal statement to [email protected]. Feel free to reach out regarding responsibilities, benefits, etc.

Last edited:

OMFS Research Fellowship at Cook County Health​

This one-year research position is designed for applicants interested in strengthening their research background and applying to oral & maxillofacial surgery training.

The fellowship is jointly hosted by the departments of Trauma/Burn Surgery and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - Job number 00120149. This one year program consists of a didactic curriculum in research methodology and biostatistics and one on one mentorship. Fellows will be expected to publish 4-10 peer reviewed publications during their fellowship year.

The research position is a non-paid position. Time commitment is 30 – 40 hours per week, with the remainder of the time to be used at the discretion of the fellow for outside employment or studying for the NBME CBSE examination. There may be an opportunity to work part-time in oral and maxillofacial surgery depending on qualifications and licensure.

Candidates that have already taken the CBSE examination, completed an oral & maxillofacial surgery internship, and have a history of prior scholarly work will be given preference.

Interested candidates should apply via the following link:
https://cookcountyil.taleo.net/careersection/200/jobdetail.ftl

Closing date for application is March 18th 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.

Hi Everyone,

Our GPR program at Columbia/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital has one spot left for a resident to start July 1st. Essentially the position acts as OS non-categorical spots. You take OS call and are heavily involved with the OMFS team including the OR and in the clinic. Call is usually q7. Great opportunity for someone thinking about OMS but still wants a little exposure to general dentistry or someone who applied to OMS and did not get a spot this round looking for a non-cat spot. DM me if interested.

I'm one of the PGY-3 rising chiefs at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. We are actively looking for a qualified candidate to participate in a one-year non-categorical OMS internship in Philadelphia, PA.

We had 5 non-categorical interns this year, and all 5 matched into 4 and 6 years programs throughout the country. The year prior, 5 of 5 non-categorical interns matched. We have had very good success in this area, and are careful to select people we feel strongly will match in the next cycle.

This position is an excellent opportunity to prepare you if you are reapplying to the OMS match in 2024. You will be working daily and directly under the supervision of multiple oral surgeons and will directly participate in surgical cases. Our program would expose you to all aspects of oral and maxillofacial surgery, including teeth and titanium, orthognathic, trauma, TMJ, free flap and local flap reconstruction surgeries.

If you are interested in this position, please contact our Program Coordinator Ms. Joanna Schultz <[email protected]>. You must be attending or have graduated from an accredited US or Canadian dental school (or an advanced placement program). If qualified, we will set up a Zoom interview with our Program Director in the coming days.

Thank you in advance for your interest in our program!

Feel free to DM me with any question!

(1-year Internship) Christiana Care Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

One Non-categorical Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Internship position is available at Christiana Care Health System OMFS program located in Wilmington, DE.

Christiana Care is a hospital-based program that is exposed to the full scope of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery. We are encouraging current 4th year dental students looking to complete a one-year internship for the upcoming 2023-2024 year to come extern for a few days to get to know you. We are a tight knit, resident run program that enjoys spending time together and helping each other succeed. This is a great opportunity for current candidates interested in OMFS to strengthen their application and expand their surgery skills. The noncategorical interns share the same clinical and academic responsibilities as the PGY-1 class. We have a strong history of matching out non-categorical interns the following year and our program is significantly involved in preparing individuals for the application cycle. A PGY-1 salary is offered – Christiana offers a nationally competitive resident salary with low cost of living in Wilmington, DE.

Unfortunately, we do not take students from Canadian dental schools.

To apply or ask questions, please send a CV and PASS application (if available) to our rising chiefs at [email protected] and [email protected] as well as our program administrator [email protected]

Question for past applicants!
Is the general consensus to get all applications in by 9/1 even if their due date is at a later time (9/15, 10/1, etc.)? I've heard a couple stories about programs (ex: Michigan) that end up sending their interview invites out before their official application due date.

Previous threads on SDN seem to point to the fact that most OMFS programs don't begin reading applications until the due date... though now I am wary. Thanks for your help and insight!

Question for past applicants!
Is the general consensus to get all applications in by 9/1 even if their due date is at a later time (9/15, 10/1, etc.)? I've heard a couple stories about programs (ex: Michigan) that end up sending their interview invites out before their official application due date.

Previous threads on SDN seem to point to the fact that most OMFS programs don't begin reading applications until the due date... though now I am wary. Thanks for your help and insight!
If you submit one application September 1st why not just submit them all? Seems a lot less stressful to submit once and be done with the application. Unless you plan on sending all the schools that have September 1st deadlines an incomplete application.

The Detroit Medical Centre OMFS program has open positions for a 1 year non-categorical internship starting July 1st 2023. The program is a full scope hospital based program with emphasis on Dentoalveolar, trauma and Orthognathics.
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV, a copy of your PASS application (if you have one) and your CBSE score to the rising chief at [email protected].

is there a 2024 omfs thread? Thought i saw one, but can no long find it

Took the cbse in my non cat. Got a 53% EPC. I am interested in a 4 year. Am I SOL? Does anyone know people with similar scores and a noncat who have been successful?

Took the cbse in my non cat. Got a 53% EPC. I am interested in a 4 year. Am I SOL? Does anyone know people with similar scores and a noncat who have been successful?

I think it would be very difficult. Why don't you talk to your PD?