**Official 2022 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at a hospital-based program where I could be earning over potentially +$100,000 (after tuition) at the end of the program. Am I being completely idiotic to rank a program higher that I liked more/where I feel like I'll learn more if it's costing me -$150,000 or more to attend? Wondering if I should choose a program with a less impressive clinical program/liked less if I'm getting paid

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at a hospital-based program where I could be earning over potentially +$100,000 (after tuition) at the end of the program. Am I being completely idiotic to rank a program higher that I liked more/where I feel like I'll learn more if it's costing me -$150,000 or more to attend? Wondering if I should choose a program with a less impressive clinical program/liked less if I'm getting paid
If you’re smart enough to get into that program, you’re smart enough to learn how to be a good Orthodontist

Unlike dental school where I would say cheaper is better, in this situation I would say it depends on your debt tolerance. In the grand scheme of things, $150K is not a huge amount. There can be value in going to a better program. Better connections. More social fun stuff since you mentioned you liked it more. The more clinical exposure you have, the more prepared you will be when you graduate and end up in a job or starting a practice with no mentorship. You could also moonlight to offset some of the debt if you are really worried.

And to beat a dead horse, the only idiotic thing here would be not ranking the lesser liked program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the hospital based program 3 years? Is the other program 2 years? If that’s the case. Tack on about 200k in cost to the hospital based program and then compare

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any info/advice on UDM? On the struggle bus with ranking rn 😅

Has anyone heard overall numbers regarding this application cycle? How many people applied to ortho residencies this cycle for how many spots?

Has anyone heard overall numbers regarding this application cycle? How many people applied to ortho residencies this cycle for how many spots?
last year 608 applied, 332 positions offered and 322 matched leaving 10 unfilled spots.

last year 608 applied, 332 positions offered and 322 matched leaving 10 unfilled spots.
Source? That seems way too low. I've had programs this year tell me they received 300, 350, 400+ applicants...has to be more than 608 total!! No?

What are reasons for a program withdrawal from Match ?

I remember seeing these numbers on the MATCH website. Is 608 the number of people who enrolled in MATCH or the number of people who received an interview and can therefore rank? Because 608 people entering match for 332 positions is not great odds!

Source? That seems way too low. I've had programs this year tell me they received 300, 350, 400+ applicants...has to be more than 608 total!! No?
Those figures are correct. They come straight from Match

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a dumb question, but I'd make sure that I am thinking right. For a virtual interview, am I supposed to attend the interview at my scheduled time slot only, not throughout the whole time?

This might be a dumb question, but I'd make sure that I am thinking right. For a virtual interview, am I supposed to attend the interview at my scheduled time slot only, not throughout the whole time?
Yes. Unless they asked you to be present the entire time.
I was actually confused during my first time as well

Ok dumb question:

So after my rank order list is certified, do I need to "Submit" it? Or it is considered submitted?

I think you have to consider that there is a ton of overlap in applicants at each school!

I think you have to consider that there is a ton of overlap in applicants at each school!
Yup. Last year, only two schools received over 300 applications: Jacksonville (305) and St Louis (364). So I would be very surprised if multiple ortho schools indicated they received 400+ applications this year. At the interviews I attended last year, the schools had a total average of 180 applicants.

You can find the full statistics for last year here: https://www.ada.org/-/media/project...c2b8df8&hash=ED4B77B60E684F1AA835A833729AEB86

For clarity, match day is as follows (right?)

6am CST: emails are sent to the email you used for match if you matched or not
11am CST: post-match begins and we are allowed to contact program directors at programs we interviewed (or applied?) to?

Just wanted to make sure I am fully prepared!
I am interested in this information as well, does anyone have details on this?

Once you certify your rank list, can you edit and certify it again or is it locked in?

Did you guys inform your #1 ranking program that you are ranking them first?

Once you certify your rank list, can you edit and certify it again or is it locked in?
you can certify again if you make changes. Just make sure that you do certify again otherwise it cannot be used in the match.

Did you guys inform your #1 ranking program that you are ranking them first?
I dont think you're allowed to tell them what you ranked them. You can tell them that you did rank them just not the order.

Does anyone have any thoughts/insight on UNC vs. Texas A&M vs. MUSC

I was wondering if any one has trouble deciding rank due to the number of seats in a program. For example, if you are debating the rank of a program that has 7 seats vs. one that has 3 seats, would you rank the 7 seat one higher to increase chances of matching? (this is after deciding that you like both but had a better interview with the smaller program)

This is just my opinion but I really think you should rank based on your desire to go to a certain program and not think about it based on how many spots each place has

Reactions: 2 users
I was wondering if any one has trouble deciding rank due to the number of seats in a program. For example, if you are debating the rank of a program that has 7 seats vs. one that has 3 seats, would you rank the 7 seat one higher to increase chances of matching? (this is after deciding that you like both but had a better interview with the smaller program)
Don't rank based off of your chances of matching. It will more likely than not work against you if you do that. Just choose the programs you want to be at the most

St. Louis vs UConn Vs Chicago?
Didn't apply to St. Louis. Personally, I feel like residents at Chicago have very close relationships with each other (eg. their Holloween party social) and they enjoy their program. Residents (and the entire interview) at UConn were super chill. I liked both programs. Location-wise, I prefer a bigger city like Chicago. But I feel like you can't go wrong with either.

Thoughts on Case Western?
I liked Case Western! Their facility is so cool, and I really like that they have that innovation clinic with all the new technology. My only concern is their location. Cleveland is not a diverse or vibrant city, and I heard the crime rate is high as well.

On the Match website, it says that “Match results will be available November 19, 2021 12:00 PM ET.” Does anyone know if the results will actually be available earlier than 12 PM? Historically, I know they’ve been released in the morning.

On the Match website, it says that “Match results will be available November 19, 2021 12:00 PM ET.” Does anyone know if the results will actually be available earlier than 12 PM? Historically, I know they’ve been released in the morning.
I think they release the results on their website (plus any post match spots that may be available) at noon. The results will be emailed to you earlier at 8 AM EST (give or take 5 minutes)

Reactions: 4 users
I think they release the results on their website (plus any post match spots that may be available) at noon. The results will be emailed to you earlier at 8 AM EST (give or take 5 minutes)
Thank you!

8 AM? I thought it was 12? That would be very good if so

Also- have programs already ranked applicants? Or do they do that later

8 AM? I thought it was 12? That would be very good if so

Also- have programs already ranked applicants? Or do they do that later
I received my email at 7:55 AM last year.

Most programs finalize their rank list within a week of interviews. My program finalized theirs the day of

Reactions: 2 users