USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Congrats on writing! What do you think was ultimately most/least helpful? Anything you wish you looked over in your final days?
Most helpful: honestly, UW. The exam felt just like the hard questions on UW where you're between 2 answers. For almost every question I was able to narrow it down to 2 options, there were only a couple that I had no idea what they were talking about. Not really anything I wished I looked over-- I think it was just hard, and studying more or longer wouldn't help me (I think).

I'm already counting a couple of stupid mistakes where I changed my answer because I started overthinking. So.....meh. Don't do that lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Fine. Didn't have as much time left as I sometimes do, but overall fine, I always had time to review all my flagged (and there were a lot lol). Probably ended most blocks with somewhere between 5-10 minutes left after review.

Level 2 is Friday.
I haven't done any UWorld blocks timed yet and was definitely cutting it close on most blocks on UWSA1 yesterday but I'm gonna start doing everything timed next week when I'm in official dedicated. Only one exam left as a med student!

Reactions: 1 users
Most helpful: honestly, UW. The exam felt just like the hard questions on UW where you're between 2 answers. For almost every question I was able to narrow it down to 2 options, there were only a couple that I had no idea what they were talking about. Not really anything I wished I looked over-- I think it was just hard, and studying more or longer wouldn't help me (I think).

I'm already counting a couple of stupid mistakes where I changed my answer because I started overthinking. So.....meh. Don't do that lol.
Did you feel rushed at the prometric? Some people were saying you couldn't take a break before your last block because the exam went so late and the staff didn't like that

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you feel rushed at the prometric? Some people were saying you couldn't take a break before your last block because the exam went so late and the staff didn't like that
When I first got there and checked in, the person was explaining the break time to me and she's like "I recommend just going through the entire morning without breaks" so I got the feeling she was trying to tell me to do that so it would be over faster. I didn't listen and did the same thing as I did for Step 1 (~5 minutes after each block, 20-30 minutes for lunch). No one said anything else to me.

Reactions: 1 user
OH. Forgot to say, lol. Halfway through my final block, my computer froze and they kept trying to restart it and it wouldn't work. I came real close to freaking out. They had to move me to a different computer, but now I'm a little paranoid that I'll end up like that person on Reddit who got emailed by NBME that their test didn't save or something. Pray for me.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
When I first got there and checked in, the person was explaining the break time to me and she's like "I recommend just going through the entire morning without breaks" so I got the feeling she was trying to tell me to do that so it would be over faster. I didn't listen and did the same thing as I did for Step 1 (~5 minutes after each block, 20-30 minutes for lunch). No one said anything else to me.

I can't believe they would say this. We pay 600 bucks to take this exam. Good on you for not letting them get to you!!

Reactions: 2 users
You guysssss. Why do I change my answers. Whyyyyyyyy.
I do this too or I talk myself out of my gut instinct which usually ends up being right. I'm literally just forcing myself to pick whatever feels instinctually right and not look back unless there is something obvious in the stem that I missed.

I do this too or I talk myself out of my gut instinct which usually ends up being right. I'm literally just forcing myself to pick whatever feels instinctually right and not look back unless there is something obvious in the stem that I missed.
Yeah, I try to do this too. But there were some that I looked at too many times and then eventually changed. Flagging can be a bitch like that sometimes. Counting all my ones I changed.....hurts.

Starting dedicated today and took UWSA1 as a baseline. Yikes that was a hard exam. 69% correct (68/65/80/65) for a 242. Hoping everything will only go up from here!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
7th would be my guess but could be wrong. What was your goal score?
I just want to get equal to my step 1 score. So, 255. But considering I want to do community IM, I won't be crushed if I score average. Disappointed, but not crushed.
Probably 7th. I took mine 6/13 and it’s going to be on the 30th.

I also already looked up 150 questions post-exam. Lmao.
I looked up a bunch lol. Mostly ones I changed. Fun times.

hi all. has anyone tried fsmb trick with step 3 eligibility? my permit has dissappeared today and i can take myself checking the step 3 application..
In January 2021 it didn’t work for me. My step 3 thing only worked shortly AFTER I got my score.
For step 1 and 2, I took a break between every single block minus maybe one time of doing back to back blocks
OH. Forgot to say, lol. Halfway through my final block, my computer froze and they kept trying to restart it and it wouldn't work. I came real close to freaking out. They had to move me to a different computer, but now I'm a little paranoid that I'll end up like that person on Reddit who got emailed by NBME that their test didn't save or something. Pray for me.
If it makes you feel better I had that happen during Level 1 and everything was saved and fine.

I just want to get equal to my step 1 score. So, 255. But considering I want to do community IM, I won't be crushed if I score average. Disappointed, but not crushed.

I looked up a bunch lol. Mostly ones I changed. Fun times.
255...community IM? you can def get an academic one...if you want one ofc

If it makes you feel better I had that happen during Level 1 and everything was saved and fine.
It actually does, thank you!

255...community IM? you can def get an academic one...if you want one ofc
Not a priority for me. Location is my biggest thing (wanna go home) and I would say there's only one true powerhouse academic program here-- definitely a top choice for me at the moment, but I'm not dead set on academic. I don't want to do fellowship so it doesn't really matter. Just wanna get good training and be a good doc (and actually not have subspecialties available to do everything so I can maybe learn to manage more on my own).

Not a priority for me. Location is my biggest thing (wanna go home) and I would say there's only one true powerhouse academic program here-- definitely a top choice for me at the moment, but I'm not dead set on academic. I don't want to do fellowship so it doesn't really matter. Just wanna get good training and be a good doc (and actually not have subspecialties available to do everything so I can maybe learn to manage more on my own).
Definitely look at Naples. (Even though it’s farther from your target area but not too far)

Y'all. It was honestly so hard. I flagged like 1/2 the block on almost every block. But, I don't think I could have prepared any better than I did. Honestly, I felt the same taking UWSA2 and then got a 266, so trying to stay positive. But damn, it was hard. Not in the way everyone says: I didn't find the ethics too crazy, the military questions didn't seem too crazy, and I only had 1 SOAP style question. But just....hard.

I'd be surprised if you score below 250 on the real deal. I felt this way coming out of all the Steps 1&3 (the ones I did well on). Step 2 CK I thought may have gone OK and I ended up barely beating the average.

Mmm...I see, good for you. You're going to make some people very happy next year. Keep up the good work!

Apply to Emory! Top program at least “near” your location of interest and you def have a shot

Day 2: continuing to count ones I got wrong. Oh boy, it's gonna be a long few weeks.

If you got one wrong, it was clearly an experimental question. That's what I've told myself and no one can convince me otherwise.

If you were knocking out 260+ on those uworld sims, you know this stuff better than the average person. If you struggled with step 2, then the average person really struggled. In the end, it doesn't matter if you got 50% of the questions wrong if the average person got 70% of them wrong.

tl;dr - enjoy the kickass score I'm sure you have earned.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
If you got one wrong, it was clearly an experimental question. That's what I've told myself and no one can convince me otherwise.

If you were knocking out 260+ on those uworld sims, you know this stuff better than the average person. If you struggled with step 2, then the average person really struggled. In the end, it doesn't matter if you got 50% of the questions wrong if the average person got 70% of them wrong.

tl;dr - enjoy the kickass score I'm sure you have earned.
That was what I kept telling myself during the exam. “If I’m struggling with these, then others are too.” Hoping that was the case. Score will be out tomorrow and I’ll report back, good or bad.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Can someone remind me how breaks work for Level 2? 10 minutes between 2nd and 3rd sections and then between 6th and 7th? 40 minute lunch break?

Can someone remind me how breaks work for Level 2? 10 minutes between 2nd and 3rd sections and then between 6th and 7th? 40 minute lunch break?
10 min after the first two blocks. 40 min after the next 2, 10 after the next 2

for each 4 blocks you have a four hour clock that carries over. You can spend as much or little time as you want on each block, you just have to complete the 4 in 4 hours. There’s 44 questions per block.

10 min after the first two blocks. 40 min after the next 2, 10 after the next 2

for each 4 blocks you have a four hour clock that carries over. You can spend as much or little time as you want on each block, you just have to complete the 4 in 4 hours. There’s 44 questions per block.
Cool, thanks. I'm so mentally done, all I've done is keep up with my Turnup2OMT reviews and I did the TurnUp2Law/Ethics deck. Our school didn't give us any COMLEX-based resources, so I don't feel like paying for any practice questions. Think this is pretty much all I'm doing.

Long time lurker of this thread and got my score back today! From a low-tier MD school and applying general surgery.

Step 1: 232
UWorld: 84% second pass (55% completed)
Amboss SA (4 weeks out): 250
UWSA1 (3 weeks out): 243
UWSA2 (1 week out): 254
New Free120 (3 days out): 84%

Step 2 CK (June 11): 250!

Reactions: 10 users
@Steve_Zissou What day did your permit dissapear? I was a Wednesday taker so idk if its going to come out this upcoming week or take 3 weeks.
I checked it on Monday and it was gone. You were not too long after me so it may be this next week that you get yours. I took exam 6/11, got results 6/23.