Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Please Help! My UW correct % has been stuck at 69%/70% for the past 10 days. I have been doing 3-4 blocks a day with review but nothing changed. My exam is in 2 weeks, and I need to get at least 240+. What can I do for the next 13 days? I am so discouraged.

Please Help! My UW correct % has been stuck at 69%/70% for the past 10 days. I have been doing 3-4 blocks a day with review but nothing changed. My exam is in 2 weeks, and I need to get at least 240+. What can I do for the next 13 days? I am so discouraged.

70% is not that bad. I'm pretty sure it's over 50th percentile, so 240 shouldn't be difficult.

Reactions: 1 user

My first pass was only 73% and I was 250+. Take some practice tests and see where your at, because 70% UW isn't bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on what you're getting wrong. Not content specifically, but what types of questions are you getting wrong? Your percentage is not bad. Have you taken a NBME recently?

My first pass was only 73% and I was 250+. Take some practice tests and see where your at, because 70% UW isn't bad.

Focus on what you're getting wrong. Not content specifically, but what types of questions are you getting wrong? Your percentage is not bad. Have you taken a NBME recently?

I have taken a couple NBME, but my problem is I can’t make out of the DRASTIC difference in scores: 198 for NBME 7 2 weeks ago and 259 for NBME 6 last week! I really don’t know what to do. I just wish my UW % correct will improve so I know I am moving in the right direction. I am so lost.

I didn’t see muc improvement in my UWORLd % throughout dedicated. I think it’s important to use UWORLD as a learning tool. It’s going to bring up new topics or details you haven’t seen yet in UWORLD. When a disease comes up learn or review the pathology’s, treatment, and anything else they seem to highlight and move on. Don’t worry about that percent at this point. I would start making a list or flashcard set of high yield topics that you continue to get wrong.

Nailing those down is your best bet in my opinion.

but good luck and keep going! Don’t overwhelm yourself. Most people feel that we wouldn’t have done much better if we had extra time to study. Whatever you do, try to go in with a well rested mind!

Thanks guy. @AnatomyGrey12, @Lu_Xun, @Dr. wait for it... What would you suggest for me for the last 7 days? I have plans to do UWSA 2, Free 120 new and old, and a few more days of 3-4 blocks of UW questions. And then for the final 2 days, just do reviews (no more questions). Does it sound like a good plan? Or should I stop doing any more questions and/or assessments for the last week and just focus on reviewing topics for the last 6-7 days?

Thanks guy. @AnatomyGrey12, @Lu_Xun, @Dr. wait for it... What would you suggest for me for the last 7 days? I have plans to do UWSA 2, Free 120 new and old, and a few more days of 3-4 blocks of UW questions. And then for the final 2 days, just do reviews (no more questions). Does it sound like a good plan? Or should I stop doing any more questions and/or assessments for the last week and just focus on reviewing topics for the last 6-7 days?

Hello my friend. My exam is in 1 week and I’m at the same UW avg that you’re at. I think 70% is pretty good, and it sounds like you’re stressing out a bit, which I do too but I have to remind myself that I can do this, and so will you. Yes, take the free 120, old one is a lot easier so I’d do that first, take the new one’s score with a grain of salt since it’s for the new updated CK (11/20) but still review your incorrect. I haven’t taken any nbme’s since the scores are all over the place and a low score would discourage me, I’d take UWSA 1+2. I need to finish roughly 20 blocks , I should be done 2-3 days before the exam depending on if I do 4 or 5 blocks per day, no time to review marked. And day before exam review your high yield notes and/or rapid review in CK books etc. You still have plenty of time. Take a deep breath. Relax.

Last edited:

That’s almost exactly what I did my last week. Burnout is real, take the day before the test to memorize some biostats equations and then relax your brain.

Need some help with predictions:

Step 1: 224-230
Level 1: 540-560
Level 2: 640-660
Uworld 1st pass (78% before it expired, recently restarted): 66%
UW1 3 weeks out: 228
Recently decided to take step 2 and have 3 weeks before I take it. Big caveat is I’m studying on an audition rotation so I’m planning to take an nbme/uw2 in a couple days to gauge where I’m at. Think 235+ is realistic?

Last edited:
Hello my friend. My exam is in 1 week and I’m at the same UW avg that you’re at. I think 70% is pretty good, and it sounds like you’re stressing out a bit, which I do too but I have to remind myself that I can do this, and so will you. Yes, take the free 120, old one is a lot easier so I’d do that first, take the new one’s score with a grain of salt since it’s for the new updated CK (11/20) but still review your incorrect. I haven’t taken any nbme’s since the scores are all over the place and a low score would discourage me, I’d take UWSA 1+2. I need to finish roughly 20 blocks , I should be done 2-3 days before the exam depending on if I do 4 or 5 blocks per day, no time to review marked. And day before exam review your high yield notes and/or rapid review in CK books etc. You still have plenty of time. Take a deep breath. Relax.

Thank you! It is so kind of you to take the time to respond. I really appreciate it. Yes, I am stressing out (a lot) because I have to not only pass but also get a decent score since I failed in July (it came as a surprise to me since my assessments also show passing with a decent margin). How is your preparation going so far?

I'd do UWSA 2 and free 120 soon, maybe even on the same day to simulate a long test like the real thing.

And it's reasonable to take some time to relax. I definitely wasn't doing 3-4 blocks daily in the last couple weeks.

2 days out from my step 2.

UW2 → 247. Highest score I've had so far.

Personally the questions didn't feel as complicated as previous forms. Personally this is making me nervous that i just got a form with concepts i'm already good at.

Apparently Divine did a 10 hour podcasts on Sept 5th. If he posts it by tomorrow I'll probably listen to it. I may do the free 120 because i've heard there is recycled questions on the real thing.

But personally I'm feeling pretty burned out from studying since may.

Wish me luck boys and girls haha.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2 days out from my step 2.

UW2 → 247. Highest score I've had so far.

Personally the questions didn't feel as complicated as previous forms. Personally this is making me nervous that i just got a form with concepts i'm already good at.

Apparently Divine did a 10 hour podcasts on Sept 5th. If he posts it by tomorrow I'll probably listen to it. I may do the free 120 because i've heard there is recycled questions on the real thing.

But personally I'm feeling pretty burned out from studying since may.

Wish me luck boys and girls haha.

Good luck - you'll do great!!

real talk... how is divine a resident, but still finds time to do so many podcasts (not to mention tutoring for esoteric subjects such as histology (lol) + internal medicine / pediatric in-training exams even though hes a rads resident)

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck - you'll do great!!
Thanks friend i needed that!
real talk... how is divine a resident, but still finds time to do so many podcasts (not to mention tutoring for esoteric subjects such as histology (lol) + internal medicine / pediatric in-training exams even though hes a rads resident)
I wonder that too. He's doing a great job but i wish he crowd sourced more (for his own mental health haha).

He switched from Rads to Anesthesia and then is no longer listed on the resident roster at his program so I think he is taking a year to himself.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Hi, how long does it take these days for people to get their scores back? I am wondering if it'll be too risky to schedule a test date beyond sep 21, say last week of sep for example, will the score be back before Oct 21st when programs start seeing your apps?

Hi, how long does it take these days for people to get their scores back? I am wondering if it'll be too risky to schedule a test date beyond sep 21, say last week of sep for example, will the score be back before Oct 21st when programs start seeing your apps?
They’ve been taking about two weeks for everyone I know. They’re released on Wednesday. So if taking that week, will likely be receiving your score on the 14th of October. Of course, who knows where in the week they’re drawing the line to push it back to the following Wednesday. That following Wednesday is the 21st which would be a sucky day to receive a score imo.

I took my test on a Friday and got my score 11 days after. The people I know who took it on the following Monday will get their scores this week

They’ve been taking about two weeks for everyone I know. They’re released on Wednesday. So if taking that week, will likely be receiving your score on the 14th of October. Of course, who knows where in the week they’re drawing the line to push it back to the following Wednesday. That following Wednesday is the 21st which would be a sucky day to receive a score imo.
I took my test on a Friday and got my score 11 days after. The people I know who took it on the following Monday will get their scores this week

the “cutoff” for 2 Wednesday’s is Friday*

*if you are a US student taking in the US at a regular prometric. Longer/variable if FMG, IMG, taking in another country, taking event based testing

0F678395-16B3-4279-9FE2-B06C9022CFB8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
just finished uw2- other than not understanding drug ads, i'm ready to be done! gl lets finish strong to those of us testing this wk!!

How did you study for Step 2?
Uworld + anki throughout third year. Didn’t keep up throughout rotations but maybe the newer decks make that easier. Did OME with the whiteboard book somewhat regularly too. Not much true “dedicated” study. So when step 2 was 4-6 weeks out, I focused on finishing uworld IM (couldn’t finish it on rotation). When I took uwsa1, it was painfully obvious that I’d lost some of the other disciplines and was just really good at IM. So gearing up for uwsa2 I started redoing uworld while adding in the anki cards from my previous rotations. Last few days, I started writing out my stats formulas because I forgot stats existed.

Didn’t pick up one book aside from the whiteboard book from OME.

Reactions: 2 users
just finished uw2- other than not understanding drug ads, i'm ready to be done! gl lets finish strong to those of us testing this wk!!

my test day I left the article and drug ads for the end Of the block because I was terrible at them. Ended up running out of time and just guessed on the answers... ‍.

in the end i was happy with my score. I always did terrible on those types of questions anyway so maybe spending more time on questions I was more likely to answer correctly was better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Welp. Survived Step 2. I'll do a post for future readers when I get my score in 2 weeks.

It was a little concerning that I flagged basically half the test. But worst case scenario I think i'll get the same exact score as step 1 (~220). So i'll learn to live with that.

Personally I felt like the Divine Risk factors podcast was very high yield. Theres a reddit user that posted an anki deck. Felt it was very helpful for most of the test.

Reactions: 8 users
Welp. Survived Step 2. I'll do a post for future readers when I get my score in 2 weeks.

It was a little concerning that I flagged basically half the test. But worst case scenario I think i'll get the same exact score as step 1 (~220). So i'll learn to live with that.

Personally I felt like the Divine Risk factors podcast was very high yield. Theres a reddit user that posted an anki deck. Felt it was very helpful for most of the test.

I'm blasting through this deck right now as a last minute review. Haven't used Anki in over a year.... it feels so good.

In hindsight I wish I had used it at least as an adjunct for CK studying, if only for those pesky forgettable things like glycogen storage / lysosomal disorders, pregnancy screening guidelines, obscure drug side effects, etc. Too late now, rip. Taking CK tomorrow!

DO student
Step 1: 230
Step 2 CK: 237 (ill take this over that < 500 level 2 ce i got)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Your friends at the NBME will certainly like that you reviewed Divine... Divine is the Goljan equivalent for Step 2 CK.

Your friends at the NBME will certainly like that you reviewed Divine... Divine is the Goljan equivalent for Step 2 CK.
Agreed. I will say for a good portion of the test I was completely lost when i first read most of the question. Like no idea what the question even wanted. So I just flagged it, guessed and moved on.

On the 2nd pass I heard his voice and was like ok it seems like it could be this.

Agreed. I will say for a good portion of the test I was completely lost when i first read most of the question. Like no idea what the question even wanted. So I just flagged it, guessed and moved on.
On the 2nd pass I heard his voice and was like ok it seems like it could be this.
UWorld helpful or nah?

UWorld helpful or nah?
..? more like yay. of course it's helpful, it's still the gold standard for USMLE test prep.
Agreed with phagocytosis. Personally, it really helped rationalize problems and get really effective for "whats the best next step" type of questions.

Kinda trains you to check the vitals, pt complaint and focus more on whats the biggest issue right now. There was a ton of first order questions but there was a good number where I had no clue what was happening or what was wrong with the person. UW helped alot to pick the best answer in my mind.

So Uworld helped a lot with those types of questions.

Agreed with phagocytosis. Personally, it really helped rationalize problems and get really effective for "whats the best next step" type of questions.

Kinda trains you to check the vitals, pt complaint and focus more on whats the biggest issue right now. There was a ton of first order questions but there was a good number where I had no clue what was happening or what was wrong with the person. UW helped alot to pick the best answer in my mind.

So Uworld helped a lot with those types of questions.
Thanks. I did both Amboss and Uworld and i definitely feel like Uworld is better at teaching me how to approach a question etc. whereas Amboss was just straight up fking with me. I was considering re-doing Amboss but i think i'll just stick to Uworld incorrects.

Thanks. I did both Amboss and Uworld and i definitely feel like Uworld is better at teaching me how to approach a question etc. whereas Amboss was just straight up fking with me. I was considering re-doing Amboss but i think i'll just stick to Uworld incorrects.
good decision! certainly use Amboss if you want as well, as those are harder questions.

Almost time for me to face the music...

Step 1: 244
Level 1: 709

Step 2 Uworld 1st Pass: ??
Step 2 Uworld 2nd Pass: ~74%
Uworld SA1 (7 weeks): 257
NBME7 (5.5 weeks): 233
NBME6 (4 weeks): 256
Combank Assessment (4 weeks): 718-727
NBME8 (1.5 weeks): 254
Uworld SA2 (1 week): 249
Old Free 120 (3 days): 87.5%
New Free 120 (2 days): 80%
Comquest Assessment (3 days): 736

Step 2 CK (08/28): ?? (Predictmystep: 254 +13; Reddit Predictor: 256)
Level 2 CE (09/03): ??

Got my score back today. 262! So happy :)

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

My exam is in 2 days. Tomorrow I’ll just be reviewing my own notes, take it easy and rest.

Is that anki deck for the risk factors questions sufficient enough? Or should I listen to the podcasts? Please let me know. Thank you

My exam is in 2 days. Tomorrow I’ll just be reviewing my own notes, take it easy and rest.

Is that anki deck for the risk factors questions sufficient enough? Or should I listen to the podcasts? Please let me know. Thank you

Just my opinion,

flashcards > listening to podcast.

Anyone else barely improving on Uworld Averages - 85% for UW pass 1 (granted these were done by subject and I did redo 3 sections), 87.4% for UW Pass 2 -_-
Took Old Free 120 and got 91.7%

~So I am 6 days out~

NBME 6 (4 weeks out) - 235
NBME 7 (3 weeks out) - 215
UWSA 1 (2 weeks out) - 255
UWSA 2 (6 days out) - 251
UW 2nd pass %: 80

I'm planning to do both free 120s. Im wondering if NBME 8 is worth doing? I kinda don't feel like doing/paying for it and also feel if I did do it, it should have been before UWSA 2 lol.

Thanks all for the help.
New Free 120 was 76%
Step 1: 230-234
Actual Step 2: 255-259

I guess I got lucky--got above both UWSAs. It's nice to finally have done pretty well on something. The biggest change I made was NOT using premade anki decks as religiously and highly focusing on questions while making my own cards. I have an average memory, so anki is still highly useful for me in retaining information. But, I do not think there is utility in endlessly beating yourself to death with premade anki cards (ie zanki). I focused on concepts and then memorized as necessary. That being said, I did use Tzanki for shelf exams to get initial exposure on rotation but I did not maintain those decks throughout the year. I completed UWorld by section for every shelf exam as well. I tried to study mostly during clinic downtime in 3rd year and took most nights and weekends off and did not kill myself at all. I focused a lot on personal hobbies and chilling in 3rd year because I was extremely burned out from step 1. Back in second year, I spent 5-8 hrs a day doing zanki on top of class work and I was not about to do that again in 3rd year especially since it didn't lend the expected results for my actual step 1 score. I had a fairly long dedicated period of about 7 weeks--so that helped as well. Anyways, don't kill yourselves and stop obsessing over doing the same anki deck as everyone else is the moral of the story!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
New Free 120 was 76%
Step 1: 230-234
Actual Step 2: 255-259

I guess I got lucky--got above both UWSAs. It's nice to finally have done pretty well on something. The biggest change I made was NOT using premade anki decks as religiously and highly focusing on questions while making my own cards. I have an average memory, so anki is still highly useful for me in retaining information. But, I do not think there is utility in endlessly beating yourself to death with premade anki cards (ie zanki). I focused on concepts and then memorized as necessary. That being said, I did use Tzanki for shelf exams to get initial exposure on rotation but I did not maintain those decks throughout the year. I completed UWorld by section for every shelf exam as well. I tried to study mostly during clinic downtime in 3rd year and took most nights off and did not kill myself at all. Back in second year, I spent 5-8 hrs a day doing zanki on top of class work and I was not about to do that again in 3rd year especially since it didn't lend the expected results for my actual step 1 score. I had a fairly long dedicated period of about 7 weeks--so that helped as well. Anyways, don't kill yourselves and stop obsessing over doing the same anki deck as everyone else is the moral of the story!
incredible. i hope i can emulate your success

Took CK today, that was horrific. I've never guessed on so many questions before, and a lot of questions where I should have known the answer but couldn't pull it out or wasn't confident. Predicting I'll land in the high 240's.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
nope! 4th year taking step 2 in 14 days D: my step 1 was a 233 so similar to yours!

Good luck!

Took CK today, that was horrific. I've never guessed on so many questions before, and a lot of questions where I should have known the answer but couldn't pull it out or wasn't confident. Predicting I'll land in the high 240's.

It's such a weird test. Yeah that feeling of "I should know this but don't" came up constantly.

Maybe they will listen to you. Said the same thing in Step 1 thread. Pre made deck are trash. You want a high score make your own deck + questions!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Dislike