Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did everyone get the same BIDMC email?
Are you talking about this email they sent on 8/27?

"Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your application to the GI Fellowship Program at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, MA. We appreciate your interest in our program.

We use a three-tiered process of application review, which can be time-consuming due to vacations during the summer months. This process should be completed within the next 10-14 days, and we plan to send out our initial invitations for interview during the week of September 7th. All of our interviews will be held through zoom, so you will not be expected to travel. We realize that many other programs have already sent out invitations and want to reassure you we have your packet and are carefully reviewing it. Thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,

Sarah N. Flier, MD
Gastroenterology Fellowship Program Director"

Reactions: 1 user
Are you talking about this email they sent on 8/27?

"Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your application to the GI Fellowship Program at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, MA. We appreciate your interest in our program.

We use a three-tiered process of application review, which can be time-consuming due to vacations during the summer months. This process should be completed within the next 10-14 days, and we plan to send out our initial invitations for interview during the week of September 7th. All of our interviews will be held through zoom, so you will not be expected to travel. We realize that many other programs have already sent out invitations and want to reassure you we have your packet and are carefully reviewing it. Thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,

Sarah N. Flier, MD
Gastroenterology Fellowship Program Director"
Yeah, was just wondering if everyone got this same letter

Members don't see this ad :)
so deaconess has a new PD now? what happened to Ciaran kelly? anyone knows? back in my days he was the pd

Scheduling issues -

Can anyone swap Geisenger 10/4 for my 10/5?

Or Aurora 10/5 for 10/7 or 10/14? Please let me know!

Who wants to take a Georgetown 9/22 for any other date?.....

Will offer financial compensation as well (name your price). Went unmatched last year and can't afford to miss this again. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Are programs done inviting? I haven't received anything in almost 2 weeks lol. I guess GI is that tough....

Is anyone out there still without invites? This has been an incredibly discouraging process.

Has anyone sent letters (emails) of interest and heard anything. I waited until the first few days of September, targeted programs in the same tier I IV'd last year, and haven't heard anything. At least an acknoledgement or something. This has been brutal

Went from having 9 interviews last year... to 0 so far. I'm completely baffled.
I'm sorry, that's awful. Definitely have had fewer interviews and lower-tier interviews since when I applied as a resident. There is definitely a stigma if you are out of training, mitigated if you're a chief.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, that's awful. Definitely have had fewer interviews and lower-tier interviews since when I applied as a resident. There is definitely a stigma if you are out of training, mitigated if you're a chief.
oh wow, what changed from last year to this year?
I am doing a chief year at a University affiliated academic institution. And as for what changed... I have no idea. I had 4 abstract publications accepted, a few extra posters presentations, did stuff like Resident council, became a co-chairman for a research conference...

Maybe one of my letter writers screwed me and I don't know. I did ask for new letters, but I don't know what I could have done to fall out of the light of these people. This has been tough on my psyche, I can't lie. I thought I had a great shot this time with everything I did to improve my CV

I am doing a chief year at a University affiliated academic institution. And as for what changed... I have no idea. I had 4 abstract publications accepted, a few extra posters presentations, did stuff like Resident council, became a co-chairman for a research conference...

Maybe one of my letter writers screwed me and I don't know. I did ask for new letters, but I don't know what I could have done to fall out of the light of these people. This has been tough on my psyche, I can't lie. I thought I had a great shot this time with everything I did to improve my CV
I'm still suffering from the anguish of not matching last time. It was a huge blow, and I'm sorry you're going through something similar. There's so many variables that as applicants we don't even know about, you could have been passed up for things far beyond your control. With any luck you'll get some options before the season is up.

Has anyone sent letters (emails) of interest and heard anything. I waited until the first few days of September, targeted programs in the same tier I IV'd last year, and haven't heard anything. At least an acknoledgement or something. This has been brutal
I sent 6 so far, received 1 response (a rejection lol).

I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m hoping that you’re at least getting communications from programs? I was freaked out not to get emails for a while until at least rejections started coming in.

Have you spoken to your letter writers or to your PD? Did you address the re-application somewhere in your app? I ask because I know others in your situation.

Just saw that many people received rejection from University of Kentucky. I haven’t received it yet. Does that mean I may get an interview? Has anyone else gotten an interview from there?

Just saw that many people received rejection from University of Kentucky. I haven’t received it yet. Does that mean I may get an interview? Has anyone else gotten an interview from there?
Where are you seeing people received rejection? It's true nonetheless, I received my rejection today from them. I hope for your sake it means you are still in the running!

Where are you seeing people received rejection? It's true nonetheless, I received my rejection today from them. I hope for your sake it means you are still in the running!
This is on one of the many Whatsapp groups that I am a part of. And no, I didn’t get an interview yet lol.

it means you are in waitlist... does not necessarily mean u ll get iv...

Has anyone with H1B gotten an interview this season? I am so disappointed with the season.

first time applying? How many IVs thus far? In general, H1 from comm programs wont get as many IVs as big name progs
Didn't match during residency, so finished my J1 waiver and now applied on H1B with good research and good LORs. And still no interviews so far. Very disappointing.

Didn't match during residency, so finished my J1 waiver and now applied on H1B with good research and good LORs. And still no interviews so far. Very disappointing.
sadly this scenario is not unfamiliar. contacts are key. Getting GC and moving to academic place for job may be your best options

Is it fair to say that this is probably the last week we will be getting interview invites?

I’m a few interviews in, but with the virtual format, really having trouble figuring out major differences between programs or what I should be looking for.

Anyone who is a fellow or done fellowship know what big things to look out for that we wouldn’t necessarily think of as applicants?

I’m a few interviews in, but with the virtual format, really having trouble figuring out major differences between programs or what I should be looking for.

Anyone who is a fellow or done fellowship know what big things to look out for that we wouldn’t necessarily think of as applicants?
- Call Schedules
- Inpatient Day to Day
- EMR systems
- All the Different Hospitals you cover (how far apart they are)
- How vacations are structured
- Didactics (feel like some programs put a lot on the fellows to do presentations while others make an effort to have it be more like half and half with the attending staff providing a good amount of presentations)
- Educational stipends (also some programs provide housing stipends- thru training program unions- or relocation stipends)
- If you’re ever primary on patients
- If interested in hep, want to make sure have dedicated hep faculty and if is it is a transplant center
- Ancillary support (tech support, who preps the carts and clean scopes, support from staff for prior-auths)
- Advanced rotations: Motility, IBD, interventional and liver rotations
- Research support (funding, statisticians or other research support staff)
- Mentorship opportunities
- Maybe most important how happy are the fellows (if they feel well supported or taken care of and if the program is providing them with what they want out of their career/were promised when interviewing).
- What kinda of careers recent grads went into and where they ended up

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know anything about UT Houston and Mount Sinai Beth Israel general reputations. Like is UTH mainly an IMG program, MSBI a malignant NYC program? Sorry if this is not the right place for this.

- Call Schedules
- Inpatient Day to Day
- EMR systems
- Didactics (feel like some programs put a lot on the fellows to do presentations while others make an effort to have it be more like half and half with the attending staff providing a good amount of presentations)
- Educational stipends (also some programs provide housing stipends- thru training program unions- or relocation stipends)
- If interested in hep, want to make sure have dedicated hep faculty and if is it is a transplant center
- Ancillary support (tech support, who preps the carts and clean scopes, support from staff for prior-auths)
- Maybe most important how happy are the fellows (if they feel well supported or taken care of and if the program is providing them with what they want out of their career/were promised when interviewing).
Thank you. This is pretty much what I’ve been looking for, but have found a lot of similarities between several programs. Really tough to capture the subtle differences over virtual but I guess will have to try to tease those out another way.

Anyone willing to and/or looking to swap their Loma Linda interview date (either 9/23 or 10/11) FOR 10/1? Message me if you're interested

Is anyone able to swap their Loyola interview? Looking for 9/18 or 10/2 for my 10/9!

- Call Schedules
- Inpatient Day to Day
- EMR systems
This one should be at the top, bolder underlined.
Being the primary team will be a hidden misery for some that didn’t like being primary team in residency. Makes you feel like a resident again.
In particular ask if the liver service is inpatient and like this as opposed to outpatient/liver consult style.
Place that say “we are a big liver place” tend to slap you onto an inpatient liver service and repeat residency essentially as the primary team getting paged by the nurse whenever the patient has back pain.

Reactions: 1 users
This one should be at the top, bolder underlined.
Being the primary team will be a hidden misery for some that didn’t like being primary team in residency. Makes you feel like a resident again.
In particular ask if the liver service is inpatient and like this as opposed to outpatient/liver consult style.
Place that say “we are a big liver place” tend to slap you onto an inpatient liver service and repeat residency essentially as the primary team getting paged by the nurse whenever the patient has back pain.
I feel like most of the places I interviewed at had a primary liver service. I think the differentiating factors to tease out are if you will be first call at any point, how many months you have to do and who is on the service (NPs, interns? etc), what the census is. liver transplant is pretty miserable and hepatologists tend to be a bit more anal than general GI people.

For those who are reapplicants/know people who reapplied, what did you/they do differently this cycle to stand out? Trying to be realistic in case I don't match this cycle...

Reactions: 1 users
For those who are reapplicants/know people who reapplied, what did you/they do differently this cycle to stand out? Trying to be realistic in case I don't match this cycle...
More publications and oral presentations. But most importantly working with highly accomplished/well connected mentors as they will call for you.

How long can we expect more invites? Or are we pretty much done?

How long can we expect more invites? Or are we pretty much done?
It feels like we are done....I mean who is going to cancel a GI interview? Let's hope for the best I guess.

It feels like we are done....I mean who is going to cancel a GI interview? Let's hope for the best I guess.
You're saying this with ~50 programs having not sent out any interview invites. You shouldn't be sounding off about something when you're not informed. Last year there were interview invites going out until beginning of October.