USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Got the appointment reminder call from my Prometric center today and it all feels so real now lol. I know I should trust my practice scores (last couple weeks: NBME 23: 250, NBME 18: 260, UWSA 2: 260, Free 120: 95%) but still can't help but feel like it's all an overprediction and I'm hemorrhaging knowledge every second and I have soooo many more things I need to look over one last time before the exam. But on the other hand I can barely do anything, I'm so burned out. Literally can't wait for this thing to be over.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the appointment reminder call from my Prometric center today and it all feels so real now lol. I know I should trust my practice scores (last couple weeks: NBME 23: 250, NBME 18: 260, UWSA 2: 260, Free 120: 95%) but still can't help but feel like it's all an overprediction and I'm hemorrhaging knowledge every second and I have soooo many more things I need to look over one last time before the exam. But on the other hand I can barely do anything, I'm so burned out. Literally can't wait for this thing to be over.
in the same boat.....I finished reading FA again today. Started out strong with it. not so much anymore haha I read two chapters a day. Maybe something will stick. Probably wasted my time doing it. Im gunna just read the first 3 chapters of Pathoma and click through the sketchy pharm section and its going to be what its going to be

Members don't see this ad :)
Flagged about 6 per block. I’m not very liberal with flags so I only flag something I actually think seeing it again might help. I can count the wtf questions on 1 hand. Thought it was pretty fair
That sounds a lot better than many people ive talked to! Sounds like you crushed it! Congrats on being done!

Flagged about 6 per block. I’m not very liberal with flags so I only flag something I actually think seeing it again might help. I can count the wtf questions on 1 hand. Thought it was pretty fair
Letssgooooooo. You definitely destroyed it man! You had some fire practice scores. Can't wait to see you dropping that 260 lol

Officially done studying guys lol feels so good. Just gotta wake up monday and take it
You're gunna kill it man! I really appreciate the support you've shown for many others in this group! I wish you all the best! Lets do the damn thing

Reactions: 1 users

We have very similar scores, and I feel exactly the same way. 1.5 weeks out!

You're not alone :)

PS - what was your UWSA1?

Last edited:
We have very similar scores, and I feel exactly the same way. 1.5 weeks out!

You're not alone :)

PS - what was your UWSA1?

Always helps to now others feel this way too lol. So close to being done! My UWSA 1 was 266 but I took it soooo long ago (like April) because my dedicated was broken up by Covid rescheduling craziness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Always helps to now others feel this way too lol. So close to being done! My UWSA 1 was 266 but I took it soooo long ago (like April) because my dedicated was broken up by Covid rescheduling craziness.
Keep it up. If the near exact match in our scores also means that our workload has been comparable, then I know how much you've put into this! Good luck!

Keep it up. If the near exact match in our scores also means that our workload has been comparable, then I know how much you've put into this! Good luck!

Thanks! Just taking it easy today before testing tomorrow. Hoping all that work pays off on test day for both of us!

First day of rotations tomorrow and I'm getting slightly more nervous by the hour. I'm starting with inpatient peds and I hope I don't look like too much of an incompetent idiot. Luckily most of my rotations this first semester are in specialties I'm not interested in so I can stumble around a little bit without being overly worried about needing to make a good impression. My school bought us OME and our class got a UWorld discount so those are going to be my top 2 resources along with Anki.

Good luck to everyone testing soon and can't wait to see y'all over on the Step 2 thread!

• Love
First day of rotations tomorrow and I'm getting slightly more nervous by the hour. I'm starting with inpatient peds and I hope I don't look like too much of an incompetent idiot. Luckily most of my rotations this first semester are in specialties I'm not interested in so I can stumble around a little bit without being overly worried about needing to make a good impression.

Expectations are low in the beginning of third year. Attendings and residents know you are just starting.

First day of rotations tomorrow and I'm getting slightly more nervous by the hour. I'm starting with inpatient peds and I hope I don't look like too much of an incompetent idiot. Luckily most of my rotations this first semester are in specialties I'm not interested in so I can stumble around a little bit without being overly worried about needing to make a good impression. My school bought us OME and our class got a UWorld discount so those are going to be my top 2 resources along with Anki.

Good luck to everyone testing soon and can't wait to see y'all over on the Step 2 thread!
I start a week from today and I'm still barely moved into my new place. My life is a mess right now and I Really need to stop eating dairy queen all day and actually get ready to get back on the grind

• Love
First day of rotations tomorrow and I'm getting slightly more nervous by the hour.
I've been on FM for a week now and it's been pretty nice, they really don't expect you to know that much. I've gotten to do some really cool stuff so far and it's sooo much better than class haha

Reactions: 2 users
Kinda feel like I just blacked out for 8 hours but it's OVER. Congrats to all who also took it today, we did it!

Reactions: 4 users
Kinda feel like I just blacked out for 8 hours but it's OVER. Congrats to all who also took it today, we did it!
I really dont know how to feel lol there was so much i didnt know. Felt like a mixture of free 120 and NBMEs Did not feel like UW felt way more vague. Kinda nervous since it really did feel more like new NBMEs than old and those were my worst practice scores

Got a 85% on Free120, and today felt like I might have been studying for a different test. Good luck everyone!

For last minuters, Rapid Review in first aid was actually helpful. There was more than a handful I got just from reviewing that last night.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who took their exam on or around 7/16...think we're getting our scores this week? I'm scared like hell cuz I feel like I bombed it but still wanna know lol

For those who took their exam on or around 7/16...think we're getting our scores this week? I'm scared like hell cuz I feel like I bombed it but still wanna know lol
Should be rolling around on WEd. My permit is gone and everything I want to poop myself and vomit whenever I think about it

Last edited:
Lol dude I felt exactly how you described when you took it. Do you remember how many you flagged per block compared to UWorld? I probably flagged a little less than double of what I usually flag on UW. So. Friggn. Scary lmao
For I think 5 blocks I flagged 8
2 blocks I flagged probably 12ish

I usually flag 8 for Uword blocks. For the NBMEs I flagged like 15ish
I'm pretty liberal when it comes to flagging

Should be rolling around on WEd. My permit is gone and everything I want to poop myself and vomit whenever I think about it
oh dope so we're on the same page lmao I'm sure you got a 230 though!! me on the other hand....i'd **** myself happy if I got a 220. Part of me feels like I'm gonna get a 190

For I think 5 blocks I flagged 8
2 blocks I flagged probably 12ish

I usually flag 8 for Uword blocks. For the NBMEs I flagged like 15ish
I'm pretty liberal when it comes to flagging
Yeah i flagged about 10-12ish per block today and I usually flag about 7-8 on UW. I also flag very liberally (for me to not flag i have to be 100% confident in my answer)

Lol dude I felt exactly how you described when you took it. Do you remember how many you flagged per block compared to UWorld? I probably flagged a little less than double of what I usually flag on UW. So. Friggn. Scary lmao
If it makes you feel better I flagged at least double if not more than I did in UWorld.

• Love
If it makes you feel better I flagged at least double if not more than I did in UWorld.
It makes me feel A LOT better lmao thank you. Honestly walked out feeling like i could have scored all over the place lol. There were some that I think were so straight forward I was like are they really asking me this/has to be a catch and so that messed with my head a little then the other half were questions where I was like 50/50 and then the rest were WTF

It makes me feel A LOT better lmao thank you. Honestly walked out feeling like i could have scored all over the place lol. There were some that I think were so straight forward I was like are they really asking me this/has to be a catch and so that messed with my head a little then the other half were questions where I was like 50/50 and then the rest were WTF
Yeah at first I was feeling good now as the days have gone by I feel worse and worse. I’m started my OB rotation today so that should keep me plenty busy until my score comes back.

What? I think they release scores on wednesday after 3-4 weeks.
I took mine on 7/18.

I felt pretty much exactly the same. I think you probably killed it! Enjoy the freedom.

So if anyone is open to hearing my views of Step 1, I am finished with it. I kinda blacked out for about 8 hours straight. I literally cannot think of more than 2 or 3 questions total. Definitely of the style of free 120 and newer NBMEs so know those like the back of your hand. I saw maybe 1 or 2 free 120 questions and I think I recognized a repeat or two from the NBMES. Overall I don't feel great about the test but I don't feel like I tanked it either. I flagged anywhere from 8 to 13 a block. Im a slow test taker so ill usually stare at the ones I don't know until something comes to me. Doesn't leave a whole lot of time to go back through them but I had a reasoning for putting an answer down for all but two questions maybe 3 (they were just plain hard haha). Surprisingly pharm heavy. Took easy drugs and asked hard question on their MOA. Definitely doable though. I only googled a handful that I could remember and they were the kind of questions that despite googling still not 100% sure I got it lol. Immuno was out of left field at times but easy at others. People say Pathoma 1-3 is high yield. They are not kidding. Saw maybe 15 to 20 questions that were word for word from King Sattar. Overall it was a challenging test and there was a lot of questions that I was unsure of or felt like I was shooting in dark for but then again I felt like that on NBME and free 120 at times. Just more of it on step. Anxious to get my score back. I don't remember any questions which is weird but I keep getting these PTSD flashbacks and there's a Pitt in my stomach. Then it'll fade and Come back randomly in a few hours. Any advice from me, Know your nbmes and free 120 because that's the style test you're going to get. Just more challenging. Thought my stems were about the same length as them maybe a sentence or 2 more on a couple. No one liners unfortunately

samesies, same date, permit gone (gulp)

So if anyone is open to hearing my views of Step 1, I am finished with it. I kinda blacked out for about 8 hours straight. I literally cannot think of more than 2 or 3 questions total. Definitely of the style of free 120 and newer NBMEs so know those like the back of your hand. I saw maybe 1 or 2 free 120 questions and I think I recognized a repeat or two from the NBMES. Overall I don't feel great about the test but I don't feel like I tanked it either. I flagged anywhere from 8 to 13 a block. Im a slow test taker so ill usually stare at the ones I don't know until something comes to me. Doesn't leave a whole lot of time to go back through them but I had a reasoning for putting an answer down for all but two questions maybe 3 (they were just plain hard haha). Surprisingly pharm heavy. Took easy drugs and asked hard question on their MOA. Definitely doable though. I only googled a handful that I could remember and they were the kind of questions that despite googling still not 100% sure I got it lol. Immuno was out of left field at times but easy at others. People say Pathoma 1-3 is high yield. They are not kidding. Saw maybe 15 to 20 questions that were word for word from King Sattar. Overall it was a challenging test and there was a lot of questions that I was unsure of or felt like I was shooting in dark for but then again I felt like that on NBME and free 120 at times. Just more of it on step. Anxious to get my score back. I don't remember any questions which is weird but I keep getting these PTSD flashbacks and there's a Pitt in my stomach. Then it'll fade and Come back randomly in a few hours. Any advice from me, Know your nbmes and free 120 because that's the style test you're going to get. Just more challenging. Thought my stems were about the same length as them maybe a sentence or 2 more on a couple. No one liners unfortunately
We took the same test yesterday! EXACT same feels to a T. Flagged around same number of questions. We got a hard form which may help us since I think our practice scores were pretty solid