USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
For people who kept up with zanki, how are you guys doing on practice q's? I'm kind of mortified how badly I'm doing once I set q banks to random despite having ~70% of zanki done. I miss questions that should be so obvious after doing the cards, like syphilis -> aortic issues despite having done those cards hundreds of times.
What qbank? I find this is highly dependent on my state of mind while doing the questions (ie, how tired I am), so I've been trying to do questions in the middle of my study day instead of saving them for the end. I miss some really stupid stuff sometimes, stuff that I know I know, but I'm not too concerned because I feel like filling in those gaps is more about perfecting my test taking habits than anything else. I've heard not to put too much stock into % correct on qbanks other than UWorld, and just focus on learning from them.

Reactions: 1 user
For people who kept up with zanki, how are you guys doing on practice q's? I'm kind of mortified how badly I'm doing once I set q banks to random despite having ~70% of zanki done. I miss questions that should be so obvious after doing the cards, like syphilis -> aortic issues despite having done those cards hundreds of times.

I do random including everything except the last system I've not covered yet. I'm at 80% on Kaplan, averaging about ~4 misses per block of questions I knew the content but didn't apply correctly

I've been getting wrecked on a bad run of blocks the last week or so which isn't fun but is refining the Zanki knowledge. You need to be tracking your misses and analyzing what you're getting wrong so you can figure out if you've got a basic content problem or if you're doing poorly at applying what you do know

Reactions: 1 users
What qbank? I find this is highly dependent on my state of mind while doing the questions (ie, how tired I am), so I've been trying to do questions in the middle of my study day instead of saving them for the end. I miss some really stupid stuff sometimes, stuff that I know I know, but I'm not too concerned because I feel like filling in those gaps is more about perfecting my test taking habits than anything else. I've heard not to put too much stock into % correct on qbanks other than UWorld, and just focus on learning from them.

Kaplan qbank, which does have some nit-picky question that I don't mind getting wrong, but I miss more than I should IMO.

I do random including everything except the last system I've not covered yet. I'm at 80% on Kaplan, averaging about ~4 misses per block of questions I knew the content but didn't apply correctly

I've been getting wrecked on a bad run of blocks the last week or so which isn't fun but is refining the Zanki knowledge. You need to be tracking your misses and analyzing what you're getting wrong so you can figure out if you've got a basic content problem or if you're doing poorly at applying what you do know

80% is really good, nice job. I'm at like 65%, granted I do some questions that I have never learned, but the majority of things I get wrong are things I should know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted on the general forum but if any of guys would be kind enough to predict my score I would greatly appreciate it! USMD taking step this week! Goal is 240+ but I wouldn't be upset with anything between 230-240.

NBME 20 (baseline): 211

UWSA1 (4 weeks): 245

NBME 21 (3 weeks): 217

NBME 24 (2 weeks): 225

NBME 18 (1 week): 228

UWSA2 (4 days): 241

Free 120 (3 days): 84%

Thanks!

I have this same problem. The other day I had a question about brief psychotic disorder vs schizophreniform vs schizophrenia which I had literally just seen in Zanki and yet still got it wrong based on the duration of symptoms. It's one thing to flat out not know the content because I haven't gotten to it yet or still need to review it more thoroughly but missing things that I know I know is very frustrating. I'm trying to not worry so much about timing right now and really take time to think through the question before answering since some of these mistakes are because I'm trying to answer in 90 seconds or however much time it is we have per question to finish on time on the real thing but I definitely need to focus on content right now and speed will come later. Zanki can be a double-edged sword because I've gotten a lot of questions right because of Zanki but also some wrong because I'm used to seeing the card but not applying the concept so that's something I need to shore up in these next 4 months before D-day. We got this!

I posted on the general forum but if any of guys would be kind enough to predict my score I would greatly appreciate it! USMD taking step this week! Goal is 240+ but I wouldn't be upset with anything between 230-240.

NBME 20 (baseline): 211

UWSA1 (4 weeks): 245

NBME 21 (3 weeks): 217

NBME 24 (2 weeks): 225

NBME 18 (1 week): 228

UWSA2 (4 days): 241

Free 120 (3 days): 84%

Thanks!

I think you're in a good position to hit 230+

Dominate it and go get the 240+

Med school has basically turned into a competition of who can memorize zanki the best. I look around campus and everyone (myself included) is just mindlessly memorizing that deck. The average will just continue to creep up as people become more and more efficient with resources, ignore class material more and more, etc. I hate that our education is distilled down to memorizing a bunch of buzz words and facts from this deck, but it's a product of the way medical education is viewed and rewarded in this country.

Well said!!, I didn't touch Zanki for step 1....and I fully intend on keeping it that way for step 2 ck!....just kidding this time I am definitely using Zanki for step 2, I need to step my game up!

Does anyone else find Rx biochem questions way harder than UWorld or is it just me? I also feel that Rx biochem q's incorporate more pathology than UW.

Does anyone else find Rx biochem questions way harder than UWorld or is it just me? I also feel that Rx biochem q's incorporate more pathology than UW.
Starting their biochem questions today, I'll let you know what I think. I haven't done any UWorld yet though, saving that for March onward.

I have a little more than 22k cards matured and hitting about 70% on Kaplan right now. I'd say about 1/3 of my misses are things i've genuinely never seen before, the other 2/3 comes from not knowing the details well enough from zanki that I pinch myself knowing I should have gotten those correct.

How is everyone reviewing their practice questions? I'm not sure if I should start a new deck with my incorrects, or just jot them down in a notebook or something.

I have a little more than 22k cards matured and hitting about 70% on Kaplan right now. I'd say about 1/3 of my misses are things i've genuinely never seen before, the other 2/3 comes from not knowing the details well enough from zanki that I pinch myself knowing I should have gotten those correct.

How is everyone reviewing their practice questions? I'm not sure if I should start a new deck with my incorrects, or just jot them down in a notebook or something.

I keep a spreadsheet to track types of misses and a word document organized bullet-point style with the information for any question I didn't know restated briefly in my own words

Reactions: 2 users
I keep a spreadsheet to track types of misses and a word document organized bullet-point style with the information for any question I didn't know restated briefly in my own words

Did this too initially although I gave up before dedicated started. Was super helpful to organize thinking about why you miss questions though and start to tackle that metacognition aspect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bro that is funny you are mentioning this rn. Me and my boy are getting wreckkkkkedd by Rx biochem holy **** they are hard. IMO the hard ones are harder than UW but about same as UW in difficulty. We’ll get better and better with more questions keep your head up you arent alone. Literally was just laughin about this today how hard they are

• Haha
Bro that is funny you are mentioning this rn. Me and my boy are getting wreckkkkkedd by Rx biochem holy **** they are hard. IMO the hard ones are harder than UW but about same as UW in difficulty. We’ll get better and better with more questions keep your head up you arent alone. Literally was just laughin about this today how hard they are
Rx questions are submitted by students and I am totally convinced they’re all gunners trying to prove how smart they are by making the questions SUPER obscure and low yield. The whole notion that doing Rx is just ways to get asked about FA is bull. I saw tons of questions that were absolutely not in FA and completely worthless for the real exam.

Only ~6% through UWorld and currently sitting at ~62% but if not for total brain farts, should easily be 65-70%. I'm a little concerned that a lot of the little facts I'm missing in the ones I get wrong are written almost verbatim in a Zanki card that I have seen and yet I'm still not connecting the dots or recalling. Have yet to do the lolnotacop deck and the bulk of my micro and pharm review (my school has done a suboptimal job with micro and by suboptimal I mean we've barely covered it at all) so I can accept missing some of those questions but I've felt really good with path/phys/biochem etc so I get frustrated when I miss what should be a gimme on those based on Zanki. Hopefully working through both UWorld and Kaplan, finishing Zanki and B&B/Sketchy/Pathoma over these next 4 months helps me push my average up a bit. Goal is 230 so nothing crazy but would like to get that average to 70 if not higher.

Rx questions are submitted by students and I am totally convinced they’re all gunners trying to prove how smart they are by making the questions SUPER obscure and low yield. The whole notion that doing Rx is just ways to get asked about FA is bull. I saw tons of questions that were absolutely not in FA and completely worthless for the real exam.
Agree 100%. There are a lot of Rx questions that are not in first aid

Have yet to do the lolnotacop deck and the bulk of my micro and pharm review
Getting through lolnotacop and a pharm deck alone should help you a lot. Those decks are gold, I almost never miss micro or pharm questions.

Getting through lolnotacop and a pharm deck alone should help you a lot. Those decks are gold, I almost never miss micro or pharm questions.
Agree. pepper decks also great. But to reiterate what you are saying i almost never miss any pharm or micro questions solely because of these decks/sketchy

Anyone know what order/which practice exams they are taking? I'm considering taking a baseline around my spring break to light a fire under my butt for motivation haha. Test date end of June

Anyone know what order/which practice exams they are taking? I'm considering taking a baseline around my spring break to light a fire under my butt for motivation haha. Test date end of June

I'm testing in mid-June and my plan is to take NBME 18 on the first day of spring break in early March as a baseline (3 months out), UWSA1 in mid-May on the first day of dedicated (~4.5 weeks out), NBME 20-24 throughout dedicated (a little ambitious but that's the goal) then UWSA2 1 week out and the free 120 3-4 days out. Test is on a Monday so I'd like to be done with everything that previous Friday and use the weekend to do light review and try to relax.

I'm testing in mid-June and my plan is to take NBME 18 on the first day of spring break in early March as a baseline (3 months out), UWSA1 in mid-May on the first day of dedicated (~4.5 weeks out), NBME 20-24 throughout dedicated (a little ambitious but that's the goal) then UWSA2 1 week out and the free 120 3-4 days out. Test is on a Monday so I'd like to be done with everything that previous Friday and use the weekend to do light review and try to relax.
I like this plan, I may steal it :p

In case people might be interested. Amboss is having a free step 1 self assessment week between Feb 22 to March 1st. You can register with the link below. Also I think you get access to all their step 1 materials during that week as well.

It’s hard to keep up with zanki, but I’ll be damned if it is t getting me ~80% on Kaplan question topics I’ve matured on Zanki. I still have 10,000 or so more cards to go, but I feel like a lot of the neuro cards from Kaplan are overkill and the biochem seems to be going HAM too. Thoughts on skipping some biochem and Kaplan?

It’s hard to keep up with zanki, but I’ll be damned if it is t getting me ~80% on Kaplan question topics I’ve matured on Zanki. I still have 10,000 or so more cards to go, but I feel like a lot of the neuro cards from Kaplan are overkill and the biochem seems to be going HAM too. Thoughts on skipping some biochem and Kaplan?
I've just about finished biochem minus genetics, and it is quite brutal. However, the only reason I decided to power through it was cuz one of my friends at another school said it really helped him. He got a 250 on a CBSE back in early december, and he still has another month before he sits for step...

Just finished RX biochem and got a 68%.... UW biochem was 73% first pass but i cheated on like 10 questions...lol

Any suggestion on video lectures for physiology?
Or do you think BRS and FA alone are good enough?

Just finished RX biochem and got a 68%.... UW biochem was 73% first pass but i cheated on like 10 questions...lol

Were you on tutor mode as you were going through untimed? or timed no tutor. 68% is pretty good especially if your test isnt for a few months. I ended up around a 72% but i was untimed and on tutor mode so everytime i chose an answer i was studying the explanation as in i was learning more info as I was going through so my percentage is meaningless

Last edited:

Just do BnB for everything. Dr Ryan is more than thorough almost too thorough he covers stuff for boards “and beyond” so

• Love
I've just about finished biochem minus genetics, and it is quite brutal. However, the only reason I decided to power through it was cuz one of my friends at another school said it really helped him. He got a 250 on a CBSE back in early december, and he still has another month before he sits for step...

Well, it's good to know that it'll pay off because it is soul crushing trying to get through 2200 cards of biochem.

Do those of you doing Rx add the 'easy' questions into your blocks? I've been doing untimed/tutor blocks and the default setting is to use medium/hard questions. I want to get through pretty much all of Rx, so I'm wondering if I should start checking 'easy' as well or just keep trucking on with medium/hard and this way I can definitely see all of those questions, and then I can add in 'easy' at the end if I want to keep doing Rx alongside UWorld or something. Thoughts?

Do those of you doing Rx add the 'easy' questions into your blocks? I've been doing untimed/tutor blocks and the default setting is to use medium/hard questions. I want to get through pretty much all of Rx, so I'm wondering if I should start checking 'easy' as well or just keep trucking on with medium/hard and this way I can definitely see all of those questions, and then I can add in 'easy' at the end if I want to keep doing Rx alongside UWorld or something. Thoughts?
I am doing easy medium and hard just so I see everything but if you want to get to UW quicker then just do the medium and hard ones. Thing with Rx is the easy ones are insanely easy and the hard ones are crazy hard (harder than UW in my opinion just because some of them are poorly written by students and sometimes test your knowledge on tiny minutiae that sometimes aren't even in FA BnB or Pathoma). Overall I think Rx is amazing for helping you get through first aid and applying the knowledge that is in there to make you apply it. Id say either way youre fine but would say if you can get through the medium and hard ones and start UW sooner I would do that IMO

• Love
Am I the only one that feels like B&B questions are over the top? A lot of them seem to pull info out of nowhere. They've either been really easy or insanely hard for me.
Don't worry about those lol they are just used to help you go over his main points. Just try and learn from them yeah some of them are really hard ut don't bug out about getting them right or wrong they aren't meant to be Qbank questions

Started dedicated yesterday and have exactly six weeks. I've only done 3 timed random 40 question U-world blocks so far, averaging around 80%. My goal has always been 250. I'm surprised I'm doing as well as I have since I was too lazy to keep up with my zanki cards after each block (aspects of my school's bad curriculum made this difficult). I think the key to my fairly good position (if it keeps up) is that I did around half of Amboss before dedicated - and Uworld seems easy by comparison. I'm a strong test-taker (518 on MCAT) and I think I would score 260+ had I kept up will all the zanki cards. That's not possible now - and I'm only going to do my micro/pharm cards I think. Maybe some cards on my weak subjects, like musculoskeletal, which I never did zanki for. So much of Uworld is did you memorize this fact? Plan is to complete Uworld + the two UWSAs, do all six official NBMEs and as much Amboss as possible during the next six weeks. Will update with my progress.

Last edited:
The more questions the better, so if you can do all of Rx in addition to Uworld, you should. Some of my Uworld mistakes have been easy questions, and even well-prepared students get easy questions wrong on Step 1. If you don't have time to do all of them, then focusing on the medium/hard questions makes sense.

The more questions the better, so if you can do all of Rx in addition to Uworld, you should. Some of my Uworld mistakes have been easy questions, and even well-prepared students get easy questions wrong on Step 1. If you don't have time to do all of them, then focusing on the medium/hard questions makes sense.
I think that I will continue with the medium/hard ones for now just to ensure that I see all of those no matter what. Then, once I'm finished, I can go through the easy ones fairly quickly.

Hey guys, planning on taking an NBME tomorrow. Does anyone know which is a good one to do for an accurate baseline? 3 weeks out and have been saving them. I hear 20 is really hard (not sure if thats true?) so I don't know if I want that to be my baseline. Or does anyone know where I can find reliable information on the nbme's? It's hard because they're still so new. I think I read on reddit somewhere that 24 was a good one but not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Hey guys, planning on taking an NBME tomorrow. Does anyone know which is a good one to do for an accurate baseline? 3 weeks out and have been saving them. I hear 20 is really hard (not sure if thats true?) so I don't know if I want that to be my baseline. Or does anyone know where I can find reliable information on the nbme's? It's hard because they're still so new. I think I read on reddit somewhere that 24 was a good one but not sure. Any help would be appreciated!
I am planning on starting with 20 as a baseline, probably this weekend. Want to get 20-25% of UWorld done first. It's supposed to be hard, so may give me the impetus to study hard if it goes poorly. Good for momentum too to do the low-scoring one first, since nothing's worse for momentum than declining scores.

If anyone wants to purchase BnB you can use type in the promo code "BBFEB2020". Gave me 10% off yesterday.

If anyone wants to purchase BnB you can use type in the promo code "BBFEB2020". Gave me 10% off yesterday.
You can get BnB for 9 months by getting the AMA 4-year membership for $68. You just have to say you're an OMS-1 when you joining otherwise you get the 3-year membership without the option of getting BnB.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I am gonna take UWSA1 for baseline at the end of Feb. Finally set the date for last week of march. I had to take a NBME comp for school at the end of october and got a 200. Now onwards just doing UFAP. Finished DIT once, going to do a run of it one more time. Good luck guys.

I am gonna take UWSA1 for baseline at the end of Feb. Finally set the date for last week of march. I had to take a NBME comp for school at the end of october and got a 200. Now onwards just doing UFAP. Finished DIT once, going to do a run of it one more time. Good luck guys.
How long did your school give you for dedicated?

Hello guys, this is just a general question is UWSA2 and nbme 18 still considered the most accurate assessment tests at this point? I haven’t heard much regarding the new nbmes

Anyone take the Kaplan Diagnostic test? Wondering what others thought of it and if there's any correlation with a particular step score. I got a 60% but not too sure what to make of it.

Hello guys, this is just a general question is UWSA2 and nbme 18 still considered the most accurate assessment tests at this point? I haven’t heard much regarding the new nbmes
Yeah, the latest data on reddit confirms them to be the most accurate. Anecdotally, UWSA2 tends to overpredict a bit, while NBME underpredicts a bit.

• Hmm