COMLEX Official 2019 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASGD1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year. Anyone took new Comsae recently? Hopefully it's more predicitve than old ones that were all over the place - like +/- 100 points.
Also, interesting to hear if this years comlex is indeed changed? If anyone took it recently - please share your experience. Especially if you can compare it to previous year one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My test also crash, I forget which block. Sometime in the morning.

Good times. The guy came and took his sweet time fixing it. Left for 5 minutes then came back. All while I tried not to poop myself standing in corner hoping I didn't lose time.

10-11 minutes later. Computer was fixed. Didn't lose any time. My bet is that's all on purpose lol. You are randomly assigned a number of crashes from 0-3 by the nbome to increase your stress levels.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I only had 1 issue, on a video. I played the video...tried to scroll down to view the answers...went to cross an answer out and it completely froze.
I raised my hand, and of course...there was only one person in the testing center...so I lost about 6-8 minutes. Luckily, as soon as they saw it had frozen, they turned the power to the computer off to "stop the timer". (Thank you!)

Long story short, I had to rapid skim and best guess for the last 10 questions. Luckily most of them weren't too crazy.

The thing that sucks about technical issues like that is what the recourse is:
You contact NBOME after the fact...they apologize and offer you the ability to retake the exam and scrap the old one...

HELL NO I AIN'T GOING THROUGH THAT CRAP AGAIN. Score the original! My brain can't take the abuse again. If your exam locks up, I guess you get punished by having to sit through the whole thing all over again.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my exam status was saying something like 'exam taken, score not released' now it says "you have no exams"

assuming this is just because they'll upload scores soon

my exam status was saying something like 'exam taken, score not released' now it says "you have no exams"

assuming this is just because they'll upload scores soon

Yeah. I saw that and had small MI. Atleast someone else has seen it.

Yeah. I saw that and had small MI. Atleast someone else has seen it.

x3. Might also be because they are doing some updating on the site with a scheduled outage.

... Doesn't mean I won't be checking constantly like an idiot in case they decide to do an early release (which there is a 0% chance of).

For those waiting on the edge of your seat, I decided not to retake it. We’ll see if I regret that decision in about 4 days. But right now I’m just enjoying being done with Level 1! Best decision I’ve made all day

• Love
x3. Might also be because they are doing some updating on the site with a scheduled outage.

... Doesn't mean I won't be checking constantly like an idiot in case they decide to do an early release (which there is a 0% chance of).

Ummmm. So mine still says "Exam taken, but score not yet released". Mine hasn't changed. Should I be concerned? haha took on 7/5/19. I know scores won't be released until 7/31 or 8/1.

Ummmm. So mine still says "Exam taken, but score not yet released". Mine hasn't changed. Should I be concerned? haha took on 7/5/19. I know scores won't be released until 7/31 or 8/1.

Don't worry, it went back to normal so mine says that too now :D

It will change to "Exam passed" once AT still sees fit. Happened to me 5 minutes before I got the email from our lord and saviour.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It will change to "Exam passed" once AT still sees fit. Happened to me 5 minutes before I got the email from our lord and saviour.

You seem to have insight into the great one. I hope mine says "Exam Passed" XD. Praise be to him.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cthulhu?

As some of us move into the home stretch with getting scores back does anyone have any better of a sense of what “percent” on the Comlex nets u say 400, 500, 600, ect. I understand that “percent” is pretty arbitrary in this sense but like with a few score release cycles maybe people have some ideas)

As some of us move into the home stretch with getting scores back does anyone have any better of a sense of what “percent” on the Comlex nets u say 400, 500, 600, ect. I understand that “percent” is pretty arbitrary in this sense but like with a few score release cycles maybe people have some ideas)
They don’t give a percent correct on the score report. Nobody knows and honestly nobody will ever know.

Would it change how you prepare if you knew 60% was a 450 or something?

My bad should have clarified I get my scores back this week. Not much of a reason for asking just seeing if anybody heard any more chatter to mull over for the next few days while waiting lol.

Hopefully manipulating my name was enough to let A.T Still give me the go ahead.

I literally have no idea what score to expect tomorrow/thusday.

For Step I walked out knowing I passed & it felt good; only marked a few per section.

For comlex, there were several I completely guessed, I was always racing the clock, the exam crashed in block 2, & I couldn't review any marked due to time. Legit nervous. Lol.

Mine was supposed to come 07/31 or 08/01 but I just got the email and my score is available.

Reactions: 4 users
I literally have no idea what score to expect tomorrow/thusday.

For Step I walked out knowing I passed & it felt good; only marked a few per section.

For comlex, there were several I completely guessed, I was always racing the clock, the exam crashed in block 2, & I couldn't review any marked due to time. Legit nervous. Lol.

The good news for you is you probably don't have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday because I just got my score like 5 minutes ago. I think I'm happy with it, but it's >400 so I'm pretty sure that's all I really needed it to be! Best of luck!

UWorld 1st Pass: 68%
UWorld 2nd Pass: 83% (75% completed)
NBME15: 209 (7 wks out)
COMSAE (phase1 blueprint thing): 466 (6.5 wks out)
COMBANK Level 1 Assessment: 656-671 (6.5 wks out)
NBME20: 213 (5.5 wks out)
NBME21: 228 (4.5 wks out)
NBME22: 223 (3.5 wks out)
UWSA1: 262 (3.3 wks out)
NBME18: 232 (2 wks out)
UWSA2: 245 (9 days out)
Free120: 83% (9 days out)
Reddit Predictor: 243 (95% CI: 229 - 258)

Step: 243
Comlex: 631

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Oh snap, it released a day early

103: 379 (5/10/19)
105: 428 (06/03)
104: 440 (06/08)
101: 468 (06/21)

Actual COMLEX: 543 (06/26)

I'll take it!

• Wow
Got my scores back today. Did abysmally: 420. I scored a 446 on 105 about 3 weeks before the exam. I had plans of doing OB/GYN & was hoping I could get by on COMLEX alone but that’s definitely not going to be the case. Does anyone have advice for step studying during third year? I was thinking of taking the exam around Dec since I have a relatively light first half compared to the spring. Any other advice on what seemed to be the best for Step would be appreciated too.

• Sad
Got my scores back today. Did abysmally: 420. I scored a 446 on 105 about 3 weeks before the exam. I had plans of doing OB/GYN & was hoping I could get by on COMLEX alone but that’s definitely not going to be the case. Does anyone have advice for step studying during third year? I was thinking of taking the exam around Dec since I have a relatively light first half compared to the spring. Any other advice on what seemed to be the best for Step would be appreciated too.

Sorry to hear that pal. Try to do Zanki/Sketchy during the year, study hard for your shelves, and then take a break rotation if possible as dedicated at the end of OMS-3. People taking step in year 3 do much better on average than those in year 2.

Sorry to hear that pal. Try to do Zanki/Sketchy during the year, study hard for your shelves, and then take a break rotation if possible as dedicated at the end of OMS-3. People taking step in year 3 do much better on average than those in year 2.

Thank you for the advice!

Got my score back. Don't feel like sharing but I'm pleasantly in the average for the fields im interested in. Now just need step 1 score release

Using a ruler on my score sheet, it looks like the median was about 550-555, with a SD of +/- 40

Upon further inspection using Photoshop, the median for all test takers was ~546, and for all who passed being ~555. SD is +/- 40.

Quick percentile references using the above numbers: 84th Percentile = 626, 97.5th Percentile = 706. 32nd Percentile = 466. 2.5th Percentile = 386. You can probably calculate your individual scores using the above information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Oh COMSAE 104 was SOMEWHAT close for me even though I still think they're garbage

Reactions: 1 users
Cant believe scores came out a day early but....

UWSA1 230 (5 weeks out)
NBME 21 212 (4 weeks out)
NBME 18 230 (2 weeks out)
COMSAE 105 513 (12 days out)
UWSA2 228 (6 days out)
Free 120 78% (3 days out)
COMSAE 103 564 (2 days out)
Uworld First Pass % 61

Real Deal = 571

Very happy with my score!! I honestly thought the COMSAE's were representative of the question types of the exam. I know I am an outlier. Yes COMSAE was easier but the question types (except the videos) were similar. Congratulations to everyone else!!

Was timing an issue for you or something else happened? Thank you

Was timing an issue for you or something else happened? Thank you

Time was definitely not a factor. I had a good amount of time left over; I’m a fast reader (maybe too fast). I honestly can’t point to one specific factor that made me do so poorly. I felt terrible coming out of the exam & I could only point to a small amount of questions that I knew I got right for sure. The question stems were like the COMSAE so I’ll give them that. Just very UNLIKE the the banks I used. Maybe that was the main issue.

Updated my other scores post now that I got COMLEX back, quoting myself here as well.

COMSAE 104 6/2/19= 551

*school-proctored* COMSAE 105 6/4/19= 427

*school-proctored take 2* COMSAE 105 (yes same one, means nothing but the school is satisfied) 6/18/19=554

COMLEX 7/3/19= 478

Taking COMLEX felt like taking 105. Not the content but just all the wtf?

Was hoping to clear the magic 500 line because I’m interested in IM (and staying in Florida preferably). However, I’m sooo relieved to pass and feel content with my score.

• Love
Cant believe scores came out a day early but....

UWSA1 230 (5 weeks out)
NBME 21 212 (4 weeks out)
NBME 18 230 (2 weeks out)
COMSAE 105 513 (12 days out)
UWSA2 228 (6 days out)
Free 120 78% (3 days out)
COMSAE 103 564 (2 days out)
Uworld First Pass % 61

Real Deal = 571

Very happy with my score!! I honestly thought the COMSAE's were representative of the question types of the exam. I know I am an outlier. Yes COMSAE was easier but the question types (except the videos) were similar. Congratulations to everyone else!!

Congrats! Your scores are almost identical to mine across the board with the exception of your NBMEs being a bit higher. You got a few points on me on the real deal for comlex though! Hopefully we both hit our target scores on step as well!

Finally my time to shine. Got my score a day early. For context I'm a bottom 15 percenter or so in my class. Didn't really do UFAPS. Did not really use UWORLD, finished 20% at 60% correct. Used COMBANK extensively. First pass was 73% correct. Used sketchy with salt and pepper deck. Matured almost all of those cards. Extatic with my score with ambitions to do family medicine.

Comsae 105 (5 weeks out): 442
COMLEX: 627

• Wow
  • Love
Pleasantly surprised with my score. Glad I did not retake. I studied solely for step until step 1 was over and then the biggest cram session of my life for 2 days then took Level 1. Worked out well for me and my friends that I’ve heard scores from.

• Love
Finally my time to shine. Got my score a day early. For context I'm a bottom 15 percenter or so in my class. Didn't really do UFAPS. Did not really use UWORLD, finished 20% at 60% correct. Used COMBANK extensively. First pass was 73% correct. Used sketchy with salt and pepper deck. Matured almost all of those cards. Extatic with my score with ambitions to do family medicine.

Comsae 105 (5 weeks out): 442
COMLEX: 627

Awesome score my brother in still!

Updated my other scores post now that I got COMLEX back, quoting myself here as well.

Was hoping to clear the magic 500 line because I’m interested in IM (and staying in Florida preferably). However, I’m sooo relieved to pass and feel content with my score.

I'm almost positive that IM in florida will work out! Congratulations on being done! I'm eyeing FL residencies too and maybe we will cross paths!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Comsae 105: 461
Comlex: 473.
Well dang... little disappointed

Last edited:
COMSAE 102: 541
104: 639
105: 549

COMLEX 1: 717

Step 1: 237

Basically, comsae heavily underpredicted for me. But then again I would have never imagined the score I got on comlex. I was only aiming for 600+ o_O.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Passed! On IM rotation when I got the email (A DAY EARLY) and literally went into cardiac arrest before running into a corner to check. Thank God this exam is out of the way!

Same here. Got a 473. Was really hoping to clear the 500 line to go stay in Florida. Fingers crossed it works out for us.

• Love
480 and not a peep of complaints from me! As far as I'm concerned, an exam that demands an absurd reading speed to do well is a garbage assessment of knowledge. How does one get employed by the NBOME? I'm thinking a good ol' fashioned takeover is in order.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
UW 1st Pass: 70%
NBME 16 -215 (8 weeks out)
COMSAE 105 - 525 (7 weeks out)
COMBANK Assessment 1 - 709-724 (7 weeks out)
NBME 21 - 234 (6 weeks out)
UWSA 1 - 264 (5 weeks out)
NBME 20 - 217 (4 weeks out)
NBME 22 - 238 (3 weeks out)
NBME 23 - 232 (2 weeks out)
NBME 18 - 242 (1.5 weeks out)
UWSA 2 - 256 (1 week out)
Free120: 83% (2 days out)
COMBANK COMLEX Qbank - 79.6% (73% completed)
COMBANK USMLE Qbank - 72.6% (41% completed)
USMLERx - 68% (57% completed)
UW 2nd Pass: 81%
Reddit Predictor: 246 (95% CI: 231 - 261)

Step 1 - 244

COMLEX - 629

@NecrotizingFasciitis I'm glad we were able to finish this out with practically the same score lol. See you next year for Step 2/Level 2.

• Love