Official 2019-2020 Endocrinology fellowship match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear from rochester

Members don't see this ad.

How many interviews are people going to?
I really don't know how many candidates each program interviews... is it usually in the 20-30s??

I really don't know how many candidates each program interviews... is it usually in the 20-30s??
That’s probably accurate...conventional wisdom is to interview 10 for 1spot...typical program is 2-3 fellows/year so 20-30 would be close.
Obviously if a program is bigger, they may interview more...more prestigious places may historically match in their top 10 ranks and may interview fewer people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medstar baltimore is interviewing 30 for 1 spot

Good god...that seems like overkill...but maybe they don’t fill?

I literally said good god verbatim in my head after reading that too, then scrolled and saw your comment.

I also wonder too how many programs most people are interviewing at. Seems like 10+ is the minimum, despite most people statistically matching their top 3.

I literally said good god verbatim in my head after reading that too, then scrolled and saw your comment.

I also wonder too how many programs most people are interviewing at. Seems like 10+ is the minimum, despite most people statistically matching their top 3.

How do you know most people statistically match their top 3????? I would love to match my top 4....

I only have 5 :(

How do you know most people statistically match their top 3????? I would love to match my top 4....

It's buried in one of the NRMP fellowship statistics. People matching endocrine in 2019:

1st choice: 43%

2nd choice: 14.9%

3rd choice: 8.5%

Greater than 3rd: 17.9%

Matched other specialty: 1.7%

So to match your top 3 you have a 66.4% chance based off last year!

I'm not allowed to go to more than 10 by my residency program. Have >10 interview invites, will likely go to 7-8 interviews and decline the rest.

IV
- 7/15 Emory
- 7/16 Texas Tech
- 7/17 U of Wisconsin, U of Washington, IOWA, U of Kentucky
- 7/18 Indiana U, Wake Forest, UNC, U of Vermont
- 7/19 Henry Ford, Washington University-St Louis
- 7/22 U of Arizona (Tucson), U of Colorado
- 7/23 U of Florida Jacksonville, U of Nebraska, CPMC (San Francisco), U of Oklahoma, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 7/24 U of Virginia, Ohio State, Toledo, NYU, Tulane, UT Southwestern
- 7/25 Case Western, U of Oklahoma, Johns Hopkins
- 7/28 UIC
- 7/29 U of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix Program, U of Florida (Gainesville), Brown, Dartmouth, Mayo Jacksonville, UCSF
- 7/30 University of Michigan
- 7/31 Duke
- 8/1 Medical College of Wisconsin, Rush U
- 8/2 Irvine
- 8/5 Rush U (2), MUSC, Thomas Jefferson
- 8/6 Creighton, UTMB
- 8/7 UAB, Scripps, VCU
- 8/8 Baylor Scott White, UC Davis, U New Mexico, St Lukes
- 8/9 Houston Methodist, Northwestern
- 8/10 Mass General
- 8/12 USF, SUNY Upstate, Lahey Clinic
- 8/13 UCSD
- 8/14 Ochsner, Louisiana
- 8/15 Rutgers, U Central Florida
- 8/16 U Texas (Houston)
- 8/17 UC Davis
- 8/19 Medstar Baltimore, LSU Shreveport, SUNY Downstate, Albany Medical Center
- 8/20 Utah, Albany Medical Center, UF Jacksonville, Harbor-HCLA
- 8/23 USC (Los Angeles), Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), University of Cincinnati
- 8/26 Tufts (Boston), U Conn
- 8/28 Louisville,KY
- 8/29 Vanderbilt
- 9/3 U Chicago
- 9/4 Beth israel
- 9/5 UT San Antonio

Rejections
- 7/18 U of Washington
- 7/25 University of Virginia
- 8/2 Yale New Haven
- 8/13 University of Pennsylvania
- 8/14 University of Maryland
- 8/21 Allegheny, Brigham Women's
- 9/3 Stanford
- 9/4 Med Star George Washington
- 9/10 Emory

I'm not allowed to go to more than 10 by my residency program. Have >10 interview invites, will likely go to 7-8 interviews and decline the rest.
Really? Is that because that’s all the vacation you can use? I’ve never heard of a program limiting the number of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Is that because that’s all the vacation you can use? I’ve never heard of a program limiting the number of interviews.

They said they can can tell residents 10 interviews max regardless of # of vacation days left. Also have to save vacation days to be able to go to orientation in June for the fellowship program...

Where can I see this stats please?
It's buried in one of the NRMP fellowship statistics. People matching endocrine in 2019:

1st choice: 43%

2nd choice: 14.9%

3rd choice: 8.5%

Greater than 3rd: 17.9%

Matched other specialty: 1.7%

So to match your top 3 you have a 66.4% chance based off last year!

IV
- 7/15 Emory
- 7/16 Texas Tech
- 7/17 U of Wisconsin, U of Washington, IOWA, U of Kentucky
- 7/18 Indiana U, Wake Forest, UNC, U of Vermont
- 7/19 Henry Ford, Washington University-St Louis
- 7/22 U of Arizona (Tucson), U of Colorado
- 7/23 U of Florida Jacksonville, U of Nebraska, CPMC (San Francisco), U of Oklahoma, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 7/24 U of Virginia, Ohio State, Toledo, NYU, Tulane, UT Southwestern
- 7/25 Case Western, U of Oklahoma, Johns Hopkins
- 7/28 UIC
- 7/29 U of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix Program, U of Florida (Gainesville), Brown, Dartmouth, Mayo Jacksonville, UCSF
- 7/30 University of Michigan
- 7/31 Duke
- 8/1 Medical College of Wisconsin, Rush U
- 8/2 Irvine
- 8/5 Rush U (2), MUSC, Thomas Jefferson
- 8/6 Creighton, UTMB
- 8/7 UAB, Scripps, VCU
- 8/8 Baylor Scott White, UC Davis, U New Mexico, St Lukes
- 8/9 Houston Methodist, Northwestern
- 8/10 Mass General
- 8/12 USF, SUNY Upstate, Lahey Clinic
- 8/13 UCSD
- 8/14 Ochsner, Louisiana
- 8/15 Rutgers, U Central Florida
- 8/16 U Texas (Houston)
- 8/17 UC Davis
- 8/19 Medstar Baltimore, LSU Shreveport, SUNY Downstate, Albany Medical Center
- 8/20 Utah, Albany Medical Center, UF Jacksonville, Harbor-HCLA
- 8/23 USC (Los Angeles), Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), University of Cincinnati
- 8/26 Tufts (Boston), U Conn
- 8/28 Louisville,KY
- 8/29 Vanderbilt
- 9/3 U Chicago
- 9/4 Beth israel
- 9/5 UT San Antonio
-9/11 Howard University

Rejections
- 7/18 U of Washington
- 7/25 University of Virginia
- 8/2 Yale New Haven
- 8/13 University of Pennsylvania
- 8/14 University of Maryland
- 8/21 Allegheny, Brigham Women's
- 9/3 Stanford
- 9/4 Med Star George Washington
- 9/10 Emory

Is it a bad sign if your interview day does not include a tour of the hospital and the clinics?

Is it a bad sign if your interview day does not include a tour of the hospital and the clinics?

I don't think so necessarily... all clinics and hospital look basically the same

No tour at all? Did they say why? They should be showing and selling their program to you too. Just being interviewed +/- a powerpoint/intro session isn't enough for you to judge their program on...

How do you tell which program is good out of interviews you get? Honestly confused how to rank the programs other than going off traditional name value...

How do you tell which program is good out of interviews you get? Honestly confused how to rank the programs other than going off traditional name value...
In the end it really is gut...so you fit in...do they offer the things you want, will you like being there for 2-3 years.

Iserson’s getting into a residency is a good book to use ...he has a scoring system you can use for ranking g programs...interestingly, when I used this for residency, my top scoring program was also the one I liked the most.

Is university at buffalo sending invites now? Or did they already send last month

My understanding from match is that even though you are selected to interview, program can still just not rank you... right?

My understanding from match is that even though you are selected to interview, program can still just not rank you... right?

Correct.

On a side note, is it better when on inpatient consults not to have the weekly continuity clinic? I've heard fellows say that it's mega busy and seems like some programs have it set up where inpatient is just inpatient.

Correct.

On a side note, is it better when on inpatient consults not to have the weekly continuity clinic? I've heard fellows say that it's mega busy and seems like some programs have it set up where inpatient is just inpatient.
I have not seen that...your clinic maybe shortened to help with covering consults and rounding , but would be a good question to ask during interview.

Is location is the single most important thing to consider when putting your rank order list? Like family ties to the area, safe place, affordable ... etc Do you think its more important than how prestigious is the program if you are considering private practice? confusion just started! Need help with your opinions.

If anyone want to talk about ranking ENDO fellowship program DM me I want to know what others think thannks

Did anyone just receive an interview from allegheny in pittsburgh? Isnt this kind of late?

Last edited:
Probably last minute cancellations.

Can somebody elaborate on going to interviews based off last minute cancellations
Are you less likely to be considered to be ranked high from programs ( I guess it makes sense) that pulls you for the interviews based off last minute cancellations??

Can somebody elaborate on going to interviews based off last minute cancellations
Are you less likely to be considered to be ranked high from programs ( I guess it makes sense) that pulls you for the interviews based off last minute cancellations??
It doesn’t make a difference...once you get an interview, you are on level ground...what you do on the interview will now make the difference.

I know it’s hard, but you need to relax...this is endocrine, not cards or GI...it’s not that competitive and there are plenty of I/FMGs in endo...

Anyone did an interview at Allegheny in Pittsburgh? I just want to know about the program, I know its community based but how are the teaching and didactics over there?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone did an interview at Allegheny in Pittsburgh? I just want to know about the program, I know its community based but how are the teaching and didactics over there?

I got it. Dont know about the program much

Is anyone driving from Pennsylvania/New York to Pittsburgh on the 2nd for the interview?

I don't know if I am just overthinking...
I have been sending thank you emails to the faculties that interviewed me but I have not gotten responses from them... maybe around 80-90% of the time?
Does that mean they are not impressed by me or are they just being busy ... ?

I don't know if I am just overthinking...
I have been sending thank you emails to the faculties that interviewed me but I have not gotten responses from them... maybe around 80-90% of the time?
Does that mean they are not impressed by me or are they just being busy ... ?
Thank you notes are simply that...you don’t usually get a thank you note for your thank you note.

Are programs open to negotiable start dates usually? Delaying for 3-4 weeks?

Are programs open to negotiable start dates usually? Delaying for 3-4 weeks?
Rarely unless for a good reason...unlike residency, endo fellowships are small...1 to 2 fellows a year...largest programs have 5 at best.
If something unexpected happened, they may work with you but not many place will want to inconvenience their schedule for something that is a choice...

You can sometimes start on an elective but still will need to be there for your continuity clinics.

How are the Chicago programs? Any programs there to avoid? PMs welcome

How to rank the followings assuming no geographical preference:
Tucson, Phoenix, IU, Iowa, UF Gainsville, UCI

How to rank the followings assuming no geographical preference:
Tucson, Phoenix, IU, Iowa, UF Gainsville, UCI

IU/IOWA > UF >> UC Irvine >>>Phoenix/Tuscon