Official 2018-2019 Hematology/Oncology fellowship application season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone help out with ranking UCONN vs. Henry Ford? I have not yet decided solids vs. liquids.
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I would love some advice on my list. I know I'm interested in Academics, but am open to either heme or onc. No real geographical preference either. What do you guys think?
Thanks!!

1. Tufts
2. University of Maryland
3. VCU
4. MUSC
5. Cincinnati
6. Penn State
7. Tulane
8. UCLA-Olive View

Hey Guys, can you please help me rank the following programs. I don't have big-shot names but trying to figure out the best. I am looking for a overall good program with strong solid oncology. Not looking for basic science research/ bench research, looking for more clinical program rich in clinical trials. No geographical preference. Thank you
1. UCLA-Harbor Clinical track
2. UTSW
3. UAB
4. Baylor(Houston)
5. U Kansas
6. U Iowa

Would really appreciate your advice. @gutonc any thought?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would really appreciate your advice. @gutonc any thought?

Without knowing anything about the last 3 programs, that is also how I would probably rank the programs. Again, you should do your own research on the programs and consider personal preferences.

Do the programs regularly contact their top choice candidates to let them know they are ranking them high? Is that a norm?

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. I am torn between two programs, and am not sure what is best.

I am hoping to stay in academic heme malignancies long term, and am geographically quite limited (I have a spouse who would have great difficulty relocating, and we are expecting a child in the next year). I have been lucky enough to have excellent mentorship at my home program, and have been productive during residency. I have also been lucky enough to have gotten interviews at amazing places, but given my geographic limitations, there are two places that are probably the best options, and I am quite torn between them. I am not going to name the programs.

My goals:
1. Excellent clinical training
2. Mentorship and research opportunities that will set me up to be academic faculty

My home program:
Pros:
- I have the research mentorship and a track record of productivity with my mentors, and would be able to jump right into new projects seamlessly
- Very strong in heme malignancies specifically
- Truly excellent clinical training (albeit with a very difficult call schedule in the first year)
Cons:
- The program is not necessarily expanding; job prospects after fellowship at my home institution might be less than elsewhere

The other program:
Pros:
- Is quite strong in the heme malignancies as well, perhaps equal to my home institution
- Has massive amounts of funding and is expanding their research opportunities
- Is undergoing explosive growth and hires a few fellows every year as faculty
Cons:
- clinical training is a little lighter, although not as much as some of the other academic programs
- would have to start from scratch in terms of finding mentorship and projects

I'm really not sure what to do. Any advice you can give would be great!

Hey guys, looking for some feedback regarding my ROL. IMG from mid tier university program, interested in solids and future career in academics/hybrid positions (clinical/translational investigator or clinical educator).

1. Montefiore
2. Moffitt
3. U Maryland
4. Boston University
5. University of Cincinnati
6. Harbor UCLA clinical track
7. Ochsner
8. Stony Brook
9. Uconn
10. University of New Mexico
11. Drexel

I personally prefer to be in NYC, otherwise I don't mind going where I can get the best training. I'm especially unsure about 4 through 6 and 7 and 8. Thank you for your help!
Any input?

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. I am torn between two programs, and am not sure what is best.

I am hoping to stay in academic heme malignancies long term, and am geographically quite limited (I have a spouse who would have great difficulty relocating, and we are expecting a child in the next year). I have been lucky enough to have excellent mentorship at my home program, and have been productive during residency. I have also been lucky enough to have gotten interviews at amazing places, but given my geographic limitations, there are two places that are probably the best options, and I am quite torn between them. I am not going to name the programs.

My goals:
2. Mentorship and research opportunities that will set me up to be academic faculty

My home program:
Pros:
- I have the research mentorship and a track record of productivity with my mentors, and would be able to jump right into new projects seamlessly
- Truly excellent clinical training (albeit with a very difficult call schedule in the first year)
Cons:
- The program is not necessarily expanding; job prospects after fellowship at my home institution might be less than elsewhere

The other program:
Pros:
- Is quite strong in the heme malignancies as well, perhaps equal to my home institution
Cons:
- clinical training is a little lighter, although not as much as some of the other academic programs

So it's the home program which according to you is 1. Stronger Clinically and Very strong in the field you are interested in and 2. You are familiar with and have resources set up to be productive. vs one which 1. Has more funding (although a lack of this hasn't impacted your research so far) and 2. you think you'll be more likely to get a good job at after fellowship.

Is there a reason why 'the other program' wouldn't hire a good fellow from 'the home program'? It seems like a strong case for the home program unless there is something unsaid like 'the other program' has a vastly superior name recognition, reputation, or influence that is weighing on your decision.

P.S. New kids are stressful and knowing how to navigate a home institution might make things easier when your hours of sleep plummet.

Is there a reason why 'the other program' wouldn't hire a good fellow from 'the home program'? It seems like a strong case for the home program unless there is something unsaid like 'the other program' has a vastly superior name recognition, reputation, or influence that is weighing on your decision.

I think the other program tends to hire their own for new faculty, but most of the people they hire from outside the institution are more senior recruits. In terms of name recognition/reputation, I think they're both well-known academic places so are probably equal.

Hi all,

My goals:

My home program:
Pros:
Cons:

The other program:
Pros:
Cons:

Interviewed this past Monday with someone in a similar situation (you might be him honestly). “Other program” may be better in the sense they have better solid tumor training and are equal with regards to malignant heme and if its the program I’m thinking of you should have no issue being productive with research in a new place.

Of course take anything I say with several grains of salt as I’m a fellow applicant on the trail, but don’t think you can go wrong either way honestly. Plenty of good options/opportunity in the city it’s what you make of fellowship that matters most

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, hoping for some advice! Im trying to rank Johns Hopkins, but there are two options, 1) Hem and 2) Onc. Do I rank both of them if I am hoping to be doing the combined program? And if I rank both of them, doesn't that occupy two spots on my rank list (subsequently lowering the rank of the programs below it?)
Thanks!!!

Did anyone interview at Florida programs? I was wondering what people thought of UF vs. USF vs. Mayo Florida.

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice! Im trying to rank Johns Hopkins, but there are two options, 1) Hem and 2) Onc. Do I rank both of them if I am hoping to be doing the combined program? And if I rank both of them, doesn't that occupy two spots on my rank list (subsequently lowering the rank of the programs below it?)
Thanks!!!

My impression was you can rank both to increase your chances of matching there. They occupy two spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!!!
Ask the PC.

Im interested on Heme malignancies, BMT and cell therapy. Looking for academic career on clinical research.

BIDMC vs Mayo/MN vs Wash U vs U Chicago vs NYU

Hi everyone, I would also appreciate thoughts on my current ROL. AMG from mid-tier university program with a heart set on solids and an academic or hybrid position. I have a pretty heavy NY/PA/NJ bias for family reasons, but I am also not opposed to the idea of moving to anywhere that will give me the best training.

1. Pitt
2. Mount Sinai
3. Rutgers-RWJ
4. USC
5. Montefiore/Albert Einstein
6. Tufts
7. Roswell Park
8. Maryland

Thanks!

Sure...whatever. Pick one man. As long as it's not NYU.

So, between Mayo/MN, Wash U, BIDMC and U Chicago they are same level, right?

And regarding NYU, any particular reason to rank it lower?

What do you think about Yale as well?

So, between Mayo/MN, Wash U, BIDMC and U Chicago they are same level, right?
More or less, yes. Rank them how you liked them. You'll be fine.

And regarding NYU, any particular reason to rank it lower?
If they still do that stupid setup where your entire first year is benign heme, the 2nd year is all malignant and the 3rd year is being some attending's b****, you shouldn't rank it at all. If they've fixed their curriculum to be in line with essentially every other program out there, then disregard this advice. It's been 10+ years since I applied, but NYU Hem/Onc is the only interview I ever walked out of mid-day.

What do you think about Yale as well?
It's fine. What do YOU think about it? That's all that really matters.

Hello- Wanted to find out if there is any difference to be trained in NCI designated cancer centers vs non NCI designated?....in terms of getting jobs after fellowship at big nationally recognized cancer institutes(eg - Moffitt or MD Anderson or Sloan Kettring).If trained in non NCI designated centers - does it decrease chance of getting jobs at those institutions?

Hello- Wanted to find out if there is any difference to be trained in NCI designated cancer centers vs non NCI designated?....in terms of getting jobs after fellowship at big nationally recognized cancer institutes(eg - Moffitt or MD Anderson or Sloan Kettring).If trained in non NCI designated centers - does it decrease chance of getting jobs at those institutions?

If you look at how NCI designates cancer centers and what they look for (google P30 grants), you will see that cancer center designation primarily looks like how the center integrates laboratory, clinical, and population research and the strength of the leadership and the organization of the cancer center -- much of which is helpful to know for the incoming fellow but not really relevant nor important.

I think at the end of the day the list of comprehensive cancer centers is a nice guide to use for applying, but I personally think the potential mentor(s) and opportunities that you've identified at each location matters so much more than just the designation. Yes, places that are designated cancer centers tend to have more resources and mentors at your disposal, but I think it's important to envision how you would fit into the institution and which niche you're trying to fill. At the end of the day, the connection you make with the mentor and the projects you're able to accomplish (as well as your mentor's connections!) will get you into a brand-name job more than just the name of the institution. It doesn't matter if you go to Brand Name Program X and then find yourself working under Famous Professor Y's lab 3 levels removed from him and he doesn't even know who you are. This is at least what I've been able to glean anyway post-interview and having processed them a little bit.

Absolutely no.
My husband is an academic oncologist in MDA.
All depends on what you achieved as a fellow and what subspecialiry you are applying for. Also how low a pay you are ready to accept.

I'm a MD/PhD highly interested in research, especially translational and early phase clinical trials. Research interest in mechanisms of metastasis and drug resistance. Most interested in breast cancer but am open to other solid tumors if the project fits. Not a big fan of liquids. Would prefer a balanced program than research to eclipse my clinical training. Strong geographical preference for the south. Prefer medium cities.

1. Vanderbilt. Felt well balanced and organized. Front loaded call schedule. Best fit for my research interests. Solid name in research. Historical strength in breast, but just lost Carlos Artega to UTSW. PD seems really approachable. Fellows were chill. Nashville was nice but a little larger than I like. Decent cost of living.

2. UAB. Solid academic program. Majority of fellows go private practice but PD/APD seem interested in strengthening research. Good fit for my research interests. Unfortunately, just lost their biggest names in breast cancer, Ferrero. Really liked the fellows. Loved Birmingham. Decent cost of living.

3. WashU. Balanced and well-organized program. Strong on fellow education. Lighter call schedule. Decent fit for my research interests. Clinically strong across the board. PD/APDs seemed super nice. Chill fellows. Midwestern nice feels similar to culture in the south. Little concerned about St. Louis crime. Far from home.

4. NCI/NIH. Research-oriented academic program. Amazing research and internal funding opportunities. Research focus makes clinical training weaker. Decent fit for my research interests but, clinically seem weaker in breast cancer. Cush call schedule. Chill fellows. Energetic PD/APDs. Not too into being a rotator at Hopkins and GWU to get bread and butter onc. Too close to the cluster that is DC. High cost of living.

5. UCSF. Research-oriented academic program. Amazing reputation. Good fit for my research interests. Rotate between multiple sites. PD was cool. Fellows were chill. Fun city but far away from family and with an obscene cost of living.

6. Moffitt. Balanced academic program. Decent reputation. Meh fit for my research interests. Stronger in malignant hem. Research strength in immunotherapy and CART. Infrequent call but sounds like it can be kind of brutal when it happens. PD and fellows were fine. Tampa seems nice. Relatively far from family.

7. VCU. Clinically-oriented academic program. Decent fit for my research interests but most are young faculty. Clinically meh in breast cancer. Loved the PD, definitely thought he was a strength of the program. Way invested in his fellows. Richmond seems nice. Low cost of living. Relatively close to family.

8. Hopkins. Research-oriented academic program. Decent fit for my research interests. Just lost one of their bigger names in breast cancer, Parks. Got a weird vibe during my interview day though I can't put my finger on why I felt uncomfortable. Hated Baltimore. Would rather go to a "lesser brand name" than live in Baltimore. High cost of living. Far from family.

9. Wake Forest. Clinically-oriented academic program. PD's disinterest in research was off-putting. Most fellows go private practice. Little time devoted to research. Not a good fit for my research interests. Clinically meh in breast cancer. Continuity clinic doesn't have an infusion center so fellows don't get as much experience writing chemo orders... which is concerning. Winston-Salem is boring. Low cost of living. Relatively close to family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on U of New Mexico Vs. Nebraska Vs. Oklahoma ?

Interested in Solids, probably lung cancer.

Thanks a lot.

While we certify our lists and wait for the match...here's some interesting prelim stats about this year's heme-onc match (source: ERAS Statistics - ERAS - Services - AAMC)

-Total applicants*: 846 (USG** 462 IMG 384), this is a decrease of 5.0% from the banner year which was the 2018 (last) cycle (890 applicants; a 9.6% increase in apps compared to the 2017 cycle). USG apps stayed pretty much the same this year compared to the last -- the decrease this year is primarily from IMG apps.

-USGs on average apply to 31 programs, IMGs 70.

-Each program received slightly fewer USG apps compared to last year, but still a marked increase from 2017. Programs received the fewest IMG apps per program ever?! (avg 191 IMG apps per program, lowest in the last 7 years -- not sure what to make of this). Combining the two gives 294 apps per program this year, compared to 321 last year. USGs comprise of 103/294 of the apps (35%).

Obviously this says nothing about the strength of the applicant pool itself (which I suspect has to increase yearly), but the numbers are fun to look at.

* Just looking at combined heme/onc and excluding hematology only and oncology only for convenience
** Note AAMC apparently considers Canadian grads the same as American grads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Need some thoughts on the list. Fairly undifferentiated, 60/40 malignant heme. No geographic limitations. Thanks!

1. Moffitt
2. Vanderbilt
3. Yale
4. Hopkins (have to choose heme or med onc single board in order to rank)
5. UColorado
6. Columbia (bad interview experience)

Need some thoughts on the list. Fairly undifferentiated, 60/40 malignant heme. No geographic limitations. Thanks!

1. Moffitt
2. Vanderbilt
3. Yale
5. UColorado

Looks good. All good places.
I would stay away from Hopkins if still unsure of a specific academic research interest.

Any thoughts on U of New Mexico Vs. Nebraska Vs. Oklahoma ?

Interested in Solids, probably lung cancer.

Thanks a lot.

I would choose based on location. No major differences between those to justify going to a location you'd hate.

Need some suggestions in ranking
1. Univ of Chicago
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Medical College of Wisconsin
4. Yale

Interested in Heme. No specific geo preference.

1. Moffitt
2. Vanderbilt
3. Yale
5. UColorado
Vanderbilts heme is excellent. High patient volume, great faculty, tons of research. Strong in leukemia, myeloma, and transplant. I am often annoyed by the sheer number of benign heme consults I get but the attendings are awesome. Transplant in particular is robust. Clinically a fair bit of CAR T but not as much research yet as Moffitt. Our VA is one of three transplant centers nationally.

Looks good. All good places.
I would stay away from Hopkins if still unsure of a specific academic research interest.
I'm currently trying to decide between ranking MSK and Hopkins first. I'm interested in a lab-based academic career. I know MSK has a great deal more labs, but for personal/family reasons, the mid-Atlantic is strongly preferred by my spouse. Can I ask why you'd recommend avoiding Hopkins? Thanks!

I'm currently trying to decide between ranking MSK and Hopkins first. I'm interested in a lab-based academic career. I know MSK has a great deal more labs, but for personal/family reasons, the mid-Atlantic is strongly preferred by my spouse. Can I ask why you'd recommend avoiding Hopkins? Thanks!

Private practice options could potentially be limited if you’re not double boarded especially in the heme part from what I’ve read before but I could be wrong

Dear forum veterans I needed your input. I am looking for a good clinical program, would want to go in to private practice vs hybrid academic/PP model. Please let me know if you have any input on these programs.

1) U Tennessee
2) U Missouri Columbia
3) West Virgina University
4) Medical college of Georgia

TIA!

Hi everyone!

Just curious what are people's thoughts on UTSW's program? I get the sense that they are trying to get away from the previous history of being a clinically heavy program and more towards research. Curious what other people thought of the program?

Any updated thoughts on tOSU? Seemed like they have good research opportunities (though insane amount of inpatient time during the clinical portion). I heard they had some major faculty restructuring about a year or two ago but I couldn’t get a sense of how well they’ve actually stabilized from that

Any updated thoughts on tOSU? Seemed like they have good research opportunities (though insane amount of inpatient time during the clinical portion). I heard they had some major faculty restructuring about a year or two ago but I couldn’t get a sense of how well they’ve actually stabilized from that
Yes, I am having the same feeling as you. I liked that everything is at one site (just the campus) as compared to other places where u go to 3 places etc... I emailed one of the fellows he said he has been very happy, has good support from the PD, research opportunies, he told me the new director is very interested in helping fellows. He also told me the restructuring of the cancer center started about 2 years ago they got new young and senior faculty as well. He said most of the areas have a director expect yet for gi oncology, he thinks is the only weak area ( its sad because i like GI oncology) but there is faculty as well. So he gave me good feedback and feeling about it.

the only thing he mentioned wa that the fellows clinics was not yet well structured because the cases that were assigned to you were not that complex? therefore he said it was better to rotate in the subspeciality clinics

***Any one else have thoughts as well?***

Sent from my SM Tapatalk

Last edited:
Unique situation. I have completed an ophthalmology residency, and am thinking about going back for Hematology Oncology. The problem is that I failed step 2 ck. I know you will think I am a troll, but I am not. Step 2 ck was not submitted as part of my ERAS at the time and I found out I matched before I took the exam. I still don't know what happened but apparently I failed. I have over 30 publications in my field, and have been a phenomenal resident. All my other scores are above average (step1 230, step 2 second attempt 240, step 3 225). Can I match into Hematology Oncology?

Yea, I think so if you are able to show your dedication to Onc, have a good story, good letters, and apply broadly.

I'm sure this won't have a straight forward answer but has anyone received emails from the PDs after their interview days? I have received 2, without making initial contact. Briefly paraphrasing: thanking me for taking the time to interview (as well as adding personal, interview conversations that took place) and hoping to work with me in the future.
Is this just a standard protocol from PDs to get them to rank the program or do they genuinely reach out to candidates that they plan on ranking to let them know they are interested?

I'm sure this won't have a straight forward answer but has anyone received emails from the PDs after their interview days? I have received 2, without making initial contact. Briefly paraphrasing: thanking me for taking the time to interview (as well as adding personal, interview conversations that took place) and hoping to work with me in the future.
Is this just a standard protocol from PDs to get them to rank the program or do they genuinely reach out to candidates that they plan on ranking to let them know they are interested?

It sounds like the program director is interested in you as a candidate. I would take this as a very positive sign but you should still rank the programs how you liked them.

Yes.

I'm taking it as a good sign because I truly do not think the PD has time to write these emails to all 50-100+ candidates that interviewed. I feel happy but yeah, I'm not attaching too much significance to them because you never know until the match actually occurs. It's good to know that at least I didn't mess up every interview though ;)

Reactions: 1 users
And do internal medicine residency.
This is probably going to be the biggest barrier.

Not getting into an IM residency, but getting out of it without flipping over the table during the 3rd hour of post call chart rounds and screaming “f*** this, ima go be a LASIK jockey b*****s” before throwing your pager through the cheap, VA hospital drywall and storming off.

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably going to be the biggest barrier.

Not getting into an IM residency, but getting out of it without flipping over the table during the 3rd hour of post call chart rounds and screaming “f*** this, ima go be a LASIK jockey b*****s” before throwing your pager through the cheap, VA hospital drywall and storming off.

Thank goodness done with residency and the IM boards. I'm getting PTSD thinking about post-call rounds...

I know fellowship first year is tough, but it seems like the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel being able to concentrate on just two subfields of medicine rather than ten....

Could any of you give any input regarding Dana Farber/st. elizabeth program?

I have gotten responses to a thank you e-mail but otherwise haven't heard from PDs. I think a PD reaching out to you is certainly a positive, but I'm choosing to believe (maybe naively) that not hearing anything isn't necessarily a negative. Just another mind game until match day :)

Guys quick question after you put the programs in the Rank list and you certify anything else is required from us ? This should be done before 14 th of November, correct?