This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMResident98

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m here looking for a swap. I have matched into a Heme/Onc position at a reputable institute in Pennsylvania that I would have been happy to go to when I submitted the ROL. Since the submission my SO got an excellent career opportunity in Texas and I am suffering from some health issues currently that I cannot live on my own.
I am desperately looking for a swap in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana or Arkansas and will be more than happy to share details about my match.
Appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

hey sounds stressful. I didn't match in the above stated areas, and even so I am further away from texas and oklahoma than Pennsylvania.

I am just curious, did you and your SO not correlate with each other?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sorry man/woman. that is really stressful. Keep looking, people are always willing to go to pennsylvania IMO.

What is your back up plan?

its tough. Heme/Onc is incredibly prestigious (congrats!) nevermind at a "reputable" institution. 3 years of long distance is tough but push comes to shove, if your significant other can't delay the opportunity, it may be the only choice depending on how badly you are unable to take care of yoursled.

S tier choice/occurrence: your significant other can delay the start of their job for 3 years without sacrificing their future/finances
B tier choice/Occurrence: same as above but delaying for less than 3 years. Like be able to stay in the same location for some of fellowshio
D tier choice: long distance the entire time
F tier choice (in my opinion) is forfeit your fellowship spot.

Reactions: 1 users
We did. This is a very unexpected and sudden situation.
Does this job pay well enough to hire someone full time to help take care of you? Any family options?

How can you want to swap in to 4 different states? That can't possibly be commuting difference so how does it matter of you are on LA vs PA if her job is in TX?

Hello everyone. I’m here looking for a swap. I have matched into a Heme/Onc position at a reputable institute in Pennsylvania that I would have been happy to go to when I submitted the ROL. Since the submission my SO got an excellent career opportunity in Texas and I am suffering from some health issues currently that I cannot live on my own.
I am desperately looking for a swap in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana or Arkansas and will be more than happy to share details about my match.
Appreciate your help.
If you can't live on your own, how do you intend to be a fellow? I'm being a little antagonistic while also being completely honest. My first year of fellowship was harder than my IM intern year (and I did 4 months of old school Q3 ICU call as an intern...and I had a newborn as an intern). If you can't "live in the wild" you're not going to be able to manage as a first year fellow, no matter what your partner can do to support you.

If this is all true, your best option is to talk to your new PD immediately about your situation and request a Match waiver with their support. Move with your partner. Get your health stuff sorted. Do something medical (PT PCP or hospitalist work...hospitalists are dropping like flies so it should be easy to find a spot) and re-apply next year.

Reactions: 4 users
Does this job pay well enough to hire someone full time to help take care of you? Any family options?

How can you want to swap in to 4 different states? That can't possibly be commuting difference so how does it matter of you are on LA vs PA if her job is in TX?
Check out Texarkana, TX on your Google machine. It's <3h drive (obviously not commutable) from DFW, Little Rock, AR and Shreveport, LA. It's 5h or so from pretty much anywhere else though. And there's definitely no job in Texarkana that's worth giving up a Hem/Onc fellowship spot for.

Reactions: 1 user
Check out Texarkana, TX on your Google machine. It's <3h drive (obviously not commutable) from DFW, Little Rock, AR and Shreveport, LA. It's 5h or so from pretty much anywhere else though. And there's definitely no job in Texarkana that's worth giving up a Hem/Onc fellowship spot for.
Yup.

Several points:

- I agree with wondering how OP is going to be a fellow if he/she cannot live on their own. My rheum fellowship was not “easy” by any stretch of the imagination, and in some ways was even more demanding than much of residency.

- Even if OP and SO are living in the same place, SO is not going to be able to help him much health wise if he/she is working hard at their “great opportunity”.

- Not sure how having a fellowship spot in LA, AR, OK etc helps much as the commuting distance would be massive. Also, we have no idea where in TX this potential opportunity is, and TX is a HUGE state (it takes 12-13 hours to drive from El Paso to the LA border). OP could even get another spot somewhere else *in* TX and it wouldn’t matter - he could still be too far away.

- Hate to break it to OP, but this is where SO likely needs to find another job elsewhere for the time being. You are headed to Philadelphia, not Alaska or something…SO can’t find another job there? Unless SO has a megajob where he/she is going to be making millions or something, it’s unlikely that they’re going to have better economic upside than you completing a heme/onc fellowship.

Last edited:
If you forfeit the spot, I'm in philadelphia and looking for a heme/onc spot