Official 2018-2019 Hematology/Oncology fellowship application season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diku8888

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Lets see how we are doing. Post any important information if you wish to share, what you have read or heard that may help you and others in getting matched in heme/onc fellowship programs.
Me- Previous pathology graduate from outside country, now IM graduate applying for heme-onc fellowships all over usa.
Strengths- Decent Research, Posters, Decent LOR writers.
Weaknesses- Need J1 visa

Members don't see this ad.

I'll join the party

USIMG / Good boards scores / academic community program

Not sure how many programs I'll apply to at this point, but IMG / community program probably means I'll be applying very broadly

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One month from being done with PGY-3!!

AMG - I have really bad board scores (almost failed step 1) so it would be interesting to see where this journey takes me. Decided to defer by one year to buff up on research and also make money / interview during a year that is less hectic. Tons of research (including couple first author papers) so hopefully the gods of the Oncology Fellowship Programs take pity on me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Great job Kash_711. I also have few publications in decent journals and few active projects and some strong LORs.

1)Any Idea of which are competitive hemonc programs that take IMGs?
2)No information yet on ERAS website as to when the application cycle will open. Any information on that?

One month from being done with PGY-3!!

AMG - I have really bad board scores (almost failed step 1) so it would be interesting to see where this journey takes me. Decided to defer by one year to buff up on research and also make money / interview during a year that is less hectic. Tons of research (including couple first author papers) so hopefully the gods of the Oncology Fellowship Programs take pity on me...
i am pretty sure you will match in a good program man.
dont worry.

USIMG with unimpressive scores, minimal research, from a University affiliated community program. Due to these factors, I will be applying BROADLY. Here's to going broke!

What’s up, folks? I’m an AMG, rising pgy3 at a university program. I’m a MD/PhD looking for a program with a good balance of clinical and research. I’m only applying in the south. Good luck, y’all!

PS- I don’t think eras opens until June 7-8ish. Transmitted to programs mid-July.

An Important information as to quality of training that I have received is to search and apply for NCI designated cancer centers. Obviously benign hematology will be a virtue less learnt at these places but the buck eventually lies in malignant hematology and oncology. Any one has any experience/ information with great to good fellowship program list in HemOnc do share.

An Important information as to quality of training that I have received is to search and apply for NCI designated cancer centers. Obviously benign hematology will be a virtue less learnt at these places but the buck eventually lies in malignant hematology and oncology. Any one has any experience/ information with great to good fellowship program list in HemOnc do share.
Not sure who you heard that from, but, while it's nice, it's not an absolute requirement, or even necessary for most people.

Good Luck everyone this year!!
Here, AMG with good step scores and thin research portfolio, who has failed to match miserably last cycle and hoping to interview & match anywhere.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

I'm using the US News Best Hospitals for Cancer to gauge the level of competitiveness for each program. Flawed method? What say you gutonc?

Hello everyone, I am an IMG from a community program applying after 2 years of working as a faculty in a residency program. I do not require a visa and will be applying broadly. Good luck to every one and may we all get what we want. Thank you in advance to our seniors who have been guiding applicants selflessly, I have seen lots of good information on the previous years threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm an IMG, currently PGY-2 at the end of the session and also a Chief Resident applying for match this year.
Wondering if anyone has an idea about programs sponsoring H1 visa?

Hi,

I'm an IMG, currently PGY-2 at the end of the session and also a Chief Resident applying for match this year.
Wondering if anyone has an idea about programs sponsoring H1 visa?

Call the programs that you're interested in and ask them specifically about sponsoring your visa. Most of what they post on their websites is outdated or inaccurate. In general, the west coast is not visa friendly so I wouldn't waste money applying there.

2 cents: there is no easy list you can look up that would rank fellowship programs for you, but it's really not rocket science. Large well known academic centers will have well established fellowship programs. No list will tell you the culture of the program or if the program leadership is responsive/flexible or if the fellows are protected versus abused ...etc. You have to go interview and meet people and ask questions and talk to people you might know inside the program or former fellows or staff. you might be miserable going to institution #2 on the US news rank list versus #35. Don't get carried away by an arbitrary list. It's time to act as a grown up as opposed to a medical student.

Reactions: 1 users
Call the programs that you're interested in and ask them specifically about sponsoring your visa. Most of what they post on their websites is outdated or inaccurate. In general, the west coast is not visa friendly so I wouldn't waste money applying there.
Also, just because an institution's GME office will sponsor an H1b, doesn't mean that a specific program can't decide not to interview people who do require visas. My program did not do this as it was an easy way to cut down the pile of apps it got.

I'm not saying this is fair, or right, or whatever. Just saying that it happens, and that asking directly is really the only way to be sure.

I have a question regarding LORs:

For my "clinical letter" - I have one from a general medicine attending (~4 weeks on inpatient floors) and one from an oncology attending (~4 weeks on a busy liquid service). Due to the limit of 4 letters, I can't submit them both for the application. Should I go with the onc letter over the gen med one? Both are going to be really great so I don't think the quality will play that much of a role. Also, if it matters, the gen med attending has a nominally higher faculty rank over the onc attending (associate vs. assistant).

I have a question regarding LORs:

For my "clinical letter" - I have one from a general medicine attending (~4 weeks on inpatient floors) and one from an oncology attending (~4 weeks on a busy liquid service). Due to the limit of 4 letters, I can't submit them both for the application. Should I go with the onc letter over the gen med one? Both are going to be really great so I don't think the quality will play that much of a role. Also, if it matters, the gen med attending has a nominally higher faculty rank over the onc attending (associate vs. assistant).
What are the other 2 LORs? Your PD and ????

What are the other 2 LORs? Your PD and ????

1. PD, 2. Research PI (oncology), 3. Significant other research PI (oncology, from different institution with bigger name), 4. this "clinical letter".

1. PD, 2. Research PI (oncology), 3. Significant other research PI (oncology, from different institution with bigger name), 4. this "clinical letter".
You’re dating a research PI?

Do onc over gen med. having all onc people is more relevant to an onc fellowship application, even if a gen med person is a full prof

Anyone know what's up w/ UCSD this application season? They don't come up on myERAS and the website doesn't have any additional information for applying.

Anyone know what's up w/ UCSD this application season? They don't come up on myERAS and the website doesn't have any additional information for applying.
I don't remember if UCSD was like this, but a fair few programs are listed as medical oncology and not hematology oncology. Also, UCSD was quite weird last year in that I applied and I didn't hear a thing. Fellowship starts in a week yet I still haven't lost hope.

When i applied last year,Stanford had similar issue and surmised the postions were already taken by fast track or home residents. I like their plan compared to some programs that participate via ERAS while knowing all postions are taken or one postion remained,which would more likely to go for internal applicants.

Internal applicant from UCSD here. They're definitely taking part in the cycle (one of my top choices!), I know their program coordinator just retired and so, there's a new coordinator and I'm guessing that's what's causing the delay in ERAS. I'll reach out to them tomorrow and let you know!

I'm able to apply to UCSD hemonc on ERAS now- guess they must have fixed it! Now will be hoping for an interview!!! Looking forward to a good application season!

Last edited:

Confirmed it was an ERAS error that’s been sorted out. I’m able to add it on ERAS.

EDIT: sorry missed that someone else posted about this above!

Longtime lurker- first post!

Is the goal to submit on the first day (July 5)? I'm hoping all my LORs will be submitted in time, but is it a good idea to submit even if parts of the application are still missing- will programs even look at incomplete apps?

Where do you write case reports and review articles pending submission on ERAS? Don’t see an actual tab. Can someone help?

Is the goal to submit on the first day (July 5)? I'm hoping all my LORs will be submitted in time, but is it a good idea to submit even if parts of the application are still missing- will programs even look at incomplete apps?

Pretty sure they won't look at your app if it's not marked complete. That being said, I think you can still submit your part before the LORs are all uploaded. I don't think you necessarily need to submit on day #1 but would shoot to have it in within the first week or two

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it matters whether you actually submit on July 5 or July 14, as:

Applicants can begin applying to July cycle fellowship programs on July 5 at 9 a.m. ET. However, July cycle fellowship programs will not be able to view your applications until July 15 at 9 a.m. ET.

https://students-residents.aamc.org...ellowship/faq/faq-eras-fellowship-applicants/

I was wondering anyone knows that which programs offer a Ph.D. oppurtunity at the same time?

Two questions-
1) Any California Hemonc program that takes J1 applicants?
2) Any one has a reliable ranking of programs?

Two questions-
1) Any California Hemonc program that takes J1 applicants?
2) Any one has a reliable ranking of programs?

for question 1: if their website write don't accept J1, then they don't accept. If they write accept, they may or may not.
You could wait others to answer you if they know the programs well.

Hello! time to over-think. I got some ERAS questions -
1. ASCO, AACR posters: these go under "poster presentation" or "peer reviewed journal article/abstracts": former right? then why does the latter option says "abstracts"
2. Med school "experiences": summer research (with no pub), volunteering, clubs: should I get rid of??
3. Minor research experience - such as lab rotation before choosing a thesis lab in PhD: should I get rid of??
4. Paper in press (accepted but not published): this goes under "peer reviewed journal article/abstract (other than published)"?
5. Minor residency experience - is there a room for noon conference presentation etc on ERAS? Doesn't seem like it.

1. ASCO, AACR posters: these go under "poster presentation" or "peer reviewed journal article/abstracts": former right? then why does the latter option says "abstracts"
2. Med school "experiences": summer research (with no pub), volunteering, clubs: should I get rid of??
3. Minor research experience - such as lab rotation before choosing a thesis lab in PhD: should I get rid of??
4. Paper in press (accepted but not published): this goes under "peer reviewed journal article/abstract (other than published)"?
5. Minor residency experience - is there a room for noon conference presentation etc on ERAS? Doesn't seem like it.
1. Posters are applicable to poster presentation.
2. Doesn't matter.
3. You have a PhD? Then minor research experience doesn't matter.
4. Count it as a full publication.
5. Doesn't matter.

Some comments: 1) for ASCO you can have abstracts accepted for "publication only" (no poster). In this case those abstracts should go under "peer reviewed journal article/abstracts" as there is actually a J Clin Oncol citation that you can put for the abstract. If your abstract was accepted as a poster and you presented it, it would be a poster. Don't know if AACR has the same thing accepted for "publication only."

4) This should go under "(other than published)" because if you put it as "peer reviewed journal article/abstracts," you don't have any page numbers...etc. to put there. In fact, "(other than published)" has an in-press selection, you should put it there.

In general I personally think people get really bored if the CV starts looking like there's a lot of "padding" so I never included small presentations like noon conferences, leading intake/teaching rounds, or leading journal clubs. I think the only intra-residency activity that I put was speaking at medicine grand rounds.

Really dumb question:
On ERAS under "licensure", do we add our residency training permits? I don't have a full state medical license but I've got the training one.

Really dumb question:
On ERAS under "licensure", do we add our residency training permits? I don't have a full state medical license but I've got the training one.

I was confused with this too. I added my training license and then picked the limited option since it’s not a full license.

What do you guys think about submitting applications before all LORs get uploaded? I'm finding that oncologist are really busy and I may not have them all in by 7/15/18.

What do you guys think about submitting applications before all LORs get uploaded? I'm finding that oncologist are really busy and I may not have them all in by 7/15/18.[/QUOTE

Submit ASAP with the letters you have.

What do you guys think about submitting applications before all LORs get uploaded? I'm finding that oncologist are really busy and I may not have them all in by 7/15/18.

I'm still missing one letter, which I'm pretty sure will make it by July 15, but regardless the app will be in whether or not that letter comes through by then.

Is there a section where I can put down myself as a PGY4 chief resident. I am just wondering how the program differentiates from a third-year chief resident