Official 2018/2019 "Help Me Rank" Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally done with interviews! :) But still struggling with my list... Interested in Cards or Pulm/CC fellowship.

1) Rush
2) University of Illinois
3) Loyola
4) University of Minnesota
5) Ohio State
6) University of Iowa
7) Indiana
8) Montefiore Moses & Weiler
9) Thomas Jefferson
10) George Washington
11) - 14) Others

I have an obvious Midwest / Chicago bias. My main 2 questions:
1) How to rank Chicago programs? They all seemed similar enough on the interview day...
2) Will ranking "better" Midwest programs (like U of M, OSU, Iowa, Indy) below Chicago programs matter that much in the long run for fellowship? It seems like these programs offer stronger training than my Chicago programs, but I think I'll be a happier + better resident if I'm in Chicago near my fam & friends. Are these Chicago vs. other Midwest programs similar enough that it won't make much of a difference?

Thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your list is fine. Yes, many other programs lower in your list are stronger than the Chicago ones but your happiness comes first and if you're not happy, then you won't be as productive or as good of a resident which will adversely affect your fellowship chances.

You should also ask yourself are you "happier" because you're near your support network and don't want to feel uncomfortable? Or is there another compelling reason to stay in Chicago, i.e. significant other with plans for a child. In residency, you'll find that your co-residents will often make or break your experience and if you thought you'd be a great fit elsewhere, you should take that into consideration. While residency is 3 years long, it is often a good time to try something new.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so down to UCSF and Stanford for #1. Interested in academic heme/onc as a career. Below is my pro/con breakdown. I am having a really hard time deciding and would love any help

UCSF
Pros - more diverse clinical training, more prestigious, maybe become a better clinician
Cons - less assistance from program leadership ensuring success with research, longer hours (I dont mind working hard, but wouldn't mind working less and doing more research if the educational outcome was the same), more challenging commuting around city

Stanford
Pros - amazing research with carefully curated faculty on campus, seems like residents publish more, slightly better heme/onc match last few years, better hours/quality of life, higher pay lol
Cons - concerned about clinical rigor and whether I would graduate able to "handle anything"

Ok so down to UCSF and Stanford for #1. Interested in academic heme/onc as a career. Below is my pro/con breakdown. I am having a really hard time deciding and would love any help

UCSF
Pros - more diverse clinical training, more prestigious, maybe become a better clinician
Cons - less assistance from program leadership ensuring success with research, longer hours (I dont mind working hard, but wouldn't mind working less and doing more research if the educational outcome was the same), more challenging commuting around city

Stanford
Pros - amazing research with carefully curated faculty on campus, seems like residents publish more, slightly better heme/onc match last few years, better hours/quality of life, higher pay lol
Cons - concerned about clinical rigor and whether I would graduate able to "handle anything"

First off, congratulations, as if this is your decision you have obviously done very well to this point. Second, it goes without saying, but you're talking about two fantastic programs where you will be well-trained and be well set up for your career, so whatever you decide you're in good shape. All that being said, you have to make a decision, so I guess at this point you're looking for things on the margins.

Personally, my preference is Stanford. The prestige/'rigor' issue is really a thing of the past; 20 years ago, it may have favored UCSF, but that hasn't been true for at least the last 10 years or so. As you note, the fellowship matches the last few years in the most competitive fields (Cardiology, Heme/Onc) have been better at Stanford, and that's where the rubber truly meets the road in terms of reputation and setting you up for the future. I also get the sense that the Stanford residents on average are a happier/better-adjusted bunch. Of the fellows I have seen the last few years who have come from the two programs, I have been consistently more impressed with the clinical acumen/skills of the Stanford bunch, though admittedly we're talking about limited numbers.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions; I know these programs very well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Done with interviews, but struggling to finalize my rank list. Hoping to go into Pulm/Crit in the future. The following are my programs in no particular order.

- Emory
- Boston Medical Center
- Brown
- Tufts
- Cleveland Clinic
- Cooper
- UMass
- Rutgers RWJ
- Montefiore Moses & Weiler
- Hofstra - Staten Island
- Mt. Auburn

Done with interviews, but struggling to finalize my rank list. Hoping to go into Pulm/Crit in the future. The following are my programs in no particular order.

- Emory
- Boston Medical Center
- Brown
- Tufts
- Cleveland Clinic
- Cooper
- UMass
- Rutgers RWJ
- Mt. Auburn

Emory
BMC=montefiore
Cleveland clinic
Tufts
Brown
Rutgers
Umass
Rest

Also could separate further if you have a geographic preference

- Emory
- Boston Medical Center
- Brown
- Tufts
- Cleveland Clinic
- Cooper
- UMass
- Rutgers RWJ
- Mt. Auburn
Put them in order or GTFO.

Hi... really struggling to formulate my rank list and would appreciate any help.

• Non US IMG from Scotland, UK with the hope to pursue fellowship in Gastro or Cardio.
  • Ideally, would like a H1 Visa and have marked these programs with an asterisk but willing to choose a J1 program if it's spectacular and would help me to get into fellowship

I don't really mind about location. I want the most reputable program with strong rigorous training and with the best chances to match into fellowship, which is ultimately my only real priority. I am really confused with how to figure out middle tier/low tier etc and feel like I'm making rookie mistakes of seeing the "big names" just tied on to the end of basic community programs...

Of the ones I have interviewed at already, I see myself happy in them all and they seem pretty much similar to each other so I have not got any closer to figuring this out.....so really would love any help!

1. Mount Auburn Harvard*
  2. Case Western MetroHealth*
  3. Lankenau Medical Centre*
  4. Presence Saint Josephs* - Chicago
  5. St Luke ICAHN Roosevelt*
  6. Albany Medical College
  7. UConn Farmington
  8. Chicago Medical School/Rosalind Franklin Centegra
  9. Florida Atlantic University Charles Schmidt
  10. UConn New Britain
  11. Allegheny
  12. Advocate Illinois Maisonic
  13. Westchester*
  14. Rochester Unity Hospital*
  15. Rochester General Hospital*
  16. St Elizabeth Youngstown
  17. Fairview Hospital - Cleveland Clinic*
  18. Marshfield Clinic
  19. Conemaugh Medical Center
  20. Chicago Medical School/Captain James Lovell (VA hospital)
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it!
Have you confirmed if Mount Auburn will provide H1b this year?

Interested in academic heme onc, potentially industry later. Finished with interviews. Location is preferably east or west coast, connections to biotech also important.

Pretty sure about my top two which aren’t included.

1/2
Columbia
BIDMC
University of Washington
Yale
Uchicago
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Wash U
Mayo

Interested in academic heme onc, potentially industry later. Finished with interviews. Location is preferably east or west coast, connections to biotech also important.

Pretty sure about my top two which aren’t included.

1/2
Columbia
BIDMC
University of Washington
Yale
Uchicago
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Wash U
Mayo

Looks fine, I'd be curious though what's 1/2, I'd assume at least MGH/BWH is one or both of them.

Looks fine, I'd be curious though what's 1/2, I'd assume at least MGH/BWH is one or both of them.

I second that haha

out of curiosity, did you rank Wash U that low because of location or rep/strength of the program; not that I've interviewed at some of the places you've listed. Just surprised NW and Ann Arbor aren't part of the list somewhere.

Any thoughts on how to put the end of this list together? Especially Just not sure how to rank Baylor downwards.. Looking most likely for a fellowship in GI or cards

Especially confused about Cedar vs USC vs U of Miami

If anyone has any thoughts about 1-4/Mayo, would love to hear them too

1. Northwestern
2. Ann Arbor
3. Wash U
4. Baylor

5. Mayo
6. Cedar Sinai
7. USC
8. U of Miami
9. UIC

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all. I didn't receive interviews at NW or Michigan but I'd probably only have considered ranking NW highly. Location and ethnic composition ultimately, and maybe unfortunately, are drivers in my rank list. Wash U emphasizes research but my other programs do so as well, and the fellowship match kind of gravitating to the midwest was a factor.

Stanford is on my list :)

Hi all, hoping to do GI, family is kind of all over (including West Coast and the South). My list is...

1. Duke
2. UCSF
3. UCLA
4. UTSW
5. Penn
6. Baylor
7. Columbia
8. NYU
9. Northwestern
10. U Chicago
11. Cedars
12. Yale

My wife and I want to have kids during residency and she would rather not work afterwards. Duke had my favorite interview day by far, loved the PD and chiefs, I have trusted sources in the program who've told me they love it. And it is quite cheap. Durham seemed awesome and a great place to reach my personal goals - kids, savings, etc.

I liked UCSF but not a big fan of the city. Liked Penn ok but got a weird vibe throughout the day that didn't sit right with me. I really have no clue about the rest haha. Didn't care for NYC or Chicago. New Haven was not a good fit I don't think.

I have nagging questions though - will I like Durham? Will my wife be lonely (weve always lived in bigger cities and we dont know anyone there yet)? Is UCSF worth the cost and hassle of SF? Heelllp

Nice list. It is top-heavy.
#6 is definitely a tier or two below all the others in your Top 10, so be sure you truly want it at #6 - You could land there.

Hoping to do either pulm or cards in the future with an eye towards academics. I've got first 4 figured out, need help with the rest of the top 10. No particular geographical preference.

5. UMass
6. Virginia Tech
7. Loma Linda
8. UoA Tucson
9. UConn
10. Maine Medical Center

Hoping to do either pulm or cards in the future with an eye towards academics. I've got first 4 figured out, need help with the rest of the top 10. No particular geographical preference.

5. UMass
6. Virginia Tech
7. Loma Linda
8. UoA Tucson
9. UConn
10. Maine Medical Center
5-7 and 8-10 could basically be in any order so if that's how you liked them, go nuts.

On a somewhat related note, these partial lists are driving me insane.

Sweet, thanks. Might switch them up within those groups depending on what my partner prefers location-wise.

On a somewhat related note, these partial lists are driving me insane.

Lol, I get it. The top 4 were Brown, Dartmouth, UVM and Hershey but I didn’t think any of those could be replaced with the other 6 so left them out.

Biggest priorities are location and matching into competitive fellowship specifically GI. I have family in Chicago and NYC. Current ranking in order:

- Rush
- UIC
- Montefiore
- Cleveland Clinic
- Case Western
- UWisconsin
- Jefferson
- MCW

Thank you!

Biggest priorities are location and matching into competitive fellowship specifically GI. I have family in Chicago and NYC. Current ranking in order:

- Rush
- UIC
- Montefiore
- Cleveland Clinic
- Case Western
- UWisconsin
- Jefferson
- MCW

Thank you!
Wisconsin #1 then whatever in whatever order.

Wisconsin #1 then whatever in whatever order.

Monte, Jeff, case, wisco and Cleveland clinic are all more prestigious than rush or uic, though there is an obvious Chicago preference with the ranking as is. If it’s chicago nyc then rest I’d say wisco then Jeff above Cleveland clinic then the rest is ok as is

Firstly, thanks in advance for the help. I'm interested in academic cardiology or GI (most important factor). No geographic ties, although I prefer NE and SE.

Mount Sinai
Vanderbilt
Yale
OHSU
Madison Wisconsin
Montefiore
Utah
UMN
Rush
Brown
CCF
GWU

Any thoughts on how to put the end of this list together? Especially Just not sure how to rank Baylor downwards.. Looking most likely for a fellowship in GI or cards

Especially confused about Cedar vs USC vs U of Miami

If anyone has any thoughts about 1-4/Mayo, would love to hear them too

1. Northwestern
2. Ann Arbor
3. Wash U
4. Baylor

5. Mayo
6. Cedar Sinai
7. USC
8. U of Miami
9. UIC

1-5 looks fine, maybe edge to mayo vs baylor for rep but edge to baylor for location. The rest is a wash go with your gut.

Firstly, thanks in advance for the help. I'm interested in academic cardiology or GI (most important factor). No geographic ties, although I prefer NE and SE.

Mount Sinai
Vanderbilt
Yale
OHSU
Madison Wisconsin
Montefiore
Utah
UMN
Rush
Brown
CCF
GWU

Looks fine though I'd even be inclined to put Vandy at #1, but go with what felt best.

Mount Sinai
Vanderbilt
Yale
OHSU
Madison Wisconsin
Montefiore
Utah
UMN
Rush
Brown
CCF
GWU
Totally reasonable order. Not how I'd put them personally, but that would be for geographic reasons more than anything else. Hard to go wrong with your first 6-8 in any order honestly.

Thanks gutonc and fasteddie911 for your time and input.

Gutonc: Thanks for the reassurance in your previous post. If there were an order you'd place certain programs in due to not purely geographic reasons, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks gutonc and fasteddie911 for your time and input.

Gutonc: Thanks for the reassurance in your previous post. If there were an order you'd place certain programs in due to not purely geographic reasons, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
it doesn't really matter. Like I said, your first 8 could go in just about any order and be completely rational. If I were ranking those 8 programs, geography is exactly how I'd separate them.

Hello everyone, I'm here for the first time.
I need some advice regarding my ROL. I'll deeply appreciate your responses.
I applied for IM and my programs are (not in order):-
UT Memphis, UAMS Little Rock, UMMC Jackson, MedStar Washington Hospital Center, Mt. Sinai Queens, Rochester General Hospital, St. Peter's University Hospital, St Joseph's University Hospital New Jersey, Staten Island University Hospital, Montefiore Wakefield Campus, Monmouth, Crozer Chester, MetroWest Framingham and Elmhurst hospital.
I am thinking of keeping the University programs higher. Any suggestions. I want to do a fellowship. Does the location matter? or any other things that I should consider.
Thank you.

I'm having a difficult time decided some lower ranks on my list and was hoping for some insight. I interviewed at both UMass and Mt Auburn; they will likely end up 6 and 7 in my list. After the interview days, I feel that UMass will give me better clinical training, but that it is a workhorse program without much time to conduct research necessary for fellowship. They claim to match to the Boston programs, but it doesn't seem to have happened in a couple years. On the other hand, Mt Auburn seems to regularly match people into a couple of the Boston programs, including Heme/Onc at BIDMC. My goal at either would be to match Heme/Onc in one of the Boston programs, so it seems Mt Auburn may actually be the better choice despite the less robust clinical experience. Is that sound reasoning or am I missing something?

My honest opinion is that each program is what you make of it. Research is not handed to you on a silver platter at whichever program you choose to attend, and neither are connections formed simply because you are a resident of the program. Geographic proximity does matter and it's often reflected in the match, but it's not by all means a sure guarantee simply based on previous track record. The benefit of academic programs is in-house fellowships and immediate access to heme-onc mentors, and if you think you can obtain this at an equivalent community program, then go ahead and rank that higher. I interviewed at plenty of community programs when I was applying to residency and I ranked a couple higher than low-tier academic programs. I did like Mount Auburn overall. This all being said though, it may be splitting hairs if you're deciding between #6 and #7.

I have a bunch of CA community programs and have a hard time deciding how to rank these. There are several other academic and community programs I did not list here but I have already decided how to rank those.

Interested in fellowship. Cards would be the most competitive for me, but I'm open to more lifestyle-oriented subspecialties as well e.g. primary care, ID, rheum, endocrine. At the moment, location (anywhere in CA that has good amount of social and recreational activities as well as good selection of food) is most important to me.

This is the current rank order list based on gut feel and perceived reputation. Suggestions are appreciated!
1. Kaiser LA
-at the top because of in-house cards fellowship
2. Kaiser Oakland
-not sure whether to rank this higher than Kaiser LA as it is more established
3. Santa Clara Valley Med Center
-unfortunately didn't have a chance to talk to the residents because the way they schedule the availability of the pre-interview dinner is odd)
4. St. Mary's SF
-many IMGs but the PD used to be the PD at UCSF for many years, also they are getting more UCSF physicians to work at the hospital and getting more UCSF patients transferred there
5. Alameda-Highland
-current chief residents matched into competitive fellowships like cards at CPMC and Pulm/Crit at the actual UCSF; however not too keen on working with underserved patient population, though this hospital is famous for two documentaries!
6. Kaiser Santa Clara
-good history of matching residents into Pulm/Crit like SCVMC but not too interested in this subspecialty at the moment
7. Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
-one recent grad matched into cards at Kaiser SF
8. UCSF-Fresno
-their fellowship match doesn't seem too bad, but I am not a fan of the area. After interview day during the daylight, one random stranger came up to me asking for directions to an address that didn't remotely seem to be nearby which was sketch. Another gentlemen who walked by saw this interaction and asked me if I was okay. Also there isn't as much to do or see compared to the Bay Area and LA...sorry Fresno!

Not 100% sure about how it will play out with cards but when I interviewed at these places 3 years ago the overall gist looks about the same. I would rank SCVMC over Kaiser Oakland. They have a lot of access to Stanford and if you work hard you might have a fair shot (again, not sure if this will really play out for cards, but some of the less competitive fellowships definitely).

Hope everyone is done with interview season and fingers crossed it all went well for you all!

Struggling with my top 3 programs - priority is fellowship in Cards or GI and really confused which one will help me the most to get there.....

1) Westchester - in house fellowships in both cards and GI, affiliated with NYMC, seemed to have a good amount of research opportunities but was difficult to tell what exactly was being classed as "research" and whether it was publishable etc. Residents were friendly but not overly sociable. Hospital facilities were dated and old looking.

2) Mount Auburn - No in house fellowships. Opportunities to do electives at BWH and BIDMC. Seemed to have good research opportunities. Some of the happiest residents I have seen thus far. Seemed very invested into resident well being. I don't know how much weight the Harvard name will have on future career goals

3) Lankenau - not an X+Y program, in house fellowships and match their own quite frequently, Hospital facilities and grounds were immaculate. Residents seemed content - not too happy and not miserable

Any thoughts? Thank you for any input! :)

Westchester is not a bad residency program. They are clinically rigorous with high patient volume and the availability of in-house fellowships will help.

Not sure if Mount Auburn decided to invite literally everybody to interview this year but again, the research linkage opportunities are what you make of it. You still have to be motivated on these external rotations to form faculty connections and secure research projects. It is a pretty chill residency though and I did like it overall, but I felt clinical volume was almost too light. The answer to how much weight the Harvard name carries is literally none. No one cares that you went to Harvard's community affiliate for fellowship - sorry, but that's the way it is. If it was more prestigious frankly I wouldn't have gotten an interview there myself when I applied to residency with my app ;)

I've trolled this site for years & finally caved to get input. Currently I am at a US allopathic school in the NE, but am from a non-physician family in the rural Midwest. I am in the top 3rd of my class, with above average step scores and plenty of ECs. I am very interested in specializing, particularly Heme/onc, but am open to other specialties. Money is really tight and I would love a residency in place with a reasonable cost of living that does not require a car and offers moonlighting. Overall, each place I interviewed at had wonderful people, patients & career opportunities. Lastly, I am weighing the pro/cons of staying at the same institution for residency as medical school – would appreciate thoughts regarding this.

Rank list priorities
1. Ability to train great internists
2. Fellowship opportunity (especially heme/onc)
3. Location – The NE is great, but I really miss the Midwest (I love the idea of Chicago). My S.O. has good job opportunities in all these cities but isn’t sure about moving with me & prefers the NE (we currently live together).

Working list (I am very undecided about the top 5):
1. University of Maryland
2. Jefferson
3. RUSH
4. University of Illinois at Chicago
5. University of Minnesota
6. Georgetown
7. Loyola
8. George Washington
9. Temple

Good luck to everyone & thank you for any input!

I've trolled this site for years & finally caved to get input. Currently I am at a US allopathic school in the NE, but am from a non-physician family in the rural Midwest. I am in the top 3rd of my class, with above average step scores and plenty of ECs. I am very interested in specializing, particularly Heme/onc, but am open to other specialties. Money is really tight and I would love a residency in place with a reasonable cost of living that does not require a car and offers moonlighting. Overall, each place I interviewed at had wonderful people, patients & career opportunities. Lastly, I am weighing the pro/cons of staying at the same institution for residency as medical school – would appreciate thoughts regarding this.

Rank list priorities
1. Ability to train great internists
2. Fellowship opportunity (especially heme/onc)
3. Location – The NE is great, but I really miss the Midwest (I love the idea of Chicago). My S.O. has good job opportunities in all these cities but isn’t sure about moving with me & prefers the NE (we currently live together).

Working list (I am very undecided about the top 5):
1. University of Maryland
2. Jefferson
3. RUSH
4. University of Illinois at Chicago
5. University of Minnesota
6. Georgetown
7. Loyola
8. George Washington
9. Temple

Good luck to everyone & thank you for any input!
UMinn is the "best" program on your list. But that order isn't unreasonable.

Hello, I feel pleased with my top 3 but the next 3-4 after that I am having trouble with. Obviously I want to stay in the Northeast and would prefer the northeast for any possible fellowships as well. Cardiology is my goal. Here is my current ROL....

1. UConn
2.UMass
3.UVM
4.Lahey
5. Albany
6. Maine Med
7. Winthrop
8. Einstein, Philadelphia
9. Geisinger
10. St. Luke's Bethlehem
11. St. Vincent's Worcester

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Planning to do interventional cardiology in the future.

Now I am having a hard time trying to decide between:

RUSH=====
Nice facility, great research.
However, CARD seems not their strong suit. Card fellowship placement in recent years: The best stayed in-house or went to NHNS/LIJ (the hospital below).
Chicago can be really cold?

vs

Northwell Health Northshore University/ Long Island Jewish====
Nice neighborhood,
extremely wealthy program (considering the reimbursed housing and $73000 as an intern).
Great interventional card branch.
New university program, seems almost everyone stayed in-house for card fellowship (Not sure why though? Cause they pay much higher vs nobody outside would take them in?)

Would love to hear your input.

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide between Iowa and Rush on my rank list. I loved both programs. I think Iowa may actually be a better fit and has a better COL. But I loved Chicago as a city hands down.

Interested in possibly doing a fellowship but not sure at this point. It seems like residents at both programs match pretty well.

Any thoughts/feedback? Thank you in advance.

Long time lurker, having trouble with these in my ROL. Uncertain about future speciality. Thinking ID or nephrology?

1. Colorado: Loved the PD. Enjoyed spending time with the residents at the dinner. Though residents kept mentioning how hard they worked and how they worked much harder than residents at other programs.
2. Minnesota: Residents were very nice. Liked the global health program.
3. BU: Probably the best fellowship match. Though COL in Boston is insane. Also worried if the culture is as collegial as the rest of my list...
4. Case Western: Enjoyed spending time with the residents. PD seems great. Loved my interviewers.
5. Rochester, NY: My favorite morning report
6. Wisconsin: Seems like great mentoring and the PD. Madison also seems like a nice place to live.
7. Ohio state
8. Indiana
9. Cincinnati: wasn't a fan of the long block

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide between Iowa and Rush on my rank list. I loved both programs. I think Iowa may actually be a better fit and has a better COL. But I loved Chicago as a city hands down.

Interested in possibly doing a fellowship but not sure at this point. It seems like residents at both programs match pretty well.

Any thoughts/feedback? Thank you in advance.
You can always move to Chicago after you finish residency...all things bro g equal, pick the place that you feel is a better fit

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, please help me rank!

Considering: Looking to do academic medicine as a career, set me up best for fellowships

1. Jefferson
2. Iowa
3. Hofstra
4. Rush
5. Dartmouth
6. UC Davis
7. St. Louis
8. U of Wisconsin
9. UIC
10. Temple
11. UC Irvine

Long time lurker, having trouble with these in my ROL. Uncertain about future speciality. Thinking ID or nephrology?

1. Colorado: Loved the PD. Enjoyed spending time with the residents at the dinner. Though residents kept mentioning how hard they worked and how they worked much harder than residents at other programs.
2. Minnesota: Residents were very nice. Liked the global health program.
3. BU: Probably the best fellowship match. Though COL in Boston is insane. Also worried if the culture is as collegial as the rest of my list...
4. Case Western: Enjoyed spending time with the residents. PD seems great. Loved my interviewers.
5. Rochester, NY: My favorite morning report
6. Wisconsin: Seems like great mentoring and the PD. Madison also seems like a nice place to live.
7. Ohio state
8. Indiana
9. Cincinnati: wasn't a fan of the long block
Colorado/Wisco
UMinn/Indy/tOSU
Cincy/BU/Case/URoch

Hi, please help me rank!

Considering: Looking to do academic medicine as a career, set me up best for fellowships

1. Jefferson
2. Iowa
3. Hofstra
4. Rush
5. Dartmouth
6. UC Davis
7. St. Louis
8. U of Wisconsin
9. UIC
10. Temple
11. UC Irvine
Wisco
Dartmouth/Iowa/Davis
Irvine/Jeff/SLU
UIC/Rush/Temple
Hofstra (why is this even on your list?)

Wisco
Dartmouth/Iowa/Davis
Irvine/Jeff/SLU
UIC/Rush/Temple
Hofstra (why is this even on your list?)

Hello thanks so much for your post.
Any reason why Jefferson would be lower than Iowa or UC Davis?
I've heard some good things about Hofstra, and I liked the interview day and the program director.

Hi everyone,
I really can use help on ranking! Looking to do primary care or an outpatient specialty, like allergy/immunology.
Because I'm an IMG, decided to interview at a lot of places...however, I feel clueless and really need help in determining the quality of the hospitals.
I prefer to be in NY. Any advice or info on any of the below places would be greatly appreciated!
And yes, I put them in my potential rank order...

1) Staten Island University
2) Jacobi
3) St Lukes Roosevelt/Mt Sinai
4) Stamford (Conneticut)
5) NYU Brooklyn community health track
6) Maimonides
7) Beth Israel/Mt Sinai
8) New York Presbyterian Queens
9) Cedars Sinai
10) Aventura
11) Lincoln Medical Center
12) Mt Sinai Queens Hospital
13) Pennsylvania Hospital
14) Washington Hospital Center
15) Palisades Medical Center
16) LIJ Forest Hills

Hi everyone,
I really can use help on ranking! Looking to do primary care or an outpatient specialty, like allergy/immunology.
Because I'm an IMG, decided to interview at a lot of places...however, I feel clueless and really need help in determining the quality of the hospitals.
I prefer to be in NY. Any advice or info on any of the below places would be greatly appreciated!

2) Jacobi
4) Stamford (Conneticut)
6) Maimonides
7) Beth Israel/Mt Sinai
9) Cedars Sinai
10) Aventura
16) LIJ Forest Hills

I would say Cedar Sinai (if the one in LA)>St Lukes=Beth Israell would be the absolutely the best. Jacobi is malignant but has decent training. Maimonide and NYP queens provides a great life for someone of Chinese/ Korean origin because of its close proximity to Flushing/ Chinatown.

But that's just my two cents.

Hi everyone,

2) Jacobi
4) Stamford (Conneticut)
6) Maimonides
7) Beth Israel/Mt Sinai
9) Cedars Sinai
10) Aventura
16) LIJ Forest Hills

I would be careful about Beth Israel. I interviewed there and loved the atmosphere and people, however the looming shutdown wasn’t very well addressed and when I reached out to the PD for a better explanation of how the program would be impacted I got no response. If you’ve heard any differently let me know, best of luck!!

Hey everyone, just found this thread and figured I would ask for some advice. I have my rank list pretty set except for my number 4/5 spot. I’m debating between Stony Brook and Downstate. I’m from the LI/Queens border area and have always wanted to be in or around the city.

I enjoyed the atmosphere and people at both programs, plus, both have quality fellowship match records and research opportunities. The con to Downstate is the lack of ancillary staff and the added stress that may put on residents, while the con for stony brook is purely location (isolated all the way on the east end of long island).

Any input or advice would be greatly welcomed. Good luck to everyone in the Match!

Hi everyone,

2) Jacobi
4) Stamford (Conneticut)
6) Maimonides
7) Beth Israel/Mt Sinai
9) Cedars Sinai
10) Aventura
16) LIJ Forest Hills

I honestly can't speak to many of the places you've listed but I definitely can speak to Cedars and a bit of St. Lukes.
Cedars has a good fellowship match list, a lot of money for research, and it's a really nice hospital imo. Plus LA weather is unbeatable especially when compared to NY.
I rotated at the St. Lukes CCU, I felt the hospital was definitely a lot older, less funded, and crowded. Had great staff especially for cardiology but that's not really your interest.

I would second the person above me and push Cedars at least to #3 (if not higher).

PM me if you have any questions about those 2 prorgams.

Hi everyone,

2) Jacobi
4) Stamford (Conneticut)
6) Maimonides
7) Beth Israel/Mt Sinai
9) Cedars Sinai
10) Aventura
16) LIJ Forest Hills

If you’re interest is to get good training and stay in NY Jacobi should be 1, slr 2 then rank the rest as you see fit.

Just a 4th year so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but since you don't seem too bound by geography and are interested in academics, I'd think about moving up Bayview (unless the thought of living in Baltimore is the main thing you're thinking about). It's a rockstar program, a true part of the Hopkins experience rather than a community after-thought. I've worked with multiple fellows who did residency at Bayview and they all love it. Just a thought. I think it would go above CCF on that list.

My bad, my list was not in order.
Any reason why you are down on the cleveland clinic? I'd heard rumblings of things, but was wondering.

Posted earlier and didn't get any love.

Penn State
UTMB
Virginia Tech
UT-Knoxville
MCOG
------------ Start of smaller programs
Brookwood Baptist (Birmingham)
OU-Tulsa
FSU
Kennestone (GA)

Edit: this is my order right now. Interested in critical care, ID, and/or possibly teaching/program leadership

Last edited:
Ranking Mid Tier IM/PSTP programs for Heme-Onc

How would you order these:

University of Rochester
University of Cincinnati
Scripps Green Clinic

Happy Holiday Season! Long time lurker as well here. I am a Non-US Need Visa IMG interested in Hem-Onc fellowship. I hope to do some research as an oncologist in the future.

Goal: Hem-Onc fellowship and opportunity for research

1. Cook County: Inhouse Hem-Onc fellowship, decent alumni placement for a community hospital, got rid of much scut work these years. Not easy to get away rotation.
2. Houston Methodist: Inhouse Hem-Onc fellowship, strong faculty members, alumni mostly matched in Texas. No away rotation.
3. Albert Einstein Philly: Inhouse Hem-Onc fellowship. Great alumni placement. Merging with Thomas Jefferson Univ (not sure good or bad)
4. St. Luke's–Roosevelt: Great alumni placement, opportunity to rotate at MSKCC.
5. Jacobi: They want to start their own inhouse Hem-Onc fellowship. Matched 1~2 residents to Monte Hem-Onc. Flexible research elective time. Electives can only be done at Monte.
6. Staten Island Univ Hospital/Northwell Health: Inhouse Hem-Onc fellowship. Not a lot of people doing away electives.
7. Univ of Hawaii: Supportive to take away electives or attend conference in mainland US.
8. Midtown campus/University of Maryland: Many rotations done at Main Campus. Very easy to get away electives at prestigious institutes.
9. Mount Sinai Queens: Good fellowship placement (1~2 go to SUNY Downstate Hem-Onc). Seems supportive to do research so long as you are proactive.
10. Danbury: Hiring full-time scholars to help the residents for their research. Electives at their affiliated hospitals. Not many people matched to Hem-Onc.
11. Saint Peter's/Rutgers RWJ: Not many people matched to Hem-Onc.

I have glanced through several old threads regarding some programs that invited me. In terms of overall strength, probably all program are similar on this list. I may move Jacobi up to the top since a few successful alumni are from my home country. I appreciate your input and expertise!
I think Jacobi prefers people from albt einstein for hem/onc fellow so if you dont belong to albt i dont think you going for hem onc.