Official 2018/2019 "Help Me Rank" Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interested in GI, I would really appreciate your input:

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Jackson Memorial Hospital/Miami
3. Rutgers NJMS
4. Mt. Sinai St. Luke/Roosevelt
5. MedStar Washington Hospital Center
6. University of Arizona Tucson
7. St. Elizabeth/ Boston
8. Albany
9. Allegheny
10. Mount Auburn
11. Bridgeport/Yale
12. UConn
13. University of Oklahoma
14. Lankenau
15. Baystate

Any input, please? I am really confused with my list.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
they all were from SLR. It was also surprising for me.

This is a stupid argument and I have no personal connection to slr but you’re spreading misinformation. One was a med student one was a renal attending.

looking for fellowship in CARDS... how would you rank this list

RUSH
MOUNT SINAI ST LUKE
HOUSTON METHODIST
JACKSON MEMORIAL/UNIV OF MIAMI
JACOBI/AECOM
Isn't Houston Methodist the best Cards hospital...in the country or something?
I also know Jacobi is very strong at Cards, I know 2 people from my school that went there because of that. They have a very strong fellowship match specifically at Cards.

I did not say they were residents. Just said they were from SLR. Shared it considering it might be an important factor for some people.

Not sure how a Sinai med student and a renal attending sadly committing suicide should influence any decision on how to rank SLR. Please explain

I'm really struggling to decide how to rank JHH vs. Columbia. My career goals are in academic cards

JHH - I loved it. I really did. My impression is it is hands down the best training of all the places I have been. It may be the only place where the whole hospital seems to revolve around resident training. Sanjay Desai is an amazing PD. Didactics are amazing. Obviously, unlimited opportunities leaving JHH. Also, I thought the housestaff were genuinely thrilled with their decision to come. They all seemed really close. I really don't mind Baltimore - I think it is less of a negative for me than most

Columbia - I really, really loved being there. I would love to live in NYC. The program is great too. I like the concept of 2 attending rounds. Felt like the teaching on rounds was really good too. Saw very few residents actually. I think for a solid half hour only applicants were at the dinner. Absolutely loved the PD David Chong there as well. I obviously dont think there are any real limitations coming out of Columbia.

I guess my question is JHH an absolute career changer compared to Columbia or is it really just splitting hairs?

I'm really struggling to decide how to rank JHH vs. Columbia. My career goals are in academic cards

JHH - I loved it. I really did. My impression is it is hands down the best training of all the places I have been. It may be the only place where the whole hospital seems to revolve around resident training. Sanjay Desai is an amazing PD. Didactics are amazing. Obviously, unlimited opportunities leaving JHH. Also, I thought the housestaff were genuinely thrilled with their decision to come. They all seemed really close. I really don't mind Baltimore - I think it is less of a negative for me than most

Columbia - I really, really loved being there. I would love to live in NYC. The program is great too. I like the concept of 2 attending rounds. Felt like the teaching on rounds was really good too. Saw very few residents actually. I think for a solid half hour only applicants were at the dinner. Absolutely loved the PD David Chong there as well. I obviously dont think there are any real limitations coming out of Columbia.

I guess my question is JHH an absolute career changer compared to Columbia or is it really just splitting hairs?

You are 100% splitting hairs
This is like the typical SDN first world worrying over whether they prefer a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Aston

Reactions: 2 users
I also know Jacobi is very strong at Cards, I know 2 people from my school that went there because of that. They have a very strong fellowship match specifically at Cards.

Methodist is a good cardiology hospital but not the “best” (which is an absurdly subjective term... best at heart failure? Cath? EP? Research? Academic fellatio?) I think. The major one in Houston that’s well know is Texas Heart Institute. That being said, I know folks who went to Methodist for both residency and fellowship and loved it. They’re also building a brand new hospital which sounds gorgeous

1) UTSW
2) UVA
3) U Arizona Tucson
4) Mayo AZ
5) U Arizona Phx
6) Wisconsin
7) UAB
8) UF
9) OSU
10) Indiana
11) Minnesota
12) UMD

I'm interested in cardiology. My first choice is a no-brainer for me. But I'm curious if my 3-5 ranked programs would lower my chances of cards fellowship compared to the rest of my list. Are my 6-12 ranked programs significantly better than those AZ programs? From what I gather, the programs I have in the 6-12 spots are all solid mid-tier programs (UAB maybe a step above), whereas the AZ programs (3-5) maybe considered lower tier university programs. AZ happens to be a geographic preference, but I'm ok with living elsewhere for 3 years.

Side note: I had board scores of 257/269 coming from a well-reputed US MD school...I am shocked how competitive it is at the top of IM. Getting top interviews is really not about step scores, trust me. I know a lot of people scoring in the 230s that got a bunch of top tier interviews.
Any input on which programs (besides UTSW) would be best for securing a cards fellowship? Let’s say I remove the AZ programs (rank 3-5) from the list.

Last edited:

Honestly more of a question of do you want to live in NYC with its high cost of living, high rent, and dysfunctional subways for 3 years.

Is there a big difference in prospects/educational quality/vibe between UTSW and Duke? These are my 1 and 2. Thinking hospitalist vs GI

My family is in Texas (not Dallas, but driving distance) and I really like the state, though Dallas is my least favorite part of Texas probably. I really liked my interview here but honestly fell in love with Duke when I interviewed there. Durham is a smaller town and would probably not have the job prospects for my wife that the DFW area would have. I also worry that she would feel very lonely among the woods of Durham, as we livie in a big NE city right now. But both places seemed like nice places to train. Duke's fellowship match list (Duke Internal Medicine Residency Program celebrates Fellowship Match 2018-19 | medicine.duke.edu) "pops off the page" much more than UTSW, though UT also has a very respectable match list (I think the 2018 match is only in paper copy from the interview day)

Duke seems to have a more supportive atmosphere, as there are many more mentor/coaching opportunities baked into the experience. Durham cost of living is quite a bit cheaper and this is important since my wife may choose to not work after we have kids (maybe in R2).

So I'm feeling UTSW but Duke is a hard place to turn down because I have unfortunately bought into this idea that Duke is a top 5 place and UTSW is just a certain smidge below that top tier. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Chicago or Northwestern or Mayo or Stanford or WashU or UW? Please help me decide!! Family is in Chi, thinking about an Onc fellowship in the future

Last edited:
University of Chicago or Northwestern or Mayo or Stanford or WashU or UW? Please help me decide!! Family is in Chi, thinking about an Onc fellowship in the future

By pure onc reputation alone:

UW
Stanford (if you want to be in California, they take a lot of their own and doing the residency in Cali will set you up well for UCSF or UCLA) or Mayo (have to deal with Rochester)
UChicago/Northwestern/Wash U

Maybe best cards hospital in Houston per USnews which we all know is bs, and that's for patients, not necessarily trainees

Splitting hairs. Columbia is a cards powerhouse and many stay there for fellowship. JHH isn't as strong in cards but you can go anywhere from there.

Is there a big difference in prospects/educational quality/vibe between UTSW and Duke? These are my 1 and 2. Thinking hospitalist vs GI

So I'm feeling UTSW but Duke is a hard place to turn down because I have unfortunately bought into this idea that Duke is a top 5 place and UTSW is just a certain smidge below that top tier. Any thoughts?

I'd agree with that and put duke ahead of UTSW, but your wife's job prospects is a personal decision but social life shouldn't be an issue.

Can't go wrong with any of them. Certainly doing residency in chicago can potentially set you up for for fellowship in chicago then a job in chicago.

Hi all, would appreciate some help here. Will pursue a heme/onc fellowship and am trying to rank the following institutions. Any thoughts on the relative strength of each institution's home heme/onc program would be helpful. Obviously geography is the main difference here (in general the actual programs themselves are pretty similar). I liked them all when i was interviewing and would live in any of these cities.

Stanford, BIDMC, UWash, Cornell, UCLA, UTSW

Each program hem/onc strength is irrelevant, in this case, unless you're thinking you'd want to stick around for fellowship. You can't go wrong with any of the programs.

I'd appreciate any input and would be interested in other peoples views, not considering geographic or personal considerations.
Aiming for cards or hospitalist (haven't decided just yet).
Thank you.

1. Mayo Az
2. Penn Hosp
3. UofA Tuscon
4. UofA Phx
5. UofA South Campus
6. Creighton Maricopa
7. Lehigh Valley
8. Billings

Last edited:
I'd appreciate any input and would be interested in other peoples views, not considering geographic or personal considerations.
Aiming for cards or hospitalist (haven't decided just yet).
Thank you.

- Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- University of Arizona Phoenix
- University of Arizona Tucson
- Mayo Az
- Creighton/Maricopa
- University of Arizona South Campus
- Billings Clinic
Seems like a reasonable order.

Hey guys, I'm interested in Cardiology. I'm slightly biased to wanting to live in Cali. Help me rank the following:
Loma Linda
Drexel
Hofstra Lenox Hill.

For fellowship prospects, JHH > Columbia. But only a slight difference. We're talking Top 3/4 vs. Top 10. If you're not loving one way more than the other, put JHH first.

Interested in Pulm or GI. Obviously ideal spot would be academic with fellowship opportunities. No strong geographic preference. I'm pretty confident about my top 3, but beyond that, I'm not too sure. All those with an asterisk have either in-house pulm, GI, or both. I understand that a lot of them are low/mid-tier programs and that the general ranking probably doesn't matter too much with the exception of the community programs.

1. NYU Winthrop**
2. Stony Brook**
3. UConn**
4. UTMB**
5. Medical College of Georgia**
6. University of South Carolina- Columbia***
7. University of Mississippi***
8. UPMC Mercy
9. University of Tennessee-Knoxville**
10. Detroit Medical Center**
11. University of Tennessee- Nashville
12. Danbury Hospital
13. Kent Hospital/Brown University***
14. Methodist Dallas Medical Center***
15. Legacy Emanuel

Interested in Pulm or GI. Obviously ideal spot would be academic with fellowship opportunities. No strong geographic preference. I'm pretty confident about my top 3, but beyond that, I'm not too sure. All those with an asterisk have either in-house pulm, GI, or both. I understand that a lot of them are low/mid-tier programs and that the general ranking probably doesn't matter too much with the exception of the community programs.

1. NYU Winthrop**
2. Stony Brook**
3. UConn**
4. UTMB**
5. Medical College of Georgia**
6. University of South Carolina- Columbia***
7. University of Mississippi***
8. UPMC Mercy
9. University of Tennessee-Knoxville**
10. Detroit Medical Center**
11. University of Tennessee- Nashville
12. Danbury Hospital
13. Kent Hospital/Brown University***
14. Methodist Dallas Medical Center***
15. Legacy Emanuel

Seems fine. Kinda random. I don’t have much more to offer than go with your gut

Hi all! I'm heading towards the end of my interviews, would really a ppreciate any input on my tentative list.
I am interested in cards/pulm but then heme onc sounds cool too, really haven't decided...
Geographically I have no preference at all (ok maybe I didn't like Philadelphia), and no personal ties in US. I am a Canadian DO grad.

1) Univ South Florida
2) Loyola Univ
3) Houston Methodist
4)U of AZ Phoenix
5) Case Western Metrohealth
6) Albany Medical Center
7) Loma Linda Univ
8) Mount Sinai Beth Israel
9) Lehigh Valley (in PA)
10) Creighton St Joseph (AZ)
11) Creighton Maricopa (AZ)
12) Legacy Emmanuel (OR)
13) Einstein Philly

Hi all! I'm heading towards the end of my interviews, would really a ppreciate any input on my tentative list.
I am interested in cards/pulm but then heme onc sounds cool too, really haven't decided...
Geographically I have no preference at all (ok maybe I didn't like Philadelphia), and no personal ties in US. I am a Canadian DO grad.

1) Univ South Florida
2) Loyola Univ
3) Houston Methodist
4)U of AZ Phoenix
6) Albany Medical Center
7) Loma Linda Univ
9) Lehigh Valley (in PA)
12) Legacy Emmanuel (OR)
13) Einstein Philly

Shouldn't you rank the academic programs higher than houston methodist (community)? Academic being U of AZ, Albany Medical Center, Loma Linda...since you want to do fellowship? That is something I have struggled with here, comparing good community programs to low/mid tier academic programs. But the consensus I've gotten is that academic > community.

Shouldn't you rank the academic programs higher than houston methodist (community)? Academic being U of AZ, Albany Medical Center, Loma Linda...since you want to do fellowship? That is something I have struggled with here, comparing good community programs to low/mid tier academic programs. But the consensus I've gotten is that academic > community.

that was my initial thought too, but if you actually compare the data (fellowship placement/board pass rate), places like Methodist/Case Metrohealth actually have really good placement when compared to academic centers such as Loma Linda, I'd appreciate input from other people on this as well.

LA Cedar Sinai vs Mayo vs Northwestern

I'm going for internal medicine and leaning towards a fellowship in Cardiology or GI - but, that can easily change.

I'm not sure how to go about ranking these - Almost all sites rank Mayo to be the highest in internal medicine and Mayo apparently holds #1 for both GI and cardiology while LA Cedar Sinai holds #3 for both GI and cardiology.

Pros of Cedar Sina: It's in LA. Great program. Sets up more opportunities in the West coast especially that there are many big names out there
Pros of Mayo: Fantastic program. Probably ranked one of the highest (but #1 vs #3 - how does it matter)
Cons of Mayo: ridiculous weather. Could kill my spirit - I really going out even if its just once/month or more.

Ultimate question - Would Mayo really open up fellowship opportunities that Cedar Sinai wouldn't?

Northwestern - I'm feeling it should be my third out of these 3 but I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations.
You are going to use arbitrary rankings to guide a critical decision in your career? What are your thoughts on their criteria they used to make those rankings? My point is that is a terrible idea. Really, so is taking advice from people on the internet. All that said, NW is the best of these 3 programs followed by Mayo. Cedar Sinai is a very distant 3rd

And if you don't mind me asking how did you come up with NW as being first?

Criteria mainly focused around research, patient care and resident/doctor reviews
You're not going to suffer coming from any of those places.

The rankings you note (USNWR, Doximity, whatever) are total horses**t so please ignore them.

I'd personally rank them
NW
Mayo
Cedars

NW first because it's cush AF for an academic IM residency and has a great reputation nationally so any fellowship opportunities you have will come down to your own merits/shortcomings, not your program. This can pretty much be said of all 3 of these programs though. Also, Chicago is a pretty sweet city when you're out of the hospital.

Mayo 2nd because your grandma will be super proud of you but seriously, 3 years in the frozen north probably isn't worth grandma's praise since she'll likely be dead before you graduate. Also the other things above about how this is a distinction without a difference.

Cedars 3rd because it's a "community program" (please reference the distinction/difference comment above). Also, by the time you finish residency, I would anticipate SoCal to be "on fire" (literally, not figuratively) for 6-9 months a year so the QOL/COL ratio will take an even more dramatic turn for the worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd personally rank them
NW
Mayo
Cedars

NW first because it's cush AF for an academic IM residency and has a great reputation nationally so any fellowship opportunities you have will come down to your own merits/shortcomings, not your program.

I’d be interested to see a discussion about the cushness of NW. I generally got the impression they worked fairly hard. Some interns had made it to October before getting a weekend off. I know it has a reputation for being cush, but is that really the case at this point? I didn’t really get a good idea of what the general day to day looked like.

And if you don't mind me asking how did you come up with NW as being first?

Criteria mainly focused around research, patient care and resident/doctor reviews

Mayo> or = to NW>>>>> cedars. There’s no real ranking sorry. The only rankings out there for specialties like GI are just for the practicing groups of the hospital. Not the fellowships. Don’t fall for the tricks.

You're not going to suffer coming from any of those places.

The rankings you note (USNWR, Doximity, whatever) are total horses**t so please ignore them.

I'd personally rank them
NW
Mayo
Cedars

NW first because it's cush AF for an academic IM residency and has a great reputation nationally so any fellowship opportunities you have will come down to your own merits/shortcomings, not your program. This can pretty much be said of all 3 of these programs though. Also, Chicago is a pretty sweet city when you're out of the hospital.

Mayo 2nd because your grandma will be super proud of you but seriously, 3 years in the frozen north probably isn't worth grandma's praise since she'll likely be dead before you graduate. Also the other things above about how this is a distinction without a difference.

Cedars 3rd because it's a "community program" (please reference the distinction/difference comment above). Also, by the time you finish residency, I would anticipate SoCal to be "on fire" (literally, not figuratively) for 6-9 months a year so the QOL/COL ratio will take an even more dramatic turn for the worse.

This.

1) Univ South Florida
2) Loyola Univ
3) Houston Methodist
4)U of AZ Phoenix
6) Albany Medical Center
7) Loma Linda Univ
9) Lehigh Valley (in PA)
12) Legacy Emmanuel (OR)
13) Einstein Philly
Shameless self bump.... anyone paleeeeese?

Thanks everyone for the input.. Was really surprised by the replies so I'm really glad I asked

Any advice on

Wash U vs Ann Arbor vs Baylor? I was thinking to rank them in that order

WashU=UMich>Baylor, your ranking looks good.

Shameless self bump.... anyone paleeeeese?

Doesn’t Albany medical center still do paper charts? Like a consult note is handwritten in some sticky chart and you can never read it so you have to end up calling the consult person and wait to hear back from them before being able to do anything with a patient?

Finished interviews last week, top of my list has been driving me crazy. Interested in GI and research heavy career. Home is in the midwest, have slight pref towards there (but obviously not binding).

1. Stanford - Had strongest gut feeling here, got along great with residents/faculty. COL is really biggest concern
2. Penn - Possibly the "strongest" program i visited. Love the city and they have ppl doing great research
3. Duke - Like 4+2, DCRI. Not sure Durham has what i'm looking for
4. Vandy - Love Nashville, really strong research infrastructure. Having to talk myself out of putting it higher
5. Northwestern - Close to home, strong GI network
6. UChicago
7. Michigan
8. Washu
Im just an applicant and interviewed at a number of the same places but I find it hard to find anything wrong with your ranking. I think Stanford/Penn/Duke are a tier slightly above the rest. I personally was not very impressed with UChicago and would rank it below Michigan and WashU but I thought about that for a while bc Chicago >> Ann Arbor and STL. I similarly liked Vandy a lot. Good luck!

Doesn’t Albany medical center still do paper charts? Like a consult note is handwritten in some sticky chart and you can never read it so you have to end up calling the consult person and wait to hear back from them before being able to do anything with a patient?
oh really?! wow that's a news lol. Yeah I'm having the Albany interview (last one) tomorrow, will move it up or down accordingly...Any recommendations on the other ones on the list? Thank you in advance.

Finished interviews last week, top of my list has been driving me crazy. Interested in GI and research heavy career. Home is in the midwest, have slight pref towards there (but obviously not binding).

1. Stanford - Had strongest gut feeling here, got along great with residents/faculty. COL is really biggest concern
2. Penn - Possibly the "strongest" program i visited. Love the city and they have ppl doing great research
4. Vandy - Love Nashville, really strong research infrastructure. Having to talk myself out of putting it higher
6. UChicago
7. Michigan
8. Washu
You can use pretty much any criteria you wanted to in order to rank these programs (X+Y; location; USNWR NIH Research Funding ranking; That Doximity B******t; EMR; nicest program coordinator; etc) and not go wrong.

oh really?! wow that's a news lol. Yeah I'm having the Albany interview (last one) tomorrow, will move it up or down accordingly...Any recommendations on the other ones on the list? Thank you in advance.
Have heard the same thing about ualbany

As others have said, the rankings you refer to are a joke & do not reflect the quality of the training programs. Northwestern by far the best of these programs, probably then Mayo followed by Cedars though closer between those 2. Good luck!

LA Cedar Sinai vs Mayo vs Northwestern

I'm going for internal medicine and leaning towards a fellowship in Cardiology or GI - but, that can easily change.

I'm not sure how to go about ranking these - Almost all sites rank Mayo to be the highest in internal medicine and Mayo apparently holds #1 for both GI and cardiology while LA Cedar Sinai holds #3 for both GI and cardiology.

Pros of Cedar Sina: It's in LA. Great program. Sets up more opportunities in the West coast especially that there are many big names out there
Pros of Mayo: Fantastic program. Probably ranked one of the highest (but #1 vs #3 - how does it matter)
Cons of Mayo: ridiculous weather. Could kill my spirit - I really going out even if its just once/month or more.

Ultimate question - Would Mayo really open up fellowship opportunities that Cedar Sinai wouldn't?

Northwestern - I'm feeling it should be my third out of these 3 but I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations.

I would go Northwestern>Wash U>U Chicago>Mayo in Midwest, Stanford>UW in the West, though depends a lot on geographical preferences. Good luck!

I think the list looks good as is. I would rank 1-5 exactly the same as you. Probably irrelevant after that but I would probably put U Chicago below Michigan/Wash U.

You can message me if you have any Qs - I know many of these programs well.

Good luck!

6. UChicago
7. Michigan
8. Washu

6. UChicago
7. Michigan
8. Washu

Come to Stanford! COL isnt as big of a deal as most people think. sticker shock on rent is definitely a thing but as an intern your first year salary will balance that out - this year's interns got more then $78,393.

I think I need some advice.

Interested in academic programs with a strong interest in GI fellowship. I would prefer to be in the West, but strength of the program is more important to me.

1. UC San Diego

2. Vanderbilt

3. UChicago

4. Mount Sinai/Icahn

5. Cedars-Sinai

6. Baylor

7. NYU

8. UC Irvine

9. University of Utah

I feel strongly about 1-2, but the rest are mostly arbitrary based on how I felt during interview day.

Looks fine to me. I might switch 1 and 2 if you truly had no location preference, but they’re really close and if you prefer the West I would probably rank exactly how you did.

Good luck!

Interested in academic programs with a strong interest in GI fellowship. I would prefer to be in the West, but strength of the program is more important to me.

1. UC San Diego

2. Vanderbilt

3. UChicago

4. Mount Sinai/Icahn

5. Cedars-Sinai

6. Baylor

7. NYU

8. UC Irvine

9. University of Utah

I feel strongly about 1-2, but the rest are mostly arbitrary based on how I felt during interview day.

1. UC San Diego

2. Vanderbilt

3. UChicago

4. Mount Sinai/Icahn

5. Cedars-Sinai

6. Baylor

7. NYU

8. UC Irvine

9. University of Utah

Just assume that you match GI in your residency program, which would you prefer and then rank like that. You’ll have no problem from any of those.

1. UC San Diego

2. Vanderbilt

3. UChicago

4. Mount Sinai/Icahn

5. Cedars-Sinai

6. Baylor

7. NYU

8. UC Irvine

9. University of Utah

I would probably put mt Sinai up higher and drop UCSD all the way behind Baylor if you’re talking GI. That is of course if we leave geography out of all this.