Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for a lot of great feedback from everyone! UPenn is the obvious main competitor in the Philly area, but I was wondering what people's opinions were of the others (Jefferson, Fox Chase/Temple, MD Anderson at Cooper). Any input that people have regarding how these programs compare to one another would be much appreciated.

After UPENN as the top academic program in philly, i like FCCC. I think they are an awesome clinical program with great clinical exposure. Great program for private practice. They expose fellows to the clinic very early on. Oncology is an outpatient based practice if you haven't found out. They are also well regarded within academia should you decide. In most top academic programs around the country, you pick a disease group and stay within that disease group. You may spend all your fellowship training being exposed to one or two disease groups if you are not careful. This does not prepare you for private practice. You could finish the fellowship and not be able to practice clinical oncology ( e.g the big four - GU, Thoracic, Breast, GI.... the little four are melanoma/non-melanoma skin, lymphoma, myeloma, head/neck

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone looking for advice in regards to making my rank list. Interested in a career in malignant heme. Want a program with adequate clinical training, as I would like to double board, with opportunities to be involved in clinical research/clinical trials. This is what I currently have as my list. Geography is not a concern.
  1. WashU
  2. UConn
  3. Karmanos/Wayne State
  4. Henry Ford
  5. Univ Cincinnati
  6. SUNY Downstate
  7. Providence Hospital
  8. Stony Brook
  9. Baystate
  10. Wright State

Hey everyone looking for advice in regards to making my rank list. Interested in a career in malignant heme. Want a program with adequate clinical training, as I would like to double board, with opportunities to be involved in clinical research/clinical trials. This is what I currently have as my list. Geography is not a concern.
  1. WashU
  2. UConn
  3. Karmanos/Wayne State
  4. Henry Ford
  5. Univ Cincinnati
  6. SUNY Downstate
  7. Providence Hospital
  8. Stony Brook
  9. Baystate
  10. Wright State

You cannot go wrong with WashU for malignant hem. I'm not very familiar with Uconn but I'm not aware of malignant hem activity there. I would personally put it below the detroit programs. I would stay away from cincy. There's absolutely nothing going on there in malignant hem (only 2-3 dedicated hem faculty, virtually no allo txp, low volume leuks and lymphomas)

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. WashU
  2. UConn
  3. Karmanos/Wayne State
  4. Henry Ford
  5. Univ Cincinnati
  6. SUNY Downstate
  7. Providence Hospital
  8. Stony Brook
  9. Baystate
  10. Wright State

U Conn.

Not much mal heme there. 1-2 acute leuks every week. No Txp. They hired transplanter recently and will start in dec 16. So not sure, how good the mal heme would be there. They have basic science research labs with Dr Srivastava, which fellows if interested can work with.

Hello, everyone: I am looking for advice on my ROL as the followings. My interests are mal-heme and clinical trial. Plan to stay in academic field. Any input will be appreciated.
1. MSKCC
2. NYU
3. CCF
4. Montefiore
5. SUNY Downstate
6. Stony brook
7. Uni. of Arkansas

Hello, everyone: I am looking for advice on my ROL as the followings. My interests are mal-heme and clinical trial. Plan to stay in academic field. Any input will be appreciated.
1. MSKCC
2. NYU
3. CCF
4. Montefiore
5. SUNY Downstate
6. Stony brook
7. Uni. of Arkansas

If it my List I will Place CCF above NYU and that's it.

Thanks to all the members for all their support. Please help me rank my programs. I am interested in GI oncology and translational research. No geographical preference. These are my programs in no specific order:
- U Penn
- Yale
- Georgetown/Lombardi
- NYU
- Ohio State (they recently lost Dr Saab to Mayo Arizona)
- Case Western
- Karmanos (Wayne State)
-Tufts
- Henry Ford
- Allegheny

Thank you!!
@gutonc and @visari , can I please get your input on the ranking of my programs? Thanks.

@gutonc and @visari , can I please get your input on the ranking of my programs? Thanks.

don't really have much to add. decent list. I would personally put OSU above NYU. I'm not aware of big GI folks at NYU

Reactions: 1 user
don't really have much to add. decent list. I would personally put OSU above NYU. I'm not aware of big GI folks at NYU
Agreed. Bummer that Tony Saab left tOSU but it's not like the place will fall apart without him.

And it's been a few years, but NYU was massively disappointing when I interviewed there. I almost left the interview mid-day and didn't rank it.

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get some input on my rank list. Interested in gi oncology and academic career focused on clinical research.
No geographic preference.
(Having a hard time with my top 5-6)

Moffitt
Yale
Wash U
U Colorado
Georgetown/Lombardi
Case Western
Indiana U
U Wisconsin
USC
U Maryland

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get some input on my rank list. Interested in gi oncology and academic career focused on clinical research.

Moffitt
Yale
Wash U
U Colorado
Georgetown/Lombardi
Case Western
Indiana U
U Wisconsin
USC
U Maryland
Is this your list in order? No way that Moffitt should be on top.

Members don't see this ad :)
U Conn.
Not much mal heme there. 1-2 acute leuks every week.

1-2 new leuks a week is plenty! if you're the fellow on service that month and you wind up going to the ER at night 5-6 times you will be miserable

Hi everyone,

Moffitt
Yale
Wash U
U Colorado
Georgetown/Lombardi
Case Western
Indiana U
U Wisconsin
USC
U Maryland

I saw your list and I had to go back up a little to make sure I read it right "no geographic preference". If it was my list Moffit would be below Yale, WashU and Georgetown at least. But it's your list and you go with whatever feels right.

Why Every program is interested in your number of interviews ?:
So, I interviewed multiple places this year and was perplexed with this question. I noticed every single program has one of the interviewers specifically tasked for this question and that person would ask every candidate about the number of interviews the candidate has received this year. I initially ignored it as a person-specific issue. However, after witnessing the same routine on every single program at eight different places, I am pretty sure that every program has planted at least one interviewer with this task to figure out every candidate's total number of interviews. What is perplexing me the most is how this information is going to affect that program's decision making regarding their rank order lists ?

Please advise about the rationale behind this approach and how to address it strategically.
Thnx

Please advise about my ROL:
I am not sure about my clinical interests yet (malignant hem has been fading away, solid cancers have been gaining traction lately, not sure which one though). I want to be a good generalist, good for private practice or a hybrid academic setting (interested in better salary). I have no geographical preference. ROL is in descending order.

#1 Univ of Iowa
#2 Medical College of Wisconsin
#3 Univ of Nebraska
#4 Univ of Kentucky
#5 Univ of Cincinnati
#6 Medical College of Georgia
#7 Baylor (Houston)
#8 Medstar Washington Hospital Center

Hi everyone,

Moffitt
Yale
Wash U
U Colorado
Georgetown/Lombardi
Case Western
Indiana U
U Wisconsin
USC
U Maryland

I think Moffitt deserves its spot at the top. Georgetown way too high though

Hi everyone,
I was hoping you guys could weigh in on the order of my top options. I am interested in translational/clinical research with a focus on malignant heme.
Your input is much appreciated.

1. Michigan
2. Moffitt
3. UCLA
4. Utah

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and wanted to seek advice about my rank list - I am interested in lung cancer, I am an IMG with H1 visa; no regional preference at this point.

1. University of Pennsylvania
2. University of Colorado Denver
3. Yale University School of Medicine
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Albert Einstein College of Medicine - Montefiore Medical Center
6. Thomas Jefferson University
7. Medical College of Wisconsin
8. University of Illinois Chicago
9. Long Island Jewish Medical Center NY - Hofstra School of Medicine
10. University of Arizona College of Medicine
11. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
12. Henry Ford
13. Louisiana State University, Shreveport
14. William Beaumont Hospital, Michigan
15. Levine Cancer Institute, Carolinas Health Care System

Any input will be appreciated a lot

Hello everyone!
I would greatly appreciate any input regarding my ROL. I am an IMG on J1 visa. I am leaning towards solid tumors (Lung/melanoma) and will most probably do private practice on graduation.

1. Roswell Park
2. University of Maryland
3. Henry Ford
4. Methodist Houston
5. Cook County Chicago
6. UMKC
7. Roger Williams Medical Center
8. University of Mississippi
9. Marshall University, WV
10. New York Medical College
Thanks a ton!

Hi everyone,
I was hoping you guys could weigh in on the order of my top options. I am interested in translational/clinical research with a focus on malignant heme.

1. Michigan
2. Moffitt
3. UCLA
4. Utah

reasonable list

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and wanted to seek advice about my rank list - I am interested in lung cancer, I am an IMG with H1 visa; no regional preference at this point.

4. Cleveland Clinic
12. Henry Ford

your top 3 are a no brainer. Personally I would put yale and colorado above penn for Lung but there's nothing wrong with the way you have them.

Hello everyone!
I would greatly appreciate any input regarding my ROL. I am an IMG on J1 visa. I am leaning towards solid tumors (Lung/melanoma) and will most probably do private practice on graduation.

1. Roswell Park
2. University of Maryland
3. Henry Ford
4. Methodist Houston
5. Cook County Chicago
6. UMKC
7. Roger Williams Medical Center
8. University of Mississippi
9. Marshall University, WV
10. New York Medical College
Thanks a ton!

Roswell Park lost their phase I and lung guy to Mayo but I think they are still (academically speaking) the strongest on your list.

I'm interested primarily in heme malignancies and staying in academics. Here is my list so far in order.

1)cornell
2)columbia
3)yale
4)hopkins
5)moffitt
6)nyu
7)ucsd

Hopkins is lower just because i dont like the idea of having to single board by default. Would appreciate feedback, thanks.

I'm interested primarily in heme malignancies and staying in academics. Here is my list so far in order.

1)cornell
2)columbia
3)yale
4)hopkins
5)moffitt
6)nyu
7)ucsd

Hopkins is lower just because i dont like the idea of having to single board by default. Would appreciate feedback, thanks.

If you are 100% set on academics, there is absolutely no need to double-board. Unless you plan to spend more time doing research or getting grants, the extra year will not be helpful.

I like hopkins at the top of your list. Hopkins have a long history and they pioneered haploidentical transplants with post-Cy. Hopkins is also close by to NHLBI and they have some connections within that circle.

I think both Columbia and Cornell are equally strong in mal-heme and come in as close second.

Columbia have recruited heavily and have lots of good folks in AML/BMT (if i recall correctly, they got several folks from MSKCC several years ago). Although not a mal-heme practitioner, tito fojo / susan bates formerly of the NCI are both at Columbia now.

Van Bessien (BMT) should still be at cornell along with a gail roboz (aml). I also remember them having a growing MPD presence with Andrew Schafer having an interest. They also have a CLL/lymphoma presence in Furman et al

I like moffitt after columbia/cornell

I think tom kipps (lymphoma) is still at UCSD

NYU is probably the lowest on your list after Yale. Both are not well known for mal heme

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I would appreciate your thoughts on my list. Sorry if the order looks weird.
I have tried to factor in whether the program has a fellows' clinic and balance between clinical training and research opportunities.

I am interested in leukemia and academics

Case Western
UNC
University of Nebraska
UTSW
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin
Methodist
USC
Indiana University
Tufts
University of Maryland

Hey guys,

I would appreciate your thoughts on my list. Sorry if the order looks weird.
I have tried to factor in whether the program has a fellows' clinic and balance between clinical training and research opportunities.

I am interested in leukemia and academics

Case Western
UNC
University of Nebraska
UTSW
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin
Methodist
USC
Indiana University
Tufts
University of Maryland
Swap UMinn and Case, swap Wisco and Nebraska, and I like it.

But hell, it's your list. Do what you want. With the way it is now (and knowing nothing else about you), you'll match at Case or Nebraska...or drop to Tufts.

your top 3 are a no brainer. Personally I would put yale and colorado above penn for Lung but there's nothing wrong with the way you have them.
Thanks a lot

Do you have any input on the 4-10 part of my list - I am having a tough time deciding between Cleveland Clinic, Montefiore, Jefferson, Medical College of Wisconsin and UIC - they all seem quite similar to me based on interview experiences.

Gutonc, can you please give me some input on my list, especially the first 10 programs

Hi everyone,

4. Cleveland Clinic
12. Henry Ford

Gutonc, can you please give me some input on my list, especially the first 10 programs

Help with ranking:
Interested in academics, have a research background in tumor genomic profiling using NGS. Interested in solid tumors (no particular tumor type). The biggest issue for me is the order of my top 3 (keep changing my mind every day). Desire a program with both good clinical training and research opportunities (translational research/clinical). No geographic preference. IMG with visa.
Any attending/fellow/other members comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

NIH
U of Iowa
U of MN
U of AZ
Houston Methodist
Roswell Park
U of Arkansas (not interviewed yet)
U of Mississippi (not interviewed yet)

Gutonc, if you could please comment on my rank order list. Thanks.

Please help me with ranking too! Interested in BMT/ clinical research.

1. Fred Hutch
2/3. UCSF/ Stanford
4/5. OSU/ CCF
6. Cornell
7. U Chicago
8. NIH
9. MCW
10. UNC
11. OHSU
12. Columbia

As I sit here after my 12th interview, I find myself increasingly wondering if matching at ones #1 vs #7 choice will have any bearing whatsoever on long term career happiness. Personally, I find comparing locations easy... I prefer warm to cold, city to small town, more geared toward young professional than family. I just don't know if I should rank based on these characteristics, or perceived strength, particularly when it seems that all of my programs are top 50 university based with about one third placement into academics. How will going to "Top Program Other Than MSK, Anderson, Farber" change my life relative to "Decent University Based Program in City Where I Am Happy?" The benefit is nebulous and makes it difficult to give up an already happy and secure life.

As I sit here after my 12th interview, I find myself increasingly wondering if matching at ones #1 vs #7 choice will have any bearing whatsoever on long term career happiness. Personally, I find comparing locations easy... I prefer warm to cold, city to small town, more geared toward young professional than family. I just don't know if I should rank based on these characteristics, or perceived strength, particularly when it seems that all of my programs are top 50 university based with about one third placement into academics. How will going to "Top Program Other Than MSK, Anderson, Farber" change my life relative to "Decent University Based Program in City Where I Am Happy?" The benefit is nebulous and makes it difficult to give up an already happy and secure life.

Unless your career goal is academia with grant funding and protected research time, practically speaking, going to one of those Top X programs (including MSKCC,DFCI, MDACC) will have no noticeable impact on your future career options and happiness.

Please help me with ranking too! Interested in BMT/ clinical research.

1. Fred Hutch
2/3. UCSF/ Stanford
4/5. OSU/ CCF
6. Cornell
7. U Chicago
8. NIH
9. MCW
10. UNC
11. OHSU
12. Columbia

CCF should be further down

Just a general piece of advice for folks who are truly set on an academic career. the mentor is more important than the place. Just because world famous Dr. X works at this or that institution does not mean s***. Dr. X might be super busy with less than zero interest in mentoring you and you might go through 3 years of fellowship without him/her even remembering your name. The question you should ask is: has this person successfully mentored fellows before into becoming junior faculty with secured grants and a true academic career?

Reactions: 4 users
If I don't match NRMP will send me a list on unfilled programs and then what? Do I contact the programs or the programs contact me? Is it common to have lots of unfilled positions in Hem Onc?

Just a general piece of advice for folks who are truly set on an academic career. the mentor is more important than the place. Just because world famous Dr. X works at this or that institution does not mean s***. Dr. X might be super busy with less than zero interest in mentoring you and you might go through 3 years of fellowship without him/her even remembering your name. The question you should ask is: has this person successfully mentored fellows before into becoming junior faculty with secured grants and a true academic career?

Thanks Visari, ETA, GutOnc and everyone for your very candid and real responses. One struggle that I had during the interview trail (and maybe many others here can attest to this) is figuring out the answer to this exact question. Setting aside the challenges of knowing exactly what field of heme/onc you want to go into as a resident (I say thoracic now, and I'm 90% confident that is how it will go, but you never know... I said neuro-onc in med school), my larger question is how do you "know" whether a potential mentor has a good track record? Programs will give you aggregate data saying where their fellows graduate (academics, private practice, industry), but it is still hard to sort out whether a different program will have the mentor in your field that will get you the personalized experience you need with grant writing, publications, etc. Any metrics we should be using outside of he said/she said comments and vague impressions?

If I don't match NRMP will send me a list on unfilled programs and then what? Do I contact the programs or the programs contact me? Is it common to have lots of unfilled positions in Hem Onc?
Yes they will. You contact them. Not very...in that order. 7 unfilled programs last year, 9 the year before. Pretty similar #s to GI.

Thanks Visari, ETA, GutOnc and everyone for your very candid and real responses. One struggle that I had during the interview trail (and maybe many others here can attest to this) is figuring out the answer to this exact question. Setting aside the challenges of knowing exactly what field of heme/onc you want to go into as a resident (I say thoracic now, and I'm 90% confident that is how it will go, but you never know... I said neuro-onc in med school), my larger question is how do you "know" whether a potential mentor has a good track record? Programs will give you aggregate data saying where their fellows graduate (academics, private practice, industry), but it is still hard to sort out whether a different program will have the mentor in your field that will get you the personalized experience you need with grant writing, publications, etc. Any metrics we should be using outside of he said/she said comments and vague impressions?
Not a metric per se, but this is one of those questions for the fellows on interview day (which is probably too late for you now).

Identify a mentor or 3, try to meet with at least one of them on interview day. And then ask the fellows if people work with them/publish with them.

I hear you. It's not the easiest thing to figure out. As mentioned above, you have to ask the fellows on interview day and be very specific. it's the most important part of the interview (definitely more important than the useless hospital tour and "we are the best program ever" power point presentations).
It's ok if you don't know what part of hem or onc you will pursue. But you can get a feel of the mentorship culture in the program. Do they take it seriously or not? some so called top-tier programs don't really care and I didn't find it so hard to figure out on the interview trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.