Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UNC is probably the top
Case close second
Emory third
UTSW (they work hard)
Maryland
Florida = Dartmouth

Thanks, ETA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Would like input from attendings on my current rank list (in alphabetical order). please use reputation among academics (well rounded rather than lopsided heme vs onc).

Case Western Reserve
Dartmouth
Emory
Florida
UMaryland
UNC
UTSW

Thanks
UNC
UTSW
Throw darts at the rest

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Bummer that Tony Saab left tOSU but it's not like the place will fall apart without him.

And it's been a few years, but NYU was massively disappointing when I interviewed there. I almost left the interview mid-day and didn't rank it.

As a word of caution, tOSU is a sinking ship. Think about the Titanic after hitting an iceberg.

As a former recent fellow from OSU who is in academics, if your interested in GI onc specifically, there is no one, well, one person left. Don't believe the website.

Since T Saab left, 3 other GI med oncs have left to other academic institution. R Goldberg is retiring this December. They haven't been able to keep an internal fellow to keep a job for 4 years now. The GI med onc program is being run by a gyn/onc, breast oncologist and 3 community oncologists...

Thoracic oncology- D Carbone is still there, refuses to mentor fellows. You should ask how many fellows have been mentored by Carbone and if it resulted in any pubs

Breast- C Shapiro left to Mt. Sinai- still no leader. A prominent jr faculty from DFCI left to go to PP. Another to MDACC. Another recently left to PP. Another gone on medical leave.

They're still headless for 2+ years since M. Villalona left to be the scientific chief officer at Miami Cancer Institute.

No section chief for GI, breast, etc. M Gillison is supposedly going to MDACC.

In regards to the heme side, people are jumping ship as well. J Byrd is actively interviewing, P Porcu (head of the T cell lymphoma program) has left, G Marciucci (AML thought leader) has left and others are actively looking to leave.

While M Caliguiri is still the CEO, it isn't the same place as it has been in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a word of caution, tOSU is a sinking ship. Think about the Titanic after hitting an iceberg.

As a former recent fellow from OSU who is in academics, if your interested in GI onc specifically, there is no one, well, one person left. Don't believe the website.

Since T Saab left, 3 other GI med oncs have left to other academic institution. R Goldberg is retiring this December. They haven't been able to keep an internal fellow to keep a job for 4 years now. The GI med onc program is being run by a gyn/onc, breast oncologist and 3 community oncologists...

Thoracic oncology- D Carbone is still there, refuses to mentor fellows. You should ask how many fellows have been mentored by Carbone and if it resulted in any pubs

Breast- C Shapiro left to Mt. Sinai- still no leader. A prominent jr faculty from DFCI left to go to PP. Another to MDACC. Another recently left to PP. Another gone on medical leave.

They're still headless for 2+ years since M. Villalona left to be the scientific chief officer at Miami Cancer Institute.

In regards to the heme side, people are jumping ship as well. J Byrd is actively interviewing, P Porcu (head of the T cell lymphoma program) has left, G Marciucci (AML thought leader) has left and others are actively looking to leave.

While M Caliguiri is still the CEO, it isn't the same place as it has been in the past.

Thank you so much for your input! Yes, this is the vibe that I got too. Sad..

Thanks to all the members for all their support. Please help me rank my programs. I am interested in GI oncology and translational research. No geographical preference. These are my programs in no specific order:
- U Penn
- Yale
- Georgetown/Lombardi
- NYU
- Ohio State (they recently lost Dr Saab to Mayo Arizona)
- Case Western
- Karmanos (Wayne State)
-Tufts
- Henry Ford
- Allegheny

Thank you!!

@gutonc, @visari, @ETA , where would you fit Cleveland Clinic in my list? Thanks.

I'm having a lot of trouble ranking these 3. I keep changing the order everyday.
I want to do malignant heme. Not interested in transplant.
Would appreciate suggestions.

UNC
Case Western
Minnesota

Is it good or bad to tell your top choice that you are ranking them as #1?

Members don't see this ad :)

Just want to say that I've had this confirmed by another user as well as a friend who is an attending there (and another one trying to make an exit although not listed above).

So, I take back my previous comments. And add that, that's just a bummer.

Reactions: 1 users
@gutonc, @visari, @ETA , where would you fit Cleveland Clinic in my list? Thanks.

Depends on what your interests are. CCF are active in Mal-heme, GU.
It is probably ahead of NYU and same level as Georgetown, Case, Wayne State
CCF is a decent program and like most places, i hear there are politics (but this shouldn't concern you as a fellow)

Must be bad leadership and politics that pushed everyone out. That's sad.
For applicants looking for academics, I would definitely stay away from a place like this. Don't listen to people telling you it won't affect your fellowship experience.

@gutonc @visari and any others. I want to stay in academics/solid onc/clinical trials/maybe translational research.

How would you rank (a) Cornell, (b) Columbia, (c) Mount Sinai, (d) NYU?

@gutonc @visari and any others. I want to stay in academics/solid onc/clinical trials/maybe translational research.

Personally?
MSSM/Columbia (you could flip a coin here, I'd go with MSSM personally)
Cornell
NYU

Must be bad leadership and politics that pushed everyone out. That's sad.
For applicants looking for academics, I would definitely stay away from a place like this. Don't listen to people telling you it won't affect your fellowship experience.
My program went through similar stuff while I was a fellow and I agree with this. It has finally pulled out of it's tailspin now with strong leadership of the division (lacking for >5 years including 3 years without a chief and 2 years of a chief who spent more time giving talks for industry than he did on campus)...and a nice little billion dollar fundraising campaign for the Cancer Institute as a whole that has mostly gone to facilities and recruiting top-level faculty.

You'll certainly survive a situation like this, but you're unlikely to thrive.

Not really all that familiar with NYC programs but NYU should probably be at the bottom of that list based on academic reputation.

My program went through similar stuff while I was a fellow and I agree with this. It has finally pulled out of it's tailspin now with strong leadership of the division (lacking for >5 years including 3 years without a chief and 2 years of a chief who spent more time giving talks for industry than he did on campus)...and a nice little billion dollar fundraising campaign for the Cancer Institute as a whole that has mostly gone to facilities and recruiting top-level faculty.

You'll certainly survive a situation like this, but you're unlikely to thrive.

The hem/onc program where I did my IM residency was going through difficult times with bad leadership and people leaving right and left. All faculty before and during the fellowship interview told me not worry about it because it had nothing to do with fellows experience. They said it was a matter of months before things settled and a new "world class" leadership came. Fellows (who were my friends) at the time disagreed and told me to go find a different place which I did.

Now three years later, that place is still a mess, more people left, no division chair still and there are no signs of recovery.

Just wanted to provide my two cents on Cleveland Clinic

Cleveland Clinic
This is probably the most underrated program that I have seen on this thread. If you look back over the past 20 years, no program has made more strides in their oncology division to be a top-tier institution. They have a new program director who did all of her training at Hopkins and is now thoroughly invested in the training program. Fellows are very happy and obtain excellent jobs. Cleveland is a very underrated city. If interested in staying in the midwest/ east cost, this is a great place to consider. Many of my colleagues both in academics and industry are from CCF.

I don't think many applicants truly understand the real meaning and the forces at play that is required of an academic position. The truth of the matter is that only a small proportion of fellowship graduates will transition to an academic position (probably around 50/year in the entire country). Over the next 5 years as a junior faculty, many will move on to pursue private practice for a variety of reasons to include loss of protected time, salary differential and other reasons for dissatisfaction. There is a continuous attrition - there is no question. Non-academic factors for going into an academic position include a more flexible schedule when you are off service - I know some female attendings who find the academic position to be more flexible in the setting of a young family, albeit a lower salary. Another reason for going into academia is the opportunity to form a practice in your favorite 1-2 diseases (unlike most private practice where you see everything). There are also a group of non-academically productive attendings who have gotten used to being trained in an academic setting that they cannot envision a career outside of academia as they have previously been "sheltered" in academia and is unable to make the transition to the real world.

There are many hybrid-clinical academic positions out there which i don't consider as true academic positions. They are either 100% clinical faculty in the main hospital or based in the extended network of service in neighboring townships. This is essentially private pratice work. Any position that enforces more than 2 days of clinic a week e.g 3-4 is not truly considered as an academic position - you're just being abused in return for the low academic reimbursement.

Of course, reimbursement isn't everything but amongst other factors (e.g to limit your scope of pratice), this would be one of the biggest difference between academic and private practice.

Every candidate should keep their options open and it is truly too early to be absolutely sure given the limited exposure to career planning as a resident/medical student. I remember a division chief who laughed at me for being too specific for what i wanted to do without having been exposed to the breath of oncology - he was so true.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to provide my two cents on Cleveland Clinic

Cleveland is a very underrated city.

I agree. Cleveland is a very affordable place with several high quality areas such as Lakewood and Cleveland Heights. The traffic is very good, you can get anywhere in 20 minutes and there are plenty of things to do. The zoo, sports arenas and the arts museum are great. In terms of hem/onc I think Cleveland Clinic dominates the area, but I personally know the faculty of Case and since they hired a new bone marrow transplant director from MD Anderson the place has grown a lot. They are now performing several transplants, clinical trials and even created a bone marrow transplantation fellowship.

Hi Guys,

I interviewed in a program that I though was really good. The day was ok and everything was organized. I was interviewed by 3 people (head of hematology, director of clinical trials and one melanoma guy) and during the day we had lectures and the associate PD gave us a overview of the program. My problem with this program is that the Program Director was not there. According to the aPD the PD was traveling. I know this program has 3 iv dates to interview 45 candidates and the PD could not make it? As far as I know this is one of the most important dates in the year for a PD, isn't it?
My problem is that, although I haven't met the PD I kind of like the program. Should I let this affect my ROL? And also, how the program will make their ROL if the PD wasn't there. This sounds so ridiculous to me.

Hi Guys,

I interviewed in a program that I though was really good. The day was ok and everything was organized. I was interviewed by 3 people (head of hematology, director of clinical trials and one melanoma guy) and during the day we had lectures and the associate PD gave us a overview of the program. My problem with this program is that the Program Director was not there. According to the aPD the PD was traveling. I know this program has 3 iv dates to interview 45 candidates and the PD could not make it? As far as I know this is one of the most important dates in the year for a PD, isn't it?
My problem is that, although I haven't met the PD I kind of like the program. Should I let this affect my ROL? And also, how the program will make their ROL if the PD wasn't there. This sounds so ridiculous to me.

Unlike IM PDs, fellowship PDs don't get tons of protected administrative time to take care of fellowship issues. Yes it is a little unusual for a PD not be there for interviews but NO I wouldn't factor this into my rank list if I were you.

There are also a group of non-academically productive attendings who have gotten used to being trained in an academic setting that they cannot envision a career outside of academia as they have previously been "sheltered" in academia and is unable to make the transition to the real world.

Agree with this. Some dig too deep in their little niche and they go too far and they just can't go back. I remember one attending I rounded with on the oncology consult service who was a GI onc person. I was shocked many times how little she knew about any other malignancy outside her scope. I found myself explaining the basics to her to refresh her memory. This type of person won't survive in the private practice world.

There are many hybrid-clinical academic positions out there which i don't consider as true academic positions. They are either 100% clinical faculty in the main hospital or based in the extended network of service in neighboring townships. This is essentially private pratice work. Any position that enforces more than 2 days of clinic a week e.g 3-4 is not truly considered as an academic position - you're just being abused in return for the low academic reimbursement.
I have one of these academ-ish positions. All of my reimbursement is clinically based. I work 3 days a week. The "clinical educator" docs at the mothership who don't have any sort of grant or other buy-down, work 2.5 clinic days and spend 2-4 weeks on the inpatient/consult service as well. I make 40% more than they do (based on seniority). If I worked 4 days a week (FT in my position), I'd make ~65% more. Still less than a true PP, but still a lot less work than they have.

Of course, reimbursement isn't everything but amongst other factors (e.g to limit your scope of pratice), this would be one of the biggest difference between academic and private practice.
Definitely agree with this.

Every candidate should keep their options open and it is truly too early to be absolutely sure given the limited exposure to career planning as a resident/medical student. I remember a division chief who laughed at me for being too specific for what i wanted to do without having been exposed to the breath of oncology - he was so true.
I would have argued with this statement up until about 4 years ago, when I moved into my current position. And it's what I impart to the residents and fellows I work with now.

Hey GutOnc (or anyone else with an opinion),

I'm trying to rank my fellowship list generally in order of most benign (personalities, institution, positive environment) to least benign; slightly prefer an academic program over a not-academic program but the odds aren't super good that I will remain in academia so I'm not sure how much it *really* matters. Interested in oncology and slightly prefer New England.**

How would you rank these programs with those criteria in mind?

Reasonably Positive Impression
Roger Williams
UF
Tufts
OHSU* Loved Portland, am battling mixed feelings about being this close to certain family members and this far away from other family members.
UConn
BU

Not Super Positive Impression
UMass
Baystate
UFJax

**Not all programs are listed

Hey GutOnc (or anyone else with an opinion),

I'm trying to rank my fellowship list generally in order of most benign (personalities, institution, positive environment) to least benign; slightly prefer an academic program over a not-academic program but the odds aren't super good that I will remain in academia so I'm not sure how much it *really* matters. Interested in oncology and slightly prefer New England.**

How would you rank these programs with those criteria in mind?

Reasonably Positive Impression
Roger Williams
UF
Tufts
OHSU* Loved Portland, am battling mixed feelings about being this close to certain family members and this far away from other family members.
UConn
BU

Not Super Positive Impression
UMass
Baystate
UFJax

**Not all programs are listed

OHSU> UF~BU~ Tufts > UConn~ Roger Williams in my opinion

Hey Guys,
Please help me rank following programs. Interested in solids, no geographical preference, not sure about academics vs PP.

University of Florida
University of Miami
RPCI
University of Cincinnati

Thanks

Another post looking for some ROL guidance. Currently interested in mal heme, specifically NHL (but of course open-minded). Zero transplant experience during residency, so cannot adequately gauge whether this peripheral interest is genuine. From the northeast originally and sort of trying to stay but of course will go wherever the best training is.

1. Hopkins - Def my #1.
2. Yale - Had a great feeling leaving this interview, though transplant certainly weak. The fact that I would remain in New England bumps it above Cornell and the others in the group, but probably need more guidance on this specific spot in my ROL
3. Cornell - Mandatory 2nd year basic research is a little bit of a turn off, but seems strong. Location is not the best given I am married and maybe family soon?
4. Fred Hutch - My only west coast program and without a doubt strong in all facets mal heme and transplant. The move is the only downside for me
5. Vanderbilt - Strong in all areas. Enthusiastic PD and faculty. Beautiful area of the country and would be willing to move for Vandy. Put this one above UNC but it was a little tough.

Middle of the boat for me:
6. UNC - Very similar impression compared to Vandy above. Fellows seem to stay local afterward, but probably just a product of the fellows they attract
7. Fox Chase - Not a fan of the 50% Temple hospital thing/location but they do have heme/mal heme leaders and do much more research than I had anticipated. Love Philly otherwise
8. Mt. Sinai - Tough time deciding whether Sinai should be higher, I left the interview blown away given my expectations walking in. Much stronger in research (and transplant) than I had expected
9. UPMC - Stock on the rise with a relatively new PD, def strong in solids (mal heme still weak, but seems to be beefing up). Location is "ok" for me. Fellows seem to go on to do great things

Bottom three and really do not even want to rank, but neurosis kicks in:
10. Rutgers - completely underwhelming. Seemed unorganized, the coordinator was unpleasant as well.
11. Georgetown - Weak program, but seems to be growing. The PD rubbed me the wrong way, but maybe was just a super dry sense of humor
12. Brown - No transplant. excellent clinical training, but def not built to poise fellows for an academic career

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
How many programs should I rank before I feel comfortable? I've been told if you rank ~10 programs, you should be ok. Is there a statistic on programs ranked vs. chance of matching?

Another post looking for some ROL guidance. Currently interested in mal heme, specifically NHL (but of course open-minded). Zero transplant experience during residency, so cannot adequately gauge whether this peripheral interest is genuine. From the northeast originally and sort of trying to stay but of course will go wherever the best training is.

1. Hopkins - Def my #1.
2. Yale - Had a great feeling leaving this interview, though transplant certainly weak. The fact that I would remain in New England bumps it above Cornell and the others in the group, but probably need more guidance on this specific spot in my ROL
3. Cornell - Mandatory 2nd year basic research is a little bit of a turn off, but seems strong. Location is not the best given I am married and maybe family soon?
4. Fred Hutch - My only west coast program and without a doubt strong in all facets mal heme and transplant. The move is the only downside for me
5. Vanderbilt - Strong in all areas. Enthusiastic PD and faculty. Beautiful area of the country and would be willing to move for Vandy. Put this one above UNC but it was a little tough.

6. UNC - Very similar impression compared to Vandy above. Fellows seem to stay local afterward, but probably just a product of the fellows they attract
7. Fox Chase - Not a fan of the 50% Temple hospital thing/location but they do have heme/mal heme leaders and do much more research than I had anticipated. Love Philly otherwise
8. Mt. Sinai - Tough time deciding whether Sinai should be higher, I left the interview blown away given my expectations walking in. Much stronger in research (and transplant) than I had expected
9. UPMC - Stock on the rise with a relatively new PD, def strong in solids (mal heme still weak, but seems to be beefing up). Location is "ok" for me. Fellows seem to go on to do great things

10. Rutgers - completely underwhelming. Seemed unorganized, the coordinator was unpleasant as well.
11. Georgetown - Weak program, but seems to be growing. The PD rubbed me the wrong way, but maybe was just a super dry sense of humor
12. Brown - No transplant. excellent clinical training, but def not built to poise fellows for an academic career

Taking all of your preferences into account:
Hopkins
Hutch
FCCC(CCCCCC...seriously, how many C's do they need?)
Cornell/Vandy
UNC/MSSM/UPMC
Whatever man, this will not be an issue for you.

How many programs should I rank before I feel comfortable? I've been told if you rank ~10 programs, you should be ok. Is there a statistic on programs ranked vs. chance of matching?
Rank them all. There are no good stats on this.

PS...get used to this level of uncertainty.

Tomorrow I'm seeing a recurrent, metastatic esthesioneuroblastoma in a 71yo woman. I'm specifically being asked to determine the role of the addition of chemotherapy to radiation following an R2 resection.

Last edited:

1. Hopkins - Def my #1.

There are a lot of good programs on the list! I think it looks pretty good as is if that's how you liked them. If you were for sure into malignant heme, would consider placing Fred Hutch higher though obviously you have your geographical reasons. One nice thing about their fellowship was that they took away the stress of dual boarding or not because you were guaranteed two years of research either way.

When I made my list last year, my advisors told me to just rank all the places I could see myself going but if I had doubts about a certain place to just leave them off.

Dear all, as everybody else I am having difficulties with my ranking list, if I can get please help or input from gutonc, visari, eta or anybody who can give insight, i am interested in lung and melanoma academics:
BIDMC
OSU
TUFTS
MUSC
Univ of Virginia
Indiana university
UC Irvine
Jefferson
UAB
UF
U of Miami
Karmanos thank you

Hi everyone! New to the forum here. Want to know your opinion on my list. Want to go into academic career. Limited geographically by going to places where my IMG wife can match as a resident in any program close by. Interested in benign hematology but want a well rounded exposure to a full breadth of hem/onc.

Fox chase
Nih
Umd
Case
Georgetown
Uva
Vcu
USC
Iowa
Umiami
Uflorida
Monte
Musc
Cincinnati
Baylor
Stony Brook
Rochester
Ukentucky
Vermont
Washington hospital center
Ochsner

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! New to the forum here. Want to know your opinion on my list. Want to go into academic career. Limited geographically by going to places where my img wife can match as a resident in any program close by.

Fox chase
Nih
Umd
Case
Georgetown
Uva
Vcu
USC
Iowa
Umiami
Uflorida
Monte
Musc
Cincinnati
Baylor
Stony Brook
Rochester
Ukentucky
Vermont
Ochsner

Nothing really wrong with that list. But it's hard to give much advice when you don't tell us what you're looking for in a program, other than "a place my wife can match".

Unless you really want to single-board and have a largely research-based training experience, NIH should be lower on your list. I'd move Iowa and USC up a bit.

Hi everyone! New to the forum here. Want to know your opinion on my list. Want to go into academic career. Limited geographically by going to places where my IMG wife can match as a resident in any program close by. Interested in benign hematology but want a well rounded exposure to a full breadth of hem/onc.

IMG here. Your wife will be able to match in most areas of your list. But if I had to consider it as a fact, I would probably pick Monte because NYC has tons of IMG friendly programs.

Nothing really wrong with that list. But it's hard to give much advice when you don't tell us what you're looking for in a program, other than "a place my wife can match".

Unless you really want to single-board and have a largely research-based training experience, NIH should be lower on your list. I'd move Iowa and USC up a bit.

Thank you for your input. Most of my choices were based on where I can get a good 18 months of clinical research and also no requirement for lab research. Fellow dedicated clinics were next on my list. I am interested in hemoglobinopathies and coagulation but would like to have a broad outpatient hem and onc experience. Have always been confused about NIH on my list and good to hear some feedback about that. Hope that clears up the question a bit.

IMG here. Your wife will be able to match in most areas of your list. But if I had to consider it as a fact, I would probably pick Monte because NYC has tons of IMG friendly programs.
Thank you droption. I liked the program as well.

Hey Guys,
Please help me rank following programs. Interested in solids, no geographical preference, not sure about academics vs PP.

University of Florida
University of Miami
RPCI
University of Cincinnati

Thanks

Fox chase
Nih
Umd
Case
Georgetown
Uva
Vcu
USC
Iowa
Umiami
Uflorida
Monte
Musc
Cincinnati
Baylor
Stony Brook
Rochester
Ukentucky
Vermont
Ochsner

That's plenty of programs to interview with !

Thank you for your input. Most of my choices were based on where I can get a good 18 months of clinical research and also no requirement for lab research. Fellow dedicated clinics were next on my list. I am interested in hemoglobinopathies and coagulation but would like to have a broad outpatient hem and onc experience. Have always been confused about NIH on my list and good to hear some feedback about that. Hope that clears up the question a bit.
Did you apply to the NHLBI program or the NCI program? They have 2, relatively independent programs at NIH.

As to the rest of your question, I turf all benign heme to one of my partners so can't really comment on the quality of benign heme training.

Did you apply to the NHLBI program or the NCI program? They have 2, relatively independent programs at NIH.

As to the rest of your question, I turf all benign heme to one of my partners so can't really comment on the quality of benign heme training.

They combined both the programs this year. You can go into the fellowship and then choose if you want to double board or single. Very flexible that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.