Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you tier these, interested in cards? Current ROL though 1-4 flip everyday.

UCLA
UCSD
Northwestern
BIDMC
Case Western
OHSU
Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, looking for some thoughts on BWH vs Duke vs Stanford. Interested in critical care or heme/onc, academic medicine.

Thank you!

3 fantastic programs, you will be extremely well trained and not he limited in any way coming out of any of them. 3 really, really different locations. If
you have a location preference (now or for the long term) I would go with that. Good luck!

How would you tier these, interested in cards? Current ROL though 1-4 flip everyday.

UCLA
UCSD
Northwestern
BIDMC
Case Western
OHSU
Colorado

Totally reasonable, though I would put Col ahead of Case & OHSU. I would probably put Northwestern ahead of UCSD but that's personal preference and the way you have it is fine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

DO student hoping to go into heme/onc fellowship. Mostly struggling with 2-5 on my current rank list below and would appreciate any help!

1. MCW
2. CCF
3. Creighton
4. UPMC Mercy
5. Tennessee-Knoxville
6. Hennepin County Medical Center
7. UConn
8. Abbott Northwestern
9. Louisville
10. Aurora St. Lukes (milwaukee)
11. Legacy Emmanuel (portland)
12. Gundersen Lutheran

The place that seems to have me the most stuck is CCF vs. Creighton, as I liked both on interview day. I probably felt more of a 'fit' at Creighton, but also am wondering if I would regret ranking it higher than CCF and missing the opportunity to train there. I know both have been mentioned on this forum several times, especially CCF being a better place as a fellow or attending, which adds to some of the internal conflict I am having.

I also felt a little weird putting UConn and Louisville as far down as they are. They are good programs, but there was just something about each that really didn't click in such a way that I would be excited to match there compared to other places on my list. Thanks again for any advice!

Regarding your no.2/no.3 go to the place you think is the best fit for you (where you'd be happiest). Only you can answer that question. At both programs, you will receive great training and can pursue a hem/onc fellowship. Resident happiness/satisfaction should be the deciding factor here. Lastly, I think you have UPMC Mercy way to high. I have a friend in the program who is not too fond of it. It probably should be 9th on your list. UConn is a very good program btw.

Can you help me break a few ties???

Mayo Clinic (Rochester) = Baylor COM Houston = Case Western Reserve
Thomas Jefferson = Montefiore/Einstein
Indiana U = Ohio State = Colorado

Edit: reputation, research, clinical exposure, and fellowship opportunities priority > location

Edit: reputation, research, clinical exposure, and fellowship opportunities priority > location

Interviewed at 6 of these this cycle. If you can stand living in Roch and with no preference to location here's how I'd rank them...

Mayo
BCM
Colorado
Case/tOSU
Monte/TJ/Indy

I'm having trouble with the ordered ranking for U of Minnesota, Cleveland Clinic and Loyola (Chicago).
Quality of training > the reputation & fellowship opportunities > location for me.
Each of the three has serious pros and cons, so I'm interested in what other people think.

I would go Minnesota > Cleveland > Loyola.

I'm having trouble with the ordered ranking for U of Minnesota, Cleveland Clinic and Loyola (Chicago).
Quality of training > the reputation & fellowship opportunities > location for me.
Each of the three has serious pros and cons, so I'm interested in what other people think.
minn>> ccf = loyola (location)

you seem to love your orgo...who on earth remembers the name of the guy who came up with Aldols condensation?

Last edited:
This is my current top-6 order. My goal is to eventually do Pulm/ICU. Will any of these places make that a (more) difficult goal to obtain?

1. Univ Kentucky
  2. Univ Nebraska
  3. Univ of Arizona-Phoenix (Banner University Phoenix)
  4. Univ Oklahoma
  5. Univ of Missouri-Columbia
  6. Univ of Mississippi

Hello, looking for some thoughts on BWH vs Duke vs Stanford. Interested in critical care or heme/onc, academic medicine.

Thank you!

I would do:

1. BWH
2. Stanford
3. Duke

Brigham IMO is very slightly more prestigious than the other two and I heard people really enjoy their time at the Brigham. Stanford vs Duke is a close call. Location wise Stanford wins in my opinion but Duke has slightly better general medicine clinical training. Literally cannot go wrong with any of these programs and people have wonderful things to say about all of them. It will only come down to your preference.

Best of luck

UCLA
UCSD
Northwestern
BIDMC
Case Western
OHSU
Colorado

I would do:

1. Northwestern
2. UCLA
3. Beth Israel
4. Colorado
5. OHSU
6. UCSD
7. Case Western

A lot of this is based on location. I think the top 3 are somewhat interchangeable and within the same tier. NW maybe slightly more prestigious but not by much. I also think all three locations are a positive, so I would pick based on personal factors such as gut feel during the interview, proximity to family, who had the cooler residents, etc

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is a tough one. Mayo is the superior program but due to location I would rank Baylor above it. Would also bump Colorado up.

I know there's not a lot of love for Cleveland Clinic on here but could you guys help me break a tie between SUNY Buffalo and CCF?

Being at a supportive program is important to me. I'm not sure if one of these programs has a leg up on the other in that regard? I'm tempted to rank Buffalo higher because I just liked my interview day there more. But CCF seems to have the better match list which is maybe a metric of their overall strength?

Both kinda seemed like they worked residents to the bone but please correct me if I'm wrong about that. Was planning to rank both of these above Cook because of the supportiveness factor.

Last edited:

UCLA
UCSD
Northwestern
BIDMC
Case Western
OHSU
Colorado

UCLA, NW and BIDMC are more or less the same tier. If you're thinking of fellowship in California, I'd leave as is, if you're looking to go anywhere I'd favor NW and BIDMC.

I know there's not a lot of love for Cleveland Clinic on here but could you guys help me break a tie between SUNY Buffalo and CCF?

Being at a supportive program is important to me. I'm not sure if one of these programs has a leg up on the other in that regard? I'm tempted to rank Buffalo higher because I just liked my interview day there more. But CCF seems to have the better match list which is maybe a metric of their overall strength?

Both kinda seemed like they worked residents to the bone but please correct me if I'm wrong about that. Was planning to rank both of these above Cook because of the supportiveness factor.

Both these programs are considered superior than Cook... Ub vs ccf go by location...Only input I have is that ub has a NCI designated cancer center (Roswell park).. while ccf is considered great for cards... For primary care I d rank ub>ccf... For cards ccf> ub .. Cook county provides exemplary clinical training and also match well...But not in the same tier as ccf of ub ..They have a combined primary care track with rush which is quite awesome...U can get that if PC is what interests u.

Can anyone compare NSLIJ vs Rutgers NJMS vs RWJ if you were interested in GI or Pulm/CC? I know in the past SDN has looked favorably towards RWJ and more down on NJMS, but I wasn't sure if any of these opinions have changed since the Rutgers merger and the acquisition of new faculty by NSLIJ.

Can anyone compare NSLIJ vs Rutgers NJMS vs RWJ if you were interested in GI or Pulm/CC? I know in the past SDN has looked favorably towards RWJ and more down on NJMS, but I wasn't sure if any of these opinions have changed since the Rutgers merger and the acquisition of new faculty by NSLIJ.
I interviewd at 2 of the 3.. All 3 are even with fellowship match. In terms of prestige it is RWJ = NS-LIJ (Maybe RWJ tad higher) >> NJMS. However you can't go wrong with any of the 3.

For something competitive like GI I would go with 1.RWJ 2.NSLIJ 3.NJMS.

trying to decide between OHSU, USC, Baylor, and Utah. Ideally would like to keep my options open for fellowship, but still undecided as to what I will pursue post-residency. Spanish-speaking population is a huge plus. As is being on the west coast.

Current ranking below. Am I off the mark ranking USC above some arguably stronger programs?

USC
OHSU (portland is more comfortable than LA but not much diversity)
Baylor (nice program but texas and no mountains)
Utah

the rest
UVa
Wisco
Tulane
Harbor-UCLA (was not very impressed on interview day)

btw happy valentines day and thanks for the advice

Both these programs are considered superior than Cook... Ub vs ccf go by location...Only input I have is that ub has a NCI designated cancer center (Roswell park).. while ccf is considered great for cards... For primary care I d rank ub>ccf...

Thanks man. Anyone know about the supportiveness of these 2 programs? Buff also has like half FMGs. Not sure about CCF because they don't publish their current resident list. Anyone know if CCF has about the same number of FMGs too?

Thanks man. Anyone know about the supportiveness of these 2 programs? Buff also has like half FMGs. Not sure about CCF because they don't publish their current resident list. Anyone know if CCF has about the same number of FMGs too?

Ccf is like 70% IMG.. pgy1 class has 6-7 categorical amgs and 6-7 DOS out of 54. You don't need to worry about support there. IMGs won't be discriminated against ..Far from it in fact .They are the majority..

Would really appreciate some help ranking, please. Midwest student interested in fellowship in heme/onc and would like to pursue global health opportunities.

George Washington University
Iowa
VCU
MUSC
University of Kansas
Hennepin
LSU-New Orleans
Nebraska
New Mexico
Beth Israel - Mount Sinai NYC

Last edited:
This is my current top 10. Hoping to do academic cards. Reasonable? Having trouble with 4 and 5 mostly.
1 UC San Francisco
2 Stanford
3 U Washington
4 Yale-New Haven
5 Vanderbilt
6 UC San Diego
7 U Colorado
8 WashU
9 UNC
10 OHSU

I'd rank vandy over Yale, esp for cards.

Ive read SDN on/off for a while and really I just enjoyed reading what everyone had to say. But I actually created an account specifically to get some opinions on this question.

I'm an IMG and I want to go GI, as such my rank list is as follows:
UMass
Case Western (MetroHealth)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Drexel

My question then becomes, if I chose to rank University of Kentucky #1 for my personal life and all that sunshine and f'in rainbows, how big of a hit am I taking on perhaps some better programs to help me get into GI come fellowship?

None of those programs on that list are going to be significantly above UK in terms of ranking.

I think you have over ranked metro (which although is part of case, is not the real case IM program)

Assuming U.K. Is #1, how I'd rank it:
Kentucky
Wisconsin
UMass
Drexel

Thank you!
The Brigham is not exactly known for producing clinically strong docs like you'd expect for critical care. However for academic medicine they are strong. Depends on what you are actually going to do. Personally I think duke is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of clinical training and offers good mentorship for academics. So...

Duke
Stanford
BWH

Can someone please help me with my ROL. I am having a hard time.
I am an Img with most of the interviews in mid to low tier community programs. Not quite particular about fellowships. Just want to train from a decent program.
1) Case western Metrohealth
2) Fairview Hospital, Cleveland
3) Aventura Hospital, Miami
4) Woodhull, Brooklyn
5) Plaza medical center, Fort Worth - DO program, received ACGME accreditation this year and started taking MDs for the first time
6) Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, Brooklyn - lots of rumors on shutting down
7) Hurley Medical Center, Flint
8) McLaren, Flint
9) White River Hospital, Arkansas - Brand new program

I would rank metro above Fairview. I know nothing about the other programs.

Reactions: 1 user
None of those programs on that list are going to be significantly above UK in terms of ranking.

I think you have over ranked metro (which although is part of case, is not the real case IM program)

Assuming U.K. Is #1, how I'd rank it:
Kentucky
Wisconsin
UMass
Drexel

While metro may not be as prestigious as uh it's match rates are quite awesome... I d put it above Drexel for sure..

UCLA, NW and BIDMC are more or less the same tier. If you're thinking of fellowship in California, I'd leave as is, if you're looking to go anywhere I'd favor NW and BIDMC.
Agree

I'd rank vandy over Yale, esp for cards.
Disagree with this

3 fantastic programs, you will be extremely well trained and not he limited in any way coming out of any of them. 3 really, really different locations. If
you have a location preference (now or for the long term) I would go with that. Good luck!
Agree

While one may decide to rank Monte due to concerns about resident life or location concerns from a purely academic/training standpoint it should be in the top two in this list.
Agree

Please help me rank these IM programs - I know it's pretty much none high tier but I still want to pursue cardiology (ultimate goal is interventional cardiology). Which one of these will help me more? I don't care about location, pay, benefits, etc. I am green card holder, Caribbean Grad.

1. UPMC mercy, PA
2. Danbury Hosptial (One of 7 Yale consortiums), CT - not sure how close to Yale I could get.
3. Naples community hospital, FL - affiliate of Mayo Clinic
4. Mercy Catholic Medical Ctr, PA
5. Coney Island hospital, ny
6. NYU Lutheran IM categorical - now is NYU IM Brooklyn campus I believe. Will be switching to primary care only next yr.
7. Rochester regional health, Unity hospital, NY (Primary??)
8. RFUMS/ Chicago Medical School at McHenry (currently yr 2 I believe)
9. U Texas Rio Grande Valley, Harlingen, tx

Sincere help appreciated!!! I really need a lot of input from anyone who knows about these programs. Thanks so much.

Would love to hear your input. Will not be going into cards or GI. Possibly a less competitive fellowship such as rheum, may do pulm/cc or hospitalist/PCP. Current ROL:

1. Houston Methodist
2. University of Louisville
3. Medical College of GA
4. UTMB
5. Legacy Emmanuel
6. Albert Einstein PA
7. UF Jacksonville

TY :)
I would rank:
1-Houston Methodist (Methodist and Louisville are both great programs, but I prefer Methodist)
2-University of Louisville
3-Medical College of GA
4-Legacy Emmanuel
5 or 6-Albert Einstein PA
5 or 6-UF Jacksonville
7-UTMB (not bad program, but I think small Galveston "Island" is an option for a one day trip, not
living for years, it would be "depressive", only my opinion)

Can someone please help me with my ROL. I am having a hard time.
I am an Img with most of the interviews in mid to low tier community programs. Not quite particular about fellowships. Just want to train from a decent program.
1) Case western Metrohealth
2) Fairview Hospital, Cleveland
3) Aventura Hospital, Miami
4) Woodhull, Brooklyn
5) Plaza medical center, Fort Worth - DO program, received ACGME accreditation this year and started taking MDs for the first time
6) Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, Brooklyn - lots of rumors on shutting down
7) Hurley Medical Center, Flint
8) McLaren, Flint
9) White River Hospital, Arkansas - Brand new program
I would rank:
1- Case western Metrohealth
2- Fairview Hospital, Cleveland
3- Aventura Hospital, Miami
4- Woodhull, Brooklyn
5 or 6- Plaza medical center, Fort Worth - DO program, received ACGME accreditation this year and started taking MDs for the first time
5 or 6- White River Hospital, Arkansas - Brand new program
7- Hurley Medical Center, Flint
8- McLaren, Flint
9- Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, Brooklyn - lots of rumors on shutting down

Okay, seeking guidance on a couple of programs. Interested in academic hem/onc but I also like medical education and want a strong/diverse clinical training. No geographical preference but cities are strongly preferred. very conflicted on ucla vs cornell

UTSW--loved this program and the clinical training. +/- on hem/onc here and its fellowship match, but I think it would be fine
UCLA--really liked the PD, the training system, etc. UCLA's match is very UCLA heavy, but it seems like it would have a good hem/onc fellowship. but i feel like it is considered less prestigious than say cornell
Cornell--I feel like this is considered more prestigious, but felt like the clinical training wasn't so diverse (one hospital) and didn't get as good of a vibe with the administration, but at the same time, it's got the MSK affiliation going on
UMiami--seems like Jackson would give great training but not as sure about fellowship opps
Vanderbilt--solid clinical training and research opps, but skeptical about Nashville; I think I want a less Southern city
Hopkins--liked certain aspects but a bit put off by the intensity. like baltimore but just not sure
Duke--great program in terms of clinical training, but not in a city

also, friend wanted thoughts on vandy versus stanford. she's also interested in academic hem/onc

I would rank:
1-Houston Methodist (Methodist and Louisville are both great programs, but I prefer Methodist)
2-University of Louisville
3-Medical College of GA
4-Legacy Emmanuel
5 or 6-Albert Einstein PA
5 or 6-UF Jacksonville
7-UTMB (not bad program, but I think small Galveston "Island" is an option for a one day trip, not
living for years, it would be "depressive", only my opinion)
Einstein philly should be way higher. There is nothing thay impressive about methodist houston from a training standpoint(great hospital not so much for training)

the major thing I guess I am now looking for is between Coney Island, Rochester unity, and mercy catholic (pa) for cardio.

Coney - heard from quite some people it's a red flag, but no one ever told me why, really confused. I heard they have a DO cardio program now, maybe merger in 2020?

Rochester - likes the environment, but not sure about its chances in cardio. It has 2 graduates only last yr into cardio with both to Univ of Nebraska? Is that a good program? Not sure what to make of that.

mercy catholic - kinda likes Philadelphia, the program felt huge during interview. Rare graduates when into cardio. What do people think when they hear of this program anyway? Don't seem many people ever heard of it?

Which one of these will be a better rank order for these.

Last edited:
also, friend wanted thoughts on vandy versus stanford. she's also interested in academic hem/onc

I would personally give the edge to Stanford. I liked Northern Cal better than Nashville. Stanford seems to have a slight edge on prestige/academic rep. Patients seem a little more diverse at Stanford + they have 3 hospitals compared to Vandy's 2. Really both are excellent choices and I am nit picking here but you wanted an opinion so there you go. Can't go wrong with either though and this is honestly a good problem to have.

Okay, seeking guidance on a couple of programs. Interested in academic hem/onc but I also like medical education and want a strong/diverse clinical training. No geographical preference but cities are strongly preferred. very conflicted on ucla vs cornell

UTSW--loved this program and the clinical training. +/- on hem/onc here and its fellowship match, but I think it would be fine
UCLA--really liked the PD, the training system, etc. UCLA's match is very UCLA heavy, but it seems like it would have a good hem/onc fellowship. but i feel like it is considered less prestigious than say cornell
Cornell--I feel like this is considered more prestigious, but felt like the clinical training wasn't so diverse (one hospital) and didn't get as good of a vibe with the administration, but at the same time, it's got the MSK affiliation going on
UMiami--seems like Jackson would give great training but not as sure about fellowship opps
Vanderbilt--solid clinical training and research opps, but skeptical about Nashville; I think I want a less Southern city
Hopkins--liked certain aspects but a bit put off by the intensity. like baltimore but just not sure
Duke--great program in terms of clinical training, but not in a city

You got like 3 tiers here IMO. Hopkins stands alone. Then you got everyone else, then in a separate lower tier you got Miami. I know you aren't keen on location or culture but I would put Hopkins 1 and Duke 2 just based on a prestige/academic rep standpoint. Agree with UTSW being higher, it is a phenomenal program that has many attractive features along with some of the best clinical training in the country at Parkland Hospital. Dallas is also a really cool city and is underrated. While Miami's location may be awesome I think there are some serious sacrifices being made if one elects to go there vs some of your other programs in terms of fellowship opportunities. The remainder of the programs are more or less equal. Since they are all somewhat comparable a lot of my decision making comes down to location.

My personal list would be:

1. Hopkins
2. Duke (2nd only to Hopkins in terms of prestige and strength of clinical training, although UTSW is close, def get the Durham location factor though)
3. UTSW
4. UCLA (good program and location is a plus)
5. Cornell (especially if interested in heme/onc, NYC also a good location if single, mid twenties etc)
6. Vanderbilt (also a great program and can't go wrong here either just not a huge fan of Nashville)
7. Miami

People may and will disagree but this is just based on my experiences and opinions. This is not truth by any means.

Best of luck!

Applying mostly ABIm research track for GI. Trying to finalize the middle of my list:
Maryland > Minnesota > CWRU > Cincinnati.

I am wrong in assuming this 4 programs are relatively equal in terms of program strength / prestige?

Spouse and I are debating ranks #2 and #3 on my list. Thankfully, #1 and #’s 4-10 are solid.

Choices are Mayo or UCSD. I’m interested in an academic career, and want to enter a low/mildly-competitive fellowship.

Mayo seems like it would be an “easy” life. Housing is cheap (and spouse really enjoys home improvement and could keep busy fixing things up). There’d be no traffic, short commutes, only a single hospital to travel to, no VA, etc. It’s also near family, and not far from where we live, now. It seems like once you drink the kool-aid and board the “Mayo Train”, they take care of you. It seems financially-prudent, as we could buy a house, the economy is growing rapidly, cost of living is low, etc. We are also generally familiar with “how things work” in the Midwest, and this would be a very easy, low-stress move and lifestyle.

Spouse prefers this option. My concerns are that the weather is terrible (although we did grow up in the Midwest and aren’t unfamiliar with this), and that there are much fewer potential research mentors in my field. We don’t really go out, eat out, or “do anything”, so we’re not particularly worried about the size of the city.

I’m leaning towards San Diego because of the weather. I really enjoy being outside and just walking around and seeing the interesting flora and fauna. If I could see the seals at La Jolla cove a few times a week, I would probably be fine living in a small apartment (although spouse definitely wouldn’t like this and doesn’t share my enthusiasm for the outdoors). There would be far greater choices for research mentors at UCSD, it probably has a reputation as being slightly “more academic”, and the facilities are much nicer.

The cost of housing in San Diego is obviously a serious deterrent, as is the distance from family. We wouldn’t be able to buy a house, and would likely spend down a lot of our savings on renting. There would also be some commuting between different hospitals and between work and home.

Spouse might have slightly more numerous job opportunities in SD, although the quality/prestige of jobs may be better in Rochester, so we consider this issue a wash. Spouse is concerned that if they can’t find a job in San Diego, they’ll be sitting at home in a small apartment with nothing to do all day long, whereas in Rochester at least we’d own a large house and there’d be home improvement projects to keep busy with.

Spouse is amenable to moving to San Diego once I get a “real job” and we can afford decent housing.

One last complication: The UCSD program is a PSTP (combined residency and fellowship), which means I’d have a guaranteed fellowship spot. The Mayo program is just categorical IM, but Mayo does have a fellowship in my area, I am a highly-qualified candidate for this particular field, and Mayo tends to prefer internal applicants, so I surmise that there’s a better-than-average chance I would stay there for fellowship. Obviously the guarantee of a spot at UCSD is attractive, though.

Any thoughts? Obviously people love the “best weather in the world” in SD, but am I overstating it? Or is spouse overstating the cost of housing in SD? Feels like we’re trying to choose between the “adult thing” and the “fun thing”.

I didn't IV at UCSD, but I think these programs are close enough that it really just comes down to what you value. In your situation I'd definitely recommend Mayo. If you were a single dude looking to smash I'd give the definitive edge to UCSD. If you really love the area you can always live in SD down the road in your career. Why not be comfortable as possible during this stressful time?

Spouse and I are debating ranks #2 and #3 on my list. Thankfully, #1 and #’s 4-10 are solid.

Choices are Mayo or UCSD. I’m interested in an academic career, and want to enter a low/mildly-competitive fellowship.

Mayo seems like it would be an “easy” life. Housing is cheap (and spouse really enjoys home improvement and could keep busy fixing things up). There’d be no traffic, short commutes, only a single hospital to travel to, no VA, etc. It’s also near family, and not far from where we live, now. It seems like once you drink the kool-aid and board the “Mayo Train”, they take care of you. It seems financially-prudent, as we could buy a house, the economy is growing rapidly, cost of living is low, etc. We are also generally familiar with “how things work” in the Midwest, and this would be a very easy, low-stress move and lifestyle.

Spouse prefers this option. My concerns are that the weather is terrible (although we did grow up in the Midwest and aren’t unfamiliar with this), and that there are much fewer potential research mentors in my field. We don’t really go out, eat out, or “do anything”, so we’re not particularly worried about the size of the city.

I’m leaning towards San Diego because of the weather. I really enjoy being outside and just walking around and seeing the interesting flora and fauna. If I could see the seals at La Jolla cove a few times a week, I would probably be fine living in a small apartment (although spouse definitely wouldn’t like this and doesn’t share my enthusiasm for the outdoors). There would be far greater choices for research mentors at UCSD, it probably has a reputation as being slightly “more academic”, and the facilities are much nicer.

The cost of housing in San Diego is obviously a serious deterrent, as is the distance from family. We wouldn’t be able to buy a house, and would likely spend down a lot of our savings on renting. There would also be some commuting between different hospitals and between work and home.

Spouse might have slightly more numerous job opportunities in SD, although the quality/prestige of jobs may be better in Rochester, so we consider this issue a wash. Spouse is concerned that if they can’t find a job in San Diego, they’ll be sitting at home in a small apartment with nothing to do all day long, whereas in Rochester at least we’d own a large house and there’d be home improvement projects to keep busy with.

Spouse is amenable to moving to San Diego once I get a “real job” and we can afford decent housing.

One last complication: The UCSD program is a PSTP (combined residency and fellowship), which means I’d have a guaranteed fellowship spot. The Mayo program is just categorical IM, but Mayo does have a fellowship in my area, I am a highly-qualified candidate for this particular field, and Mayo tends to prefer internal applicants, so I surmise that there’s a better-than-average chance I would stay there for fellowship. Obviously the guarantee of a spot at UCSD is attractive, though.

Any thoughts? Obviously people love the “best weather in the world” in SD, but am I overstating it? Or is spouse overstating the cost of housing in SD? Feels like we’re trying to choose between the “adult thing” and the “fun thing”.
I lived in san diego for 7 years so i am speaking from personal experience. You can find cheaper housing you just have to look for it. Also i cannot stress how amazing it is to have the beautiful weather, beaches, landscapes. It feels like a vacation every day. The fact that you have a guaranteed fellowship is great, dont underestimate the stress and work that will go into obtaining that at mayo even as an exceptional candidate. At a certain point quality of life and stress will be important. I say go woth UCSD

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't IV at UCSD, but I think these programs are close enough that it really just comes down to what you value. In your situation I'd definitely recommend Mayo. If you were a single dude looking to smash I'd give the definitive edge to UCSD. If you really love the area you can always live in SD down the road in your career. Why not be comfortable as possible during this stressful time?

"If you were a single dude looking to smash"

Hahaha I am dying!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The Brigham is not exactly known for producing clinically strong docs like you'd expect for critical care. However for academic medicine they are strong. Depends on what you are actually going to do. Personally I think duke is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of clinical training and offers good mentorship for academics. So...

Duke
Stanford
BWH

@Instatewaiter can you elaborate a little bit on BWH not producing clinically strong docs?
Thanks!

Applying mostly ABIm research track for GI. Trying to finalize the middle of my list:
Maryland > Minnesota > CWRU > Cincinnati.

I am wrong in assuming this 4 programs are relatively equal in terms of program strength / prestige?

Minnesota=CWRU
Maryland
Cincinnati

No big differences overall. All are good for clinical training. Cinci lags behind in academics and heavy-duty research

Status
Not open for further replies.