Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone help me rank these programs. Location isn't a factor for me and I'm pretty interested in Cardiology.

Emory, Wake Forest, UF-Gainesville, MUSC, Dartmouth, and Mayo-Jacksonville
I'd personally put Dartmouth higher (before or after Wake), but you seem to have a pretty big SE bias here so I wonder what 3 years in the frozen north would do for you psychologically. If you left it the way it is, you wouldn't do yourself any real disservice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd personally put Dartmouth higher (before or after Wake), but you seem to have a pretty big SE bias here so I wonder what 3 years in the frozen north would do for you psychologically. If you left it the way it is, you wouldn't do yourself any real disservice.

Yeah, the Northeast didn't seem to give me much love. I'm actually pretty used to the cold, so if I did end up at Dartmouth I think I could adjust pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Could anyone help me rank these programs. Location isn't a factor for me and I'm pretty interested in Cardiology.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would keep it as is. The top 5 interchangeable but mayo-jax I would keep last unless you really like the small cush environment. Not to talk negatively about it but it isn't an academic / research / referral powerhouse that are the others.

Members don't see this ad :)

Emory
Wake/Dartmouth
UF/MUSC
Mayo-Jacksonville

Need help ranking my middle ranked programs, looking to pursue possibly an academic career or be involved in public health/population work/studies or GIM.
My top 4 are (NYU, Cornell, Monte, Jeff) and my order after that is:
5) RWJ
6) NSLIJ
7) Stony brook
8) Cincinnati
9) Rush
10) Dartmouth
11) Rutgers NJM
12) UMiami
13) Mt Sinai BI
14) Winthrop
15) Lenox

Unsure about where to put Stony, Cinc, Rush, Dartmouth, NJM or Mt Sinai BI in terms of my goals right now.
I know its an eclectic mixed bag of locations but I don't have any preferences of location although majority is NYC/NE area
Thanks for any input or any help!

Yet it seems lots of Bayview residents went to Hopkins fellowships or other prestigious ones, whereas most of UAMS graduates went to university fellowship programs in the central United States, with one or two each year going to Mayo Clinic. Correct me if I am wrong though. I am not sure how high the prestige is for either program. Sometimes I feel UAMS is a university program; other times I feel Bayview bears the name of Hopkins.

Keep in mind that people often start to settle down in residency, and are more likely to continue any fellowship training geographically closer to their residency than not. In this case, the east coast also happens to a high concentration of prestigious fellowships.

I think it depends on what you think you want to do. If you want to be a well rounded IM physician, I think UMD will offer a better experience. Bayview doesn't have as much exposure to critical care or specialty services like large academic centers have (albeit they can do rotations at JHH.) However, Bayview does have a very unique and exceptional relationship with JHH and JHH faculty. Just to let you know, Bayview match list is not consistently excellent, 2017 was an insanely unique year filled with likely lots of exceptional residents. If you look at the older match list, then the fellowship match isn't impressive. The biggest component of why Bayview can match well is two fold, they do take in lots of Hopkins students (and also other students from top medical schools, more than half of those who matched at top fellowship programs were Hopkins students or Chiefs), and more importantly, they work with Hopkins faculty many of them who have labs or research centers at Bayview. I think outside of Baltimore, many people will not know Hopkins Bayview, I would say the reputation of UMD is stronger and fairly so.
Bayview resident here. I agree that Hopkins Bayview is less known outside of Baltimore. I went to med school outside Baltimore and didn't know about it until application time. I do tend to think we have good exposure to critical care though. Of course it will be a different experience than at a large center (which my med school was), but we do have 3 months of ICU time as an intern, and around the middle of the year, the Bayview interns can end up in the position of supervising JHH residents (who rotate through our ICUs) for line placements since JHH interns only do about 1 non-admitting month of ICUs. Then Bayview interns and residents also get to benefit from the knowledge and experience of JHH residents, and vice versa.

Other top programs are more likely to only have students from top medical schools. Where you go for fellowship has more to do with you than the program you go to, but just know that Bayview will not be a limiting factor for you, as JLC mentioned you work with Hopkins faculty (whether at JHH or Bayview is your choice).

Last edited:
First, I would like to say I have a pretty favorable opinion about bayview. If you have done a search on SDN you have probably seen my posts on Bayview over the years. For full disclosure I did not do residency at Bayview but considered it during the interview trail.

Bayview is community and quasi-academic at the same time. While it is linked to JHH and all of its faculty have appointments at hopkins, It is not really Hopkins with a heart. At least in years past, the Bayview residents only really rotated through the onc center at JHH. Meanwhile, the JHH 2nd years would come to bayview to run the units as a senior in preparation for the JHH ICUs. The Bayview residents don't rotate through the O. Their didactics are arguably better than JHH's and their outpatient experience is pretty unquestionably better than JHHs. The Bayview match list is far and away the best community match list... and last I checked probably better than Marylands.

I wouldn't place too much credence in board pass rates as when I was in Baltimore the worst residency in the city had the best board pass rate (even better than JHH).

Compared to maryland it is a toss up. I go back and forth between thinking Bayview is better and thinking Maryland is better. It in part depends on what you are looking for. Nationally Maryland has a better reputation because it is better known.

With regard to what one of the other posts has said, Bayview has had a better match for the better part of the last decade when compared to maryland.
Bayview resident here. Whether or not it is "Hopkins with a heart" depends on what you're looking for in the phrase. You are 100% correct that we spend little required time at JHH. The term is not to imply that we are Osler with a heart, or JHH with a heart. However we are a complete part of Hopkins (the health system, unlike Sinai which is an affiliate of Hopkins but not part of it), and as far as research projects go you can work with faculty on either campus. There is a more balanced focus on resident wellness as a part of education rather than being seen as running counter to it, which gives it more of a "community" vibe. The two programs have vastly different styles of training. Bayview's match list is a challenge to the traditional notion that volume is the only way to train. To echo Instatewaiter, a lot depends on what you are looking for. Maryland follows the more traditional pattern of training.

I have heard just about everything under the sun from my various mentors about Bayview:
"It's community"
"No, it's academic and 'Hopkins with a heart'"
"Don't rank it above a mid-tier like Maryland. Maryland is better, more established, etc."
"No look at their brilliant match list"
"They only have an amazing fellowship match because half the students are from Hopkins."

Also don't recall anything about their day-to-day work hours. It anyone could speak to that, maybe it could help me decide too.
1, 2, and 4 are all true. It sits in a relatively unique crossroads of community and academic. See my other post about "Hopkins with a heart"; reflect on what your style of learning is.

As far as 4 and 5 go, look, sure you can say the amazing fellowship match is because of people from top med schools (Hopkins and elsewhere). You can also say the same thing about other places with good match lists, but those programs might have a higher proportion of people from top tier med schools so that differentiation just never gets made. At the end of the day all that says is that it's the person that matters more than the program, but Bayview will not be the rate limiting step. That said, some of Bayview's strengths are GIM and Geriatrics, so it's understandable that some will come for those reasons rather than for top tier fellowships.

As for #3, "better" is a subjective term. Better for what? There really isn't a "best" program, there is a "best for you" program. That's hard to figure out sometimes. Remember what your goals and values are and think about how each program fits with them. Mentorship is important but take all advice (including what I say) with a grain of salt. That said, outside of the immediate Baltimore and DC area, UMD is more well-known than Bayview. Some of that is simply because Bayview trains fewer residents, so there are fewer opportunities for the name to get out there, on top of a greater proportion of residents being interested in the non-competitive fields which means they are less likely to go hard on research. There's also that "Hopkins Bayview" is a mouthful and sometimes people just hear "Hopkins", confounding the two a bit.

All that being said, our chair of Medicine, David Hellmann, is no slouch. He is a former Osler marine and then Program Director. He's a big reason why the Bayview IM residency is set up the way it is, either because of or in spite of the experiences he's had on the other side of the "fence" as it were. His support (along with that of the program leadership) means we can do things like vote on hiring a PA to convert a 28-hour call rotation into a day/night rotation and add elective time into everyone's calendar at the same time.

As to your work hours, they will sound daunting but I'll summarize by saying you will rarely if ever break duty hours (though you do run close at times). I say that because people are sometimes daunted when I get into specifics, yet programs that violate duty hours consistently have supposed hours that sound "better" when you ask about it in that way. PM me if you would still like more details.

Last edited:
Hello all. These forums have been very valuable to me over the years leading up to my residency match and as I work to finalize my rank list, I would greatly appreciate any input regarding the following programs

Rough priorities / goals and tentative list below -

-Interested in Heme/Onc, medical education and health policy, with the goal of working in academic medicine (more on the education / clinician side than the research side, though I understand it will inevitably be a mix. My love is primarily caring for patients and teaching)
-Would like collegial and supportive environment between residents and faculty
-Would like to be in a program focused on integrating humanism into medical practice
-Would like a program focused on helping me become the best physician but also the best well-rounded person I can be, finding fulfillment in all aspects of my life.

1) University of Pennsylvania
-Loved Philadelphia, program appeared to meet my priorities (med ed track, health policy elective, great Heme/onc, seems focused on resident wellness and humanism in medicine, refugee clinic), loved PD and residents, and really felt like I connected. Everyone there is extremely down-to-earth and I would have great career opportunities. Really not sure about downsides.

2) UPMC
-Loved Pittsburgh, program appeared to meet my priorities pretty well
(health policy, back to the bedside initiative, high value healthcare curriculum) with the exception of medical education being more of an
option as an additional year after residency, loved the PD and residents with great connection. Not entirely sure if I will have as many doors
open to me from this program as the other programs on this list, though, which is a concern (although fellowship matches for Heme/Onc seem comparable to the others).

3) Yale
-I loved the PD and the program felt like it matched my priorities pretty well (writing elective, refugee clinic, reflection rounds,
communication curriculum, med ed track). Somewhat less connection here and concerned because I was told faculty are often 80% research and not as up on clinical medicine.

4) University of Michigan
-Meets some priorities really well (med ed track starting, great for heme/onc, low patient cap would allow me time to build patient
relationships and study up on patients). I am concerned about the residents seeming burnt-out when I was there and I have heard of bad interview day experiences (mine was not great either). I didn’t get much of a vibe regarding humanism in medicine.

5) BIDMC
-I was really excited about BIDMC from what I knew of it and it does have a lot of what I am looking for (great for Heme/onc, med ed track although only 6 residents/class get to do it, has communication curriculum and humanism in medicine program), but I am concerned about being able to thrive after hearing they meet duty hours by working 90-100 hours a week 3 weeks followed by 30-40 hours a week for a week. I am not sure how much you can focus on patient relationships as well as living a well-rounded life like that. I also do not know much about the PD here, as was unable to spend much time with him. After having such positive impressions of ones at other programs, I would love any input people have on the type of person he is and his approach within the program and the residents.

We only have limited information about programs from interviewing. Any wisdom people here have regarding these programs and how they might meet my priorities (and thus how I should rank them) would be much appreciated. Is it unreasonable to rank UPMC so high even though I had a great impression there? Is BIDMC too low? Should Michigan be above Yale even though the residents seemed burnt out? Are my impressions of these programs accurate or totally off the mark? These are things I wrestle with and it would be great if knowledgeable people could chime in with guidance.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hello all. These forums have been very valuable to me over the years leading up to my residency match and as I work to finalize my rank list, I would greatly appreciate any input regarding the following programs

-Interested in Heme/Onc, medical education and health policy, with the goal of working in academic medicine (more on the education / clinician side than the research side, though I understand it will inevitably be a mix. My love is primarily caring for patients and teaching)
-Would like to be in a program focused on integrating humanism into medical practice
-Would like a program focused on helping me become the best physician but also the best well-rounded person I can be, finding fulfillment in all aspects of my life.

-Loved Philadelphia, program appeared to meet my priorities (med ed track, health policy elective, great Heme/onc, seems focused on resident wellness and humanism in medicine, refugee clinic), loved PD and residents, and really felt like I connected. Everyone there is extremely down-to-earth and I would have great career opportunities. Really not sure about downsides.

2) UPMC
(health policy, back to the bedside initiative, high value healthcare curriculum) with the exception of medical education being more of an
option as an additional year after residency, loved the PD and residents with great connection. Not entirely sure if I will have as many doors
open to me from this program as the other programs on this list, though, which is a concern (although fellowship matches for Heme/Onc seem comparable to the others).

3) Yale
-I loved the PD and the program felt like it matched my priorities pretty well (writing elective, refugee clinic, reflection rounds,
communication curriculum, med ed track). Somewhat less connection here and concerned because I was told faculty are often 80% research and not as up on clinical medicine.

-Meets some priorities really well (med ed track starting, great for heme/onc, low patient cap would allow me time to build patient
relationships and study up on patients). I am concerned about the residents seeming burnt-out when I was there and I have heard of bad interview day experiences (mine was not great either). I didn’t get much of a vibe regarding humanism in medicine.

5) BIDMC
-I was really excited about BIDMC from what I knew of it and it does have a lot of what I am looking for (great for Heme/onc, med ed track although only 6 residents/class get to do it, has communication curriculum and humanism in medicine program), but I am concerned about being able to thrive after hearing they meet duty hours by working 90-100 hours a week 3 weeks followed by 30-40 hours a week for a week. I am not sure how much you can focus on patient relationships as well as living a well-rounded life like that. I also do not know much about the PD here, as was unable to spend much time with him. After having such positive impressions of ones at other programs, I would love any input people have on the type of person he is and his approach within the program and the residents.

We only have limited information about programs from interviewing. Any wisdom people here have regarding these programs and how they might meet my priorities (and thus how I should rank them) would be much appreciated. Is it unreasonable to rank UPMC so high even though I had a great impression there? Is BIDMC too low? Should Michigan be above Yale even though the residents seemed burnt out? Are my impressions of these programs accurate or totally off the mark? These are things I wrestle with and it would be great if knowledgeable people could chime in with guidance.

On reputation, Michigan and BIDMC should be higher and UPMC lower, however none of those programs will hold you back from fellowship opportunities. Based off what you've written and what you're looking for, I'd suggest you go with your gut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need help ranking my middle ranked programs, looking to pursue possibly an academic career or be involved in public health/population work/studies or GIM.
My top 4 are (NYU, Cornell, Monte, Jeff) and my order after that is:
5) RWJ
6) NSLIJ
7) Stony brook
8) Cincinnati
9) Rush
10) Dartmouth
11) Rutgers NJM
12) UMiami
13) Mt Sinai BI
14) Winthrop
15) Lenox

Unsure about where to put Stony, Cinc, Rush, Dartmouth, NJM or Mt Sinai BI in terms of my goals right now.
I know its an eclectic mixed bag of locations but I don't have any preferences of location although majority is NYC/NE area
Thanks for any input or any help!
Im surprised you are not putting sinai BI last, i interviewed there and the idea of the "transformation" or whatever they are selling it as is BS. I dont think its worth the risk of going to a closing program

Reactions: 1 user
USIMG from florida interested in pulm crit, current top 5:
University of Florida
University of South Florida
AE Montefiore Moses and Weiler
University of Illinois Chicago
Pennsylvania Hospital

Please let me know if there is anything major I am missing for a good fellowship

Hi guys,
The comments I have seen so far have been very helpful. I'd appreciate some input on my rank list.

Interests: definitely academic medicine, maybe med ed, Pulm/CC or Cards (but open to others)
Geography: would prefer a city pretty strongly but don't want to sacrifice too much in terms of the quality of the program and fellowship potential --> I do want to end up on the East coast for fellowship and definitely work
Social support: most support in Boston, some in Miami

I'm particularly hesitant to place NYC schools above Duke, Mayo, UTSW, and University of Washingtion. Also, any opinions on NYU vs. Mt. Sinai vs. Northwestern?

Finally, does anyone have thoughts on Dallas as a city?

1. BIDMC
2. Penn
3. Mt. Sinai NY
4. NYU (Tisch >traditional?)
5. Northwestern
6. University of Washington
7. UTSW
8. Duke
9. Yale
10. BUMC
11. Mayo Rochester
12. University of Miami

Thanks!

Hi guys,
The comments I have seen so far have been very helpful. I'd appreciate some input on my rank list.

Interests: definitely academic medicine, maybe med ed, Pulm/CC or Cards (but open to others)
Geography: would prefer a city pretty strongly but don't want to sacrifice too much in terms of the quality of the program and fellowship potential --> I do want to end up on the East coast for fellowship and definitely work

I'm particularly hesitant to place NYC schools above Duke, Mayo, UTSW, and University of Washingtion. Also, any opinions on NYU vs. Mt. Sinai vs. Northwestern?

1. BIDMC
2. Penn
3. Mt. Sinai NY
5. Northwestern
7. UTSW
8. Duke
9. Yale
10. BUMC
11. Mayo Rochester
12. University of Miami

Thanks!

Seems generally reasonable but do you have a particular reason for wanting to be in nyc? Those two programs do seem out of place where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Seems generally reasonable but do you have a particular reason for wanting to be in nyc? Those two programs do seem out of place where they are.

Only because of location: East Coast city. Where would you place them and Northwestern?

Bayview resident here. I agree that Hopkins Bayview is less known outside of Baltimore. I went to med school outside Baltimore and didn't know about it until application time. I do tend to think we have good exposure to critical care though. Of course it will be a different experience than at a large center (which my med school was), but we do have 3 months of ICU time as an intern, and around the middle of the year, the Bayview interns can end up in the position of supervising JHH residents (who rotate through our ICUs) for line placements since JHH interns only do about 1 non-admitting month of ICUs. Then Bayview interns and residents also get to benefit from the knowledge and experience of JHH residents, and vice versa.

Interesting. I was under the impression that JHH residents did all the lines in their ICUs and many lines on the floor. I was told they did 20-50 lines as an intern.

Hi guys,

1. BIDMC
2. Penn
3. Mt. Sinai NY
5. Northwestern
7. UTSW
8. Duke
9. Yale
10. BUMC
11. Mayo Rochester
12. University of Miami

Thanks!

I think your ROL per your interests fits very well. Although NYU is still a good residency, my impressions (from a while back) was Mt Sinai =Northwestern>NYU, but i don't think there's a big difference. Unless you absolutely hated the location, would put Duke over UTSW. Duke will open way more doors in term of fellowship.

I'm interested in going into Hem/Onc. Would really love to get your input about this:

Colorado vs Montefiore - Colorado seems to have a better reputation. Hem/onc match list is dominated by Colorado so it's difficult to understand how well one could match at other places. Montefiore matched incredibly well this year (including MSKCC) but their hem/onc match list hasn't traditionally been that strong.

I'm interested in going into Hem/Onc. Would really love to get your input about this:

Colorado vs Montefiore - Colorado seems to have a better reputation. Hem/onc match list is dominated by Colorado so it's difficult to understand how well one could match at other places. Montefiore matched incredibly well this year (including MSKCC) but their hem/onc match list hasn't traditionally been that strong.
Last 4 yrs hem/onc monte

Cornell x2
Mskcc
Nih
Monte

Cornell
Nyu
Yale

Mskcc x2
Tufts
Yale
Monte

Mskcc
Fox chase
RWJ x2

Last 4 yrs hem/onc monte

Cornell x2
Mskcc
Nih
Monte

Cornell
Nyu
Yale

Mskcc x2
Tufts
Yale
Monte

Mskcc
Fox chase
RWJ x2

Thank you, this is definitely helpful. Any other thoughts about Colorado vs Monte for someone who's interested in hem/onc?

Thank you, this is definitely helpful. Any other thoughts about Colorado vs Monte for someone who's interested in hem/onc?
Apparently, if you want to do Hem/Onc in the greater NYC metro area, Monte's not a bad choice.

Your opportunities for research (both clinical and basic) are going to be better at Colorado. Your clinical training and breadth of cases will be similar in both places. You'll drive more in Colorado.

Reactions: 1 users

2) UPMC

3) Yale

5) BIDMC

Agree with @fasteddie911.

Also agree with Penn at number 1. I thought it was a phenomenal program and I am ranking it very highly. No real flaws as far as I can tell, maybe Philly as a city but I don't mind it.

Beth Israel and Michigan have the better rep as mentioned above. For me it would come down to location and I'd probably rank BI > Michigan. Ann Arbor just wasn't doing it for me when I visited it. On the other hand I fell in love w/ Boston, it seemed to have so much history, a lot of things to do, and a very real academic community feel that encompasses the entire city. However, with that being said, I wouldn't give Yale a point for location either. Never been to Pittsburgh so I have no idea but honestly its a good program with a good rep and I don't think it will limit you much (if at all). If your gut was overwhelmingly telling you to rank UPMC as high as it is, there are no glaring reasons to discourage that.

My list would go something like this:

1. Penn
2. Beth Israel
3. Michigan
4. UPMC
5. Yale

Best of luck!

I know there's a pretty solid no post-interview communication rule, but has anyone received phone calls from any programs? Friends from other specialties have started getting "rank to match" phone calls.

I know there's a pretty solid no post-interview communication rule, but has anyone received phone calls from any programs? Friends from other specialties have started getting "rank to match" phone calls.

I and a bunch of others received unsolicited emails from a controversial Midwestern community program telling us that we were among the pool of ultracompetitive candidates and their program is the bestest in the world and us news agrees.

I and a bunch of others received unsolicited emails from a controversial Midwestern community program telling us that we were among the pool of ultracompetitive candidates and their program is the bestest in the world and us news agrees.

Cleveland Clinic I presume? Sad!

Hey yall

I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on my ROL as it stands. Long term goals academic medicine Hospitalist or subspec (possibly ID)

1 Mayo Clinic
2. Yale
3Tufts
4JHBMC (thoughts)
5 BU
6 Colorado (denver) vs TJeff
8 LIJ/northwell/hofstra
9. Lenox Hill
10. Mayo PSTP
11. UMD
12. greenwich
13 NYMC

Are people emailing the PD (or faculty interviewers) at their #1 program?

My advisor told me it doesn't matter, but if everyone else is doing it.......

Are people emailing the PD (or faculty interviewers) at their #1 program?

My advisor told me it doesn't matter, but if everyone else is doing it.......

It's honestly probably too late. And, more importantly, it most likely doesn't matter.

Certify and don't think about it for 3 weeks.

Hey yall

I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on my ROL as it stands. Long term goals academic medicine Hospitalist or subspec (possibly ID)

1 Mayo Clinic
2. Yale
3Tufts
4JHBMC (thoughts)
5 BU
8 LIJ/northwell/hofstra
9. Lenox Hill
10. Mayo PSTP
11. UMD
12. greenwich
13 NYMC

If you're going for ID, rank however.

If you're going for academics, I'd do:

Yale
Colorado
Mayo
Boston/Maryland
Bayview/Jeff
rest

Hey yall

1 Mayo Clinic
2. Yale
3Tufts
4JHBMC (thoughts)
5 BU
8 LIJ/northwell/hofstra
9. Lenox Hill
10. Mayo PSTP
11. UMD
12. greenwich
13 NYMC
JHBMC has a hospitalist fellowship and pretty well-developed hospitalist program for what that's worth. And it doesn't close fellowship doors because the research opportunities are the same as Hopkins (and there's even generally enough time to start research projects intern year). Don't really know about the others as well.

Interesting. I was under the impression that JHH residents did all the lines in their ICUs and many lines on the floor. I was told they did 20-50 lines as an intern.
Interesting. If they still do, most of them aren't arterial and central lines, then. You only need 5 of either to be signed off anywhere within the Hopkins system.

Interesting. If they still do, most of them aren't arterial and central lines, then. You only need 5 of either to be signed off anywhere within the Hopkins system.

Hmm...It is hard for me to believe the interns at Bayview are supervising the residents from Hopkins for central line or A-line insertion since these are exceptionally common ICU procedures and basically every ICU admission would need one of these. If you only need 5 of each to be signed off in the Hopkins system, it is very hard for me to believe the residents from Hopkins have not done 5 after 12 months of internship and the Bayview interns have done more.

Do you think you were embellishing to make Bayview seem stronger than it is? I am not calling you a liar, but I suspect some on this board have done residency at Hopkins and may be able to shed some light on this.

Last edited:
Hey yall

1 Mayo Clinic
2. Yale
3Tufts
4JHBMC (thoughts)
5 BU
8 LIJ/northwell/hofstra
9. Lenox Hill
10. Mayo PSTP
11. UMD
12. greenwich
13 NYMC
I think UMD should be higher and bottom three should be nymc, lenox, greenwich

Hello,
I'm considering academic ID or CDC.

Would appreciate help with the order of these:
1. Emory
2. Cornell
3. UTSW
4. Vanderbilt (concerned about diversity of pathology in Nashville)
5. Baylor (malignant reputation?)

I have a concern about intubation. why is it that IM residents are not required to intubate and we need to get an anesthesia elective or beg the pulm crit fellows to do the basic procedure. Is it the same in all programs ? because most programs I interviewed, this was a concern.

I think your ROL per your interests fits very well. Although NYU is still a good residency, my impressions (from a while back) was Mt Sinai =Northwestern>NYU, but i don't think there's a big difference. Unless you absolutely hated the location, would put Duke over UTSW. Duke will open way more doors in term of fellowship.

Thank you! Appreciate the wisdom.

I have a concern about intubation. why is it that IM residents are not required to intubate and we need to get an anesthesia elective or beg the pulm crit fellows to do the basic procedure. Is it the same in all programs ? because most programs I interviewed, this was a concern.

At many of the programs I interviewed at, IM residents were not required to intubate but those who wanted to learn were able to do so under pulm/crit or anesthesia supervision. I think that while intubation is a great skill to learn, it's not really essential. If you've got a patient who needs to be intubated because they can't ventilate enough to keep up with demand, you can bag-valve-mask them until someone who is able to intubate arrives to help. I got this hammered into me during my anesthesia rotation. "Forget the tube for now, focus on the mask. If you know how to mask someone, you know how to keep them alive." If you're intubating because of an airway issue, it's probably going to be a complex intubation and you'll need support from anesthesia or ENT anyway.

1. BWH
2. Duke
3. Stanford

Anyone that says Stanford is on par with Duke or BWH for IM training is not familiar with any of these programs. Stanford is "prestigious" for everything except IM residency, and anyone that claims otherwise has no knowledge of the IM training.

If you care at all about being a strong internist, Duke and/or BWH is head and shoulders above Stanford. That being said, it's still a good program and you won't be a bad doctor for going there. If you are set on being at Stanford for fellowship, that may be the best choice for obvious reasons. On the other hand, neither Duke nor BWH are going to eliminate any options for fellowship.

You're a resident at UCSF that went to medical school at UNC. Where is this authority on the issue coming from?

I was speaking about BWH vs. Stanford match (not Duke), but decided to PM. To be comprehensive and hopefully helpful, here is the summarized match list from this past year for competitive specialties (just because I'm too lazy to summarize all specialties) at each program. Interpret as you will.

Duke
Cardiology - Duke (5), UTSW (1), Iowa (1), Cleveland (2), UAB (1), UNC (1), NYU (1), Michigan (1), Vermont (1), BI (1), Mt Sinai (1), Wash U (1)
Oncology - MD ANderson (1), Duke (1), MSK (1), Oncology (1)
GI - Ohio State (1), Duke (3)
Pulm/Crit Care - Emory (1), Duke (3), NYU (1)

Brigham and Women's Hospital
Cardiology - BWH(3), MGH (1) Duke (1), Stanford (1), Cleveland Clinic (1), Columbia (1), Penn (1), NW (1)
Oncology - DFCI (6), MD Anderson (1), MSK (1), Stanford (1), Penn (1), UCSF (1), Yale (1)
GI - BWH(2), Michigan (1)
Pulmonary - Penn(1), UCSF (1), BWH (2)

Stanford
Cardiology - Stanford (4), UC Irvine (1), NW (1), Cleveland (1)
Oncology - Stanford (5), UCLA (1)
GI - Stanford (2), UCLA (1), UCSF (1), UWash (1)
Pulmonary - UWash (1)

Oh, sorry, the point I was trying to make is that Duke is regarded as a great program, one of the best, and yet it didn't send anyone to the NE outside of NYC, therefore this is a great example that you shouldn't judge a program on how many people it sends to the NE. It should also be taken in mind that BWH and Duke each have around 60 categorical residents whereas Stanford only has around 35.

At many of the programs I interviewed at, IM residents were not required to intubate but those who wanted to learn were able to do so under pulm/crit or anesthesia supervision. I think that while intubation is a great skill to learn, it's not really essential. If you've got a patient who needs to be intubated because they can't ventilate enough to keep up with demand, you can bag-valve-mask them until someone who is able to intubate arrives to help. I got this hammered into me during my anesthesia rotation. "Forget the tube for now, focus on the mask. If you know how to mask someone, you know how to keep them alive." If you're intubating because of an airway issue, it's probably going to be a complex intubation and you'll need support from anesthesia or ENT anyway.

hmmm didn't realize that about alot of places not requiring intubation. It was required for us which you pretty much met requirements after your 1st month on ICU as an intern. usually for us, anesthesia got to codes too late and us interns were too eager to put in the tube

Im interested in interventional cardio. Any insight would be much appreciated!

1)UKentucky
2) UNebraska
3) UFL
4)UMiss
5) Louisville
6) UOklahoma
7) UCONN
8) WVU
9) Drexel
10) UF Jacksonville

Cleveland Clinic I presume? Sad!

I refuse to confirm or deny if it was indeed the said institute.;);)

Having said that ,the email was surely proofread by a legal team to just fall short of an nrmp match violation..Or atleast within the grey area..I wonder why a program would go to the extent .

Status
Not open for further replies.