Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal list would be:

1. Hopkins
2. Duke (2nd only to Hopkins in terms of prestige and strength of clinical training, although UTSW is close, def get the Durham location factor though)
3. UTSW
4. UCLA (good program and location is a plus)
5. Cornell (especially if interested in heme/onc, NYC also a good location if single, mid twenties etc)
6. Vanderbilt (also a great program and can't go wrong here either just not a huge fan of Nashville)
7. Miami
quoted Bc above was in response to the metal originally

Agree with 1 and 2 but you wouldn't be crazy to have Duke first. Personally also agree with #3 but some would be put off by Texas. 4-6 would be based on location and personal preference but agree vandy, Cornell and ucla are prolly your 4-6 in terms of reputation/rank

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown vs GW - can anyone give their input on these two programs. I am interested in GI specifically.

@Instatewaiter can you elaborate a little bit on BWH not producing clinically strong docs?
Thanks!

Yeah the Brigham is just not known as a clinically rigorous program. It loves to produce people who can research the crap out of stuff but of the Boston programs is felt to produce less strong clinical people than MGH.

My experience with Brigham trained guys/gals have run the gamut from one of the worst doctors I have met to stellar. In comparison I have universally found that Every Duke person I have met has been very strong (and I have met a lot).

This isn't to say you can't be the shiz if you go to the Brigham. Perhaps they only take the scrubs from the Brigham where I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of those programs on that list are going to be significantly above UK in terms of ranking.

I think you have over ranked metro (which although is part of case, is not the real case IM program)

Assuming U.K. Is #1, how I'd rank it:
Kentucky
Wisconsin
UMass
Drexel
Case Western (MetroHealth)

Thanks! Metro got a bit of an over-rank for geographical location to home in Detroit. But thank you for your feedback!

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while. Having some trouble with my list. Couples matching with a super competitive specialty & thinking about cards.

My main question is about Penn. I talked to a few people during my interview day that really seemed to paint a rough picture in terms of hours, being too tired to do anything, and time off. It seemed like during their +2 time, they only get one of those weekends a significant part of the time due to cross coverage. The rest of the program seemed great and it would be a stellar city for my spouse to match to, I just have a nagging gut feeling that isn't positive. Can anyone else comment about their impression of resident quality of life during their interview day? I've already nixed spouse's top 2 programs because they were especially weak for me, so I'm trying to build a case here.

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while. Having some trouble with my list. Couples matching with a super competitive specialty & thinking about cards.

My main question is about Penn. I talked to a few people during my interview day that really seemed to paint a rough picture in terms of hours, being too tired to do anything, and time off. It seemed like during their +2 time, they only get one of those weekends a significant part of the time due to cross coverage. The rest of the program seemed great and it would be a stellar city for my spouse to match to, I just have a nagging gut feeling that isn't positive. Can anyone else comment about their impression of resident quality of life during their interview day? I've already nixed spouse's top 2 programs because they were especially weak for me, so I'm trying to build a case here.

I'm sure residency would be hard at many places. I definitely got the sense that the residents at Penn work very hard (I think you're correct that you get one golden weekend every 8 weeks - correct me if I'm wrong), but I will be ranking it very highly because I'm looking for a program that would work me hard and train me well. I did have a sense that the PD, associate PDs, and chiefs were very invested in wellness - seems like they did a lot with the +2 weeks to give you a set number of half days off per year to plan for stuff like appointments and I had a sense they were very responsive to feedback from housestaff. That being said if it's really true that you had a "nagging gut feeling that isn't positive" then I would look elsewhere because I heard from numerous people to trust your gut feeling. For me, my gut was is Penn.

Okay, seeking guidance on a couple of programs. Interested in academic hem/onc but I also like medical education and want a strong/diverse clinical training. No geographical preference but cities are strongly preferred. very conflicted on ucla vs cornell

UTSW--loved this program and the clinical training. +/- on hem/onc here and its fellowship match, but I think it would be fine
UCLA--really liked the PD, the training system, etc. UCLA's match is very UCLA heavy, but it seems like it would have a good hem/onc fellowship. but i feel like it is considered less prestigious than say cornell
Cornell--I feel like this is considered more prestigious, but felt like the clinical training wasn't so diverse (one hospital) and didn't get as good of a vibe with the administration, but at the same time, it's got the MSK affiliation going on
UMiami--seems like Jackson would give great training but not as sure about fellowship opps
Vanderbilt--solid clinical training and research opps, but skeptical about Nashville; I think I want a less Southern city
Hopkins--liked certain aspects but a bit put off by the intensity. like baltimore but just not sure
Duke--great program in terms of clinical training, but not in a city

Great list. I didn't interview at UCLA/Cornell/Miami but between the others, I understand Hopkins/Duke may have slightly better name recognition than UTSW/Vandy, but my ranking based on gut feeling and location is Hopkins = UTSW > Vandy > Duke. I can't really explain as this is just my gut and there is an emotional component to my thinking and would probably differ from a lot of other's opinions.

Current Penn resident here. During your +2 time you typically have 2 golden weekends (between the 2 weeks, and at the end of the 2 weeks - you may also have the first weekend). You do 3-4 days of weekend cross-coverage for the entire year, and may be able to trade them away. We definitely work hard, but I wouldn't say it's that rough - depending on the service, you can sign out by ~4PM on your non-call days. The clinical training is excellent. There's definitely a strong focus on wellness, and the program provides funding for activities for each cohort during their +2 time.

Reactions: 1 user
Current Penn resident here. During your +2 time you typically have 2 golden weekends (between the 2 weeks, and at the end of the 2 weeks - you may also have the first weekend). You do 3-4 days of weekend cross-coverage for the entire year, and may be able to trade them away. We definitely work hard, but I wouldn't say it's that rough - depending on the service, you can sign out by ~4PM on your non-call days. The clinical training is excellent. There's definitely a strong focus on wellness, and the program provides funding for activities for each cohort during their +2 time.
Thanks for your reply, really helpful!

Yeah the Brigham is just not known as a clinically rigorous program. It loves to produce people who can research the crap out of stuff but of the Boston programs is felt to produce less strong clinical people than MGH.

My experience with Brigham trained guys/gals have run the gamut from one of the worst doctors I have met to stellar. In comparison I have universally found that Every Duke person I have met has been very strong (and I have met a lot).

This isn't to say you can't be the shiz if you go to the Brigham. Perhaps they only take the scrubs from the Brigham where I am.

Yeah, a resident who was a year ahead of me who went on to MGH/BWH for kidney fellowship was telling me that he was not very impressed with the housestaff during his time there.

I am at a prominent cardiology program and we usually take one Brigham resident every year. The quality has been hit or miss. Nonetheless it is very prestigious.

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I have interviewed at 12 places, and am interested in doing a fellowship in endocrinology. Could you please help me rank these programs.
1. UConn
2. Medstar Washinton Hospital Center
3. Mount Auburn Hospital
4. UIUC
5. UAB Montgomery
6. Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
7. Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island
8. St Vincent Worcester
9. Trinitas Regional Medical Center, New Jersey
10. Metrowest Medical center, Framingham
11. Gundersen Healthcare, La crosse
12. Mac Neal Hospital, Berwyn

Please let me know what you all think of these programs! thanks, guys!

I am at a prominent cardiology program and we usually take one Brigham resident every year. The quality has been hit or miss. Nonetheless it is very prestigious.

Does that mean that prominent programs blindly take people from top tier places even though they may not necessarily be good ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean that prominent programs blindly take people from top tier places even though they may not necessarily be good ?

There are people who look good on paper and may interview well but aren't all that good. It's not like those crappy people come to interviews and tell everyone they aren't good. It also behooves a program director to support all of their graduates. So it is not so cut and dry.

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I have interviewed at 12 places, and am interested in doing a fellowship in endocrinology. Could you please help me rank these programs.
1. UConn
2. Medstar Washinton Hospital Center
3. Mount Auburn Hospital
4. UIUC
5. UAB Montgomery
6. Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
7. Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island
8. St Vincent Worcester
9. Trinitas Regional Medical Center, New Jersey
10. Metrowest Medical center, Framingham
11. Gundersen Healthcare, La crosse
12. Mac Neal Hospital, Berwyn

Please let me know what you all think of these programs! thanks, guys!

Guys, please help!

Guys, please help!
I know nothing about any of your programs. Maybe rank them based on gut feel and location. I think endocrine fellowship in general isn't competitive so i don't think any of those programs will prevent you from pursing that.

This is anecdotal and a bit silly. My disclosures are that I was a BWH resident, did subsequent training at BWH and MGH, and am no longer in Boston.

1. The notion that everyone at BWH should be "clinically phenomenal" doesn't hold true. Our bottom 20% is no different than the bottom 20% at other great programs. The difference is that our clinical "bottom 20%" tend to fall there not because they're not incredibly bright, but mostly because they are incredibly brilliant and productive at something else (research, global health, etc...) and dedicate most of their time to that passion.... or they just want to cruise.

2. I really like MGH, but there is an adage associated with their residency: "Always confident, not always right." Their bottom 20% can also be bad. Ask an MGH resident if there are scientifically brilliant, but clinically poor residents in their program -> they'll be honest.

3. Having trained at both MGH and BWH, the clinical top 80% at both places are pretty stellar. The programs just have completely different feels (which have been discussed to no ends on this board). BWH is more focused on cultivating "leaders in medicine," irrespective of what you want to do (basic science, clinical research, policy, global health, business, startups). If you google recent residents, their output is unbelievable... many don't stick with the traditional "academic medicine" paths. MGH is more focused on traditional academic paths, though that is changing with Katrina Armstrong.

4. It's REALLY hard to get an interview at BWH. They only interview 200 individuals, and it's because the admissions committee goes over applications with a fine-tooth comb (reads everything in detail, calls colleagues who knows applicants). Their selection process is hell-bent on picking individuals who are 1. The "best" at their respective medical schools, 2. Really nice, friendly, easy to work with people, 3. and have another passion/interest that distinguishes them (that "future leader" quality). BWH has over the past 5-10 years been the program of choice for HMS students (when I applied, the vast majority of students that wanted to stay in Boston ranked BWH #1), which is relatively telling.

5. Individuals that did residency elsewhere and then come to a new institution for fellowship and complain about the residents is old news. This is probably further exacerbated at BWH, since many individuals don't get an interview there for residency.

6. We match incredibly well. Our PD advocates for us like crazy, and we love him for it. And to some extent, it might be the reason some individuals who aren't necessarily strong (and would be filtered out, coming from another residency program) still get into fantastic fellowships. If you go to BWH, you'll likely have your choice of fellowships. That is just not the case at other places being discussed (i.e. Stanford). This past year, 90% of BWH residents got their #1 choice for fellowship. There is no selection bias either - they interviewed at super competitive programs.
Here is the 2016 match list for competitive specialities.
GI - BWH(2), Michigan (1)
Cardiology - BWH(3), Duke (1), Stanford (1), Cleveland Clinic (1), Columbia (1), Penn (1), NW (1)
Oncology - DFCI (6), MD Anderson (1), MSK (1), Stanford (1), Penn (1), UCSF (1), Yale (1)
Pulmonary - Penn(1), UCSF (1), BWH (2)

Bottom line, be skeptical of statements like "all residents from here are fantastic." The best programs in the country all still are capable of producing clinically weak residents (even Duke!). Try to be objective in your assessment of programs: 1. Talk to current residents and recent graduates, 2. Understand what opportunities you will have at a given program to develop your interests, 3. Look at match lists (and be skeptical of ones that are heavy on the home institution), 4. Understand the role the administration plays in supporting your career development and advocating for you (our PD is incredibly committed to this).

I absolutely loved the Brigham for residency, for so many reasons other than just clinical rigor. You'll be hard pressed to find a BWH graduate who is not enamored with their experience. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Reactions: 2 users
This is anecdotal and a bit silly. My disclosures are that I was a BWH resident, did subsequent training at BWH and MGH, and am no longer in Boston.

1. The notion that everyone at BWH should be "clinically phenomenal" doesn't hold true. Our bottom 20% is no different than the bottom 20% at other great programs. The difference is that our clinical "bottom 20%" tend to fall there not because they're not incredibly bright, but mostly because they are incredibly brilliant and productive at something else (research, global health, etc...) and dedicate most of their time to that passion.... or they just want to cruise.

2. I really like MGH, but there is an adage associated with their residency: "Always confident, not always right." Their bottom 20% can also be bad. Ask an MGH resident if there are scientifically brilliant, but clinically poor residents in their program -> they'll be honest.

3. Having trained at both MGH and BWH, the clinical top 80% at both places are pretty stellar. The programs just have completely different feels (which have been discussed to no ends on this board). BWH is more focused on cultivating "leaders in medicine," irrespective of what you want to do (basic science, clinical research, policy, global health, business, startups). If you google recent residents, their output is unbelievable... many don't stick with the traditional "academic medicine" paths. MGH is more focused on traditional academic paths, though that is changing with Katrina Armstrong.

4. It's REALLY hard to get an interview at BWH. They only interview 200 individuals, and it's because the admissions committee goes over applications with a fine-tooth comb (reads everything in detail, calls colleagues who knows applicants). Their selection process is hell-bent on picking individuals who are 1. The "best" at their respective medical schools, 2. Really nice, friendly, easy to work with people, 3. and have another passion/interest that distinguishes them (that "future leader" quality). BWH has over the past 5-10 years been the program of choice for HMS students (when I applied, the vast majority of students that wanted to stay in Boston ranked BWH #1), which is relatively telling.

5. Individuals that did residency elsewhere and then come to a new institution for fellowship and complain about the residents is old news. This is probably further exacerbated at BWH, since many individuals don't get an interview there for residency.

6. We match incredibly well. Our PD advocates for us like crazy, and we love him for it. And to some extent, it might be the reason some individuals who aren't necessarily strong (and would be filtered out, coming from another residency program) still get into fantastic fellowships. If you go to BWH, you'll likely have your choice of fellowships. That is just not the case at other places being discussed (i.e. Stanford). This past year, 90% of BWH residents got their #1 choice for fellowship. There is no selection bias either - they interviewed at super competitive programs.
Here is the 2016 match list for competitive specialities.
Cardiology - BWH(3), Duke (1), Stanford (1), Cleveland Clinic (1), Columbia (1), Penn (1), NW (1)
Oncology - DFCI (6), MD Anderson (1), MSK (1), Stanford (1), Penn (1), UCSF (1), Yale (1)

Bottom line, be skeptical of statements like "all residents from here are fantastic." The best programs in the country all still are capable of producing clinically weak residents (even Duke!). Try to be objective in your assessment of programs: 1. Talk to current residents and recent graduates, 2. Understand what opportunities you will have at a given program to develop your interests, 3. Look at match lists (and be skeptical of ones that are heavy on the home institution), 4. Understand the role the administration plays in supporting your career development and advocating for you (our PD is incredibly committed to this).

I absolutely loved the Brigham for residency, for so many reasons other than just clinical rigor. You'll be hard pressed to find a BWH graduate who is not enamored with their experience. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Great Post, I think everyone who says BWH doesn't train you well clinically is without strong merit. BWH has always had an incredibly strong medicine department, exposure to all the medical specialties. If you go to BWH, the opportunities ARE THERE to make you into the best medicine doctor. But as StyleandSugar said, BWH does attract people who pursue other interests, ie research.etc. Just because they're excellent in research doesn't mean they can't be excellent in clinical training as well. There are few places like BWH (prob MGH and Hopkins) who train residents who eventually go on to become Chiefs of divisions, Chairs...etc.

Can anyone from Columbia comment on the program? Vibe I got from the residents there was that there is basically never any free weekends due to the lack of block scheduling. Is that accurate or perhaps was just hearing from some residents at the end of a tough rotation who were venting!

Hey guys. Im interested in interventional cardio. Driving myself crazy over my list but any opinions, especially with the bottom 5, would be much appreciated. All the schools are the main campus sites.

1)UKentucky
2) UNebraska
3) UMiss
4)UFL
5) Louisville
6) UOklahoma
7) UCONN
8) WVU
9) Drexel
10) UF Jacksonville

Hello everyone, the huge middle of my list is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm a california native probably doing either hospitalist or pulm/crit as of now, preference for academic programs, interest in working with underserved but also want variety in residency. Trying to figure out b/w:
1) UCSD
2) Colorado
3) UC Davis
4) OHSU
5) USC
6) UCI
7) UCLA-harbor
8) Cedars

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you

Hello everyone! I am starting to freak out with the rank list due next week.
I would like a strong academic center, with great fellowship opportunities (thinking HemeOnc or GI), good patient diversity where I could use my Spanish.

1. Baylor in Houston Tx
2. University of Rochester
3. Robert Wood Johnson
4. Jackson Memorial UMiami
5. Temple
6. Montefiore/Albert Einstein in NY
7. University of South Florida
8. University of Maryland
9. University of Minnesota
10. University of Vermont
11. Medical University of South Carolina
12. University of West Virginia
13. UTMB Galveston
14. Hofstra NSLIJ
15. Rutgers NJMS
16. Cooper in Camden

-Is it crazy for me to put the Florida programs as high as they are? I prefer warm weather, but I can deal with cold for 3 years. I currently live in the NE. Fellowship placement is what I value the most, so maybe I should move them further down. I am afraid about overwork at a county hospital at Jackson/UMiami.

-Is there a huge difference between U of Rochester and Robert Wood Johnson(and Montefiore?) in terms of reputation and research opportunities for fellowship?

Ah thanks for any input. I am honestly all over the place.

I would like a strong academic center, with great fellowship opportunities (thinking HemeOnc or GI), good patient diversity where I could use my Spanish.

1. Baylor in Houston Tx
3. Robert Wood Johnson
5. Temple
13. UTMB Galveston
14. Hofstra NSLIJ
15. Rutgers NJMS
16. Cooper in Camden

-Is it crazy for me to put the Florida programs as high as they are? I prefer warm weather, but I can deal with cold for 3 years. I currently live in the NE. Fellowship placement is what I value the most, so maybe I should move them further down. I am afraid about overwork at a county hospital at Jackson/UMiami.

-Is there a huge difference between U of Rochester and Robert Wood Johnson(and Montefiore?) in terms of reputation and research opportunities for fellowship?

I can talk about the florida programs. USF has a very strong cancer background and is overall a solid program. UM is also a good program but the overwork is real. Quality education / fellowship but lots of time doing bs, scut, social work, etc. I personally would rather wear an extra jacket and scrape my windshield in the morning than spend hours chasing social workers for years :). UM,UMaryland, UMinnesota, UVermont ... all good programs so really just comes down to you on that. Monte is a good program but it is in the Bronx. A good 45 minute subway ride to get into the city. Just my 2c

MCW vs Aurora Health Care? both in Milwaukee, one is a university program the other one is not. I am interested in cards and the cardiology fellowship at Aurora seems to be amazing.
Any comments? Should I rank Aurora higher than MCW because of that?

Anybody?

1. Baylor in Houston Tx
3. Robert Wood Johnson
5. Temple
13. UTMB Galveston
14. Hofstra NSLIJ
15. Rutgers NJMS
16. Cooper in Camden

If career prospects is what you prioritize most, I would deal with the weather for 3 yrs and go to the best place possible.

-Baylor
-Rochester/Minnesota/Maryland/Monte
-Temple/RWJ
-Miami/MUSC
-USF
-Vermont
-the rest

You will probably use your Spanish the most at Monte and Miami

Hello everyone, the huge middle of my list is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm a california native probably doing either hospitalist or pulm/crit as of now, preference for academic programs, interest in working with underserved but also want variety in residency. Trying to figure out b/w:
1) UCSD
2) Colorado
3) UC Davis
4) OHSU
5) USC
6) UCI
7) UCLA-harbor
8) Cedars

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you

Looks fine

Hello, looking for some thoughts on BWH vs Duke vs Stanford. Interested in critical care or heme/onc, academic medicine.

Thank you!

I would do:

1. BWH
2. Stanford
3. Duke

Brigham IMO is very slightly more prestigious than the other two and I heard people really enjoy their time at the Brigham. Stanford vs Duke is a close call. Location wise Stanford wins in my opinion but Duke has slightly better general medicine clinical training. Literally cannot go wrong with any of these programs and people have wonderful things to say about all of them. It will only come down to your preference.

Best of luck

1. BWH
2. Duke
3. Stanford

Anyone that says Stanford is on par with Duke or BWH for IM training is not familiar with any of these programs. Stanford is "prestigious" for everything except IM residency, and anyone that claims otherwise has no knowledge of the IM training.

If you care at all about being a strong internist, Duke and/or BWH is head and shoulders above Stanford. That being said, it's still a good program and you won't be a bad doctor for going there. If you are set on being at Stanford for fellowship, that may be the best choice for obvious reasons. On the other hand, neither Duke nor BWH are going to eliminate any options for fellowship.

Can anyone from Columbia comment on the program? Vibe I got from the residents there was that there is basically never any free weekends due to the lack of block scheduling. Is that accurate or perhaps was just hearing from some residents at the end of a tough rotation who were venting!

Interested in this as well.

From my experience at least it seemed that the residents worked very hard but seemed to get along very well with one another and had fun together. They did not come off as miserable or overworked during my visit.

Interested in this as well.

From my experience at least it seemed that the residents worked very hard but seemed to get along very well with one another and had fun together. They did not come off as miserable or overworked during my visit.

I'm just an applicant but I was under the impression the Columbia residents loved their program. I spoke to a lot of residents at the dinner and interview day and they all looked very happy and spoke highly of their program and of their wellness. Seems like the training their is excellent and they didn't have many complaints (I certainly didn't get a vibe that any of the residents there were miserable).

In fact I would go so far to say that I felt the Columbia residents were among the happiest and most outgoing I've seen on the trail.

1. BWH
2. Duke
3. Stanford

Anyone that says Stanford is on par with Duke or BWH for IM training is not familiar with any of these programs. Stanford is "prestigious" for everything except IM residency, and anyone that claims otherwise has no knowledge of the IM training.

If you care at all about being a strong internist, Duke and/or BWH is head and shoulders above Stanford. That being said, it's still a good program and you won't be a bad doctor for going there. If you are set on being at Stanford for fellowship, that may be the best choice for obvious reasons. On the other hand, neither Duke nor BWH are going to eliminate any options for fellowship.

Disagree with this.

As someone mentioned previously the ACGME and other accreditation bodies have put several metrics in place to assure that clinical training is somewhat uniform across most institutions. I think its a little abrasive and ignorant to say "anyone who claims otherwise has no knowledge of the IM training" or "anyone that says Stanford is on par with Duke or BWH for IM training is not familiar with any of these programs". So what, did you do your IM residency at all three of them? How do you know so much about them? I interviewed at 2/3 and have really close friends at both the programs I interviewed at who have given me alot of honest information about the programs. Stanford is still a large academic referral center with 3 hospitals. They have a VA just like everyone else and they have a smaller county hospital that sees a lot of indigent patients. They admit a ton just like every other large academic medical center.

For a long time people have said that the Brigham doesn't produce strong clinicians because they are more focused on innovation, leadership, and creative endeavors outside of the realm of clinical medicine. We have had multiple people come on this site and also disprove that notion. I have no association with Stanford besides the fact that I interviewed there and know close friends who are current residents, but to say they have sub-par IM training is an outdated and largely false notion, especially given the current state of the IM dept (in other words even if this was true decades ago, I dont think it is anymore).

Open to keeping this discussion going...

Looks like you say one bad thing about the Brigham and people come out of the woodwork... not suspicious at all.

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me rank these programs based on strength of clinical training and fellowship opportunities (will be going for something competitive like GI/cards). So far I have it ranked as such from #2 to #9:

2) Henry Ford
3) Rush
4) UCLA Harbor
5) RWJ
6) Wake Forest
7) Temple
8) UT Houston
9) UCLA Olive View

Thanks!

Looks like you say one bad thing about the Brigham and people come out of the woodwork... not suspicious at all.

Give that guy some credit for at least admitting that he was a Brigham resident. Way too many people in this thread shilling for their own programs without even owning up to it.

Super suspicious!!! Or, just backing up assertions with objective facts based on lived experience in the program.... rather than anecdotes and alternative facts:)

As someone who did NOT go to BWH, Duke, or Stanford, I think you'll be fine at any of those places. I didn't go to any of those three places and ended up at one of the best programs for my fellowship specialty. I couldn't have been happier with where I went for residency. The key is to go somewhere with a decent academic reputation where you can be happy and be supported.

Does anyone know how low IM applicants on average fall? Non IMG, borderline/low step one score, would be equally happy with top 3-4, and still pretty happy with top 5?

Great Post, I think everyone who says BWH doesn't train you well clinically is without strong merit. BWH has always had an incredibly strong medicine department, exposure to all the medical specialties. If you go to BWH, the opportunities ARE THERE to make you into the best medicine doctor. But as StyleandSugar said, BWH does attract people who pursue other interests, ie research.etc. Just because they're excellent in research doesn't mean they can't be excellent in clinical training as well. There are few places like BWH (prob MGH and Hopkins) who train residents who eventually go on to become Chiefs of divisions, Chairs...etc.

1. BWH
2. Duke
3. Stanford

The Chair of Medicine and Physician-in-Chief at Hopkins did IM residency at Stanford.

Hi, please help me rank these based on program strength and fellowship opportunities, possibly interested in GI, don't care too much about location but want a good working environment, this is my very tentative list:

1. Uni of Louisville
2. Umass
3. Einstein, Philly
4. East Tennessee State Uni
5. Cook County
6. Medstar Washington
7. University at Buffalo- Sisters charity/catholic health
8. Advocate Christ-UIC
9. Uni of Nevada, Reno

Thank you!

Last edited:
The Chair of Medicine and Physician-in-Chief at Hopkins did IM residency at Stanford.

the stanford PD and celebrated author Abraham Verghese did his IM residency from East Tennessee state University , middle of nowhere in Tennessee. Any takers ?

In response to this deleted post in which it was said that with regards to BWH/Duke/Stanford, Stanford having a hard time with NE programs. Take a look at Duke's match list this year: not a single person went to a NE program outside of NYC: https://medicine.duke.edu/medicinen...program-celebrates-fellowship-match-2016-2017

I was speaking about BWH vs. Stanford match (not Duke), but decided to PM. To be comprehensive and hopefully helpful, here is the summarized match list from this past year for competitive specialties (just because I'm too lazy to summarize all specialties) at each program. Interpret as you will.

Duke
Cardiology - Duke (5), UTSW (1), Iowa (1), Cleveland (2), UAB (1), UNC (1), NYU (1), Michigan (1), Vermont (1), BI (1), Mt Sinai (1), Wash U (1)
Oncology - MD ANderson (1), Duke (1), MSK (1), Oncology (1)
GI - Ohio State (1), Duke (3)
Pulm/Crit Care - Emory (1), Duke (3), NYU (1)

Brigham and Women's Hospital
Cardiology - BWH(3), MGH (1) Duke (1), Stanford (1), Cleveland Clinic (1), Columbia (1), Penn (1), NW (1)

Stanford
Cardiology - Stanford (4), UC Irvine (1), NW (1), Cleveland (1)
Oncology - Stanford (5), UCLA (1)
GI - Stanford (2), UCLA (1), UCSF (1), UWash (1)
Pulmonary - UWash (1)

Last edited:
Nobody will be held back in any meaningful way by training at Stanford, BWH, Duke or any of the dozens of other places that comprise the "Top <X>" programs. This argument, like most on this board, is utterly ridiculous.

Reactions: 6 users
1. BWH
2. Duke
3. Stanford

Stanford resident here. I think an interesting phenomenon that we often seen in these boards is the tendency for people to make blanket generalizations about programs they likely know very little about (see Dunning-Kruger effect). I'm not sure where the above poster got his/her information. Was it from an interview experience? Friends in the program? What specific information led to that conclusion that the poster asserted so confidently as fact? In this era of fake news, we all need to be on high alert :)

Anyway, I can only base my answers mostly on my experience here at Stanford and my experiences interviewing at many of the other programs being mentioned. Also, please keep in mind that ranking programs is a very personal process. This becomes more apparent as you progress in your career and realize that program prestige and match lists start to mean much less when you have a better idea of who you are and what's important to you. I say this only because I was in this spot before and now, looking back, have realized how much I have grown since then.

1) Regional match lists - I have to say that I at the time was concerned about this as well when I was ranking programs. I am not from the west coast and didn't want to get "stuck" out west by going to Stanford, especially if I wanted to match at top ranked fellowships on the east coast. However, after being here for quite some time, it is becoming more and more apparent why people don't want to leave. Maybe it's the culture, being in the bay area with its set of unique opportunities, I dunno, but many of my friends, myself included, gladly chose to stay here over prestigious east coast programs. I know for a fact that my co-residents applying to competitive specialties interviewed across the country. It was really more of them having to convince the fellowship PDs that they would be willing to leave California (and my of them didn't). The ones who did choose to move eastward got their first choices. So in short, I wouldn't worry about it, but I understand it does take a leap of faith, especially if you are not from the west coast. I do warn applicants that there is a high risk of not wanting to leave CA after training at Stanford.

2) Quality of general medicine training - I think that the concerns may be more of vestige from the past, rather than reflecting anything in the last 5-10 years. My impression is that the change came from 1) the growth of Stanford as a clinical center with ever increasing clinical volume, 2) the growth of the hospital medicine division, and 3) the pivot towards emphasis on general medicine by the department. We have a fairly high volume on our wards, with a q2/q3 call schedule that is busier than most other programs. Pathology is very diverse, probably comparable to any other tertiary center. We see a very high number of indigent uninsured/medical patients, so the myth of stanford only catering to rich people is just false. Many of our residents also do go into primary care and hospital medicine. This year, 2/3 of our chiefs are going to be academic hospitalists, which has been more of less consistent with the patterns over the last few years. In fact, getting a job as a Stanford hospitalist is considered harder than matching into a competitive cardiology specialty (and usually reserved for a chief resident). The culture is very heavily focused on education. I would say that one of the best things about being at Stanford is that I'm never afraid to learn. Everyone is very willing to help and teach each other, from the medical intern to the chair of medicine (who usually comes to our morning report once a week). 2x/week during morning report, the resident on the medicine consult service will do a 5-10 min presentation on an interesting paper. Faculty, including Dr. Harrington (the chair of medicine), who is a leading expert on clinical trials, will then discuss the study with residents, which I've found to be an incredible learning experience.

As contrived as it sounds, I think listening to that "gut feeling" really ends up being key. Every program will have strengths and weaknesses. Your success and happiness really ends up depending on who you are as a person and what you do with the opportunities around you. Whatever feeling you had on interview day is probably representative of how you will feel the next 3 years there. Don't take that lightly.

Could anyone help me rank these programs. Location isn't a factor for me and I'm pretty interested in Cardiology.

Emory, Wake Forest, UF-Gainesville, MUSC, Dartmouth, and Mayo-Jacksonville

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.