Official 2015-2016 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster. Torn between Tulane v. Jefferson v. Rush v. Mount Sinai.

I know Sinai is the clear forerunner with reputation but weary of living in NYC. Thoughts on the other 3? Eventual gi hopeful. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ucsf, Duke, mgh, mayo, washu, upenn. Please help. I was set on Duke, but I feel like I want to do general medicine/hospitalist. I like San Fran a lot as a city, besides the cost of living. But I've always wanted to live in Cali because it's beautiful. The people at UCSF are pretty cool and chill! I liked the people at Duke A LOT and they're great if I want to do fellowship.. I'm considering GI, allergy and rheum for fellowship if I got that route. I wouldn't mind living in Durham, it's about the same as the city I go to med school now...They work super hard at Duke.., which kind of scares me. I'm honestly between Duke and UCSF as my top two. Any help or advice would be great! Thanks!

Why do people think Duke residents work harder than other similar places? Is it reputation, or do people know residents that say that? I know it was like that in the past, but I didn't think so anymore. Duke is moving to 4+2 (from 4+1 now) to cover both the 1st and 2nd years. And they have approximately equal wards/ICU call months than other similar programs over the course of 3 years (works out to approximately 9/6/6, slightly less I think), and I didn't see anything that shouted particularly overworked on the interview day. MGH/UCSF don't have block schedules but IIRC they had 1-2 fewer call months over the course of 3 years. Also keep in mind, UCSF is an open ICU and even on the tour, when asked, the residents gave this half-hearted "well...you learn a lot, but ya it sucks". Another thing to keep in mind is that BWH doesn't do overnight 24hr+ shifts IIRC. I think MGH does and I can't remember about UCSF. Depends if you like that or not.

Also with regards to cost, I think UCSF said their salary is about 63k for interns with the 10k bonus, and MGH/BWH were about 60k. Given how much more expensive SF, you'd pretty much have to get a roommate. If you did, compared to MGH/BWH without a roommate, I think it would be approximately equal in price. Durham/Chapel Hill would be far cheaper though, even adjusted for the lower salaries.

Overall, I'd like to hear why people think Duke residents are so overworked. I'm considering ranking Duke highly, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

First time poster. Torn between Tulane v. Jefferson v. Rush v. Mount Sinai.

I know Sinai is the clear forerunner with reputation but weary of living in NYC. Thoughts on the other 3? Eventual gi hopeful. Thanks!!!

Sinai is by far the best on the list. You'd have your best fellowship opportunities coming from there. Jefferson is also a clear #2. Rush=Tulane imo, but big step below sinai. Major step off between Sinai and Jeff then rush and Tulane. Did you have other good programs you're not including here??

Members don't see this ad :)
Sinai is by far the best on the list. You'd have your best fellowship opportunities coming from there. Jefferson is also a clear #2. Rush=Tulane imo, but big step below sinai. Major step off between Sinai and Jeff then rush and Tulane. Did you have other good programs you're not including here??
I completely agree with this assessment and have nothing else to add.

MGH was great, I really was intrigued by the bigelow model of wards. Everyone was super nice there, but there was a bit of a disconnect. Boston is great city, I love the access to public transportation. MGH obviously great program, but seems to be my 3rd just based on how I fit in.

UPENN- very similar feel to Duke as far a workload/program. again people are nice, but a bit of a disconnect. Loved philly as a city

Mayo- Love love love their schedule, everyone nice for the most part (one person did turn me off a bit, but he was well-intentioned I suppose), beautiful hospital. However, the cold... the -20 degrees F kind of boggles my mind (I'm from Houston, TX... the coldest it usually gets in low 30s). Also Rochester is a pain in the butt to travel to and the outside-of-work activities they have to offer aren't really my thing.

WashU- awesome schedule, everyone is nice, st. louis doesn't really scare me as a city (maybe it should, but whatever), so city isn't really a negative to me.

USCF- see above post but, really besides the expense, the city really fits my personality. Cali in general fits my personality. The people are very cool here, and did not have one bad encounter.

Duke- see above post but, I got a long with the people the most here.

Without diving into deep, I would say having similar options my main priorities are: ideal location now, potential desired location (east vs west coast would be the major distinction because general within each coasts it's not difficult to move around), and overall gut feeling. In the end everyone works hard, and just be cautious about where your impression is coming from -- your actual visit vs SDN vs people who have trained or are training there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that BWH doesn't do overnight 24hr+ shifts IIRC. I think MGH does and I can't remember about UCSF. Depends if you like that or not.

We do q3 day 30hr call in the CCU as juniors.

Otherwise, yeah, I agree. Our perceptions of programs are preserved and perseverated in SDN for years. Well past whatever is real now.

I'm an IMG and grateful to have the interviews at these programs, I understand they are all community programs.

I have pretty humble list, all programs are in Internal Medicine except Meharry which is Family Medicine. I would appreciate your input if you know pros and cons of these programs. My assumption is that programs with in-house fellowships are better than the ones with no in-house fellowships.

Location is not an important consideration. In general, overall better program should be number 1 and moving on from there.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks for your time.

Maimonides, Brooklyn, NY
Richmond University Medical Center, State Island, NY
Mather Hospital, Port Jefferson, NY
St. Luke’s Hospital, Chesterfield, MO
Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, MA
Raritan Bay Medical Center, Perth Amboy, NJ
Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN - Family Medicine

Hi everyone. First time poster. Been lurking this cycle. I have been pretty fortunate this cycle. I've interviewed at many places where I could see myself going but can't decide to save my life. Interested in GI.

Baylor (Best "fit", probably lower in reputation compared to ones below)
Emory (Great program, not sure how I will fit in with residents as I missed the interview dinner)
UChicago
UNC
Michigan
Wash U
Case Western
Ohio State

Thanks!

Hey guys

Can someone please give some inputs regarding the rank order list for these programs

UPMC, Mayo, CC, UT Houston, UAB, UConn, UMass, UT Memphis, UAMS

Interested in hem/onc fellowship. Thanks much!

Hey guys

Can someone please give some inputs regarding the rank order list for these programs

Without knowing much about your geographic or research preferences:

I would say UAB, Pitt, Mayo are in their own league. Some people might put UAB above Pitt/Mayo, but I like the latter two more. They are really similar (4+4, research powerhouses, great hospitals). I think the fellowship match is probably equal.

I'm not really sure about the others though, sorry.

Hey guys

If you're interested in heme/onc, a few people at UT Houston fast track to UT MD Anderson every year (I can think of at least 2 in the past few years). The program director and the soon-to-be-next program director both have very, very strong ties with the program and one phone call can be enough to match you. The most recent 2016 heme/onc fellowship list (as I've mentioned in another post): 6/6 matched - MD Anderson x 2, NIH x 1, UCLA x 1, Vanderbilt x 1, Methodist Houston x 1. It's important to remember that MD Anderson is actually accredited through UT Houston and you do a couple rotations through the hospital, so UT Houston is actually a pretty powerful program when it comes to heme/onc. Lifestyle's also pretty great (3+1 or 4+1 I can't remember and the hours are not too bad. The program used to be pretty malignant but the new program director's really been trying to make some drastic lifestyle changes). I would agree that Mayo and UPMC may be bigger names, but if you're interested in heme/onc UT Houston is really nothing to snub your nose at. If it were me and I were interested in heme onc, I would go UPMC/Mayo, UT Houston, UAB/CC, and then the rest (which I honestly have had no experience with so I can't really judge). Obviously though, you're not me so whatever ranking you come up with shouldn't hinder your chances at heme onc too dramatically (you have a great list of programs to choose from!). Congratulations on a fine list of programs!

hey was looking for help with my rank list for top 5. interested in hospitalist or pulmcrit/GI fellowship.

UPMC, Rush, Tulane, Brown, Jefferson

Hey guys

How did you like them?

UPMC/Mayo/UAB
CCF/UTH/UMass
UAMS
UConn/UT-M

Members don't see this ad :)
Which one would you guys rank higher NYU or Case Western? NYU seems to have bigger name and better east coast fellowship match but disadvantage of poor ancillary services and expensive living. Case seems to have a great PD and affordable living. Both seem similar in terms of fellowship match.

Another question is Vanderbilt vs Uchicago. Vanderbilt seems like it has a stronger medicine department, very strong residents and better teaching. Uchicago has a better location, more diverse environment. I'm wondering what you would lose out on going Uchicago over Vandy.

Thanks!

Which one would you guys rank higher NYU or Case Western? NYU seems to have bigger name and better east coast fellowship match but disadvantage of poor ancillary services and expensive living. Case seems to have a great PD and affordable living. Both seem similar in terms of fellowship match.

Another question is Vanderbilt vs Uchicago. Vanderbilt seems like it has a stronger medicine department, very strong residents and better teaching. Uchicago has a better location, more diverse environment. I'm wondering what you would lose out on going Uchicago over Vandy.

Thanks!
If I had to rank those 4 programs (recognizing that, while I applied to all of them, I only interviewed at 2 of them, and it was hojiggity million years ago), I would go with:
UC
Vandy
NYU
Case

If you're a reasonable human being you won't suffer from the training at any of those places.

Hey y'all obviously a throwaway account here. I'm pretty certain about my top 3 programs but they are however quite a bit of a reach for me (coming from a low tier school and nobody has matched to those places for IM from my school over at least 5 yrs). But here are the rest of my rank.

Interested in hem/onc, maybe GI. Please let me know what you think. I appreciate all inputs and advices.

Top 3 then
#4/5 : Maryland vs USC. was more impressed by Maryland on interview day (more friendly residents, smaller program, better PD) but USC seems to have a better fellowship match year in and out. Also worried about how the fact that 60-70% of USC's patients are Spanish speaking will affect my learning
#6: Montefiore (Moses-Weiler)
#7/8/9: Indiana U vs Minnesota vs Bayview: Loved Indiana as a program and the PD but not sure about living there, same with Minnesota (might be a tad too cold). I have reservations about the size of Bayview ( 1. Smaller hospital w/ no transplant patients and probably less acuity given JHU and Maryland, 2. Higher focus on primary care with less residents going into fellowships (50%ish per class vs 70% in most academic places)
#10/11: Rush vs UIC: I think they are both probably interchangeable (Rush has private attendings for many of their hem/onc patients thus leaning toward ranking UIC higher)
#12 Loyola
#13 Temple: PD was blatantly exhibiting favoritism during the interview day which was a real turn-off, plus location of the hospital definitely leaves a lot to be desired
#14 Iowa: loved the program but don't see myself being happy living in such a small town
#15 Tufts: didn't like the 'sub-specialty team' system and during the tour one of the senior was blatantly ignoring one of the two interns who was an IMG (i.e not even introducing him and then pretended like he wasn't even there, it was super awkward and terrible). Disliked it enough that I would rather go to Iowa
#16 G'town: wasn't too impressed by the program with too many hospitals that you have to rotate through, also didn't like their conservative Catholic BS (can't prescribe birth control for its stated purpose, etc) and the fact that you don't do your own admissions. Seems like you do an 'admission only' call Q7days)
# 17 USF
# 18 Wake forest: Can't see myself living here either

Last edited:
How about you don't rank 18 programs seeing as your last 4 programs you can only say bad things about. Do you really think you have a chance at going down to 14 or lower on your list? I guess there's nothing stopping you, but I'm not sure why it's even worth thinking about.

Hey y'all obviously a throwaway account here. I'm pretty certain about my top 3 programs but they are however quite a bit of a reach for me (coming from a low tier school and nobody has matched to those places for IM from my school over at least 5 yrs). But here are the rest of my rank.

Interested in hem/onc, maybe GI. Please let me know what you think. I appreciate all inputs and advices.

Top 3 then
#4/5 : Maryland vs USC. was more impressed by Maryland on interview day (more friendly residents, smaller program, better PD) but USC seems to have a better fellowship match year in and out. Also worried about how the fact that 60-70% of USC's patients are Spanish speaking will affect my learning
#7/8/9: Indiana U vs Minnesota vs Bayview: Loved Indiana as a program and the PD but not sure about living there, same with Minnesota (might be a tad too cold). I have reservations about the size of Bayview ( 1. Smaller hospital w/ no transplant patients and probably less acuity given JHU and Maryland, 2. Higher focus on primary care with less residents going into fellowships (50%ish per class vs 70% in most academic places)
#10/11: Rush vs UIC: I think they are both probably interchangeable (Rush has private attendings for many of their hem/onc patients thus leaning toward ranking UIC higher)
#12 Loyola
#13 Temple: PD was blatantly exhibiting favoritism during the interview day which was a real turn-off, plus location of the hospital definitely leaves a lot to be desired
#14 Iowa: loved the program but don't see myself being happy living in such a small town
#15 Tufts: didn't like the 'sub-specialty team' system and during the tour one of the senior was blatantly ignoring one of the two interns who was an IMG (i.e not even introducing him and then pretended like he wasn't even there, it was super awkward and terrible). Disliked it enough that I would rather go to Iowa
#16 G'town: wasn't too impressed by the program with too many hospitals that you have to rotate through, also didn't like their conservative Catholic BS (can't prescribe birth control for its stated purpose, etc) and the fact that you don't do your own admissions. Seems like you do an 'admission only' call Q7days)
# 17 USF
# 18 Wake forest: Can't see myself living here either

How about you don't rank 18 programs seeing as your last 4 programs you can only say bad things about. Do you really think you have a chance at going down to 14 or lower on your list? I guess there's nothing stopping you, but I'm not sure why it's even worth thinking about.

Eh, no harm in ranking them unless oneanddone would rather soap than go there. Why he or she went on 18 interviews is another question but not relevant at this time. But I agree that the 14-18 order is unimportant.

Reactions: 1 user
Eh, no harm in ranking them unless oneanddone would rather soap than go there. Why he or she went on 18 interviews is another question but not relevant at this time. But I agree that the 14-18 order is unimportant.

The school I go to specifically has an office of academic affairs. One of their jobs is to advise M4s on how to match. The advice we were given this year (for IM applicants) was to apply to 40-50 programs, and to go on 15-20 interviews. And that wasn't just advice given to bad applicants. Most people I know applying to IM in my class followed that advice. While on the trail, I ran in to a lot of other students whose advisors gave them the same advice this year.

The school I go to specifically has an office of academic affairs. One of their jobs is to advise M4s on how to match. The advice we were given this year (for IM applicants) was to apply to 40-50 programs, and to go on 15-20 interviews. And that wasn't just advice given to bad applicants. Most people I know applying to IM in my class followed that advice. While on the trail, I ran in to a lot of other students whose advisors gave them the same advice this year.

Insanity. I could get on board with a rec of 12 IVs to ensure a match (Which it Absolutely will if you are an amg with average scores and no red flags) and do more if you are curious/interested, but don't feel like you need to.

But the way this works is that perception will become reality as programs interview more and more appLicants in response to applicants going on more IVs, so soon you WILL need to go on more interviews to ruinous expense for all parties.

Reactions: 1 users
Without knowing much about your geographic or research preferences:

I would say UAB, Pitt, Mayo are in their own league. Some people might put UAB above Pitt/Mayo, but I like the latter two more. They are really similar (4+4, research powerhouses, great hospitals). I think the fellowship match is probably equal.

I'm not really sure about the others though, sorry.
Thanks much! From Boston but no geographical preferences as such. Interested in solid tumors.

With UAB, I interviewed for the 6.5 year combined IM/hem-onc track. But I am not sure how good their hem/onc fellowship is compared to other big places like MDACC and MSKCC and so the 6.5 years does close doors to some of those options. I agree with Pitt=Mayo; both great programs though Pittsburgh is probably the better city among the lot.

Last edited:
If you're interested in heme/onc, a few people at UT Houston fast track to UT MD Anderson every year (I can think of at least 2 in the past few years). The program director and the soon-to-be-next program director both have very, very strong ties with the program and one phone call can be enough to match you. The most recent 2016 heme/onc fellowship list (as I've mentioned in another post): 6/6 matched - MD Anderson x 2, NIH x 1, UCLA x 1, Vanderbilt x 1, Methodist Houston x 1. It's important to remember that MD Anderson is actually accredited through UT Houston and you do a couple rotations through the hospital, so UT Houston is actually a pretty powerful program when it comes to heme/onc. Lifestyle's also pretty great (3+1 or 4+1 I can't remember and the hours are not too bad. The program used to be pretty malignant but the new program director's really been trying to make some drastic lifestyle changes). I would agree that Mayo and UPMC may be bigger names, but if you're interested in heme/onc UT Houston is really nothing to snub your nose at. If it were me and I were interested in heme onc, I would go UPMC/Mayo, UT Houston, UAB/CC, and then the rest (which I honestly have had no experience with so I can't really judge). Obviously though, you're not me so whatever ranking you come up with shouldn't hinder your chances at heme onc too dramatically (you have a great list of programs to choose from!). Congratulations on a fine list of programs!
Thanks much for the inputs. I did hear a lot about the MDACC rotations and fellowship placements from UTH esp last year (2). But considering MDACC is starting its own IM residency this year in collaboration with Baylor, I do believe those numbers may take a hit. As an IM training program, I thought CC>UTH ; but I agree with you regarding the hem/onc prospects from UTH.

How did you like them?

UPMC/Mayo/UAB
CCF/UTH/UMass
UAMS
UConn/UT-M

Thanks for the reply. Loved all the top three; excellent programs , great residents and wealth of research opportunities. Probably Pitt=Mayo >UAB. But still confused about the rest. I am thinking in terms of IM training and hem/onc opportunities; no geographic preferences. In my head, for IM, CC>UTH=UMass >UT-M>UAMS=Uconn. Would you agree? Also how would you consider the hem/ onc chances from these programs? No geographical preferences as such but if programs are pretty similar, then I will rather stay in North-east/Mid-west as have friends and family there. Thanks!

Last edited:

Yeah, I did realize later on that it was silly going on so many interviews but as you mentioned no harm in ranking them now. They are still solid programs that I would rather end up at rather than SOAP. Ignoring ranks >12, what do you guys think about the programs below?

#7/8/9: Indiana U vs Minnesota vs Bayview: Loved Indiana as a program and the PD but not sure about living there, same with Minnesota (might be a tad too cold). I have reservations about the size of Bayview ( 1. Smaller hospital w/ no transplant patients and probably less acuity, 2. Higher focus on primary care
#10/11: Rush vs UIC: I think they are both probably interchangeable ? (Rush has private attendings for many of their hem/onc patients thus leaning toward ranking UIC higher)

Hello everyone. I have been getting quite a lot of questions about Henry Ford Internal Medicine residency program. I am writing this post to help people make their ranking list. HENRY FORD IS AN ABUSIVE RESIDENCY PROGRAM WITH NO REGARD FOR ITS RESIDENTS. If you rank this program high, you will end up regretting every single minute of those 3 years as they will make you miserable. I would strongly advise against ranking it high (or even ranking it at all). I also have a separate post on this forum discussing my residency experience. I still regret it to this day. I had so much potential as a resident and they destroyed it. The way this program is structured, it is designed to demote academia. It is a terrible place to do internal medicine.

Hey everyone, first time poster as well and would really appreciate helping me rank. I'm an Canadian IMG so I have a slight preference to the northeast. Also possibly interested in Pulm/Crit Care fellowship afterwards. It's a somewhat diverse list of programs, so any input at all would be really appreciated!

SUNY Upstate - Tied with U Conn as my top choices. Really liked the program director, seems like a great choice.
U Conn- Again, tied with SUNY upstate, liked the program director, really don't know which to go with at #1
Rutgers-NJMS - Liked the program, but not thrilled about working in Newark..
Albany Med Center
Norwalk Med Center -
It's a smaller community program, but you rotations at Yale are built into the curriculum, got a good vibe from the residents and free housing is a really nice perk.
William Beaumont
Medstar/Washington Hospital Center
Case Western/Metrohealth
- Is part of the iCompare trial and in the experimental arm, meaning there are 30hr calls..
Winthrop Uni Hosp
Rochester Gen Hosp
Morristown Med Center
St. Barnabas (NJ)
NYU Lutheran Med Center
Roger Williams Med Center
Pinnacle Health Hosp
Bassett Medical Center
Seton Hall University/Trinitas Med Center
- Probably won't rank
Woodhull Med Center - Probably won't rank

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, first time poster as well and would really appreciate helping me rank. I'm an Canadian IMG so I have a slight preference to the northeast. Also possibly interested in Pulm/Crit Care fellowship afterwards. It's a somewhat diverse list of programs, so any input at all would be really appreciated!

SUNY Upstate - Tied with U Conn as my top choices. Really liked the program director, seems like a great choice.
U Conn- Again, tied with SUNY upstate, liked the program director, really don't know which to go with at #1
Rutgers-NJMS - Liked the program, but not thrilled about working in Newark..
Albany Med Center
Norwalk Med Center -
It's a smaller community program, but you rotations at Yale are built into the curriculum, got a good vibe from the residents and free housing is a really nice perk.
William Beaumont
Medstar/Washington Hospital Center
Case Western/Metrohealth
- Is part of the iCompare trial and in the experimental arm, meaning there are 30hr calls..
Winthrop Uni Hosp
Rochester Gen Hosp
Morristown Med Center
St. Barnabas (NJ)
NYU Lutheran Med Center
Roger Williams Med Center
Pinnacle Health Hosp
Bassett Medical Center
Seton Hall University/Trinitas Med Center
- Probably won't rank
Woodhull Med Center - Probably won't rank

Thanks in advance!

I'm curious about what you thought about Bassett. A friend interviewed and insisted there was no way in hell she would rank it.

Really wasn't a fan of the program, Cooperstown is a really small town in the middle of nowhere so you won't have a social life or good patient pathology. The schedule is strange as they work 6-6 daily (with no call). The residents seemed nice enough though. The program really didn't have to much going for it, but at least they paid for the B&B during the interview. Might not rank them either since they're so far away from any major city which the wife needs for her work.

I would like help in ranking these programs for categorical Internal Medicine. My goal is Cardiology for fellowships. Location - no preference. Visa - I'm an FMG that needs a visa, but no preference regarding H1 or J1 - can go for either of the two. My current rank list is as follows -

1) Saint luke roosevelt hospital
2) maimonides medical center
3) cook county hospital
4) advocate illinois masonic medical center
5) saint vincent hospital, worcester
6) university of illinois, urbana-champaign
7) the wright center, Scranton, PA
8) saint barnabas, livingston, NJ
9) sinai grace hospital (detroit medical center)
10) university of south dakota
11) Howard university hospital
12) medstar harbor hospital, baltimore
13) presence st joseph hospital
14) presence st francis hospital
15) university of buffalo catholic health system
16) Unity hospital, rochester
17) Monmouth medical center
18) Conemaugh memorial medical center
19) Greater baltimore medical center
20) University of maryland medical center, midtown campus
21) Macneal hospital

Last edited:
Hi everyone. First time poster. Been lurking this cycle. I have been pretty fortunate this cycle. I've interviewed at many places where I could see myself going but can't decide to save my life. Interested in GI.

Baylor (Best "fit", probably lower in reputation compared to ones below)
Emory (Great program, not sure how I will fit in with residents as I missed the interview dinner)
UChicago
UNC
Michigan
Wash U
Case Western
Ohio State

Thanks!
Michigan
Wash U
U Chicago
Baylor
Emory
Unc
Case
Ohio state

That advice makes absolutely no sense, sorry that you actually went on that many interviews.

Hey guys,

If you wouldn't mind throwing in your two sense. I'm heavily interested in GI. Here is my list currently.

1. Wright state
2. UChicago Northshore
3. Advocate Lutheran
4. Riverside - Columbus
5. St Vincent's - Indy

Much appreciated.

Hello all,

I'm actually a Med-Peds applicant, so my situation is a bit different. I have a good idea of how my programs fall in terms of pediatric training, but because I'm an academic type I have been told that IM caliber may be important for me when it comes down to fellowship. I'm hoping to apply to ID or global health fellowships (combined adult and pediatric), nothing overwhelmingly competitive. I've listed my programs in terms of how I perceive their strength of IM training - does this look accurate? Obviously a lot more than this is going into my rank list, but some insight would be helpful as I continue to obsess.

-Vanderbilt
-Colorado
-UAB

-Rochester
-Indiana
-Maryland
-UCSD
-Minnesota

-Tulane
-Cincinnati
-Miami
-VCU

Hey all really need some advice. Location doesn't matter to me, looking for strongest program to open all possible doors for GI fellowships.

Current rank and thoughts:

1. NYU - Enjoy the city atmosphere but expensive to live there. Seems to be strong program turning out well-trained residents.
2. Dartmouth - Very friendly residents, strong program which deserves its ivy league rep.
3. Brown - same as above
4. Vermont - Surprisingly strong program with family-like atmosphere
5. Yale - Had the hardest time ranking this one since I was initially excited to interview here because of the name - had an average/slightly above average interview day and New Haven is close to family. However, my chair and PD and a few other faculty I know at other institutions told me that Yale IM is in free-fall and is not stronger than other programs on my list and in the future could be seen as inferior to put me at a disadvantage for fellowships. Heard this from multiple people, which is why I'm putting it here. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Thank you, let me know if this seems out of order.

Hey all really need some advice. Location doesn't matter to me, looking for strongest program to open all possible doors for GI fellowships.

1. NYU - Enjoy the city atmosphere but expensive to live there. Seems to be strong program turning out well-trained residents.
2. Dartmouth - Very friendly residents, strong program which deserves its ivy league rep.
3. Brown - same as above
5. Yale - Had the hardest time ranking this one since I was initially excited to interview here because of the name - had an average/slightly above average interview day and New Haven is close to family. However, my chair and PD and a few other faculty I know at other institutions told me that Yale IM is in free-fall and is not stronger than other programs on my list and in the future could be seen as inferior to put me at a disadvantage for fellowships. Heard this from multiple people, which is why I'm putting it here. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Is this based on any tangibles or just gut feeling of these faculty? Yale is a research powerhouse with incredible faculty. None of the other ones comes close. I wonder what it is about their inpatient training that can be so horrible. They also seem to match very well. I would rank:

1/2. NYU or Yale
3. Dartmouth
4. Brown
5. Vermont

Hey guys

strictly for oncology..
Mayo > UAB=UPMC=CC. If UTH gets you access to MD Anderson, it would be solid as well. Please do keep in mind that MD Anderson is run more like a private hospital, and is very different from lot of the academic powerhouses. A great thing about Mayo would be access to all the clinical researchers in divisions of hematology/oncology that could help you develop your CV. The overall atmosphere may be most nurturing there; especially for specialties that involve cognitive training only (no procedural skills) Mayo can not be beat.
UPMC is also a research powerhouse.
Traditionally the strong specialties at UAB have been ID, cardiology, rheumatology and nephrology. Don't know how strong oncology is.

3. Brown - same as above

I think Yale is it its own league on this list, not sure why you've heard that. All there residents who matched into GI this year went to top tier programs, same can't be said about the other places.

1. Yale
2. Dartmouth/Brown
3. NYU
5. Vermont

Last edited:
Need a little help. Planning on going into Heme/Onc but Primary Care is a close second (I have a family and may decide I don't want to do addl training after residency). Preference for the East Coast but ultimately looking for best fit. Here's the prelim list:

1) Maryland
2) Dartmouth
3) Temple
4) Brown categorical
5) Vermont (loved the program, Heme/onc seemed weak though)
6) Univ New Mexico (liked the program culture, location fair, new NCI compreh. center designation meaning more money and fellowship spots, bigger names)
7) UMiami/Jackson Memorial (wife really wants me to go here to be close to family, but I didn't love the program)
8) Brown primary care (great program, lower chance of ending up in Heme/Onc though)
9) USC (liked the program, wife not a fan of LA)
10) NS/LIJ (not a huge fan of NYC/long island)
11) UConn
12) Arizona

Happy for any advice!
Specifically, not sure about the best order of New Mexico, Miami, Brown primary care....)

Thanks!

Thank you for your response. What you say is very intriguing. I am at a small medical school near Yale and my PD and chair who are very familiar with the program tell me the clinical training at Yale is weak and their academic reputation is slipping and really suffering lately. As a female interested in GI I am already fighting an uphill battle and don't want to make it worse by compromising my training and fellowship opportunity. This may seem rediculous but I take it very seriously. NYU on the other hand ia universally praised. Thank you for your reply I will begin to do more research into this
I think Yale is it it
I think Yale is it its own league on this list, not sure why you've heard that. All there residents who matched into GI this year went to top tier programs, same can't be said about the other places.

1. Yale
2. Dartmouth/Brown
3. NYU
5. Vermont

Thank you for your response. What you say is very intriguing. I am at a small medical school near Yale and my PD and chair who are very familiar with the program tell me the clinical training at Yale is weak and their academic reputation is slipping and really suffering lately. As a female interested in GI I am already fighting an uphill battle and don't want to make it worse by compromising my training and fellowship opportunity. This may seem rediculous but I take it very seriously. NYU on the other hand ia universally praised. Thank you for your reply I will begin to do more research into this

I think Yale is a pretty good institution that will place you well in GI as I personally know one person who went through it and did well. However I agree that their name and reputation helps them out a lot; their clinical training is probably not any better than a lot of other less "name" programs.

Need a little help. Planning on going into Heme/Onc but Primary Care is a close second (I have a family and may decide I don't want to do addl training after residency). Preference for the East Coast but ultimately looking for best fit. Here's the prelim list:

1) Maryland
2) Dartmouth
3) Temple
4) Brown categorical
5) Vermont (loved the program, Heme/onc seemed weak though)
6) Univ New Mexico (liked the program culture, location fair, new NCI compreh. center designation meaning more money and fellowship spots, bigger names)
7) UMiami/Jackson Memorial (wife really wants me to go here to be close to family, but I didn't love the program)
8) Brown primary care (great program, lower chance of ending up in Heme/Onc though)
9) USC (liked the program, wife not a fan of LA)
10) NS/LIJ (not a huge fan of NYC/long island)
11) UConn
12) Arizona

Happy for any advice!
Specifically, not sure about the best order of New Mexico, Miami, Brown primary care....)

Thanks!

Your list seems solid. No major changes. Your top four are all excellent.

Reactions: 1 user

yale/nyu
darmouth
brown
vermont

its your loss if you don't want to rank yale highly. i bet your pd/chair applied to yale and got rejected... j/k kinda.

how is it an uphill battle as a female? applying to GI.

Hey guys,

If you wouldn't mind throwing in your two sense. I'm heavily interested in GI. Here is my list currently.

1. Wright state
2. UChicago Northshore
3. Advocate Lutheran
4. Riverside - Columbus
5. St Vincent's - Indy

Much appreciated.

Actually in same position as you. I didn't like Wright State as much as the 2 Chicago programs you have. Personally, I would put Wright at 3rd and keep the list as it is.

Thank y
yale/nyu
darmouth
brown
vermont

its your loss if you don't want to rank yale highly. i bet your pd/chair applied to yale and got rejected... j/k kinda.

how is it an uphill battle as a female? applying to GI.

Thank you for the information about Yale. I think my PD and chair were just looking out for me but perhaps they are mistaken.

As far as asking how it is an uphill battle applying to GI as a female: if you have to ask the question, in all seriousness I recommend that you check your privilege.

Hello all,

I'm actually a Med-Peds applicant, so my situation is a bit different. I have a good idea of how my programs fall in terms of pediatric training, but because I'm an academic type I have been told that IM caliber may be important for me when it comes down to fellowship. I'm hoping to apply to ID or global health fellowships (combined adult and pediatric), nothing overwhelmingly competitive. I've listed my programs in terms of how I perceive their strength of IM training - does this look accurate? Obviously a lot more than this is going into my rank list, but some insight would be helpful as I continue to obsess.

-Vanderbilt
-Colorado
-UAB

-Rochester
-Indiana
-Maryland
-UCSD
-Minnesota

-Tulane
-Cincinnati
-Miami
-VCU
Solid. I only interviewed at your top two, but both are great for medicine. You could maybe swap around some of your #4-8 based on perceived program strength but really just go on how you liked them.

Interested in cardiology. Need help ranking the following:

UVA
UNC
UAB
Emory
Wake Forest
Case
MUSC
Wisconsin
Baylor
Tulane
MCG
tOSU
Florida
Louisville

I am interested in PCCM or Cards. I would be interested in opinions about the strength of these programs for fellowship.

This is how I am currently ranking them:
1) Mayo FL
2) Rush: Interested to hear opinions on Rush vs UIC
3) Montefiore M/W
4) Wake Forest
5) UIC
6) MUSC
7) USF
8) MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.