Official 2015-2016 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medstudent7860

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Start of the 2016 Help Me Rank thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are your guys' thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of these programs/how would you rank them: UVA, Case, Penn State, Temple, Jefferson. Interested in GI for fellowship

What are your guys' thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of these programs/how would you rank them: UVA, Case, Penn State, Temple, Jefferson. Interested in GI for fellowship

I'd say UVA >> Temple> TJ=Case > Penn state. UVA send tons of applications to GI programs + temple has a great GI department

Members don't see this ad :)

UVA has the best name of the lot. Jeff, Temple, and Case are probably equivalent in that regard although Jeff has a phenomenal fellowship and take a lot in house. Hershey is a little lower tier but the residents are happy - not sure about its fellowship prospects though.

Thanks for all the info so far! Anyone willing to take a go at ranking these? And any info on Cleveland Clinic and Dartmouth?

-Mayo in Rochester
-Rush
-UPMC
-U of Iowa
-Baylor
-Loyola
-Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland
-Dartmouth
-U of Minnesota
-U of Cincinnati
-U of Indiana

I went to Rush, UPMC, Loyola, Mayo, UMinn so far. Loved UMinn the most out of the group; hated Mayo, luke-warm on Rush, loved Loyola.

My personal rank list would look like this:

UMinn
Loyola
UPMC
UIowa
UCincy
Indiana
Rush
CC
Dartmouth
Mayo
Baylor (hate Texas)

My personal biases are helping underserved populations and engaging in QI projects as well looking at H/O vs. Cards, so my list is skewed towards those priorities. I'm a midwestern girl as well who is looking to stay within the MW.

Why didn't you like Mayo? I meant ranking based on prestige/how good of a program it is but thank you, appreciate the feedback! :)

big emphasis on research (3 pubs is the average), in my view fellow/attending heavy program, model of healthcare not something I particularly value (eg referral heavy, zebras, less commitment to underserved).

the name is huge and you won't hurt for fellowships, but it's not something I want to participate in personally.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to Rush, UPMC, Loyola, Mayo, UMinn so far. Loved UMinn the most out of the group; hated Mayo, luke-warm on Rush, loved Loyola.

My personal rank list would look like this:

UMinn
Loyola
UPMC
UIowa
UCincy
Indiana
Rush
CC
Dartmouth
Mayo
Baylor (hate Texas)

My personal biases are helping underserved populations and engaging in QI projects as well looking at H/O vs. Cards, so my list is skewed towards those priorities. I'm a midwestern girl as well who is looking to stay within the MW.

Your rank looks pretty good. I will IV at Loyola next week, what did you like the most about this program??
Good Luck!

1. UPMC =Mayo
2. Uiowa = IU =Baylor
3. Dart = Loy = Rush = Minn
4. CC

Reactions: 1 users
1. UPMC =Mayo
2. Uiowa = IU =Baylor
4. CC

upmc>Mayo=Baylor>Minn=IU=UIowa >Rush=Loyla
Darthmouth and CC i have no idea

If ranked by Rep thats how I'd do it

Reactions: 2 users
big emphasis on research (3 pubs is the average), in my view fellow/attending heavy program, model of healthcare not something I particularly value (eg referral heavy, zebras, less commitment to underserved).

the name is huge and you won't hurt for fellowships, but it's not something I want to participate in personally.
3 pubs during residency or prior to starting residency?

Last edited:
i thought the program was fairly impressive but those were my same feelings as well. not sure what to make of the program really; not sure what to make of any program really. not really getting a bad vibe from most places but no program has really stuck out and said "this is the one".

whole process is really frustrating.

anyways OT; anyone have any insight on OSU, especially someone aiming for cards/heme-onc? seems like a fairly strong program for both with dedicated units to each but again, low turnout on pre-interview dinner and interview day by residents. training seems pretty intense but their fellowship match list is pretty good IMO.

re: colorado. I spent had unstructured question time with only 1 resident--the chief. she said one of the chief's initiatives was to change the night admission system so their teams didn't get so slammed. i met no interns, talked differential diagnosis with a resident at noon conference but that's all. i went to an extra dinner and no residents showed. lots to be impressed by but also lots to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your rank looks pretty good. I will IV at Loyola next week, what did you like the most about this program??
Good Luck!

big hospital, lots of pathology, good fellowship placement, commitment to underserved population. ambivalent on the whole catholic thing especially regarding contraception, but the rest of the program really impressed me because you come out a clinical rockstar because of how much they work you and the pathology you see.

3 pubs during residency or prior to starting residency?
during residency. i interviewed there with essentially no research.

1. UPMC =Mayo
2. Uiowa = IU =Baylor
4. CC

I'm interviewing at many of these places, and I think this most resembles my ranking. I'm not interviewing at Pittsburgh, though. I think this is how I'd do it:

1. Pitt = Mayo = Baylor (Though I wouldn't rank it here in my personal rank list, I think it's on par.)
2. Minn = Dartmouth
3. Loyola = Rush = Iowa = IU
4. CC

All great places to train, but ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.

Personal opinion, but I think Baylor is way over-rated, and Iowa and Minn are relatively unrated (definitely above Rush and Loyola though).

How would you rank:
UNC, UVA, Jefferson, Case Western, Brown, Ohio St, Maryland, VCU, Tulane

And on a similar note.... How would you rank Brown, VCU, Wake, Georgetown, Minnesota, MUSC

And on a similar note.... How would you rank Brown, VCU, Wake, Georgetown, Minnesota, MUSC
I've been at some of these places.

Academically speaking, I'd say Brown => OSU = UMinn > VCU = Wake = MUSC = Georgetown. This may vary depending on your specific specialty interests.

How would you rank:
Loved UNC and UVA (besides UvA PD). Liked Ohio state a lot.
I'd say choose between osu, uva, unc and case based on where you looked more. Unless you loved one of the others-- they're all solid.

How would you rank:

VCU, Tulane, Jeff, Maryland, are all excellent programs. I really liked all of them. Rank based on what's the best fit for you.

I've been at some of these places.

Academically speaking, I'd say Brown => OSU = UMinn > VCU = Wake = MUSC = Georgetown. This may vary depending on your specific specialty interests.

This is probably how I'd rank it, but below there are other ranking schemes that put brown lower and other places higher. It's intensely personal, and go with whatever factors matter to you, including location. All of these programs will provide excellent training.

How would you rank:
tOSU=UNC
UVA, UMD
The rest

Not a bad list at all, despite the fact that you appear to think the edge of the planet is at or near the banks of the Ohio River.

Hi all,
How would you rank the following programs?: DHMC, CCF Ohio, UT San Antonio, Houston Methodist, AECOM Jacobi, AE Philly, Saint Luke's Roosevelt and U of Arkansas.
I have no geographic preference or visa preference (although I do need one).
Care mostly about good fellowship placement in Hem/Onc (i suppose research goes into this) and then about clinical training ofc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Most important to me: friendly/warm program w/minimal egos, sharp/hard-working/chill co-residents, primarily resident-driven services, fellowship match possibly to GI (but maybe Card or ID)

Rank pls: Stanford, NW, UofChicago, UNC, UVA, UWashington, UWisconsin, Vandy, Baylor, Yale, BIDMC, UCLA, UMichigan, Duke, UCSD, Wash U

Thanks!

How would you rank:

I don't know enough about Brown or Tulane. Honestly I haven't come into contact with anyone trained at Brown for IM. Perhaps that is because people really want to stay in the northeast. Perhaps for another reason. I don't think either of these is on the same level as UVA or UNC.

UVA ~UNC > others are similar just depends on where you want to go (OSU, Maryland, VCU, Jeff, case )

Most important to me: friendly/warm program w/minimal egos, sharp/hard-working/chill co-residents, primarily resident-driven services, fellowship match possibly to GI (but maybe Card or ID)
I'm just going to say that the above bolded part, followed by:
Rank pls: Stanford, NW, UofChicago, UNC, UVA, UWashington, UWisconsin, Vandy, Baylor, Yale, BIDMC, UCLA, UMichigan, Duke, UCSD, Wash U
Cracks me up.

Wisco
UCSD
UVA
The rest (if the bolded is really important)

I'm just going to say that the above bolded part, followed by:

Cracks me up.

Wisco
UCSD
UVA
The rest (if the bolded is really important)

But they all promised me on interview day that they were down-to-earth and friendly.

I assume they told you that while you were touring the unicorn ranches at each of those places.

Sadly most programs delegate the unicorn ranch work to mid-levels these days.

Do you have a take on my list? Ignore the "minimal egos" part if it makes it easier to sort. Feel free to PM me.

Do you have a take on my list? Ignore the "minimal egos" part if it makes it easier to sort. Feel free to PM me.
Pick the one you liked the most and put it first. Then pick the one that you liked 2nd best and rank it 2nd. Continue until you run out of places you'd be willing to go.

But I'd still rank Wisconsin first.

But he hasn't lost his passion for Bennett Vogelman. That is what really matters.

Reactions: 7 users

You should rank based on location and the types of patients you'd like to serve, those are going to be the biggest differences between those places.

Dude. If Dr. Vogelman were the PD of medicine in Syria, I'd consider training there. If he were the PD of a residency that paid nothing I would consider that also. If he were the PD of a specialty I cannot imagine ever liking, like Plastic Surgery, I would consider it for him, with the confidence that he had found something worthy in it. He is that cool...

But he hasn't lost his passion for Bennett Vogelman. That is what really matters.

Reactions: 2 users
Looking for some input on UCSD vs UCLA.. Haven't decided on specialty and general medicine is still on the table (both hospitalist and primary care) so I am looking for someplace that will give me strong training overall. Would love to stay in california afterwards but also have the option to go to the east coast. On interview day both programs seemed responsive to feedback with happy residents who work hard. Am wondering if there are any substantial differences that I am missing..?

Any thoughts on RWJ vs. Emory vs. Temple vs. Maryland vs Penn State Hershey vs. Stony Brook?
Liked all the programs .... but all had their pros and cons.

Can't find fellowship match lists for some of these places. Leaning towards a cards or ID fellowship, or maybe a global health track. You could say I'm very undecided ....

Any thoughts on RWJ vs. Emory vs. Temple vs. Maryland vs Penn State Hershey vs. Stony Brook?

Can't find fellowship match lists for some of these places. Leaning towards a cards or ID fellowship, or maybe a global health track. You could say I'm very undecided ....

emory at the top. i'd say maryland, rwj, and temple are all similar enough. rwj for onc. temple for gi. maryland for pulm crit

Hi guys, I need your advice. Loyola vs Cleveland Clinic OH. Interested in Pulm/CC in the future
Thanks!

Last edited:
Having a hard time picking here. Hoping you guys could help. RWJ vs. Stony Brook vs. Jeff. I'm a GI hopeful.

If you go by Doximity Jeff is HIGH up, but who knows how trustworthy that even is. I'm interviewing there Monday. I'm a Jersey boy so I liked RWJ a lot, but Stony Brook gave me magic feels, which might be confounded by the fact that it was my second interview. Also, the RWJ resident told me Jeff's residents go in at some ridiculously early times, like general surgery ridiculous, while RWJ has a "hard" start of 7am. Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance for the help

I'd go with rwj or Jeff depending on which program you like more. these programs are comparable , but jeff imo has a stronger GI department than rwj

Hi all,
How would you rank the following programs?: DHMC, CCF Ohio, UT San Antonio, Houston Methodist, AECOM Jacobi, AE Philly, Saint Luke's Roosevelt and U of Arkansas.
I have no geographic preference or visa preference (although I do need one).
Care mostly about good fellowship placement in Hem/Onc (i suppose research goes into this) and then about clinical training ofc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bumping cause I still need help

Having a hard time picking here. Hoping you guys could help. RWJ vs. Stony Brook vs. Jeff. I'm a GI hopeful.

If you go by Doximity Jeff is HIGH up, but who knows how trustworthy that even is. I'm interviewing there Monday. I'm a Jersey boy so I liked RWJ a lot, but Stony Brook gave me magic feels, which might be confounded by the fact that it was my second interview. Also, the RWJ resident told me Jeff's residents go in at some ridiculously early times, like general surgery ridiculous, while RWJ has a "hard" start of 7am. Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance for the help

Doximity rankings are junk, in my opinion.

Jefferson is by and large probably one of the best mid tier programs to go to if you want to match GI. Their residency is pretty workhorse heavy on the residents but not malignant. RWJ is fine as well, though much smaller. The "start times" depend a lot on how efficient you are in the mornings, which change as you go through residency.

Stony Brook is I don't think quite at their level. That being said the residents seemed quite content.

RWJ, Maryland, and Emory all do excellently for cards and ID. Emory has a CDC affiliation which makes it particularly a great ID place and Maryland has an excellent ID fellowship as well - the IHV there is great for research. Both are phenomenal cards programs though Emory is a bit more "prestigious" (to be fair, it is where coronary angioplasty was invented).

How would you rank the following to match into GI. Also in general are all of these places in the same tier?

Dartmouth, BU, Jefferson, Case, Baylor, Iowa, Utah

Advice please..
Rheum or Hem/Onc interest.
Interviews @ Staten Island, Winthrop, Riverside Methodist OH, Greenville/USC, Palmetto Health/USC,
LSU Baton Rouge, LSU Shreveport, Ochsner, Carilion Clinic VA, Univ of South Alabama, Univ of Mississippi,
UF Jacksonville, UAB Montgomery, USF.
How to Rank them? Which would be top 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.