USMLE Official 2014 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exudate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the changes going on, I think it is a good time to start a new thread and keep all the scores and experiences organized in one thread. Similar thread was really helpful for step 1, so I am hoping this one will be equally great and helpful to all.

Good luck to all the Step 2 CK'ers in 2014!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that TSH is done first. But if the nodule/mass is cold, don't you do a FNA next before the ultrasound? It's like what Goljan had said: the ultrasound can tell you cystic vs non-cystic, but can't determine anything about malignant vs benign.
You're right, but the ultrasound can also tell you if the nodule is really solitary, so that you can FNA the dominant nodule.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/thyroid-nodule-management.1014206/#post-14167877

To be clear, do an FNA if TSH is normal/high. Ultrasound is more appropriate for benign nodules before surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I have a question about doing additional Qbanks or question books. I did UW (about 2-3 times) and Kaplan Qbank (once). I even did UW step 3 Qbank (about 60% done).
You might think that I am crazy that I tried Step 3 Qbank, but I only did it to familiarize myself with longer question stems. I think it's helpful to a point because there are a lot of repeated concepts. I ignore everything that's too detailed or seem to go beyond the scope of Step 2.
My goal is to get 245+. (I got 230 on Step One). I am planning to take the test in a month or so.
I will take my NBME 6 tomorrow to see where I am.

Anybody tried Rx? Is that Qbank worth doing?

Hey guys,

I have a question about doing additional Qbanks or question books. I did UW (about 2-3 times) and Kaplan Qbank (once). I even did UW step 3 Qbank (about 60% done).
You might think that I am crazy that I tried Step 3 Qbank, but I only did it to familiarize myself with longer question stems. I think it's helpful to a point because there are a lot of repeated concepts. I ignore everything that's too detailed or seem to go beyond the scope of Step 2.
My goal is to get 245+. (I got 230 on Step One). I am planning to take the test in a month or so.
I will take my NBME 6 tomorrow to see where I am.

Anybody tried Rx? Is that Qbank worth doing?

I'm almost through Rx for 2CK. I think it's OK, but not great. There is a higher proportion of poor questions/explanations relative to their Step1 QBank. I'd say do Rx just to gain additional foundation, but it's not the end of the world if you don't make time for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I'm a DO student very unhappy with my COMLEX level 2 exam score report. I have the permit for step 2 about to expire at the end of this month. I just finished an audition rotation last week. I took the UWSA the end of June and got a 221.

Today, I thought I would go ahead and do it again since nothing else really compares. I didn't remember many questions so it was ok in terms of avoiding recall bias lol....but I got the same score. I have been getting around 54-55% on my last few blocks of Uworld as well.

I was wondering if you guys were in my shoes, would you take the exam, I'm going to be happy with a passing score. Or is there too much of a buffer to risk failure?

Congratulations on the amazing score!! do you feel the exam resembled more nbme or uworld?

Thank you! Sorry for the delayed response! To answer your questions, it was a bit of both nbme and uworld for me. I thought nbme was slightly easier, while uworld was slightly harder.

Well looks like they were very serious about September 24th...I took my exam August 20th and haven't heard of anyone getting a score. I thought they might just be giving themselves a buffer week, but no dice

Well looks like they were very serious about September 24th...I took my exam August 20th and haven't heard of anyone getting a score. I thought they might just be giving themselves a buffer week, but no dice
I took it 08/04. I forgot about it for 4 weeks but now as im past 7 weeks of waiting it is officially the worst most inhumane wait ever and every day I get more nervous about what they are doing with our exams!

man that really sucks. is this delay a one-time thing or are they planning on extended out the reporting schedule for all exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW phloston what sections are you doing from mtb step 3 or the entire thing?

I read the whole thing (both MTB-2 and -3). But I can't technically vouch for what's good or bad at this stage because I'm 3 months out from my exam and am still seeking the advice of others as well.

The only thing I can vouch for is that having read MTB-3 was a better use of time than having read FA 2CK. The latter was a bomb.

Hey guys,
Sorry to be out of tune. I wish to take my step 2 ck before my step 1 exam. I have read step 2 syllabus for my final year exam so i find myself more comfortable re doing it all over again. A friend of mine tells me there are topics from step 1 in the step 2 ck exam. I am really let down with it . Please if anyone can help me with my situation it would be really appreciated.

So, I took my test 8/31 and don't see a link on the Permit Available page.
Where would it have been if it were present?

Test: 8/17
Report: 9/24

STEP 1: 200
STEP 2: 212

Didn't study much maybe only 3 weeks. I'm an OMFS so all I needed to do was pass.

No practice test just questions and FA review.
Promised myself that I would write onday. Now the wait till 10/08 for cs.

Good luck to everyone getting their scores back today

Step 1: 242
UWSA: 232(Panicked 5 days before exam luckily someone else had the exact same thing happen to them so it calmed me down)
NBME4: 248 NBME6: 250 NBME7: 238

Step 2ck: 255! Pretty freaking stoked! I feel like nbmes are accurate predictors for step 2 but not nearly as pin point as step 1. Theres a few of us with not exact pinpoint scores although It does seem like nbme4 is the most accurate!
3.5 weeks study: MTB, FA psych, pestana, some of secrets and 80 percent of U world!
Good luck all

Going to give back to the community. They have been very helpful giving me advice over the last 2 months. Check out my other threads if you want more insight on my situation. But essentially

Us Med student, Not the best test taker, average 70 on all shelfs in third years, high passed most rotations

My mock exams were:

NBME 3: 177 (Wtf? Prior to dedicated studying, 5 weeks out)
NBME 6: 224 (2.5 weeks of study, thought many questions were direct ripoff of world)
uwsa: 206 (4 weeks of study, may be skewed because I got my CS score (pass) in the middle of the exam when I took my break)
NBME 4 200 ( 5 weeks of study, 2 days before the real deal)

was freaking out, I did uworld twice, did uworld secrets and read chapters of MTB2 where i was weak (cardio, neuro, OBGYN)

But since I had studied more than I wanted to allocate time for (originally scheduled 4 weeks of dedicated time and scores not improving at all), I bit the bullet and took it on 8/20/14

Got my score today

Step 2 CK-230!

So for those who have scored low on NBMEs, there is hope! I only had 1 passing NBME going in and I did fine. The lesson is, trust your prep. If you paid attention in third year, did ok on shelf and step 1, you will pass step 2 ck. I have a big gripe with NBMEs, the scale is way too harsh and not at all predictive/representative of the real thing for those who are lower on the spectrum, apparently they are very good for those with >240, but for the average/below average student, it caused a lot of anxiety and stress

Anyways, feel free to message me for any advice, tips or questions about my experience.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting for scores/waiting to write it!

Reactions: 1 user
guys plz any 1 can tell me where is the most scores fall (in the same paragraph of mean & SD in score report)

Just wanted to give some encouragement to the sub-210 step 1 test takers out there. There has been some impressive gains in the previous posts of this thread, mine is not quite so impressive, but it is a solid 30 point improvement and I am proud of it.

Step 1: 205-210
Step 2: 235-240

UW first pass (3rd year) - 61% overall
UW second pass (6 weeks of studying) - 67% overall (last 6-8 average 71%)

NBME 4 - 200 (about 3 weeks before)
NBME 6 - 225 (about 2 weeks before)
UWSA - 242 (1 week before)
NBME 7 - 223 (3 days before)

Studied for 6 weeks, about 6-8 hours solid hours each day (I can't really do much more than that).

Sources used: (this advice is probably better for those scoring below the average, not all you 250-260+ out there!)
UW - I did all questions once during third year (after each clerkship), and then reset it at the end of the year. I would highly recommend getting a yearlong subscription to UW. For the dedicated study period, I re-did everything in random blocks of 44, and then read every single explanation, even the ones that I got right. I felt reading correct explanations help reinforce knowledge and build intuition (see below), so definitely don't skimp - you already paid for the qbank so why not get the most out of it? I also started a giant spreadsheet on Google drive sorted by discipline and I typed 1 learning point for each question that I got incorrect and any learning points from the explanations of the questions I got correct (I usually didn't have too many learning points from the correct questions because I didn't want to overload the spreadsheet). Still, this sheet was massive at the end. I read through the entire sheet 2 times the 2 days before the exam.

MTB 2 - This is a great book. I went through it 1.5 times (wanted to do 2 full reads but ran out of time). If I could do it over again, I would start MTB earlier and maybe take a peek at MTB 3. In my score report, I was off to the right for medicine (thanks to MTB!) but more mediocre in the other disciplines, and I think MTB 3 may have helped.

Secrets - I read this slowly between week 3-4, and then rapidly in week 6. I don't think the last read did very much for me, honestly, but there are a lot of pearls for the mediocre test taker, so I would not skimp on this either. It's actually pretty entertaining to read since it moves so quickly from bullet point to bullet point. I would not start this too early either though because it's more of a review source on a foundation, rather than a strict foundation building text (like MTB is more of).

Kaplan Qbook - this book is not often mentioned but I actually liked it a lot. Yes, the questions are a bit esoteric at times but I felt this was a good subject-based review. I would use this in the early stages of prep when I didn't want to exhaust too many quality UW questions. I felt this was a good source to build endurance and just crank through a lot of questions - a valuable skill on test day! Also, this book is offline so I often did it in cafes or on flights/trains where there is no internet. Works great!

That's honestly it! I had step up to CK and honestly didn't even open it. Don't overwhelm yourself with too many resources.

A few other comments about the test itself (from the mediocre test taker's standpoint):

The test is long. Really long. I don't think anything can really adequately prepare you for the sheer length of the thing. You have to be on your toes the entire exam otherwise you will soon find yourself randomly guessing on 3-5 questions at the end of each block. Thus, it's almost impossible to go back and check your answers (like it was for Step 1). Therefore, your question-answering "intuition" really comes into play. It's actually really smart of NBME to make the test the way it is because at the core of it, you're being distinguished based on how often you choose the right choice in that one split second. Therefore, in order to do this you need to have a sound knowledge base and honestly just crank through as many questions as you can to build up that "gut feeling." Really, that makes all the difference in this exam.

I learned my lesson in under-prepping for step 1, but I'm proud that I recovered somewhat on Step 2. Do I hope for more? Sure! But I'm just really glad that the 6 weeks haven't been in vain - and if you have a low score on step 1, you can achieve a big improvement too.

ps. If you have access to the national percentiles on the shelf (should be sent to your medical school administrator with the summary of scores), that is probably the best predictor. My final score (slightly below national average) is pretty much what I've been getting in final shelves of the year (just south of 50th percentile).

Reactions: 1 users
Step 2 CK > 240

NBME6 ~ 232 (4 days before)
Studied about 2.5 wks (med school does not give a lot of time to study), did not do very well on my shelf exams (scored around 40th - 85th percentile).
Used UWorld x 1 and FA step 2 CK. FA not very useful. Just stick to UWorld and use another source.
What i could have done differently: a lot of detailed clinical questions especially on psych, primary care, and OB-GYN that was not covered in UWorld. I remembered seeing similar questions when I studied for the shelf exams 12 months ago. Highly recommend spending some time brushing up on your guidelines. Might make a difference if you're trying to score > 250.

Good luck.

Step 1 258

Step 2 ck 269

Nbme4 273
Uwsa 265

78% UWORLD but only made it through about 60% of the q bank.

DO student here. Pretty happy with my results. Best of luck to all this application season!

Got my score. Failed. Had passing NBMEs and I'm not sure what I did wrong. I'm an IMG (born and raised in the US), passed Step1 and CS, was waiting for CK to apply this year. Anyone (program directors) that have advice on what I should do? Study and take the exam again and risk a late application or wait to apply next year with hopefully research or something? Please advise, I'm devistated.

Step 2 CK: 264

I'm very pleased with this score. My step 1 score was a bit lower than I expected (231), but this is right in line with what I was scoring in UWorld.

Prep: I scheduled about 2 weeks of study time but only used one. Just did 2/3 of UWorld. No NBME practice exams. I read a couple chapters in MTB. I was scoring about 80% consistently in my UWorld question blocks and because I scored above average in all of my shelf exams I eschewed studying to play video games and ingest ethanol. I felt awful after taking the exam (I had a question block with 4 missing answers - I didn't even have time to guess!) but everyone seems to these days.