USMLE Official 2014 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exudate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the changes going on, I think it is a good time to start a new thread and keep all the scores and experiences organized in one thread. Similar thread was really helpful for step 1, so I am hoping this one will be equally great and helpful to all.

Good luck to all the Step 2 CK'ers in 2014!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I talked to my advisor and was told the score delay is generally just a holding period. So if you took the exam after 7/28 you will most likely get the score around that 09/24th.

but who knows.
I took mine on the 30th and got my score. It looks like the 31st is the cutoff. I really feel for you guys :(

Reactions: 1 user
took it 8/5 and my permit link no longer works. guess I will know tomorrow whether my score will be delayed.

I'm pretty sure it has to disappear completely for the scores to be released. The error message you get when you click on it doesn't mean anything. I took it the same week as you and I still have my link (also with the error message). I think we will need to wait till 9/24 unfortunately...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember the difference being one is practice for step 2 and one for step 3. From their website:

• Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment (CBSSA)
    The CBSSA uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during basic science medical education courses. The content of the CBSSA items resembles the content of those in Step 1 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®).
  • Comprehensive Clinical Science Self-Assessment (CCSSA)
    The CCSSA uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during the core clinical clerkships. The content of the CCSSA items resembles the content of those in Step 2 CK of the USMLE.
  • Comprehensive Clinical Medicine Self-Assessment (CCMSA)
    The CCMSA uses information typically covered in clinical encounters. The content of the CCMSA items resembles the content of those in the multiple-choice component of Step 3 of the USMLE.

Hi,

I'm an American IMG who got a mediocre score on Step 1. I have about 10 weeks to study for CK, while rotating clerkships that aren't too stressful-- psych and family med.
I'm using MTB2 and UWorld. I have MTB3, Step2 Secrets, SUTM, and SUTS2. What do you suggest I use?

As of now I've been doing UWorld and annotating MTB2, which is taking a lot of time. I'm only 20% done with UWorld. I know the other books I own have more info but I feel like I don't have the time to go through so many sources.

I honestly just want to pass. I'm not going into a competitive specialty.

Thanks for the help!

hey all,

been following this post for a while.

I do not have a lot of data points. Did DIT then uslme world 1 time through: 75 % total correct.

I have a few questions regarding step2 (that I sat for today):
1. Did you all receive a confirmation (other than the print out at the end of the test) that you completed it?
2. I thought for step1 there was a question at the end asking if we want the test to be scored or not? I did not have that today, it just ended, did anyone have that?
3. This is probably a neurotic question, but, no better place than here: the tutorial questions do not count to our over all score, right? I just randomly selected answers to move through it without reading the questions. I ask because they were were actual questions, not questions like what is the capital of the US.
thx!

1. No, just the print-out.
2. No.
3. No, these are not graded.

Hey, could someone please answer my question?
I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I'm an American IMG who got a mediocre score on Step 1. I have about 10 weeks to study for CK, while rotating clerkships that aren't too stressful-- psych and family med.
I'm using MTB2 and UWorld. I have MTB3, Step2 Secrets, SUTM, and SUTS2. What do you suggest I use?

As of now I've been doing UWorld and annotating MTB2, which is taking a lot of time. I'm only 20% done with UWorld. I know the other books I own have more info but I feel like I don't have the time to go through so many sources.

I honestly just want to pass. I'm not going into a competitive specialty.

Thanks for the help!

I think no one may be answering because many people have had similar questions and its been answered previously in this same forum.. I'd recommend looking back at older posts, but here goes my advice: Basically, its whatever works best for you. Most people swear by Uworld (that's what I used) plus potentially one other source. I did UWorld with First Aid Step 2 CK and that wasn't too time intensive, but gave me a broad overview. Obviously SUTM has a ton of info and I used that while doing my medicine clerkship, but its too dense for me now. You have a lot of time till your Step 2 so you can really try a lot more sources than the average person--- but I don't think you NEED any of them. Try doing some UWorld, targeting your weak areas with your review books, and seeing if your UWorld scores start getting better. If not, try a different (and more in depth source) since you may have some fundamental knowledge gaps that need a more in depth review. Hope this is helpful, I think you will be okay!

I think no one may be answering because many people have had similar questions and its been answered previously in this same forum.. I'd recommend looking back at older posts, but here goes my advice: Basically, its whatever works best for you. Most people swear by Uworld (that's what I used) plus potentially one other source. I did UWorld with First Aid Step 2 CK and that wasn't too time intensive, but gave me a broad overview. Obviously SUTM has a ton of info and I used that while doing my medicine clerkship, but its too dense for me now. You have a lot of time till your Step 2 so you can really try a lot more sources than the average person--- but I don't think you NEED any of them. Try doing some UWorld, targeting your weak areas with your review books, and seeing if your UWorld scores start getting better. If not, try a different (and more in depth source) since you may have some fundamental knowledge gaps that need a more in depth review. Hope this is helpful, I think you will be okay!

Thanks for the advice. I did look at other posts, and I thought my situation was very particular given my time, but I guess you're right, many people are in the same boat despite the exact amount of time I have.

I have been doing UWorld and my scores aren't the best, but it's my first pass. I've been relying very heavily on UWorld.

One more question, if my UWorld starts going up significantly on my second pass (I expect it to be over 75%), and let's say I am understanding WHY my answers are correct, is using that percentile a good way to gauge if I'm ready?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I did look at other posts, and I thought my situation was very particular given my time, but I guess you're right, many people are in the same boat despite the exact amount of time I have.

I have been doing UWorld and my scores aren't the best, but it's my first pass. I've been relying very heavily on UWorld.

One more question, if my UWorld starts going up significantly on my second pass (I expect it to be over 75%), and let's say I am understanding WHY my answers are correct, is using that percentile a good way to gauge if I'm ready?

Use UWorld to build your knowledge base. I think that understanding is the most important point. Its hard to say if the percentile tells if you are ready, especially on a second pass since the knowledge will be really fresh. Still, you will have a lot of high quality information in your head if you do UWorld twice and know all the correct and incorrect answers. If you are really worried about a gauge, you can always try an NBME or two-- the questions will be brand new and people seem to indicate that they are a good way to look at how well you know the material. At the end of the day, a lot will depend on your individual test and how well the information matches your knowledge base, so just try to broaden your knowledge as much as possible!

Use UWorld to build your knowledge base. I think that understanding is the most important point. Its hard to say if the percentile tells if you are ready, especially on a second pass since the knowledge will be really fresh. Still, you will have a lot of high quality information in your head if you do UWorld twice and know all the correct and incorrect answers. If you are really worried about a gauge, you can always try an NBME or two-- the questions will be brand new and people seem to indicate that they are a good way to look at how well you know the material. At the end of the day, a lot will depend on your individual test and how well the information matches your knowledge base, so just try to broaden your knowledge as much as possible!

Thanks for taking the time and answering my questions. It's really appreciated.

And sorry fellow users, for moving away from the thread topic. I figured most people are waiting for their scores anyway with the score delay.

Good luck, everyone.

It's almost comical how poorly timed the "score holding" period is each year.

"Oh, the opening date for submitting your ERAS applications is September 15? That sounds like a great time to hold applicants' scores for an extra 3-6 weeks."

I can't decide if it's simply gross negligence and poor planning, or if they do it this way just to spite us, lol.

Ya it's a bummer.

Is this hold still on? I haven't seen anything on the usmle site. All I see is them stating it can take "at least" 8 weeks

Yeah when I scheduled my test for late august, I called them up and asked about timing. The way I read it, as I explained to the lady on the phone, was that if I took my test in late July (after the start of the hold) or late august, i would still get my score on 9/24. She couldn't say for sure obviously, but told me this was "probably correct"

I took CK on August 8th and my link disappeared this morning. Looks like its a possibility scores will come out this Wednesday again.

Took it 8/6 and entire link has disappeared (had error message for awhile before this).

On second thought, this may have to do with my eligibility period expiring (expired on 8/31).

Last edited:
Took it 8/6 and entire link has disappeared (had error message for awhile before this). I obviously would like my score but now this is kind of scary...

Is there any history of NBME releasing scores early within the holding period?

That is odd because I took mine on 8/4 and my hyperlink is still there, although an error message appears when I click it.

Yeah when I scheduled my test for late august, I called them up and asked about timing. The way I read it, as I explained to the lady on the phone, was that if I took my test in late July (after the start of the hold) or late august, i would still get my score on 9/24. She couldn't say for sure obviously, but told me this was "probably correct"

This goes with what my advisor had said. Its just a hold period...so chances are people who took the exam after the "deadline" will most likely get their scores on 9/24 if not the following wed at the latest. I guess well see.

So I took step 2 today and man was it brutal. Not in terms of the content but physical fatigue from sitting for the test.

I've studied for 3 months but serious the last few weeks. I started with MTB 2 and uworld and then mostly used uworld. I finished uworld and then did it again but only managed to finish 80%. The test concepts was very similar to everything I read before with a few exceptions here and there.

I came out feeling bad and checked things I wasn't sure of and got some stupid mistakes and changing from right to wrong but alas too late now. My advice don't over think!!! If it obvious then it is what it is, don't over think. This test is not to trick you but to make sure you have the knowledge to be a safe doctor.

Uworld first pass 69%
NBME 4 (3 weeks out): 248
NBME 6 (1 week out): 227
UWAE (3 weeks out) 248

I don't know. I feel good and bad about the test. I hope I pass. It's been a long tiring journey and glad it's over.

Do you guys know when will I get my results? Will it be around step 24th or will it be delayed further?

Exam date : Aug 4th
Result @ Aug 27th (E-mailed ECFMG they told me you will get your result in sept 24th, I opened my Email in Aug 27th @ night and a pretty surprise "your score report is available" )
USWA before UW studying 259
UW 1st time 86 % - repeated only wrong Q
Step2CK : 263

Wow. That's awesome. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little peeved that I took my exam on July 31 and have yet to have a link disappear or get any word of a score report. But congrats - solid score!
Result @ Aug 27th (E-mailed ECFMG they told me you will get your result in sept 24th, I opened my Email in Aug 27th @ night and a pretty surprise "your score report is available" )

It doesn't make sense to me as to how your score came out when you took it 8/4 bc i also took it 8/4 and my permit link is still there.

I took the beast last Sunday (8/31/2014). I did UW during clerkships and reset it for ~ 3 weeks CK study time. Medicine was my first rotation, so most of the questions seemed brand new to me during the second pass. I actually studied for ~2-2.5 weeks using Kaplan HY and UW, because I had a very slow start (due to prepping for a national research presentation and surgery); so, I didn't get to finish UW (~500 Qs left). I started subjects-based while going thru HY, then switched to random blocks for the last week. All timed-tutor. The day before, I went thru my collection of notes and pics that gave me trouble.

Test day felt like 9 hours of more UW. Lots of people say that their test is heavy on certain subjects, but I felt like mine was even in all; each block felt like it focused on a different subject/specialty. For example, after 20 questions, I'd think to myself, "Man, it feels like every third question on this block has been a pulmonary question!"

My feelings walking out of the test have been similar to others: I felt like I was making educated guesses throughout. I felt ok walking out of Step 1, but I didn't feel ok/good walking out of this one. There were many immediate recall, but most involved process of elimination for me. I just wish I was a faster reader because I was pressed for time on almost every block and had to blindly guess on a total of ~6 questions due to time running low . Endurance was factor because I really needed Redbull to push me thru the last two blocks.
SDN was great for giving me an initial hope of 270+. Now, I'd be unbelievably ecstatic if I reached 260+; happy with 255+, and disappointed with myself for not finishing UW if 240's.

Raw shelf scores in order:
IM: 85 (H)
Neuro: 92 (H)
Peds: 83 (H)
Psych: 72 (S) ... fml.
Surgery: 97 (H)
FM: 82 (H)
Ob/Gyn: 76 (S)

Step 1: 248
UW 1st pass: 65%
UW 2nd pass: 77% (~500 Qs left)
UWSA (1 week out): 252

Anyways, my main motivation behind these "brags" is to let the IMG students know that there are no limits to what they can do. So many posts on these networks, even though they have merit, describe that IMGs have NO CHANCE at matching Derm, Rad Onc, Neurosurgery, etc......, and students read this first semester and from then on they learn enough first aid to get by and "settle for average".. THIS IS NOT SAYING PRIMARY CARE IS AVERAGE!!!! IM SAYING SETTLING FOR LESS THAN WHAT YOU WANT BECAUSE OF ANONYMOUS BLOG OPINIONS IS AN AVERAGE WAY TO LIVE YOUR LIFE!!

Just for completeness sake, some of those specialties, plastics and NSG off the top of my head, had zero IMG matches last year. Great job, and good luck pursuing rad-onc, but it's hard for everyone to match into some things, even the 270/270 folks.

I'm an IMG. I only got a 262 on Step 1. Taking 2CK in December. I became a lot happier / less stressed when I realized that my "preferred specialty" for the match is the transitional year because I truly have not the slightest clue what I want to do. I'm hoping I'll be competitive enough, but I think an internship year, especially coming into the USA from abroad, is a healthy way to build additional exposure and experience before committing to anything lifelong. And it's not like the Step scores disappear.

But I will say that it does appear as though you're using our IMG argument as a pretext for score display. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love a 270/276 any day, but humility goes a long way.

Can anyone who took the exam in the last couple of weeks comment on whether uworld sufficiently covers the material needed? I keep reading in other forums that the exam has gotten so much harder and theres nothing from the standard prep materials????? (UW/mtb)? I started Focusing mostly on uworld and just learning the concepts in it, but I am genuinely concerned. help!! thanks

I'm an IMG. I only got a 262 on Step 1. Taking 2CK in December. I became a lot happier / less stressed when I realized that my "preferred specialty" for the match is the transitional year because I truly have not the slightest clue what I want to do. I'm hoping I'll be competitive enough, but I think an internship year, especially coming into the USA from abroad, is a healthy way to build additional exposure and experience before committing to anything lifelong. And it's not like the Step scores disappear.

But I will say that it does appear as though you're using our IMG argument as a pretext for score display. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love a 270/276 any day, but humility goes a long way.
Hi Phloston, what resources are you using for your Step 2 prep? You got any of your kickass slides for us? ;)

You know pholston, it was your original posts I read before step 1 that gave me motivation to get such a high score, I even messaged you days before my test to talk about it. But why is the rest of the SDN allowed to poat there scores, and there are plenty of 240-260s+ posted on here which are all amazing scores, yet nobody gives them **** for it. Bc my score is above the average high end of posts, I'm just showing off? Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my score, I earned it just as I did my step 1 score,, and I shouldn't have to hide that. If you ever met me in a hospital, you would never know I'm a 270+ guy, because although I am intelligent and understand medicine to a great degree, teaching others is my true passion and I am a very down to earth, and believe most who now me would describe me as a reasonably humble man

You know pholston, it was your original posts I read before step 1 that gave me motivation to get such a high score, I even messaged you days before my test to talk about it. But why is the rest of the SDN allowed to poat there scores, and there are plenty of 240-260s+ posted on here which are all amazing scores, yet nobody gives them **** for it. Bc my score is above the average high end of posts, I'm just showing off? Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my score, I earned it just as I did my step 1 score,, and I shouldn't have to hide that. If you ever met me in a hospital, you would never know I'm a 270+ guy, because although I am intelligent and understand medicine to a great degree, teaching others is my true passion and I am a very down to earth, and believe most who now me would describe me as a reasonably humble man

This is quite possibly the least humble response to those accusing you of showing off. Not that you don't deserve congratulations, because surely you do and you have amazing scores to prove it, but this is the ULTIMATE "humble-brag."

Reactions: 3 users

Excuse my cynicism, but I have a difficult time believing that judging by your posts here.

Either that or you try so hard to be humble in real life (which would be admirable in a sense) that you're compensating for it in online forums.

Can someone explain a simple system for determining when we use FNA, ultrasound, and radionuclide scan of a thyroid mass? Every question I answer seems to have a different response and it's driving me nuts!

Hi Phloston, what resources are you using for your Step 2 prep? You got any of your kickass slides for us? ;)

I'm probably not the best source of advice for 2CK prep. I'm going to have to wing it a bit more than I had the Step 1.

MTB-2/-3 (yes, MTB-3) were good (view them collectively as one resource). Case Files for Psych, OBGYN, Peds. Pestana's notes for surgery. Then just do a bucket load of questions, including all of the NBME stuff. I read FA 2CK but wouldn't recommend it; same goes for FA Cases 2CK. SECRETS is OK, but not essential.

And that being said, I was just posting a thread on here about a week ago asking for OBGYN/peds advice.

I'm probably not the best source of advice for 2CK prep. I'm going to have to wing it a bit more than I had the Step 1.

MTB-2/-3 (yes, MTB-3) were good (view them collectively as one resource). Case Files for Psych, OBGYN, Peds. Pestana's notes for surgery. Then just do a bucket load of questions, including all of the NBME stuff. I read FA 2CK but wouldn't recommend it; same goes for FA Cases 2CK. SECRETS is OK, but not essential.

And that being said, I was just posting a thread on here about a week ago asking for OBGYN/peds advice.

nice, just want to second that secrets is ok but not essential and that first aid step 2ck sucks

Can someone explain a simple system for determining when we use FNA, ultrasound, and radionuclide scan of a thyroid mass? Every question I answer seems to have a different response and it's driving me nuts!

From what I gathered doing UWorld questions:
-Start by measuring TSH and doing an ultrasound
-If TSH is High or Normal or there are suspicious US findings or the person has a history of radiation or MEN then do an FNA
-If TSH is LOW then this most likely is not cancer (cancer usually will not produce T4) so you do an uptake scan

Hi Phloston. Welcome to CK forum! Did you start doing UW or Kaplan Qbank yet? I read in one of your posts that you already started with Rx, did you complete it?

In addition to Ugen's post, try taking a pic of the huge diagnostic algorithm on some of the UW explanations, then email it to yourself to print out and keep near your laptop as a constant reminder.

From what I gathered doing UWorld questions:
-Start by measuring TSH and doing an ultrasound
-If TSH is High or Normal or there are suspicious US findings or the person has a history of radiation or MEN then do an FNA
-If TSH is LOW then this most likely is not cancer (cancer usually will not produce T4) so you do an uptake scan

I agree that TSH is done first. But if the nodule/mass is cold, don't you do a FNA next before the ultrasound? It's like what Goljan had said: the ultrasound can tell you cystic vs non-cystic, but can't determine anything about malignant vs benign.