COMLEX Official 2014 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccc2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Comlex, so decided to create one. The one for level 1 was really helpful, PLEASE share your experiences taking this exam and study methods. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I've already emailed them a formal request for an equivalent psychometric review of our testing session . Btw for those who didn't get their scores back with ours. Our wording specifically stated that the standard deviation "was 100 with a mean of 540 in a PREVIOUSLY tested group". I still haven't seen a single sdn poster with a 100+ point drop after the regrading. I've seen several in the post July 28th group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the quest is quixotic, but please keep the thread updated with the responses you guys get.

Well everyone said nothing was going to happen or change with the last set of scores, so emails could make a difference this time around as well.

Won't hurt to ask, but if the SD is already at 100...it seems they must have used the same grading method. I would find it hard to believe they would mess up twice, let alone announce that they messed up twice. Of course, I found it hard to believe that they admitted the mess up the first time. Wish you guys luck and the score improvement you are looking for!

Maybe they should not have done the first one...as now every time someone gets a score they don't like, there will be a outcry for a psychometric review.

Yeah we just have bad timing coming off the heels of the regrade debacle.
Hilarious.

Maybe they should not have done the first one...as now every time someone gets a score they don't like, there will be a outcry for a psychometric review.
You know what, after they messed up the first time, anyone who thinks there is something wrong should demand a re grade. High 250s on usmle to low 500s on comlex with a 100+ point drop right after this debacle is less likely to be coincidence. If one group got a review, every group deserves the same review. Since no one who passed last time went down in score there is no risk in requesting the same in the act of fairness. As I said, I haven't found anyone after the re grade with a 100+ drop while there are quite a few in this testing session. When it's a series of coincidences it's less likely that it's a coincidence. I'm going at this tooth and nail. I'm convinced it wasn't my performance that day. 2600 combank questions, 1600 comquest questions, 2200 Uworld questions, 5 shelf exams, a usmle and two comsaes all far from this range of score and a grading debacle just a week before tells me that this is less likely one huge coincidence.

I
Won't hurt to ask, but if the SD is already at 100...it seems they must have used the same grading method. I would find it hard to believe they would mess up twice, let alone announce that they messed up twice. Of course, I found it hard to believe that they admitted the mess up the first time. Wish you guys luck and the score improvement you are looking for!
I just feel since the last grading cycle had a sample size of 3k according to them, if they used the same psychometrics on our group which was much smaller, there may have been a mishap. I've consulted a statistician about this and he's working on the different scenarios but he said that's definitely a possibility. July 28th to August 5th is like 7 days if exam sessions vs nearly one month of examinees in the previous session.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the quest is quixotic, but please keep the thread updated with the responses you guys get.
I agree adam but the last group had cynics as well and who on earth would have ever thought a medical board would retract scores and reissue them. To be honest, that likelihood was less than the likelihood of this going favorably even though I agree with you, I think we are more than likely stuck with our scores. Just glad I did well on all my other exams and hoping it over shadows this nonsense

2 things;
1. I've talked to a few friends who received their scores yesterday (or whenever the latest scores were released) and they were scoring 650-750s (and 250-260s on usmle) which before the new score change thing I had not heard of a score greater than 650. I'm not saying they may not have still made a mistake with these latest score reports but given the fact that at least some people are scoring relatively high, I think it is less likely. Could still be worth submitting re-scores/letters of complaint though.

2. Has anyone made a spreadsheet yet with pre review scores vs post review scores? Just quickly glancing at peoples score changes, it looks like its almost a linear change with someone who got an initial score of 500 getting around a 50 pt jump and then someone else with an initial score around 600 getting a 100 pt jump. So every 2 or so pre review pts gave you a 1 pt jump after you hit the 500ish mark. Mostly just curious about this as I love sifting through lots of numbers but also at least when compared to prior years it looks like there are a lot less 750+ scores for comlex II. I could be wrong, but I thought I remember reading prior year threads for comlex 2 and seeing many more 750, 800+ scores (only have seen/heard of 1 800+ so far). Just trying to figure out if all the new scores are equivalent to past year scores or if they are still undervalued even with this new score review change. My gut says they are slightly undervalued for 2 reasons, 1 if the psychometric review was simply a linear score increase (ie 1 point increase for 2 points above 500 or something similar) then I don't think it favors those on the high end nearly as much as it should because it becomes exponentially harder once you are getting closer to perfection. And then the other reason is just that I haven't seen nearly as many super high scores as I have in past years comlex II threads. Anyways, this is all just for curiosities sake as its something I've thought about ever since the new scores came out but no one has mentioned this idea yet.

I absolutely agree. If they can assure me of that I will accept my fate as an outlier

Reactions: 1 users
I hope you get an official answer soon and everything works out fairly for everyone involved.

That being said, if they didn't apply the psychometric review before and will now, that person with an 814 (according to Melkor's hypothesis - 500 = +50, 600 = +100, 700 = +150, 800 = +200) will have around a 1020 and I kind of want to see that lol.

Dude i hope to see that too haha

Took my COMLEX part II on 7/28/14 and my score is 58 points lower than COMLEX part I. More importanly, it's 60 points lower than my COMSAE score. I called NBOME and apparently they will not regrade tests from 7/28. Just bummed because now I'm significantly below average. Never should have extended my test date :/

So another quick thought I had that I mainly mention for discussions sake and could very well have been obvious to everyone but me until now, but going along with the whole possible notion of simply adding linearly, points to the pre review scores and then using the same formula from that point forward, a possible explanation for some peoples lower scores when compared to their comlex 1 could simply be the fundamental study time when compared to both tests if whatever this new formula uses is more closely similar to the formula used for comlex 1 vs the formula used for comlex 2 in prior years (not the formula that caused the psychometric review).

The reason I say this is that in the past for both comlex and usmle, on the whole, the majority of students were getting higher scores with less studying. This is very obvious to see in regards to the usmle where the average for step 1 is a 228ish and for step 2 is a 238ish. The comlex though has always said the average is around the 500-540 mark even though if you go look back at prior years in the sdn official comlex 1 and 2 threads it is obvious their were a lot more 700+ scores for comlex 2 when compared to comlex 1. With this new formula for comlex 2 though, it seems to more closely replicate the formula used for comlex 1 (some mid 700s but very rare to get 800+) rather than reverting just to the original comlex 2 (lots of 700s and a decent amount of 800s) formula.

With this in mind, it seems much easier to get around 50 points on either the plus or minus side of your comlex 1 score given your study habits did not vastly change 3rd year. Since most of us did take a solid month to study for comlex 1 it does make sense to me that if you did not take that much time to study for comlex 2 (or you did but didn't put in nearly the same amount of total effort) then it seems reasonable that your score could drop. I think this notion of comlex 2 scores being lower than comlex 1 scores is so foreign to us is because it has always been the opposite in the past (I can't hardly think of any upper classmen I talked to who scored lower on comlex 2 vs 1 (unless they had some type of serious health/family/etc problem going on when they were getting ready to take comlex 2) and this was solely because the system itself was set up to give you a higher comlex 2 (or usmle 2 for that matter) with less studying. It seems now that the scores for both comlex 1 and 2 have a much more equal scoring system and possibly gives future students another reason to take usmle 1 and 2 so you can at least show the perceptive improvement in score.

I guess I'm just trying to give those who did receive lower scores some logical solace as to why it may have happened. If it didn't work then I guess just remember the comlex 2 is a terribly bad test.

Hello everyone.
I need some advice. I have my comlex 2 late next week and i dont think that I am ready. Any ideas how residency programs feel if i postpone the exam another 2 weeks, meaning they will get my scores likely late november? I am applying to FM and IM but my comlex 1 was barely a pass.

Thanks

Hello everyone.
I need some advice. I have my comlex 2 late next week and i dont think that I am ready. Any ideas how residency programs feel if i postpone the exam another 2 weeks, meaning they will get my scores likely late november? I am applying to FM and IM but my comlex 1 was barely a pass.

Thanks

Well delaying and passing is better than not delaying and failing.

I'd reassess over the weekend to see where you stand.

Can someone explain this? The new mean is 540 and a lot of people got a bump? I did not get a bump, and I am now below average if it's truly 540. Previously I was above average.

According to their tool http://www.nbome.org/CBT_Score_Conv/ I am now indeed below average in the 44th percentile. Wtf? Also note that you can select only June 2013 May 2014 not past that. Is the converter faulty?

Last edited:
Now saying that they're in maintenance mode to fix the site. Looks like they notified the program directors though so shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully, anyway! :)

Now saying that they're in maintenance mode to fix the site. Looks like they notified the program directors though so shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully, anyway! :)

Doesn't really matter so early on...but still should not have been an unexpected number of students completing this

Oh I know. I actually meant to post that in another thread, hah! Yeah I guess they should have been prepared for the big hit, but like you said it's not gonna matter really at all. No big deal, we'll all survive, lol.

Comlex level1 468
Comlex 2 409
COMSAE d 402
COMSAE c 550

Moral of the story don't delay your exam.

Did conquest 2.5x and uworld twice

Click the login button...

Oh god oh god....

HURRY COVER THE SCREEN!!!

Oh god oh god... why am I covering the screen?!

Barely peek through my fingers....

Passed!!! Not the best score, not the score I was expecting, but damn it I did good enough!!! The light at the end of the tunnel just became that much brighter :)

Click the login button...

Oh god oh god....

HURRY COVER THE SCREEN!!!

Oh god oh god... why am I covering the screen?!

Barely peek through my fingers....

Passed!!! Not the best score, not the score I was expecting, but damn it I did good enough!!! The light at the end of the tunnel just became that much brighter :)

I like your take! I hope the drop in score doesn't hurt my chances at A good FM program too much.

Level 2 score just came in.

COMLEX-1 540's
COMLEX-2 480's
COMSAE-D (level 2) 611

WTF?

I felt stronger about USMLE-2 anyway. Fingers crossed there.

Are you going to request a regrade? it seems a lot of people in our testing group. got a lower score than they anticipated? I'm thinking about doing so.

I don't see how one can get a 611 on the COMSAE form D and then get a 480 on COMLEX 2. This just is not making any sense to me.

I'll add to the data:

COMSAE 1 Form D: 601
COMLEX Level 1: ~600
COMSAE 2 Form C: 660
COMLEX Level 2: ~620

Expected a little higher based on the COMSAE and how Comquest was going, but can't be upset about an improvement from level 1.

Are you going to request a regrade? it seems a lot of people in our testing group. got a lower score than they anticipated? I'm thinking about doing so.

I don't see how one can get a 611 on the COMSAE form D and then get a 480 on COMLEX 2. This just is not making any sense to me.

I'm not sure if there's a point.

I felt OK about COMLEX-2, but not great. I didn't expect a 600's score necessarily, but I also didn't expect a score as low as I got.

I think I'm just doomed to deal with what I got.

I'm not sure if there's a point.

I felt OK about COMLEX-2, but not great. I didn't expect a 600's score necessarily, but I also didn't expect a score as low as I got.

I think I'm just doomed to deal with what I got.

Yeah if you scroll back, someone in the last batch of tests emailed nbome about re-scoring and they said that no they wouldn't be re-scoring our tests like they did with the big mess up group of tests from the previous session.

I do feel like something funky is going on with the scoring and they're now using a new scale. But it doesn't seem like much is going to change at this point.

I hope everyone has success applying this year!

Yeah if you scroll back, someone in the last batch of tests emailed nbome about re-scoring and they said that no they wouldn't be re-scoring our tests like they did with the big mess up group of tests from the previous session.

I do feel like something funky is going on with the scoring and they're now using a new scale. But it doesn't seem like much is going to change at this point.

I hope everyone has success applying this year!

If you are correct that is UTTERLY absurd and UNFAIR. We will be competing in the same match as those folks.

No PD is going to hear our saps of how unfair this is. I'm sure my SGA is not going to vouch for me as most of the class took the exam in July when I took it in August. Feeling so down at this point.

I hope a lot of PD's just ignore step 2 and look at Step 1. :(

If you are correct that is UTTERLY absurd and UNFAIR. We will be competing in the same match as those folks.

No PD is going to hear our saps of how unfair this is. I'm sure my SGA is not going to vouch for me as most of the class took the exam in July when I took it in August. Feeling so down at this point.

I hope a lot of PD's just ignore step 2 and look at Step 1. :(

Well if you got a good step 1 score, then I'm sure you have virtually nothing to worry about. It seems that step 1 and not step 2 seems to be the deciding factor for many programs.

I didn't do too well on step 1, so I was hoping for a nice jump in step 2. Based on my prep and comsaes I was hoping to be above average, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

It's all out of our hands now until interviews!

Well if you got a good step 1 score, then I'm sure you have virtually nothing to worry about. It seems that step 1 and not step 2 seems to be the deciding factor for many programs.

I didn't do too well on step 1, so I was hoping for a nice jump in step 2. Based on my prep and comsaes I was hoping to be above average, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

It's all out of our hands now until interviews!

No my comlex 1 was lower, and like you I was hoping for a jump on step 2 and did what you did more prep+COMSAE's....got lower than Level 1.

This does not make sense. oh well, u gonna take step 2 usmle?

im applying realistically so i hope ppl give me interviews lol