Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
really?

if you have a particular area of research interest, look who has the bigger names and potential mentors in that particular area.
if you don't have such an area of interest, then it doesn't matter ...choose based on location or gut feeling or whatever.

if basic science is your thing, then go with Hopkins. also autonomy might be a touch better at Hopkins.

I would personally go with Hopkins but ,again, that's for personal and specific research interests and geographic preference ...

Thanks Visari. I actually don't mind Texas at all and will probably have more known people in the field at MD Anderson. Having said that, I liked the overall training at Hopkins better, even though they do not have as much strength in my area of interest as MD Anderson. Therefore the confusion!

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks Visari. I actually don't mind Texas at all and will probably have more known people in the field at MD Anderson. Having said that, I liked the overall training at Hopkins better, even though they do not have as much strength in my area of interest as MD Anderson. Therefore the confusion!

Any suggestions?

Where do you think you will be happier and enjoy your training? I know this is very cliche but seriously.... those two programs are equivalent so just think where you'd prefer to spend the next 3 years ... neither one of these two will limit your future career plans (whatever those plans are)

I think wherever you like the training best is the most important...interests change as has been previously alluded to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you think you will be happier and enjoy your training? I know this is very cliche but seriously.... those two programs are equivalent so just think where you'd prefer to spend the next 3 years ... neither one of these two will limit your future career plans (whatever those plans are)

I think wherever you like the training best is the most important...interests change as has been previously alluded to.

Thanks!! This was really helpful. I think it is difficult to maintain objectivity during this process as there is so much to consider and it helps to get someone else's input :)

Needed some help with my ROL. No regional preference. Interested more in maliganat heme. I am looking for a more clinical program. I arranged based on my liking. Gutonc,visari, neviancer...would appreaciate input a lot.

1. RPCI
2. WashU
3. Baylor Houston
4. Albert Einstein Montefiore
5. UNC
6. VCU
7. University of Wisconsin
8. MUSC
9. UT San Antonio
10. Tulane

Last edited:
Looking for some input on my ROL. Does this list seem reasonable? Also, would it be crazy to move OHSU to the top for personal reasons? I am interested in malignant heme. Gutonc, I would really appreciate your input on this.

1. Hopkins
2. MDACC
3. OHSU
4. Mayo (Rochester)
5/6. Wash U vs. Vanderbilt
7. Yale
8. Cleveland Clinic
9. NIH
10. Indiana
11. UC Irvine
12. Emory

Looking for some input on my ROL. Does this list seem reasonable? Also, would it be crazy to move OHSU to the top for personal reasons? I am interested in malignant heme. Gutonc, I would really appreciate your input on this.

1. Hopkins
2. MDACC
3. OHSU
4. Mayo (Rochester)
5/6. Wash U vs. Vanderbilt
7. Yale
8. Cleveland Clinic
9. NIH
10. Indiana
11. UC Irvine
12. Emory
I put OHSU at the top of my list (above MSKCC, NW and UCSF) for personal reasons so it would be disingenuous of me to suggest that you'd be crazy to do the same thing. Especially if you're interested in malignant heme which is one area where OHSU is strong and getting stronger. But there's nothing wrong with your list the way it is either.

Reactions: 1 user
It's tempting when you make your list, to rank the best place with the biggest name on the top. This is the "medical student mentality" in everyone of us. I want to go the best place EVERRRR. But I think it's kind of immature at this point in life. Go where you think you will be happy with the people, city, family...etc. If you're miserable, you won't be productive. if you're not productive, there's no point of you going to a top place. just my two cents to all of you who are torn between big name places and their gut feeling.

Reactions: 9 users
I put OHSU at the top of my list (above MSKCC, NW and UCSF) for personal reasons so it would be disingenuous of me to suggest that you'd be crazy to do the same thing. Especially if you're interested in malignant heme which is one area where OHSU is strong and getting stronger. But there's nothing wrong with your list the way it is either.

Thank you for your honest opinion and insight Gutonc :)

My family lives in in SoCal so i'm hoping to head back that way for fellowship. Two programs that I liked much more than anticipated were USC and Harbor-UCLA - anyone have any insight into which will provide better overall training for someone who remains undifferentiated (solids v liquids) and is open to academic vs private vs a hybrid of the two?

My family lives in in SoCal so i'm hoping to head back that way for fellowship. Two programs that I liked much more than anticipated were USC and Harbor-UCLA - anyone have any insight into which will provide better overall training for someone who remains undifferentiated (solids v liquids) and is open to academic vs private vs a hybrid of the two?
USC

Needed some help with my ROL. No regional preference. Interested more in maliganat heme. I am looking for a more clinical program. I arranged based on my liking. Gutonc,visari, neviancer...would appreaciate input a lot.

1. RPCI
2. WashU
3. Baylor Houston
4. Albert Einstein Montefiore
5. UNC
6. VCU
7. University of Wisconsin
8. MUSC
9. UT San Antonio
10. Tulane

Well.... RPCI at the top is your personal preference or regional ? I mean the institute is great.. the program itself seemed "OK" with fellows appearing over worked. And honestly.. Buffalo ain't the best city to live in. Thats just my personal opinion of the place. But malignant hem / transplant is good there and VERY intense.. we are talking about no weekends off for 5-6 months in a row if you are that lucky.
But definitely malignant hem better than VCU, Wisconsin and MUSC. Although I would personally prefer these places over RPCI as more better well rounded.

I really liked USC also. The only problem I have with it is the separate divisions. When I asked, you aren't allowed to do electives in the other division. So for most people who choose 2 years oncology you lose out on some heme IMO. It's still a top 5 program for me, but I'm not sure if I will rank them over Wisconsin, Pitt, and utsw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked USC also. The only problem I have with it is the separate divisions. When I asked, you aren't allowed to do electives in the other division. So for most people who choose 2 years oncology you lose out on some heme IMO. It's still a top 5 program for me, but I'm not sure if I will rank them over Wisconsin, Pitt, and utsw.
You make that sound like a bad thing.

And while ranking them over Wisco, Pitt and UTSW would be insane (geographical preference and all), the question was about USC vs Harbor, which is a no-brainer.

Opinions regarding USC vs UT San Antonio for overall training?

Thank you Xzure. I ranked RPCI high as I am looking for a more clinical program and Wisconsin and VCU does not suit me much as my gf would not be able to move with me to those places.

Gutonc, waiting for your opinion.

Thank you Xzure. I ranked RPCI high as I am looking for a more clinical program and Wisconsin and VCU does not suit me much as my gf would not be able to move with me to those places.

Gutonc, waiting for your opinion.
Why? You've made a list based on personal preferences. Changing it based on my opinion is ridiculous.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

And while ranking them over Wisco, Pitt and UTSW would be insane (geographical preference and all), the question was about USC vs Harbor, which is a no-brainer.

Thanks for the input!

Why would USC over UTSW be insane? Don't get me wrong, I felt that UTSW put on a great interview day but the fellows made it seem like they all felt over-worked. I got the impression that they worked hard at USC as well of course..

Duke versus University of Michigan. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the input!

Why would USC over UTSW be insane? Don't get me wrong, I felt that UTSW put on a great interview day but the fellows made it seem like they all felt over-worked. I got the impression that they worked hard at USC as well of course..

I felt like usc and utsw were very similar clinical training programs. Utsw seemed to offer more time for research and electives though. The academic placement from usc seemed stronger though..

The residents at usc seemed much happier. The residency culture of utsw seemed to carry over into the fellowship, but either way both are county programs with amazing pathology. I ended up putting utsw above usc because of the financial breakdown.

Did anyone notice the not so appealing benefits package of UNC?

What are people's opinion of Loyola? They put on a great interview day with a pretty nice cancer center. How crazy would it be to rank them over iowa, dartmouth and uc irvine?

I am trying to rank Texas Tech Lubbock vs St Johns Hospital Michigan ? any suggestions ? thanks

Looking to do phase 1 and translational work, probably more solids than liquids. Thoughts on this order?

Duke > UNC > Moffitt

I felt like usc and utsw were very similar clinical training programs. Utsw seemed to offer more time for research and electives though. The academic placement from usc seemed stronger though..

The residents at usc seemed much happier. The residency culture of utsw seemed to carry over into the fellowship, but either way both are county programs with amazing pathology. I ended up putting utsw above usc because of the financial breakdown.

Good point! Yeah the salary at UTSW is great and cost of living is definitely much more desirable especially with families..their new hospital also looked nice at least from the outside

Would really appreciate your thoughts about my ROL:

I would like to try academics and see if I really like it. I am not a basic science heavy person but would like to get more experience working on a good project in the lab and see. I am looking for a balance between a clinical hemonc and research oriented program. Want a good continuity clinic experience but not at the cost of dedicated time for pursuing research and good future academic prospects.

Please feel free to share your honest thoughts. I have no geographical preference.

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. UNC
3. Lee Moffitt (felt like I would get lost in the program though. The program felt a little snobby.)
4. University of Maryland
5. Wisconsin
6. Baylor (like the proximity to MD Anderson and potential to stay there for BMT fellowship but they seemed so clinical heavy and not enough research time)
7. Tufts (Boston is so expensive to live in)
8. UT Southwestern
9. Rush
10.UConn

Ultimately what I want is to be in a place where academically I would have the best chance to do well in malignant heme and or BMT. But also want to have a good clinical experience so I can still choose to do clinical hemonc if academics isn’t my thing.

CCF didn’t give time to talk to the fellows except for one fellow on the tour who. Little weary about that. Is that a bad sign? UNC and CCF don’t have a dedicated continuity clinic like other programs. Will that significantly impact my learning if I take the initiative and follow them myself. Am I foolish to put Lee Moffitt at 3 over CCF and UNC. I appreciate your input.

Good luck to all!

Any suggestions?

Go with where your field of interest is strongest, i.e. MDACC!! Given that both are top programs, it's all about what you produce!

Go with where your field of interest is strongest, i.e. MDACC!! Given that both are top programs, it's all about what you produce!

Unlike this suggestion, I'm going to echo the majority and my rank list reflects where I think I'll be happiest while receiving the training type I'm looking for FWIW

Reactions: 1 users
Hi
Need inputs regarding following programs. Dont have preference to location.

Tulane
Cooper Hopsital
University of tennessee

any thoughts?

Would really appreciate your thoughts about my ROL:

I would like to try academics and see if I really like it. I am not a basic science heavy person but would like to get more experience working on a good project in the lab and see. I am looking for a balance between a clinical hemonc and research oriented program. Want a good continuity clinic experience but not at the cost of dedicated time for pursuing research and good future academic prospects.

Please feel free to share your honest thoughts. I have no geographical preference.

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. UNC
3. Lee Moffitt (felt like I would get lost in the program though. The program felt a little snobby.)
4. University of Maryland
5. Wisconsin
6. Baylor (like the proximity to MD Anderson and potential to stay there for BMT fellowship but they seemed so clinical heavy and not enough research time)
7. Tufts (Boston is so expensive to live in)
8. UT Southwestern
9. Rush
10.UConn

Ultimately what I want is to be in a place where academically I would have the best chance to do well in malignant heme and or BMT. But also want to have a good clinical experience so I can still choose to do clinical hemonc if academics isn’t my thing.

CCF didn’t give time to talk to the fellows except for one fellow on the tour who. Little weary about that. Is that a bad sign? UNC and CCF don’t have a dedicated continuity clinic like other programs. Will that significantly impact my learning if I take the initiative and follow them myself. Am I foolish to put Lee Moffitt at 3 over CCF and UNC. I appreciate your input.

Good luck to all!

Just curious...what made you feel that Moffitt was snobby? I am asking cause I am thinking about ranking it pretty high!

Hi Everyone,

Looking for advice on my rank list.

About me: I want to pursue an academic, research-based career in hematology (I LOVE blood). Years of experience behind the bench between grad school and post-doc have reinforced my desire to continue training as a physician scientist. Because my significant other and I have family on the east coast, I tried not to venture too far Midwest or West Coast (U Chicago being the exception).

# 1 & 2: NIH/ NCI vs Memorial Sloan Kettering (although leaning more towards NIH/NCI due to the location)
# 3: Vanderbilt
#4: Columbia
#5: University of Chicago = UNC = Moffitt Cancer Center = Yale (this is based on my interview impressions). Due to the location of Yale, I don't think I will be ranking it highly, but I'm still very undecided about the other programs.

Based on "love letters" that I have received from two of the above programs very recently, I don't think where I rank the other remaining programs (not listed here) is relevant.

Thank you so much for your help!

Anyone have any insight on the transplant programs at Yale, UNC, and Emory? Which is the strongest/weakest i.e. doing more than just auto's?

Any thoughts on these? Would really appreciate your input. Looking for a place for great malignant heme and BMT experience.

1, Cleveland clinic
2. UNC
3. Lee Moffitt
4. U of Maryland

Last edited:
anyone have any insight on the pros/cons of UCLA-Olive View? any input is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Unlike this suggestion, I'm going to echo the majority and my rank list reflects where I think I'll be happiest while receiving the training type I'm looking for FWIW

I think your point is fair but I believe one's choice should depend on academic interest because even the top programs have weaknesses in certain areas. Obviously, if you don't really want an academic careers and don't have a strong interest it doesn't matter. BUT if you do then the types of mentors available in your field is extremely important for career success.

Hi Everyone,

Looking for advice on my rank list.

About me: I want to pursue an academic, research-based career in hematology (I LOVE blood). Years of experience behind the bench between grad school and post-doc have reinforced my desire to continue training as a physician scientist. Because my significant other and I have family on the east coast, I tried not to venture too far Midwest or West Coast (U Chicago being the exception).

# 1 & 2: NIH/ NCI vs Memorial Sloan Kettering (although leaning more towards NIH/NCI due to the location)
# 3: Vanderbilt
#4: Columbia
#5: University of Chicago = UNC = Moffitt Cancer Center = Yale (this is based on my interview impressions). Due to the location of Yale, I don't think I will be ranking it highly, but I'm still very undecided about the other programs.

Based on "love letters" that I have received from two of the above programs very recently, I don't think where I rank the other remaining programs (not listed here) is relevant.

Thank you so much for your help!

As state previously, I would tease this out based on mentors available at each location given all these program are good. Maybe some are better for hematology - I'm not sure because I'm more of an onc guy. I personally spoke to potential mentors at various programs and used that as a main influence on my decision.

Can someone comment on Vanderbilt vs Michigan vs Colorado? Undecided on heme vs onc, want to do translational work and academics, location not an issue...They seem very similar to me.

That is wise of you. There's nothing to interpret. Make your list, submit it and go wherever you match.

Indeed. On that note, any thoughts on the duke vs unc vs moffitt dilemma?

Guys I got a call from the program director of one of the programs. He was telling me that we are ranking you very high and he also encouraged me to think of ranking them with a sense of; if I match their I have a very high chance of being hired later as a junior faculty if I prove myself. He made it sound like a guaranteed position in match and a very likely job afterwards.
Now I have better programs that I ranked higher than this one. However I'm getting a bit confused since working in that place as a job after fellowship sounds ultimately the perfect place for me and what I'm looking for as a post fellowship place to work at.
Your input would be very appreciated.

May I ask a question about Baylor Medical College in hem/onc. I feel it is a pretty good program but I can't find its ranking. How does it compare with university of Maryland? Thanks a lot

More so a location question; how are Iowa City and Lebanon, NH in terms of family living? I know the COL is great, but, is there enough there to entertain a couple kids? Debating on Iowa/Dartmouth vs MCW (Iowa/Dartmouth are the better programs IMO, but Milwaukee is a lot easier on the family...).

May I ask a question about Baylor Medical College in hem/onc. I feel it is a pretty good program but I can't find its ranking. How does it compare with university of Maryland? Thanks a lot

Maryland wants you to be an academician. Baylor wants you in clinical practice. Both solid places IMO.

Anyone has any opinion about AGH vs MSU? Clinically AGH offers strong balanced training and i am inclined to it. Does the university status automatically places the program ahead? What are the chances of going into semi-academic to academic setting from a community program?
I will really appreciate any input. Going back and forth between these two. Thanks

I was wondering if anyone had opinions about my rank list. I am interested in an academic career in early translational research in developing cancer immunology therapies. I would like to be in a program with good research support but also with excellent clinical training. Location is not that much of an issue, but slight preference for the North East. Thanks!

Penn
Hopkins
Mayo (Rochester)
Columbia
Beth Israel (Boston)
Sinai (NYC)
Cornell
Yale
FoxChase
WashU
USC
Emory

Anyone has any opinion about AGH vs MSU? Clinically AGH offers strong balanced training and i am inclined to it. Does the university status automatically places the program ahead? What are the chances of going into semi-academic to academic setting from a community program?
I will really appreciate any input. Going back and forth between these two. Thanks

I am in similar dilemma regarding some of my programs. I looked into how many previous graduates ended up in PP Vs academic positions... and based on that made my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.