Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colorado rejection.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor University Dallas Invite today. They became hem/onc instead of medical onc starting this year. Any thoughts on this program? thank you!!

How would to judge following programs for malignant heme..
Univ. of Mass
MCW -
Univ. of Cincinnati
University of Florida
Baylor - Texas
UT southwestern
Rochester
Univ. of Maryland

Need to cancel 1 or 2.

Thank you,
I would cancel UF-shands. I interviewed there and wasn't impressed by the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on Howard University? The website is totally worthless for any info...
It is not a strong program. They are known for Sickle cell and do a rotation in Hopkins. Other than that it is a weak program for academically oriented individuals.

It's a local program for me....kind of dead end if you are looking for academic career. Pretty good for those who are interested in private practice.Most fellows I know ends up in private practice.
Thank you very much for the input!!

I got an email from loma linda that they want a letter of good standing from med staff office (since I am a hospitalist) to complete my app... this late in the cycle !

Happy October. I just cancelled one interview. Who knows, maybe we all get one more surprise this month

Anyone been to Houston Methodist so far? I am looking primarily at GI vs lymphoma exposure.
Any ideas how is that program - Any input will help so I can decide if its reasonable to go there for an interview or not ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma linda interview today ! on same day as Cincinnati.. any advise any one ??

Did anyone notice the "group interview" thing on UAMS schedule? what is that......

ps Boston reject today.

Last edited:
Anyone finished interview at Baylor,houston?

Last edited:
Hi, I need some advice please. I went to UMN and liked the program a lot. I am interested in academia and malignant heme and honestly they are one of the best to fit my interest. My only concern, which I am not sure if it is important, is the weather. I have a four year old son and for the first year of fellowship I will be alone with my son and my husband will join us later on. I heard from native applicants that children in this weather suffer and can get frostbite when the weather gets to it's worst in Jan and for that reason schools close. Of course wherever I go I will need to hire a nanny to help me but I am still apprehensive about the weather. I am not sure if that is enough to push UMN down in my list. I love the program but my son's safety is priority. Please advise. My current list of programs that I will rank are:

1) UW
2) UMN
3) USC
4) Arizona
5) MCW
6) Baylor university Dallas.
7) univ of Tennessee
8) methodist Houston

I would really like your opinions and advise regarding Minnesota and if the above rank is reasonable. Thank you very much for all your help.

Hi, I need some advice please. I went to UMN and liked the program a lot. I am interested in academia and malignant heme and honestly they are one of the best to fit my interest. My only concern, which I am not sure if it is important, is the weather. I have a four year old son and for the first year of fellowship I will be alone with my son and my husband will join us later on. I heard from native applicants that children in this weather suffer and can get frostbite when the weather gets to it's worst in Jan and for that reason schools close. Of course wherever I go I will need to hire a nanny to help me but I am still apprehensive about the weather. I am not sure if that is enough to push UMN down in my list. I love the program but my son's safety is priority. Please advise. My current list of programs that I will rank are:

1) UW
2) UMN
3) USC
4) Arizona
5) MCW
7) univ of Tennessee
8) methodist Houston

I would really like your opinions and advise regarding Minnesota and if the above rank is reasonable. Thank you very much for all your help.

I wouldn't change anything if I were you especially that you're interested in malignant heme which UMN is one of the best places to go for. I'm sure you'll manage. at the end of the day, you're not going to be the only working "single" mom in Minneapolis.

1) UW
2) UMN
3) USC
4) Arizona
5) MCW
7) univ of Tennessee
8) methodist Houston

Does W up there in UW stand for Washington or Wisconsin? Because if it's the latter, it's pretty much the same issue weather-wise as UMinn.

Now, you may be surprised to discover this, but 4 year olds have been surviving Minnesota winters for hundreds of years, usually with all 20 digits intact. I'm not saying that winter in the upper midwest doesn't suck (because it does), but your kid is more likely to die of heatstroke in AZ or of being accidentally shot by some assault rifle-toting wackjob in a Wal-Mart in TX than from a Minnesota winter.

A much bigger issue is that you are likely to be as, if not more busy your first year of fellowship, than you were as an intern. With the exception of nights (which I didn't have to do in-house as a fellow), my first year of fellowship was much more labor intensive than my intern year. If your spouse isn't around, you're going to need at least 1 FT nanny, preferably 2 (since you don't have a backup when Nanny 1 gets sick).

Your rank list is reasonable but I'm not sure your plan for next year really is.

T
Does W up there in UW stand for Washington or Wisconsin? Because if it's the latter, it's pretty much the same issue weather-wise as UMinn.

Now, you may be surprised to discover this, but 4 year olds have been surviving Minnesota winters for hundreds of years, usually with all 20 digits intact. I'm not saying that winter in the upper midwest doesn't suck (because it does), but your kid is more likely to die of heatstroke in AZ or of being accidentally shot by some assault rifle-toting wackjob in a Wal-Mart in TX than from a Minnesota winter.

A much bigger issue is that you are likely to be as, if not more busy your first year of fellowship, than you were as an intern. With the exception of nights (which I didn't have to do in-house as a fellow), my first year of fellowship was much more labor intensive than my intern year. If your spouse isn't around, you're going to need at least 1 FT nanny, preferably 2 (since you don't have a backup when Nanny 1 gets sick).

Your rank list is reasonable but I'm not sure your plan for next year really is.
Thanks Lazarus and gut onc!!
UW stands for Washington. I appreciate your advice. Gutonc did you mean by my plan for next year isn't reasonable that I should have not applied for fellowship this year to start with? I am alone now since my husband is doing his residency out of state. My sister and a full time nanny are helping me. The only issue is that if i move to UMN I will be alone for the first year since I won't have my sister and my husband is still a second year.

How would you rank this list?
IU
UWis
UTSouthwest Texas
UMissouri
UNebraska
Providence Hospital Southfield

I have geographical preference to stay at IU so placed it on top.

Hi, I would like to ask your opinion on USC in terms of clinical training and whether its suitable for academically oriented fellows? When I asked them about protected time for research, I got contradictory answers.
Any thoughts on West Virginia Univ, just got invited on Friday?

PC said she will send me in the morning. Do you like the program ? Share your view on it
Thank you very much though.

My thoughts on the program...very clinically rigorous, will see everything under the sun, come out very clinically competent. I feel the research side is a bit lacking but they are working on it. They are very strong in breast and lymphoma.

Hey guys any views on Texas Tech. Lubbock? any one know anything about the program? thanks

Invite from Montefiore/Albert Einstein, declined due to conflicts, hopefully goes out to one of you who would like the invite!

1) UW
2) UMN
3) USC
4) Arizona
5) MCW
7) univ of Tennessee
8) methodist Houston

The winters in MN quite frankly suck - lots of ice, cold, dead trees. At least with the weather in Seattle it is green outside most of the year. More importantly, if it is important for you/kid to have outside playing space year round, a nanny that won't cancel because his/her car doesn't start, access to beaches, than MN is not your bet.

How is Georgia Regents University' Hematology/ Oncology program ?? give feedback on overall strength....received invitation today with one date only... will go only if it is a good program.

How is Georgia Regents University' Hematology/ Oncology program ?? give feedback on overall strength....received invitation today with one date only... will go only if it is a good program.
It's not. And based on the other interviews you've got, not worth the trip.

a very late IV to Georgetown ... would probably decline ... is it worth it at this point?

What do you guys think about this rank order?

IU
UWis
UTSouthwest Texas
UMissouri
UNebraska
Providence Hospital Southfield

I have geographical preference for IU so placed it on top.

Are you otherwise happy with your list so far?

I am happy and I don't believe Georgetown would make it to my top 5 ... I applied there because they seemed to focus on solids with a heavy GI focus and DC is a good city.. If I had the interview earlier I might have gone there instead of a few places at the lower half of my list. But this late, I don't think I need to go to a place that I would rank 5 or 6. statistically speaking and looking at the NRMP charts, I shouldn't drop that low (I hope not :eyebrow:)

Rutgers-RWJ vs Medical College of Georgia?
Are these two places comparable or is RWJ a much better program?
My goal is well balanced program with more interest in solids.

Gutonc, can you please compare Medical college of Georgia and Henry Ford Hospital? I am interested more in malignant hem.

For those of you have interviewed at USC, did you get a clear idea on what the curriculum structure was?
Year 1: Heme+ 1 month vacation
Year 2: Onc + 1 month vacation, 3 1/2 day continuity clinics
Year 3: Pick heme or onc

-How was the CC structured?
-How many inpatient months were required?
-Also, in the 3rd year, was it more flexible. From my impression, they seemed to imply that you could do whatever you want in your third year.

For those of you have interviewed at USC, did you get a clear idea on what the curriculum structure was?
Year 1: Heme+ 1 month vacation
Year 2: Onc + 1 month vacation, 3 1/2 day continuity clinics
Year 3: Pick heme or onc

-How was the CC structured?
-How many inpatient months were required?
-Also, in the 3rd year, was it more flexible. From my impression, they seemed to imply that you could do whatever you want in your third year.

If that's truly what the schedule looks like, I gotta say it's a very strange schedule

Gutonc, can you please compare Medical college of Georgia and Henry Ford Hospital? I am interested more in malignant hem.

One is a university running like a community and the other is a community running like a mid-tier university. You'll get good clinical training in both that would set you up well for private practice. Very little chance of pursuing an academic career out of either one of them.

Thank you visari. When I interviewed at HFH they said that almost 2/3 of the fellows go to academics. As per the current faculty, people have gone to many good programs in academics.

MCG/GRU faculty have their own labs, and they even said they are in the process of getting transplant fellowship approved. I am not very much interested in basic science research but I do plan for academics.

I recently interviewed at UAMS, but did not like the program much. Faculty did not seem welcoming and their hem is not very strong although they do have myeloma institute but it works separately.

If that's truly what the schedule looks like, I gotta say it's a very strange schedule

Hematology and Oncology are separate divisions there so the scheduling is kind of weird which is what is making me really confused. From what they described, it seems like you are in EITHER hematology or oncology CC which seems a bit disjointed to me.

Hematology and Oncology are separate divisions there so the scheduling is kind of weird which is what is making me really confused. From what they described, it seems like you are in EITHER hematology or oncology CC which seems a bit disjointed to me.
NYU is like that too. Total deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.