Official 2012-2013 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone have information on USC? have heard it's malignant...true?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have information on USC? have heard it's malignant...true?

Busy (which it is) and malignant (which I have no firsthand information about) are two different things. I will say that I've interviewed several USC residents for fellowship this year and they all applied/interviewed there.

Busy (which it is) and malignant (which I have no firsthand information about) are two different things. I will say that I've interviewed several USC residents for fellowship this year and they all applied/interviewed there.

thanks for the info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi! was wondering if anyone had suggestions for rankings?

looking for good clinical training, supportive environment. interested in malignant heme, possible bmt. hoping to be academic clinician in the future. location not important.

univ of IL-chicago
tufts
tulane
vcu
umdnj
mcw
u of florida
cook county
ut-san antonio
indiana
univ of mo-kansas city
saint louis u
u of arizona
usc

thanks for the help...best of luck!

Okay, trying to rank my list. Would greatly appreciate any info on these programs in terms of training based on my career goals:

Overall good heme/solid training- interested in malig heme but also breast. Want to do academics. I have significant bench research, but looking to do more translational or clinical research and leave the bench behind. Location not all that important.

And the list is....

Yale
JHU
OHSU
University of Wisconsin
Wash U
Case Western
University of Colorado
Wake
UC Davis
Thomas Jefferson
VCU

Appreciate any help! Thanks.

I am interested in Genomics and malignant hem. Can someone comment on the comparative academic strengths in the following places: MSKCC, Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Yale, and BIDMC. Many thanks.

As someone who knows the program well , I can tell you that malignant and benign heme is very strong at Cornell, arguably much stronger than MSKCC( which rules solids!). Cornell has senior/nationally known faculty in Lymphoma, Leukemia and MDS and is expanding quickly. BMT is also expanding rapidly under the leadership of a senior director recruited last year from the University of Chicago , they do Autos, MRDs, MUDs, double cords and haplo/Cords. There is a strong basic science presence with a focus on hematology, epigenetics, stem cells and vascular biology. The chief of lymphoma ( John Leonard) has been recently given the additional responsibility of vice dean for clinical research so hopefully the translational component will grow even bigger. Benign heme has been traditionally very strong with many senior , mid-career and junior faculty members.

Hi,

I am trying to rank my IV's and will appreciate any info on these programs

So far, I have worked in AML/MDS ... but I want a program strong in both heme/solid training. Wish to be an academic clinician...want to work more in translational research, clinical outcomes/ decision making. not interested in bench research.. Location not important.

U Pitt
Vanderbilt
Indiana Univeristy
Monte
Roswell Park
U of Miami

NYU vs cornell for heme/onc. Want to train for both but eventually solids in academics. Also scratching my head about UMich- great program but good enoug to justify living in ann arbor vs NYC? Completely subjective, but wanted to get opinions.

I am an MD/PhD wanting to do academics and mostly bench research. I don't have a clear preference between solids and malignant heme.

I wanted to know how much difference there is in terms of future job prospects coming from MSKCC or Dana Farber versus places like Hopkins, UW, UCSF, Penn.

I know success in the lab and specific mentor matter more, but how much weight does the institution itself pull when trying to land an academic job?

I am an MD/PhD wanting to do academics and mostly bench research. I don't have a clear preference between solids and malignant heme.

I wanted to know how much difference there is in terms of future job prospects coming from MSKCC or Dana Farber versus places like Hopkins, UW, UCSF, Penn.

I know success in the lab and specific mentor matter more, but how much weight does the institution itself pull when trying to land an academic job?

You just listed 6 of the top 10-20 programs. Are you seriously trying to differentiate between MSKCC/Farber and Hopkins/UCSF? Because that's a fools errand.

I'm not going to argue that name/rep/connections don't matter (because they do, to some degree) but they don't differ...at all... in the list of programs you have.

Probably your best chances of getting academic jobs are within the location of your fellowship program...So part of it depends on where you want to live. That being said, places like MSKCC, the Farber, MD Anderson, UW, UCSF, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, UChicago, Duke etc. can get you jobs anywhere. Many programs I interviewed at would try to sell their program by saying things like we recruited so and so from Dana Farber or from Sloan, etc. So obviously it makes some difference, although people can have very productive research based careers at smaller academic institutions too.

Any input about hem/onc fellowship training in Mayo clinic Rochester , both clinic and academic wise? It seems rarely discussed. How's job market for the graduates from this program?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hi! was wondering if anyone had suggestions for rankings?

looking for good clinical training, supportive environment. interested in malignant heme, possible bmt. hoping to be academic clinician in the future. location not important.

univ of IL-chicago
tufts
tulane
vcu
umdnj
mcw
u of florida
cook county
ut-san antonio
indiana
univ of mo-kansas city
saint louis u
u of arizona
usc

thanks for the help...best of luck!

Indiana
Arizona
VCU

Florida
MCW
USC
Tufts
Illinois
UMDNJ

You won't go below these 8.

It boils down to do you like living in Indianapolis, Tucson, or Richmond. They are your top three programs.

Okay, trying to rank my list. Would greatly appreciate any info on these programs in terms of training based on my career goals:

Overall good heme/solid training- interested in malig heme but also breast. Want to do academics. I have significant bench research, but looking to do more translational or clinical research and leave the bench behind. Location not all that important.

And the list is....

Yale
JHU
OHSU
University of Wisconsin
Wash U
Case Western
University of Colorado
Wake
UC Davis
Thomas Jefferson
VCU

Appreciate any help! Thanks.
For heme and heme malig.

Top Tier -> OHSU, Wisconsin, WashU, JHU
2nd Tier -> VCU, Case Western, Jefferson, Wake, Colorado

I personally would do

1. OHSU vs JHU toss up.
3. WashU
4. Wisconsin
5. Case Western
Wake vs VCU tossup
Colorado vs Jefferson tossup.

Hi,

I am trying to rank my IV's and will appreciate any info on these programs

So far, I have worked in AML/MDS ... but I want a program strong in both heme/solid training. Wish to be an academic clinician...want to work more in translational research, clinical outcomes/ decision making. not interested in bench research.. Location not important.

U Pitt
Vanderbilt
Indiana Univeristy
Monte
Roswell Park
U of Miami

Looks like a good order to except bump Roswell Park up above Monte.

Hi folks,
As it is closing to the end of the season, I tried to make my ROL.
1. Columbia
2. Mayo (Rochester)
3. UW
4. UPMC
5. Fox chase
6. Case western
7. Univ. of Iowa
8. Emory
9. Mt. Saini
10. Baylor
11. Tufts
12. BU

I put Columbia as my first choice due to their strong basic research and the location. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Nice list, I like it:))

Hi folks,
As it is closing to the end of the season, I tried to make my ROL.
1. Columbia
2. Mayo (Rochester)
3. UW
4. UPMC
5. Fox chase
6. Case western
7. Univ. of Iowa
8. Emory
9. Mt. Saini
10. Baylor
11. Tufts
12. BU

I put Columbia as my first choice due to their strong basic research and the location. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Question for everyone-

What is the etiquette for emailing PD of your top choice once your rank list is done to say that you are ranking them first? Is this something one does or not?

Yes, I think it is completely appropriate to email to let your top choice know that they are number 1. But don't expect a reply or an affirmation from the other end. Our residency program director tells us all to email our no.1.

Hi folks,

I am not sure which one to rank higher - Stony Brook, NY or Lehigh Valley, PA. I'm interested in solid tumors and looking for a career in private/group practice.

Between the two, the Stony Brook program is better established. Lehigh Valley is just beginning to offer the fellowship starting 2013 but it has been the clinical site for Penn State Hematology/Oncology program for quite some time now.

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Am I crazy flying from NJ to TX for an interview on Monday when everybody else at eastcoast now stay at home to wait for Sandy?

What's the story on the University of Chicago?
I liked the program, but I've heard they have had some financial problems?

Also, some feedback on this rank list...I like malignant heme.

Hutchinson
Sloan
MD anderson
U of Chicago
Farber
WashU
Moffit
NYU
Cornell
Vandy
Columbia
Mayo
Penn
Fox

Hutchinson
Sloan
MD anderson
U of Chicago
Farber
WashU
Moffit
NYU
Cornell
Vandy
Columbia
Mayo
Penn
Fox

My feedback is that you pretty much listed the top 15 cancer centers in the country and that the rest of us would love to get even one of those interviews.

Hutchinson
Sloan
MD anderson
U of Chicago
Farber
WashU
Moffit
NYU
Cornell
Vandy
Columbia
Mayo
Penn
Fox

UChicago's doing well funding-wise; PM if you have specific questions.

My feedback is that you pretty much listed the top 15 cancer centers in the country and that the rest of us would love to get even one of those interviews.

I ditto that!

That's old news. This is the sort of thing that takes about 5 years longer to clear out of the rumor mill than it does to actually fix the problem. I wouldn't worry about it. I know a bunch of recent grads of their program and they all loved it.

Hutchinson
Sloan
MD anderson
U of Chicago
Farber
WashU
Moffit
NYU
Cornell
Vandy
Columbia
Mayo
Penn
Fox

For malignant heme, Hutch, MDACC, Cornell and Fox Chase are your best bets in that list. Vandy, Mayo and MSKCC are probably the weakest in that regard.

Yes, I think it is completely appropriate to email to let your top choice know that they are number 1. But don't expect a reply or an affirmation from the other end. Our residency program director tells us all to email our no.1.

I was told by someone involved in a fellowship selection committee that this info helps them "shape" a class - balance out the solid/liquid and bench/clinical in the group. For what it's worth, I emailed my #1 and got a very polite, non-informative response.

any comments on UPMC vs Columbia for training in solid tumor as academic clinician? thanks.

any comments on UPMC vs Columbia for training in solid tumor as academic clinician? thanks.

Columbia has the bigger name but I think I'd personally prefer Pitt, and that place is certainly no slouch, especially in GI oncology. I should point out that I did not interview either place. You're going to be fine at either one so choose the one you liked better.

Columbia has the bigger name but I think I'd personally prefer Pitt, and that place is certainly no slouch, especially in GI oncology. I should point out that I did not interview either place. You're going to be fine at either one so choose the one you liked better.
Thanks a lot, Gutonc:)

Need some help...trying decide between NIH vs MSSM vs Columbia. Interested in academic career in translational-maybe bench research. Lean toward malignant heme and have a moderate NY preference, though I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much in career preparation. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Need some help...trying decide between NIH vs MSSM vs Columbia. Interested in academic career in translational-maybe bench research. Lean toward malignant heme and have a moderate NY preference, though I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much in career preparation. Thanks all!

You're not going to lose much/anything from choosing any one of those places. Personally, I'd go for the NIH program just because I think the career options might be a touch better, but this is one situation where you can't really go wrong ranking with your gut.

You're not going to lose much/anything from choosing any one of those places. Personally, I'd go for the NIH program just because I think the career options might be a touch better, but this is one situation where you can't really go wrong ranking with your gut.

Very helpful....thanks Gutonc

I have my top 3 spots and bottom rank figured out but am still thinking about my middle programs which are maryland, thomas jefferson, columbia, and nih. I liked my interviews at maryland and jefferson more than columbia and am concerned about the clinical training at the nih. I want to doacademics and want a diverse training but lean more toward heme . Columbia just recruited much more malignant heme faculty. I guess I was wondering if columbia is that much better in preparation for academics than maryland or jefferson to make a jump over my interview impressions. As it stands now:

Hopkins
Sinai
Unc
Maryland
Jefferson
Columbia
Nci
Baylor
Michigan
Georgetown

Last edited:
I`m feeling very hesitant about submitting my list. Here`s what I think it should be like, but I need input from you guys.

1- Mayo ( Rochester)
2- Jefferson
3- Fox Chase
4- Tulane
5- Allegheny ( Pittsburgh)
6- Lankenau ( philly)
7- Drexel
8- UVA
9- Uni of Vermont
10- Penn state Hershey
11- St. Elizabeth Caritas ( Boston)

I`d really appreciate your opinion.

I`m feeling very hesitant about submitting my list. Here`s what I think it should be like, but I need input from you guys.

1- Mayo ( Rochester)
2- Jefferson
3- Fox Chase
4- Tulane
5- Allegheny ( Pittsburgh)
6- Lankenau ( philly)
7- Drexel
8- UVA
9- Uni of Vermont
10- Penn state Hershey
11- St. Elizabeth Caritas ( Boston)

I`d really appreciate your opinion.

I'd personally move UVA way up on the list (like 2 or 3, def ahead of Tulane, maybe ahead of Jeff) and probably swap Fox Chase and Jeff. Otherwise it's not a bad list as it is.

For malignant heme, Hutch, MDACC, Cornell and Fox Chase are your best bets in that list. Vandy, Mayo and MSKCC are probably the weakest in that regard.

I agree. MSKCC has been trying to beef up their liquids program, but its a slow process, and their leukemia/lymphoma programs are not up to par (not terrible, but not as good as their solids). They just recruited a new head of lymphoma from MD Anderson, so things are changing, but historically, places like the farber, md anderson (particular strength in leukemia and transplant, but good heme all around), hutch (for transplant in particular) are better bets.

All strong programs though, you'll do fine at any of those.. Good luck!

Im leaning to solids over heme malignancy and academic over private practice but i dont want to fully r/o anything just yet - my current rank list is below. My biggest dilemma has been deciding between yale and nih - from what i have seen it appears yale offers a better opportunity at private practice and maybe just clinical heme / onc in general but nih offers better placement in academic positions - what are your thought?

JHU
Columbia
NCI/NIH
Yale
CINJ/RWJ
Montefiore
Maryland
Tufts
BU
LIJ

Im leaning to solids over heme malignancy and academic over private practice but i dont want to fully r/o anything just yet - my current rank list is below. My biggest dilemma has been deciding between yale and nih - from what i have seen it appears yale offers a better opportunity at private practice and maybe just clinical heme / onc in general but nih offers better placement in academic positions - what are your thought?

JHU
Columbia
NCI/NIH
Yale
CINJ/RWJ
Montefiore
Maryland
Tufts
BU
LIJ

Nothing wrong with that list.

I'd personally move UVA way up on the list (like 2 or 3, def ahead of Tulane, maybe ahead of Jeff) and probably swap Fox Chase and Jeff. Otherwise it's not a bad list as it is.

Thank you so much Gutonc for replying. I`m sorry I also forgot to mention westchester ( Valhalla) where would you place that on the list?

I have my top 3 spots and bottom rank figured out but am still thinking about my middle programs which are maryland, thomas jefferson, columbia, and nih. I liked my interviews at maryland and jefferson more than columbia and am concerned about the clinical training at the nih. I want to doacademics and want a diverse training but lean more toward heme . Columbia just recruited much more malignant heme faculty. I guess I was wondering if columbia is that much better in preparation for academics than maryland or jefferson to make a jump over my interview impressions. As it stands now:

Hopkins
Sinai
Unc
Maryland
Jefferson
Columbia
Nci
Baylor
Michigan
Georgetown

Any thoughts?

Wanted to get some thoughts on my rank list; interested in academics, focusing on cancer genomics and outcomes research.

1. Uchicago
2. Mt. Sinai
3. Fox Chase
4. NYU
5. Tufts
6. Baystate
7. LIJ

I know there are rules about what a program can ask us. But in my e-mail to them stating that they are my first choice, can I ask them to comment on how they would rank me? Is that kosher or even advisable?

Thanks!

Any thoughts?

With a list like that I don't think you really need to worry about the middle or bottom of your list. That said, the advantages of a place like NCI or Columbia over some place like Jeff or Maryland is going to be in the research/mentoring/recommendation setting, not necessarily the clinical training. So if you liked Maryland that much better than Columbia, rank it higher.

I know there are rules about what a program can ask us. But in my e-mail to them stating that they are my first choice, can I ask them to comment on how they would rank me? Is that kosher or even advisable?

Thanks!

Neither kosher nor advisable. You and programs may tell each other anything you like (it's nice if it's the truth but...meh...whatever) but you may not ask each other about your place on the other's rank list, nor make deals/promises about it.