Official 2012-2013 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gutonc or any one, please give me some comments on my ranking. I want to get good training in both hem and onc, In future may focus on solid tumor. I want to stay in academic center. Thanks.

Mayo clinic in Rochester
UPMC
Fox chase
Columbia
Maryland
Roswell park

Thanks in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone also receive the following email by NRMP support center? I certified my ROL. But they said "as of 10:30pm eastern time", which is still 12 hours away. Is it a mistake? I am freaking out!

MSMP Ranking Deadline

Dear Medical Specialties Fellowship Match Applicant:

Our records show that as of 10:30 p.m. eastern time today, November 13th, you have not yet entered and/or certified your RANK ORDER LIST of preferred programs in the R3 system.

Did not get this message. Make sure you have the green "Certified ROL" next to your status and you should be good to go.

Did not get this message. Make sure you have the green "Certified ROL" next to your status and you should be good to go.

Thanks. :), I think I am good now. Best of luck to everyone of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
very confused, need last minute advice bout the middle part of my list:

- Allegheny general ( Pittsburgh)
- Tulane
- westchester medical center ( Valhalla, NY)
- uni of vermont
- Drexel
- Lankenau
- Penn state Hershey
- St. Elizabeth caritas ( boston)

would really appreciate your input, hope to hear back from you guys asap, thanks.

very confused, need last minute advice bout the middle part of my list:

- Allegheny general ( Pittsburgh)
- Tulane
- westchester medical center ( Valhalla, NY)
- uni of vermont
- Drexel
- Lankenau
- Penn state Hershey
- St. Elizabeth caritas ( boston)

would really appreciate your input, hope to hear back from you guys asap, thanks.

I'd put Penn State on the top of that group and the rest however you liked them. There's no clear academic ranking in that group.

How would you rank?

West Virginia
Alleghany
Cincinnati
Louisville
Tennessee
Medical College Georgia
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Univ Missouri
Univ Kansas

Like Heme and Onc both. Looking for solid training to be a teaching faculty at University program or private practice.

Thank you

Just for fun. Would you guys be interested in posting your final rank list. I ll go first.

1. Medical College of Wisconsin.
2. University Missouri
3. University of Kansas
4. West Virginia
5. University of Louisville
6. University of Tennessee
7. Medical College of Georgia
8. University of Cincinnati

Didn't rank Alleghany and St. Louis.

1 univ of Rochester NY
2. Ohio state
3. Roswell
4. VCU
5. Jefferson
6. Maryland

Goo luck to all

On the night rank lists were due, I changed my second and third choices with 10 minutes to go....

I feel horrible.

It was because of an internal debate between significant other issues and program strengths...

Feel absolutely horrible...

Yeah I can sympathize with that. The question is how different in the programs

At one point, I thought the program that is now number 3 was my dream program.

I never even liked the program that is number 2, but its close to my signficant other.

I'm afraid if I match at my number 2, I will blame my SO...

Did this happen to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
At one point, I thought the program that is now number 3 was my dream program.

I never even liked the program that is number 2, but its close to my signficant other.

I'm afraid if I match at my number 2, I will blame my SO...

Did this happen to anyone else?

Have to agree with you.

If there is a big separation between 2 and 3 In terms of training I would not be happy. Especially if #2 would not have even been in your top 5 based purely on reputation.

Let's pray you match #1.

To be completely honest - my new number 2 is:

an NCI comprehensive cancer center
a top 20 cancer hospital according to US News
a top 20 medical school according to US News
and in the same city as my significant other

I just didn't like it when I interviewed there. Heavy call, work load, little teaching, etc. etc. I got a bad feeling about it.

My old number 2 was in a great city, with very little call, nice people, great career opportunities, and an unusually good reputation in academics.

Honestly, I can't sleep now because of this. I think I made a big mistake!

Last edited:

I just didn't like it when I interviewed there. Heavy call, work load, little teaching, etc. etc. I got a bad feeling about it.

My old number 2 was in a great city, with very little call, nice people, great career opportunities, and an unusually good reputation in academics.

I understand.

But this is Heme/Onc, not Cardiology or even GI. How hard can call be? AlsO don't fellows take home call? Lastly, I thought most programs have protected research time in 2nd and 3rd year fellowship.

I would appreciate learning this from because I am applying next year.

I understand.

But this is Heme/Onc, not Cardiology or even GI. How hard can call be? AlsO don't fellows take home call? Lastly, I thought most programs have protected research time in 2nd and 3rd year fellowship.

I would appreciate learning this from because I am applying next year.

Call schedules can really vary. "Home calls" at my home institution are brutal. Our hem/onc fellows come in and stay most of the night for ~50% of their calls. And since its technically home call they work the entire following day. Our fellows unanimously told me that the first year of fellowship was tougher than any year of residency.

At most other institutions i was told that "the first year is tough but its still easier than anything in residency". At some programs the fellows told me they came in to the hospital twice in three years of calls and that taking call amounted to dealing with 6-8 phone calls a night, all usually before 12 am.

All the top programs have signficant protected research time. Mid tier programs will vary- some will give 3-6 months tops. It all depends on what you're looking for and what program you're able to match at.

Okay...we need to help change your thinking about this. Words such as "sacrifice" and "resentment" are counterproductive.

First of all, you can't think of it as "sacrificing" your number 2 choice and moving it down the rank list. You made a CHOICE, and it honestly sounds like the right one. You have a significant other and plan to be with that person, so to do so, you made a choice so you can be with this person. It sounds better than the other option of living in a different city and coming home to an empty house. So, yes, it may be the less ideal choice, but a choice it is. I had to make a similar choice for my family for residency. Do I blame them? No, of course not. I am not in this journey by myself, and their happiness is just as important as my career goals. I will not be on my deathbed thinking..."If only I could have gone to X residency instead of Y my life would have been perfect." So, are things in terms of applying to fellowship less than ideal? Yes. But it is what it is and I am making the best of it.

Second, you need to change your mind set or all you will do is suffer. You are already suffering with the thought of having to go to your new #2. There can be great fellows at less strong programs, and bad fellows at great programs, so where ever you end up, focus on being a great doctor and you will do fine. You may have a different set of challenges to face, but instead of harping on the program and things you have no control over, focus on yourself and come up with a plan to thrive. Do this and you will be fine where ever you go.

So, relax. Don't panic. You made a choice and I don't think there really are such things as "right" or "wrong" choices. You made the choice that best suits your life right now. So breathe. And then let it go.

On the night rank lists were due, I changed my second and third choices with 10 minutes to go....

I feel horrible.

It was because of an internal debate between significant other issues and program strengths...

Feel absolutely horrible...

You are not alone. I made the similar choice though not at the last minute. I switched a program I really like but there is little job opportunity for my husband to a program with busy call schedule and less teaching/research but my husband likes the location. I am still not sure if it is the right decision for me...

okay...we need to help change your thinking about this. Words such as "sacrifice" and "resentment" are counterproductive.

First of all, you can't think of it as "sacrificing" your number 2 choice and moving it down the rank list. You made a choice, and it honestly sounds like the right one. You have a significant other and plan to be with that person, so to do so, you made a choice so you can be with this person. It sounds better than the other option of living in a different city and coming home to an empty house. So, yes, it may be the less ideal choice, but a choice it is. I had to make a similar choice for my family for residency. Do i blame them? No, of course not. I am not in this journey by myself, and their happiness is just as important as my career goals. I will not be on my deathbed thinking..."if only i could have gone to x residency instead of y my life would have been perfect." so, are things in terms of applying to fellowship less than ideal? Yes. But it is what it is and i am making the best of it.

Second, you need to change your mind set or all you will do is suffer. You are already suffering with the thought of having to go to your new #2. There can be great fellows at less strong programs, and bad fellows at great programs, so where ever you end up, focus on being a great doctor and you will do fine. You may have a different set of challenges to face, but instead of harping on the program and things you have no control over, focus on yourself and come up with a plan to thrive. Do this and you will be fine where ever you go.

So, relax. Don't panic. You made a choice and i don't think there really are such things as "right" or "wrong" choices. You made the choice that best suits your life right now. So breathe. And then let it go.

well said.

Agreed. That post is the most down-to-earth, true-to-life thing I have ever read on SDN. Everyone here acts like their self worth is directly tied to the prestige of their training program. There is more to life than medicine. And even within medicine, you will only be as successful as your own effort, regardless of where you train. If we should learn anything from our chosen field it is this: life is short and life is precious. Pay attention to what matters.

Well if family matters most, one can argue one should rank a community practice program over MD Anderson.

We all say family is important but how many really rank a top ten program below a program near family?

Some numbers to ponder - taken from the nrmp website - results and data on fellowship matches for appointment year 2012- (page 21 table 5)

% of heme/on applicants who get their first choice in match: 37%
% of heme/on applicants who get their second choice in match: 12%
% of heme/on applicants who get their third choice in match: 5%
% of heme/on applicants who get lower than their third choice in match: 8%
% of heme/on applicants who match in another specialty: 6%
% of heme/on applicants who do not match: 29%

interested in your thoughts

Some numbers to ponder - taken from the nrmp website - results and data on fellowship matches for appointment year 2012- (page 21 table 5)

% of heme/on applicants who get their first choice in match: 37%
% of heme/on applicants who get their second choice in match: 12%
% of heme/on applicants who get their third choice in match: 5%
% of heme/on applicants who get lower than their third choice in match: 8%
% of heme/on applicants who match in another specialty: 6%
% of heme/on applicants who do not match: 29%

interested in your thoughts

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? 2/3 of applicants match, the vast majority to one of their top 3 programs. 1/3 don't match. It would suck to be in that 1/3. Not sure what more you can or want to draw from this data.

Dumb question. Do we get an email the monday prior to match to state if we matched or not (like residency match)? Cant seem to get an answer on NRPM website.

Reactions: 1 user
Dumb question. Do we get an email the monday prior to match to state if we matched or not (like residency match)? Cant seem to get an answer on NRPM website.

From the NRMP website:

Applicants who learn at 12:00 noon eastern time on Match Day that they did not match to a program can access the List of Unfilled Programs that displays available positions for unmatched applicants. Sharing Match information from the R3 system, including the List of Unfilled Programs, with individuals not authorized to receive it or posting Match information to any web site or non-NRMP-related matching service is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement.

Applicants also can access the following documents that are posted to the R3 system at 12:00 noon eastern time on Match Day:

- Match Outcome for All Programs by State, displays the number of positions offered and filled for all programs in the Match.
- Match Results Statistics, provides detailed statistical information about the programs, positions, and applicants in the Match.

So most applicants who match wind up at their first choice (57 percent). And 90 percent at their top 3. I guess 14 interviews was too many looking back...

Well here's hoping I'm one of the 57 percent who gets the first choice.

On another note, does anyone know if it is illegal to contact programs now?

Does anyone happen to know how many internal candidates UPMC has for their fellowship this year?

I heard a rumor that UPMC has a fellow overnight call in the hospital. Is this true ?

I do know that they cover multiple hospitals - including Magee Women's, Shadyside, Presby, the VA and I think one other. This is split between 7 (or 8, I'm not sure) fellows, but it is still a lot of call. If one of the hospitals (ie Presby) is busy enough at night, it becomes overnight call de facto...

So, I guess what I'm saying is that there is certainly *some* overnight call at UPMC.

They did a good job of downplaying the call situation during the interview.

I know one applicant that ranked West Virginia above UPMC specifically for call reasons and he wants to do private practice. Apparently UPMC has one of the worst call schedules of any program.

Long and hard journey for some of us. But the next few minutes will reveal THE REWARD. I learnt a lot from everyone of you on this forum. Goodluck to all!!!

eastlake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I am matched, but I don't know how to find out where I go to? how to find it out?

It should be on the first page when you log-in to NRMP R3 System. Below is the link..

https://services.nrmp.org/r3/home/login/login.cfm

Can anyone please let me know the open oncology positions

Can anyone please let me know the open oncology positions

If you were in the Match, you should have access to the unfilled (if any) spots. If you were not in the Match and someone gives you the list (including posting it here), that is a Match violation and the NRMP will come down on both of you (plus the SDN mods will get mad...but that's a minor thing compared to losing a spot and a chance to re-enter the match).

Congratulations for all the applicants, can`t believe it`s finally over!! Would you like to share where everyone matched at so that we might get to know our future colleagues? I matched at Mayo Clinic Rochester, anyone matched there too?

Thanks for everyones input and support over the last 6 months.

Matched at WUSTL!

To all those who matched, congratulations.

To those who did not, I'm sorry, but you still have options (unlike the residency match, you will be able to get a job as a physician in the fall) and there's always next year (if you choose to go that route).

To those who are disappointed in the results of your match...that sucks, and I get it. But it's better than the alternative.

Now everybody post where you matched, then get back to work...you're still expected to play ICU doc or cardiologist for the next few months.

Now that the hoopla is over. Can you guys give us future applicants some advice or anything interesting you picked up from the trail? Congrats again!

Now that the hoopla is over. Can you guys give us future applicants some advice or anything interesting you picked up from the trail? Congrats again!

Well it seemed that the most important aspects of your application are: 1) research; 2) clear career goals; 3) name reputation of your residency program; 4) LORs from familiar faculty; 5) regional preference/having prior fellows from your residency program having matched there.

There are lot of very good fellowship programs out there, and unlike in residency, I don't think it is so clear cut which ones provide superior training/opportunities/which ones have a bigger reputation, etc. The top fellowships are designed at training people for academic onc, and as a result, each might be strong in a particular niche. My guess at the more competitive fellowships (most of these I did not interview at,so total guess), which is not necessarily to say the best fellowships, is as follows...

tier I: Dana Farber, MSKCC, MDACC.
tier 2: Fred Hutch, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, Stanford
tier 3: Michigan, Mayo, Duke, Columbia, Chicago, OHSU
tier 4: Wash U, Northwestern, BID, Yale, Vanderbilt, UAB, UCLA, Hope, Cornell

I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones.