Official 2012-2013 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who would you pick between these couplings for pure training (not account for location). Pick one in each group. Thank you.

1. Iowa vs UAB
2. VCU vs UVA
3. Pitt vs Cleveland Clinic
4. UWisconsin vs Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Who would you pick between these couplings for pure training (not account for location). Pick one in each group. Thank you.

1. Iowa vs UAB
2. VCU vs UVA
3. Pitt vs Cleveland Clinic
4. UWisconsin vs Colorado

It would be helpful to know what you're interested in academically. Are you looking for an academic career or PP after fellowship? Solids or heme (or a mix)? Basic science research interest? Early phase clinical trial interest?

I won't go into my reasoning, but I'd pick:
1: Iowa
2: Toss-up (probably UVA)
3: Pitt...by a country mile
4. Colorado (by a hair's breadth)

With the exception of #3 (where there's really no other choice), reasonable arguments could be made for the other option in each of these cases.

Has anyone gone to Baylor interview yet? Can someone let me know when the day ends? I am trying to leave there by 2:30pm, is it practical?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gutonc, I was wondering if you could help me with my list. My interest is in academics, primarily solid malignancies. All of my previous research endeavors have been in thoracic oncology both the lab and clinical work. I'm not sure what I will be doing in terms of research but likely the lab. Location does not really matter but I'd rather live in good city. For now, my list looks like:

1. OSU
2. Colorado
3. UTHSCSA
4. UTSW
5. UPMC
6. Maryland
7. City of Hope
8. UCI
9. Boston U
10. Wash U

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

It would be helpful to know what you're interested in academically. Are you looking for an academic career or PP after fellowship? Solids or heme (or a mix)? Basic science research interest? Early phase clinical trial interest?

With the exception of #3 (where there's really no other choice), reasonable arguments could be made for the other option in each of these cases.
Gutonc, How do UPMC and Cleveland clinic rank as places for academic malignant heme?
Also why do you consider cleveland to be inferior- US news has it ranked at #6?

Gutonc, How do UPMC and Cleveland clinic rank as places for academic malignant heme?
Also why do you consider cleveland to be inferior- US news has it ranked at #6?

If USNews has CCF Hem/Onc ranked #6 in the country, I'm glad to hear that the coke is still flowing freely in at least one newsroom.

And to answer your relevant question, neither of them is particularly strong in malignant heme. Pitt is a great place for GI onc (especially liver) though.

Gutonc, I was wondering if you could help me with my list. My interest is in academics, primarily solid malignancies. All of my previous research endeavors have been in thoracic oncology both the lab and clinical work. I'm not sure what I will be doing in terms of research but likely the lab. Location does not really matter but I'd rather live in good city. For now, my list looks like:

1. OSU
2. Colorado
3. UTHSCSA
4. UTSW
5. UPMC
6. Maryland
7. City of Hope
8. UCI
9. Boston U
10. Wash U

Colorado, UPMC,UTSW are lung SPOREs. I can only speak about some. Gut onc may be able to give more insight...

Last edited:

Thanks Gutonc, I'm looking for a strong broad training program. Don't want to close doors for academics or private practice. Plus want to keep my options for liquid vs solid. Idk. Just trying to keep my options open as long as possible.

BTW, I find your post on UVA and VCU interesting. Been to both places, on paper UVA seems much stronger but after visiting VCU I learned they are the comprehensive cancer center in the state. Plus, malignant heme volume is much higher at VCU. Would never guessed .

I'm sure the UVA brand name will carry you far but VCU appears to have more pieces.

1. OSU
2. Colorado
3. UTHSCSA
4. UTSW
5. UPMC
6. Maryland
7. City of Hope
8. UCI
9. Boston U
10. Wash U

As mentioned, Colorado, UPMC and UTSW area all strong in lung research.

CoH and BU have minimal bench research options.

It would be hard to find a place with more basic science research opportunities than Wash U.

Colorado and UTHSCSA are both super strong in early phase clinical trials and their associated translational studies.

OSU is a strong, growing program. Not sure how they are in lung but they have the 2nd largest GI oncology program in the country (if you consider all the HMS programs a single combined program...otherwise they're the biggest).

I don't know much about the other places you mentioned.

Gutonc, one last question.Based purely on fellowship training reputation and strength how would you rank Iowa, Indiana, Ohio St, Pittsburgh, and Wisconsin.thank you

Gutonc, one last question.Based purely on fellowship training reputation and strength how would you rank Iowa, Indiana, Ohio St, Pittsburgh, and Wisconsin.thank you

Roughly equal to each other. Depends on what you're interested in.

Want to be a lymphoma or testicular expert? Indy
Want to be a lung or liver cancer expert? Pitt
Want to do GI cancer? OSU
Want good generalist training? Wisconsin

You can't really go wrong with any of those places. I mean...Indianapolis is a pit of despair, but the program is excellent.

Roughly equal to each other. Depends on what you're interested in.

Want to be a lymphoma or testicular expert? Indy
Want to be a lung or liver cancer expert? Pitt
Want to do GI cancer? OSU
Want good generalist training? Wisconsin

You can't really go wrong with any of those places. I mean...Indianapolis is a pit of despair, but the program is excellent.

Gutonc, lets say I wanted to be a junior faculty at an academic center after fellowship. Based on fellowship reputation who would you pick in each twosome.1. Indiana vs Wisconsin2. Iowa vs Ohio St.Thank you so much for your help.

In the majority of cases, you'll end up being a junior faculty at the program you trained at (programs prefer taking fellows that they know than the uncertain), so I think you need to take into consideration if your okay living in the city...

Members don't see this ad :)
Gutonc, lets say I wanted to be a junior faculty at an academic center after fellowship. Based on fellowship reputation who would you pick in each twosome.1. Indiana vs Wisconsin2. Iowa vs Ohio St.Thank you so much for your help.

Somewhere far away from me. All 4 of them fit that bill.

But honestly, none of those places are such powerhouses that you can write your own ticket coming out of there. You're going to get good training at any of those places and, if you're not a total tool (or perhaps if you are a total tool), you probably stand a decent chance at getting at least an instructor spot wherever you go for fellowship.

I mean, if you go to Indy and suck up to Larry Einhorn, you'll be doing OK for yourself. Head to OSU and become Tony Saab's b***h and the same is probably true. I'm less familiar with the superstars at Wisco and Iowa but I'm sure they exist.

(FTR...I've met both those dudes and they're super nice and wicked smart...but my point stands.)

Definitely disagree and would always pick VCU over UVA. Much more established and successful BMT. More distinct and diverse patient population and much more.

My opinion:

Michigan~=Mayo (with the caveats you already mentioned)>=Northwestern~=UChicago

Frankly, the differences between those programs are fairly minimal so go to the place you like the most...you can't really go wrong having any of those names on your CV.

Thanks for the responses. Finally, where do you think UCLA, beth israel, and Yale should fit in with this group. I do have a preference for being in the midwest. My impression of UCLA is that it was a smaller program, and probably not as strong as the major west coast programs like UW-seattle, Stanford, OHSU and UCSF. (I did not receive interviews at any of those 4.)

Thanks for the responses. Finally, where do you think UCLA, beth israel, and Yale should fit in with this group. I do have a preference for being in the midwest. My impression of UCLA is that it was a smaller program, and probably not as strong as the major west coast programs like UW-seattle, Stanford, OHSU and UCSF. (I did not receive interviews at any of those 4.)

I didn't interview at UCLA, but BI is a better program than Yale, in my opinion. I think overall the basic science is more etsablished, and Yale is just starting their Phase I program, while BI's has been intregrated into the training prgram for years. Also, Boston is a much better place than New Haven ;)

Just knew this website by friend's recommendation.

I am applying hemonc this year too.

I have a question Fox Chase vs University of Maryland, which one you prefer? please tell me your reason. I am getting confused. Thanks a lot.

Memorial Sloan vs. UCSF vs. UW anyone?

Memorial Sloan vs. UCSF vs. UW anyone?

Yes.

Liquid or solid? Clinician or basic scientist? Plan for academics or PP in the future? Which sounds more painful: stabbing yourself in the eye with a Jamshidi or being on the BMT service?

Tell us what you want or we can't help you.

I interviewed at all 3 of those places and really liked them but for very different reasons.

Yes.

Liquid or solid? Clinician or basic scientist? Plan for academics or PP in the future? Which sounds more painful: stabbing yourself in the eye with a Jamshidi or being on the BMT service?

Tell us what you want or we can't help you.

I interviewed at all 3 of those places and really liked them but for very different reasons.

I suppose I'll be able to weigh in more once I go to UW and UCSF over the next 2 weeks.

Personally, I'm looking to do liquids (possibly BMT), translational research, and academics. I think that MSKCC is a stronger solid and bench research program, but I still left with a positive feeling about it. Of the ones you listed, the Hutch is probably going to be my favorite, although I'm also looking at Stamford. I can report back at the end of the month :)

I suppose I'll be able to weigh in more once I go to UW and UCSF over the next 2 weeks.

Personally, I'm looking to do liquids (possibly BMT), translational research, and academics. I think that MSKCC is a stronger solid and bench research program, but I still left with a positive feeling about it. Of the ones you listed, the Hutch is probably going to be my favorite, although I'm also looking at Stamford. I can report back at the end of the month :)

If liquids and BMT are what you're after, UW and Stanford are where you want to be. MSKCC is definitely awesome, but leukemia is the bastard stepson there.

Which one did you like better? Go there.
Thank you Gutonc, but I like them both. Which program is stronger regarding the fellowship training? Before, they all rank in US news about 20-30's, but in the most updated one, Fox chase drop to 50, and UMM is number 11.
If you were me, which one you will choose? Thanks a lot.

Thank you Gutonc, but I like them both. Which program is stronger regarding the fellowship training? Before, they all rank in US news about 20-30's, but in the most updated one, Fox chase drop to 50, and UMM is number 11.
If you were me, which one you will choose? Thanks a lot.

1. Forget USNWR. Seriously, it's completely irrelevant.

2. What do you want to be when you grow up?

3. I'm not you. I have different interests, priorities and needs in a program than you probably do. So who cares which one I would pick...I already picked.

1. Forget USNWR. Seriously, it's completely irrelevant.

2. What do you want to be when you grow up?

3. I'm not you. I have different interests, priorities and needs in a program than you probably do. So who cares which one I would pick...I already picked.

thanks again. I want to do semi-academic, focused on patient care.

which is stronger, Fox chase or UMM?

What's the other ways we can assess the program regarding the fellowship training, if the ranking is irrelevant, thank you, Gutonc

thanks again. I want to do semi-academic, focused on patient care.

which is stronger, Fox chase or UMM?

What's the other ways we can assess the program regarding the fellowship training, if the ranking is irrelevant, thank you, Gutonc

I've been trying to lead you to this answer but you seem incapable of following it, so I'll be more blunt.

It doesn't F****ng matter. Rank the one you liked better higher. If you wind up in either of them, you'll be fine. Especially since you'll likely end up PP.

I've been trying to lead you to this answer but you seem incapable of following it, so I'll be more blunt.

It doesn't F****ng matter. Rank the one you liked better higher. If you wind up in either of them, you'll be fine. Especially since you'll likely end up PP.

:laugh::laugh:

You just brought the boom. I need to see that movie.

1) Does anybody know what is the process if you applied to HemOnc and Onc? My understanding is that you rank by desired program?
Any input will be highly appreciated;)

2)can someone comment on Oncoly fellowship Program at Baylor Dallas, and Oncology at UTMB Galveston?:confused:
Thank you very much!!
wish everybody matchs!!!:luck:

hey everyone, just wanted to get peoples opinions on the following programs. I'm looking at an academic career, with an interest in clinical/translational research in liquid tumors. Trying to figure out where Ill get solid training but at least make some headway on an academic career as well.

Mount Sinai [NYC], Tufts, Fox Chase, Montefiore, NYU

thanx!

hey everyone, just wanted to get peoples opinions on the following programs. I'm looking at an academic career, with an interest in clinical/translational research in liquid tumors. Trying to figure out where Ill get solid training but at least make some headway on an academic career as well.

Mount Sinai [NYC], Tufts, Fox Chase, Montefiore, NYU

thanx!

With the exception of FCCC, none of those places are particularly strong in liquids. MSSM and NYU are probably going to be the best "academic" programs with lots of research opportunities.

Wondering whats the national reputation of the philly programs- penn, jefferson and fox chase. Penn is obviously a big name but do the other programs have more than a regional reputation? I'd like to eventually practice on the west coast or the south (academic clinician or pp) and would like to know if those programs will open those doors.

I'll ask a reputation question too. Where does UNC stack up in comparison to the New England programs that are not Dana Farber (Tufts, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, etc)? Not sure about my desire for heme vs onc. Want to keep options open initially. I really enjoyed my interview day at UNC but leaving New England could cause palpitations.

I'll ask a reputation question too. Where does UNC stack up in comparison to the New England programs that are not Dana Farber (Tufts, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, etc)? Not sure about my desire for heme vs onc. Want to keep options open initially. I really enjoyed my interview day at UNC but leaving New England could cause palpitations.

It's as good or better than any of those other programs. I know a few former fellows from there and they really liked it.

How would you rank the following based on reputation/preparation for an academic career? Although leaning towards liquids, I'm also fine with doing solids and I will probably want to do whatever the program I end up in is stronger in, but primarily interested in bench research.

Hopkins
UCSF
Stanford
Hutch
UPenn
BIDMC
NIH/NCI

My opinion as a fellow applicant...First of all, that is a great list. Probably can't close doors with any of those options. Obviously Hutch and Stanford are probably strongest in BMT and heme malignancy, but you can't go wrong for bench research at a Harvard program, UCSF, Penn, JHU, or the NHLBI-NCI. If bench to bedside gets you excited, NIH has tons of intramural funding for that sort of thing. I think when the choices are so equal and you have no strong career preference, then going to the best location is probably the best choice. After Sloan, Farber, and MD Anderson, there is probably a list of ten programs that are all outstanding. They might not knock socks off like the big 3, but they will all open doors to you.

Wondering whats the national reputation of the philly programs- penn, jefferson and fox chase. Penn is obviously a big name but do the other programs have more than a regional reputation? I'd like to eventually practice on the west coast or the south (academic clinician or pp) and would like to know if those programs will open those doors.

Penn clearly has the best and biggest reputation on that list...whether they deserve it is a matter that I will leave for others to debate. FCCC has a pretty good rep but it's the Cancer Center that time forgot outside of the northeast. And Jeff, while a pretty decent program is very barely even known about outside of the area.

My opinion as a fellow applicant...First of all, that is a great list. Probably can't close doors with any of those options. Obviously Hutch and Stanford are probably strongest in BMT and heme malignancy, but you can't go wrong for bench research at a Harvard program, UCSF, Penn, JHU, or the NHLBI-NCI. If bench to bedside gets you excited, NIH has tons of intramural funding for that sort of thing. I think when the choices are so equal and you have no strong career preference, then going to the best location is probably the best choice. After Sloan, Farber, and MD Anderson, there is probably a list of ten programs that are all outstanding. They might not knock socks off like the big 3, but they will all open doors to you.

Thanks very much for the input - I will rank two of the "big three" as my top two, but am really struggling with how to rank the rest of my list.

Trying to decide between two programs on the east coast vs two on the west. I'm interested in heme mal, and will probably do a BMT fellowship after heme/onc. Between these programs, which will be most helpful in terms of setting me up for a decent BMT fellowship and then an academic career? What about in terms of fellow satisfaction with the programs - it was hard to get a good read from the east coast programs.

Columbia vs Mount Sinai
OHSU vs Utah

Thanks for any insights you can give me!

Would like some suggestions for my rank list. Interests: malignant heme, academics > PP, clinical > basic research. I'm listing programs in 2 groups in alphabetical order, and hope to get some feedback on program rank/strengths (by merit) within each group. Don't worry about the geographical preference because I can deal with that myself. Thanks.

Group 1:
University of Arizona
UT San Antonio

Group 2:
Boston U
Maryland
Montefiore
Tufts
UMDNJ - RWJ

Trying to decide between two programs on the east coast vs two on the west. I'm interested in heme mal, and will probably do a BMT fellowship after heme/onc. Between these programs, which will be most helpful in terms of setting me up for a decent BMT fellowship and then an academic career? What about in terms of fellow satisfaction with the programs - it was hard to get a good read from the east coast programs.

Columbia vs Mount Sinai
OHSU vs Utah

Thanks for any insights you can give me!

I can't really comment on Columbia vs. MSSM...I didn't apply to either of them.

The OHSU vs Utah thing is kind of interesting though. 2 years ago, if you'd said you were thinking about Utah for Heme Mal I would have laughed out loud at you as it was remarkably weak. But they've recently hired away two senior heme mal folks (one leuk, one BMT) from OHSU and are building a transplant program. I assume they've recruited some other good people too, but I haven't been paying that much attention. So, they have some good people there but it's still a pretty new program. That could be a strength or a weakness, depending on your point of view.

I would honestly consider them pretty equivalent and I don't think you would go wrong either place.

I can't really comment on Columbia vs. MSSM...I didn't apply to either of them.

The OHSU vs Utah thing is kind of interesting though. 2 years ago, if you'd said you were thinking about Utah for Heme Mal I would have laughed out loud at you as it was remarkably weak. But they've recently hired away two senior heme mal folks (one leuk, one BMT) from OHSU and are building a transplant program. I assume they've recruited some other good people too, but I haven't been paying that much attention. So, they have some good people there but it's still a pretty new program. That could be a strength or a weakness, depending on your point of view.

I would honestly consider them pretty equivalent and I don't think you would go wrong either place.
Thanks for the input on OHSU vs Utah - liked both programs a lot.

Anyone else from the east coast that can comment on Columbia vs MSSM in terms of heme mal, prep for an academic career, and general feel of the program?

Thanks!

I have an interview with University of Arizona hemonc program on 29th? Anybody else interviewed at this program? How did it go?

I am bit light on research, but has lot of clinical rotations with my mentor in CA.

I dont know why I only received five interviews - 3 in CA, 1 in AZ and 1 in TX? I applied late; is that the reason? Do you guys think having very little research publications is hurting me?

Any inputs appreciated! Thanks in advance

Would like some suggestions for my rank list. Interests: malignant heme, academics > PP, clinical > basic research. I'm listing programs in 2 groups in alphabetical order, and hope to get some feedback on program rank/strengths (by merit) within each group. Don't worry about the geographical preference because I can deal with that myself. Thanks.

Group 1:
University of Arizona
UT San Antonio

Group 2:
Boston U
Maryland
Montefiore
Tufts
UMDNJ - RWJ

Anybody?

Group 1:
University of Arizona
UT San Antonio

Group 2:
Boston U
Maryland
Montefiore
Tufts
UMDNJ - RWJ

Group 1: Roughly equal. UTHSCSA is the better program overall but AZ is stronger in heme mal.

Group 2:
RWJ >>Monte=Maryland>>BU>Tufts

OHSU vs. Utah: I did not interview at the latter, but from people I talked to who interviewed at both, the favorite appears to be OHSU. OHSU certainly has a LOT of $$, are rapidly expanding and have distinct areas of strength, which appear to be prostate (they are part of pac NW SPORE) as well as anyone in Dr. Drucker's lab etc. It seems most people there at OHSU either go into private practice or stay as faculty at OHSU (they weren't hiring this year). Small program, great town, strong clinical training and a program on the rise. And in my opinion Portland is a WAY better city than Salt Lake.

Is Monte really that much better than Tufts? My interview day there didnt really provide a whole lot in terms of the fellowship/divisons academic endeavors.