Official 2012-2013 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good morning,
I contacted the following programs by phone yesterday afternoon and I can shed some light to programs that have sent out interviews and not sent out rejections. I am on night float and couldnt post sooner.

1. University of South Alabama
2. Tulane
3. University of Arizona
4. University of Iowa
5. University of Toledo
6. Texas Tech El Paso
7. East Tenessee (waitlisted)
8. Advocate Lutheran- Parkridge, IL
9. Wright State University

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I can only hope that someone cancels their interview for East Tenessee but I know realistically that this is impossible due to the stiff competition.
Lets have some beer and get numb people.

has anyone on this forum actually heard from tulane one way or the other though?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with tulane, they said that because of the recent hurricane, they are backed up and will send out invites in the next couple of days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo Scottsdale is not interviewing external applicants this year.

Mayo Rochester has 10 internal candidates.
Actually, I spoke to Mayo Rochester and they only had 6 internal candidates.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any info on northshore/LIJ? Have they sent out interviews?

Actually, I spoke to Mayo Rochester and they only had 6 internal candidates.

Applicants from mayo florida and arizona are also regarded as internal. I was informed they have 8 spots this year and interviewing only 24 people. Anyone heard that too?

i have a friend who have got an interview from University of Toledo - 3 weeks ago

for me - rej from U of Colorado

Kentucky, GW, Allegheny, Wright and Einstein Philly rejections in one morning, OUCH

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a couple of rejections and invites today (Friday).
Rejections - GW, Oshner

Invites - Cincinnati, Tulane

SUNY Downstate invite

This is probably it ladies and gentlemen, we will have fewer and fewer interviews over the next few weeks.

awfully quiet in this GI forum, compared to the cards forum.

if anyone has heard from GW, UMDNJ (newark), northshore-LIJ, or penn state hershey, please post it. thanks.

Just curious to know what people's thoughts are with those programs that haven't responded yet. Don't know what to make of it since I am hearing nothing back from them (invites or rejections). Have you guys emailed or called them?! At this point it feels like most programs are set with their invites.
Thinking of calling them this week. Has anyone gotten updates regarding their status by calling programs?

If invites went out already and I didn't get one, I crossed the program off of my list. I assumed the worst and marked it as a silent rejection. I wouldn't waste your effort calling or emailing every single program, because honestly, it shows desperation when the program gets that email or call from you, especially this late in the process. However, I would encourage it if you're curious about those programs you're really wanting to hear from.

There are only a handful of programs left that are still reviewing applications.

Thats it folks. Last post from me for this season. I know it will be bigger and better next year. I learnt a lot, hope to get some contacts, and publish something. Best of luck to those that got interviews.
Please share your tips. Many thanks to all
I will be back

Wow, complete silence unlike other threads. No new developments?!

I got an invite from Tulane. Both UT-H, and Cincinatti are saying they are reviewing my app.

Anyone willing to share their opinion on Tulane? How is their program s/p Katrina?

Season's not over guys, got UPenn today..still waiting on UT Houston and Tulane here though.

I got an invite from Tulane. Both UT-H, and Cincinatti are saying they are reviewing my app.

Anyone willing to share their opinion on Tulane? How is their program s/p Katrina?

I got Tulane's invite on last Friday. They have two interview dates available. Don't know much about their program s/p Katrina, but honestly, I don't think it affected their GI program. It affected more of the leadership of the School of the Medicine, for example, the dean left for Chicago, etc.

I also got that email from UT-Houston that they would give us an answer by the end of this week. However, didn't they send out invites already?

Not sure what is going on with UMDNJ, but I think they are still reviewing applications. Invites are supposed to go out in mid-September for them.

After reviewing the thread seems like the 1st tier applicants (Generally AMGs, good board scores, solid residency, publications) have about 10 + interviews, 2nd tier (AMG or IMG, decent scores, ok residency, publications) have 5-10, 3rd tier (AMG < IMG, community program, varied scores, varied publications but tend to be fewer) have 0-5. The nice part is that each applicant can only match into one program so as long as you have at least 1 interview you have a shot!

After reviewing the thread seems like the 1st tier applicants (Generally AMGs, good board scores, solid residency, publications) have about 10 + interviews, 2nd tier (AMG or IMG, decent scores, ok residency, publications) have 5-10, 3rd tier (AMG < IMG, community program, varied scores, varied publications but tend to be fewer) have 0-5. The nice part is that each applicant can only match into one program so as long as you have at least 1 interview you have a shot!

Good try on boosting the Morale here. However, there are 100's of applicants who only visited the forum to see whats going on and hundreds more that are not here at all. I can tell you there will be a lot of disappointments and truncated dreams on 12/5/12. :(

Is it really true that some programs are still reviewing applications? Its almost the end of September. When are they going to offer interviews?

Is it really true that some programs are still reviewing applications? Its almost the end of September. When are they going to offer interviews?

Yes, it's true. Majority of programs are done reviewing and have sent out invites.

But there's a minority that haven't even sent out invites yet.

Jefferson? UMDNJ?

Good try on boosting the Morale here. However, there are 100's of applicants who only visited the forum to see whats going on and hundreds more that are not here at all. I can tell you there will be a lot of disappointments and truncated dreams on 12/5/12. :(

Wow, that was a very dramatic statement...dreams are never truncated if you stay persistent and work hard for what you want.

Last edited:
Anyone heard from Northshore-LIJ?!

Yes, it's true. Majority of programs are done reviewing and have sent out invites.

But there's a minority that haven't even sent out invites yet.

Jefferson? UMDNJ?

Same here -Drexel rejection and MUSC rejection
Friend got UC Irvine reject

Still time left ppl :)

New York Medical College