** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
move me over into the matched catagory!

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers, and best of luck with the last two endless days!:luck:

Congrats! I'm glad it worked out for you... I'm just now reading how chaotic the scramble was... glad you came out okay, hopefully it's a program you will like!

Members don't see this ad.

stll did not match today I am beginning to wonder why I did not match probably because I am not African American, I am not muslism, or gay.... Life truly sucks....... I am giving up on this medicine..... maybe I'll go jump off a building :mad:

Hopefully you took my advice.
I hope you werent super selective.
Honestly, with the chaos that ensued (i.e. NRMP/ERAS crashing), I would've played the safe hand and secured a good TRI.

Either way, that's not the attitude to have. Best of luck!

stll did not match today I am beginning to wonder why I did not match probably because I am not African American, I am not muslism, or gay.... Life truly sucks....... I am giving up on this medicine..... maybe I'll go jump off a building :mad:

wow. I'm sick. I can't believe I just read that. This kind of vitriol is uncalled for. You don't need to be anywhere near a patient. Your bigotry and hatred were probably obvious to everyone you interviewed with and they left you off their lists. I'm glad you didn't match.

If you are serious then might I speculate that the reason you didn't match is because you seem to be a bigot?

wow. I'm sick. I can't believe I just read that. This kind of vitriol is uncalled for. You don't need to be anywhere near a patient. Your bigotry and hatred were probably obvious to everyone you interviewed with and they left you off their lists. I'm glad you didn't match.

Hey dude, did you match? Hope so.. although we both have UAB #1 :laugh:

I agree with what you said above, really sad.

Hey dude, did you match? Hope so.. although we both have UAB #1 :laugh:

I agree with what you said above, really sad.

Yes, I matched. Hope to see you at UAB either this summer or next.

I happened to put advanced ahead of categorical so I could do a surgical internship at a particular place but I won't find any of that out until Thursday.

All in all, I'm just glad to be on this side of the debacle that seems to be unfolding.

I totally agree with you. My gay half-black half-Native American Muslim friends are just as dumb and lazy as you, have just as low board scores, just as poor letters of recommendation, but they all matched ENT and Ophtho. Sucks to be a dumb white male even more right now.

But look on the bright side. I'm sure no matter how unimpressive of an applicant you were, you can probably secure a spot in some red state.

Yes, I matched. Hope to see you at UAB either this summer or next.

I happened to put advanced ahead of categorical so I could do a surgical internship at a particular place but I won't find any of that out until Thursday.

All in all, I'm just glad to be on this side of the debacle that seems to be unfolding.

Agreed!
Did it say you matched completely or that you matched advanced and prelim? That'll probably tell you whether or not you got categorical or not? Not sure 100%

Agreed, it'd be awesome to work together at UAB. Hopefully we all get our top 1 or 2 picks. I put categorical #1 and advanced #2. I'm sure I matched categorical somewhere and not advanced since it told me im "completely matched."

Agreed!
Did it say you matched completely or that you matched advanced and prelim? That'll probably tell you whether or not you got categorical or not? Not sure 100%

Agreed, it'd be awesome to work together at UAB. Hopefully we all get our top 1 or 2 picks. I put categorical #1 and advanced #2. I'm sure I matched categorical somewhere and not advanced since it told me im "completely matched."

I matched completely. I ranked the categoricals directly below the advanced for each program that had both so the categorical UAB program was my number 2. I associated a secondary list with all the advanced spots with a prelim list and my number one prelim spot is a surgical PGY-1 that will be awesome for me. I would be thrilled to go to UAB categorical, too. I do not care. I'm so stoked about matching. Period.

I matched completely. I ranked the categoricals directly below the advanced for each program that had both so the categorical UAB program was my number 2. I associated a secondary list with all the advanced spots with a prelim list and my number one prelim spot is a surgical PGY-1 that will be awesome for me. I would be thrilled to go to UAB categorical, too. I do not care. I'm so stoked about matching. Period.

Haha, me too!
Can't wait for Thursday!

I matched and will officially be able to forget how to manage my patient's medical issues! (lol j/k) Thank God for ortho!!!

Hahahaha! "There is a fracture...I need to fix it......and the patient has a condition I have never heard of before, asystole!"

I think some people are responding unkindly because they're offended by your comments, but I understand why you're angry. I think it's very normal to feel angry and resentful at first after dealing with such a disappointment. Just try to remember that this is not any other applicant's fault. I strongly feel that sometimes what makes the difference between one person matching and another one not matching is just a small random event that nobody had control over (like happening to get an interviewer you clicked with or not).
Just because you didn't match today doesn't mean that it's hopeless.
I failed to find a spot during the MD scramble as well - and that was when there wasn't all this chaos with the website crashing! I went back to the DO programs and I ended up finding a pretty decent TRI spot for the year. I then reapplied next season, went on more interviews, and found a good residency in the specialty I originally wanted that I am very happy with.
Don't give up. It sounds like you're going for IM right? There are enough IM programs out there that you will find one if you persist at it. Good luck.

White males need not apply! :mad:

trol or not, how did this get past the mods? I know tensions are running high, but the replies to this have been just as bad as the original post...

Medicineman, please, please, please go talk to someone. This is a very stressful time full of feelings of emptiness and despair. However, whatever happens, life will go on, so please please please allow it to. You are valuable and things will work out somehow. Anyone who has not scrambled does not know how you feel, so pleaes ignore the previous comments.

Congrats! I'm glad it worked out for you... I'm just now reading how chaotic the scramble was... glad you came out okay, hopefully it's a program you will like!

I got one of the covetted 12 FM programs in the west! Still there's a sickening feeling of being shunned by my home program, but I matched, I will be able to buy a house, my husband can return to school, this program pays generous moving expenses, and it's only 4 hours north of where I wanted to match at the base of the rockies. Furthermore, it does have a surgical OB option, is community based, full spectrum FP!

To those repeating this tomorrow I pray for you, for those waiting to open your envelopes/emails on Thursday, I pray for you guys too! The wait is definately the worst.

And yes, Dean Sunshine did come through with flying colours...the entire dean's office is getting scones or cookies or something homemade and full of fat and sugar.

I got one of the covetted 12 FM programs in the west! Still there's a sickening feeling of being shunned by my home program, but I matched, I will be able to buy a house, my husband can return to school, this program pays generous moving expenses, and it's only 4 hours north of where I wanted to match at the base of the rockies. Furthermore, it does have a surgical OB option, is community based, full spectrum FP!

To those repeating this tomorrow I pray for you, for those waiting to open your envelopes/emails on Thursday, I pray for you guys too! The wait is definately the worst.

And yes, Dean Sunshine did come through with flying colours...the entire dean's office is getting scones or cookies or something homemade and full of fat and sugar.

Awesome! Sounds like an awesome program and location!
You know, screw the home program! :thumbup:
Glad your Dean's office helped you maneuver through the scramble!!

Really wish I could see where I matched already !!!

iiiiii maaaaaaaaaatched.....i can not believe it...it is like a dream coming true.
good luck to all of those participating in the scramble.:)

trol or not, how did this get past the mods? I know tensions are running high, but the replies to this have been just as bad as the original post...

Medicineman, please, please, please go talk to someone. This is a very stressful time full of feelings of emptiness and despair. However, whatever happens, life will go on, so please please please allow it to. You are valuable and things will work out somehow. Anyone who has not scrambled does not know how you feel, so pleaes ignore the previous comments.

I helped people scramble today, and yeah, it was discouraging but we managed to get everyone matched! It takes a lot of positive attitude and determination. Negativity is not the way to land yourself a spot. Part of me hopes that this is a joke and you're writing this, medicineman, to get some sick reactions. But if this isn't a joke, I agree with rach that you should talk to someone.

Btw, rach, congratulations! I helped a bunch of people match today and seeing their faces of relief and joy was amazing! And at this rate, I'm just feeling blessed I matched, regardless of where!

If anything, and please take this with with a grain of salt as I matched so my outcome was good when of course, it isn't for everybody.

The Match is like someone with absolutely no medical knowledge having a "routine" surgery like a lap chole or lap appe...you feel absolutely horrible inside, nauseated, and scared of the unknown the night before. However, you meet Dr. Feelgood the anesthesiologist, he gives you a little versed, you go through surgery, and go home the next day. And while it wasn't what you wanted to do with your time, at least its over and it all turned out well (again my prayers for those of you still waiting.)

The hardest part was the waiting between yesterday and today at 9:30...yesterday I felt like a old metallica song: "emptiness is filling me...to the point of irony..." I could only sleep last night because I had worked 12 hours Sunday night, so asure of my "you matched" email that never came, so I had been up for 28 hours before calling it quits.

Thanks for all the support, and to everyone else still stuck in purgatory...know that everyone here is praying for you tomorrow!!!!!

congrats Rach on scrambling. It sounds like you did great!

I was helping a friend earlier today going through the Scramble so I know how stressful it must be. Congrats Rachmoninov3 on finding a match. :luck:

I too was helping friends scramble and just a few words for next year's class, you do not want to be in that situation. I matched but just being in that room was stressing me out. we did get 8 of our 9 scramblers matched (the ninth was MIA). some good solid categorical FM and IM, a couple prelim surg spots and a couple TRI spots. My friend even snagged one of rach's coveted west coast FM spots, sorry if we were competing with each other but it all worked out, at least for you two.

EM took a bashing at our school this year, 6/9 scramblers were appplying EM, 2/9 categorical surgery.

EM was really tough this year. I think 4/9 at our school were EM scramblers, and with only a few spots left in the country, it was near impossible to grab one of them.

I totally agree with you. My gay half-black half-Native American Muslim friends are just as dumb and lazy as you, have just as low board scores, just as poor letters of recommendation, but they all matched ENT and Ophtho. Sucks to be a dumb white male even more right now.

But look on the bright side. I'm sure no matter how unimpressive of an applicant you were, you can probably secure a spot in some red state.

plickfu, u and medicineman did not match BECAUSE both of are not only complete dum white males, but while males full of hates and it sad that ppl like u are even in medicine. I can't believe there are ppl who hate minorities in this field where we heal ppl... u probably not going to treat a minority patient and I am glad that u are not in ENT or Opth.... it is not our fault that those competitive specialties did not see much in both of u.

Wow. I'm shocked the year was so rough for EM. I mean I saw that there were only 5 spots in 2 programs (one in PR) which is rough. But I didn't know so many didn't match. We had 1/17 EM applicant scramble at my school.

We had pretty awesome EM bunch. 15/16 of them matched on Monday. And 7/7 derms matched. And 10/10 ortho. Where we had trouble this year was IM peds and gen surg. So unexpected.

plickfu, u and medicineman did not match BECAUSE both of are not only complete dum white males, but while males full of hates and it sad that ppl like u are even in medicine. I can't believe there are ppl who hate minorities in this field where we heal ppl... u probably not going to treat a minority patient and I am glad that u are not in ENT or Opth.... it is not our fault that those competitive specialties did not see much in both of u.

Wow, are you serious? SDN needs a 'blatant sarcasm for dummies' button.

If we could stop flinging insults back and forth about that one post by an upset and frustrated user, that'd be great. So please, no more comments about being racist or not being compassionate, or being stupid, or anything.

Thanks.

We had pretty awesome EM bunch. 15/16 of them matched on Monday. And 7/7 derms matched. And 10/10 ortho. Where we had trouble this year was IM peds and gen surg. So unexpected.

We were talking about this yesterday. At my school, it seems that a lot of mediocre to less than average candidates were pursuing EM. I think that the stats in charting outcomes 2009 made it a tempting specialty (low board scores, high match rate for a non-primary care specialty). And those that were above average thought they were more competitive and pursued upper tier programs. Anyone else think this?

IM-Peds isn't surprising, it was a bit of a bloodbath last year too

Getting progressively worsening insomnia, I outta put together a slumber party. Any takers?? haha

Getting progressively worsening insomnia, I outta put together a slumber party. Any takers?? haha

i'ts only 130pm EST but i can't see myself sleeping tonight. i'm down! :)

jordan_jersey.jpg

ahhhhh can someone find me a "fast forward" button? :D

Yeah, I'll be happy when this wait is done. Everyone around me waiting for the results is getting anxious and snippy. And really weird.

This blows. I woke up this morning with a sore throat. Last time I got sick: October. I have wonderful timing.

Anyone else starting liver rounds early?

So many people on SDN had UAB anesthesia as their number 1, I wonder if we'll all get to work together. That would be pretty wild.

14 Hours to go. Will not sleep tonight....

Yes, I am officially incapable of doing any studying or work tonight. And I write this even though my mom checks this site and will probably see this. And now to go buy some ice cream.:banana: