** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
11 long or quick weeks from today!

Don't you absolutely love this hurry up and wait? I mean I thought I'd be over it by now because it's all just a repeat of waiting for the MCAT, to get into med school, for step scores, shelf scores, etc.
It's a wonder I haven't earned a white coat with long arms that tie in the back...:nod:

Please use this thread to comiserate if you feel like you need to.

Members don't see this ad.

11 long or quick weeks from today!

Don't you absolutely love this hurry up and wait? I mean I thought I'd be over it by now because it's all just a repeat of waiting for the MCAT, to get into med school, for step scores, shelf scores, etc.
It's a wonder I haven't earned a white coat with long arms that tie in the back...:nod:

Please use this thread to comiserate if you feel like you need to.

I haven't even gone on like 75% of my interviews yet :(

I agree! Officially 2 months and 2 weeks!!
I'm not sure if it's an up-side or not to have nearly finished interviewing; at least if you still have a lot to go on, that will consume your time and thoughts!

Good Luck!

well happy 2011 to all!

I've spent sooooo many years on SDN here waiting for this year, and to tell the truth now that it's here it's actually slightly worrisome...the time to match seems like an eternity, yet the 7 months before we're interns seems so close!

Ready or not, here I come!

I still have like 6 interviews I need to go on.

I've got 2 more interviews left. I haven't interviewed since right after Thanksgiving so I'm pretty sure I've lost all of my interview mojo. Past the point of caring anymore.

PS.......... rank order listing begins this Saturday!

I've got 2 more interviews left. I haven't interviewed since right after Thanksgiving so I'm pretty sure I've lost all of my interview mojo. Past the point of caring anymore.

PS.......... rank order listing begins this Saturday!

what's the point of opening it up on the 15th, only to not close until Feb 23rd or whenever? Do they really lack that much computing power that it would crash the system to just be open for say 1-2 weeks rather than 5?

Dean Sunshine has another manditory class meeting tomorrow dealing with the upcoming ROL that begins this Saturday. If this is anything like the rest of his meetings, everyone in my class will leave feeling more inadequate than when they went in!

good luck everyone!:luck:

what's the point of opening it up on the 15th, only to not close until Feb 23rd or whenever? Do they really lack that much computing power that it would crash the system to just be open for say 1-2 weeks rather than 5?

Dean Sunshine has another manditory class meeting tomorrow dealing with the upcoming ROL that begins this Saturday. If this is anything like the rest of his meetings, everyone in my class will leave feeling more inadequate than when they went in!

good luck everyone!:luck:

Quit complaining, I wish I had those meetings ...

I can think of a few reasons why the open period is so long - some people may just want to set it and forget it..... others may be headed to an international rotation where they wont have internet access, etc...

Official thread logo:

picture.php

You're welcome.

Official thread logo:

So it looks like uro/ophtho/neurosurg must have been the bubble teams that didn't quite make it? And poor PM&R is the mid-major that gets no respect.

But seriously, that's pretty awesome. Only 62 days to go!

So it looks like uro/ophtho/neurosurg must have been the bubble teams that didn't quite make it? And poor PM&R is the mid-major that gets no respect.

But seriously, that's pretty awesome. Only 62 days to go!

Well Ophtho and Uro don't qualify. They compete in the NIT anyways.

Also, is there a way rachmoninov can adjust the thread title? NEEDS MOAR CAPITAL LETTERZ to draw attention. We want this thread to house everyone's panic attacks between now and St. Patty's.

Well Ophtho and Uro don't qualify. They compete in the NIT anyways.

Also, is there a way rachmoninov can adjust the thread title? NEEDS MOAR CAPITAL LETTERZ to draw attention. We want this thread to house everyone's panic attacks between now and St. Patty's.

Sorry ol' rach can't figure out how to change it. However, if you are wiser in the way'z' of SDN than I please teach me.

Quick check your inbox, NRMP sent a "how to" email! Read it, memorize it, be the first one to put in your ROL tomorrow, and---wait a minute...it doesn't matter if I certify tomorrow at noon or the night of the Feb 23rd at 6:59! Whatever. Seriously, at least we've all made it this far without being involuntarilly comitted, so enjoy the fact that there is an email from NRMP in your inbox and that you're one step closer to being done with medical school!

Sorry ol' rach can't figure out how to change it. However, if you are wiser in the way'z' of SDN than I please teach me.
I can change it for you if you want--tell me what you want it to say (including caps :)).

So far I don't feel too panicky, although I haven't sat down yet to do my rank list, and won't be until the beginning of February. So I guess I'm still postponing the inevitable anxiety attacks. :D

I still have one more interview left and am refusing to visit the NRMP page until at least 5 days after the interview.

Unofficial Thread Theme Song:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPG_VDGwj6k[/YOUTUBE]

^_^

As for the thread title, Q, we could go with something like:
** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

As for the thread title, Q, we could go with something like:
** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **
Done. Though that song is incredibly annoying. I prefer this one:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Hj7bp38f8[/YOUTUBE]

Let the sphrincter tightening begin...
I just certified my list, which was relatively painless, however...
My #1 spot has gone from 3 PGY1 positions to 2! Did they offer someone something outside the match?:scared: Or is it just a common thing based on budget to increase or decrease PGY1 positions at the last minute?

Say what you guys want about FM, these more independent rural programs are so small that makes them competitive!

My #1 spot has gone from 3 PGY1 positions to 2! Did they offer someone something outside the match?:scared: Or is it just a common thing based on budget to increase or decrease PGY1 positions at the last minute?

Say what you guys want about FM, these more independent rural programs are so small that makes them competitive!

You completely certified? You don't think you'll change your mind at all in the next month?

Wow. I wish I were that secure...

im not even done with mine ... 1 more left.
i figure i got feb for a reason ... i'll do that crap at that time, prolly 1 week before it's due.

you can't change your list after certifying?

I honestly don't know. I thought certifying it meant sort of mailing it out (like submitting ERAS). But to be honest I haven't even looked at it yet.

I honestly don't know. I thought certifying it meant sort of mailing it out (like submitting ERAS). But to be honest I haven't even looked at it yet.

You can keep changing your list as often as your want- every time you change your list, you need to recertify it. Any changes you make to a "certified" list will "decertify" it.

you can't change your list after certifying?

Yes, you can change it after certifying. All certifying means is that it's an official version of your ROL and, if the Match happens, that's your list.

FTR, anytime you do anything to your ROL on the NRMP site, you should certify your list before logging out. Even if it's not your final rank list. It has happened to too many people that they finished their list but forgot to certify it and ended up not matching. A non-certified list is the same as no list at all.

More than likely, yes, they offered a pre-match spot. Programs can continue to change this number until Jan. 31.

Yes, you can change it after certifying. All certifying means is that it's an official version of your ROL and, if the Match happens, that's your list.
FTR, anytime you do anything to your ROL on the NRMP site, you should certify your list before logging out. Even if it's not your final rank list. It has happened to too many people that they finished their list but forgot to certify it and ended up not matching. A non-certified list is the same as no list at all.

Good advice! I think it says CERTIFIED in green in the upper right hand corner (if I recall correctly?) once your list is properly saved - so ALWAYS double check that any time you log into the NRMP site.
It is very easy to overlook, and it would be devastating to not match because of that oversight. I don't know why they don't change the system to make it so that if you don't certify the changes you've made that it just reverts to your last saved list.

Usually it is the less competitive programs that aren't sure they will get the people they want in the match who offer prematches, so I bet you're still likely to end up where you want to go. Good luck! :luck:

Certified. Don't plan on changing it between now and then. Simply a waiting game now.

Usually it is the less competitive programs that aren't sure they will get the people they want in the match who offer prematches, so I bet you're still likely to end up where you want to go. Good luck! :luck:

Bless you and this tiny of morsel of good news that I will be clinging to for the next 60 days!

questions guys...how do you check the programs qoutas for this year in the NRMP? would you plz post the link, because I honsetly can't find it :(

questions guys...how do you check the programs qoutas for this year in the NRMP? would you plz post the link, because I honsetly can't find it :(

have you logged in yet? Log in, do a search for any program, and there's a number to the right.

thx stapleit...:) I found it but for my programs it seemed like the same number from last year data report.....is it updated info?

thx stapleit...:) I found it but for my programs it seemed like the same number from last year data report.....is it updated info?

np. technically, the numbers can change/be whatever the program wants up until Jan 31st. i guess spots can't be given out after that.

Ladies and gentlemen,

It's hitting me that my probable #1 is likely not happening (either that or the trolls with post count < 10 are in full force lately). My #2-4 is a blur, my #5-7 is a blur. The Gardens of Eden programs look unattainable all of the sudden.

Second looks? Haven't decided yet.

Um... is this really happening right now? I get 5 weeks to make this decision once and for all? Based on what? A look at a few facilities, some interactions with residents who were behaving themselves, some faculty who had better things to do than pretend to give a damn while interviewing Deferoxamine for a residency position?

I need a beer.

Ladies and gentlemen,

It's hitting me that my probable #1 is likely not happening (either that or the trolls with post count < 10 are in full force lately). My #2-4 is a blur, my #5-7 is a blur. The Gardens of Eden programs look unattainable all of the sudden.

Second looks? Haven't decided yet.

Um... is this really happening right now? I get 5 weeks to make this decision once and for all? Based on what? A look at a few facilities, some interactions with residents who were behaving themselves, some faculty who had better things to do than pretend to give a damn while interviewing Deferoxamine for a residency position?

I need a beer.

Sorry you're in a trough rather than a peak with this whole process right now, but I think you might have answered your own question: The whole process is a sham and it's irrational to expect to make this great of a decision based on at most 48 hours with a program. Therefore, where you do your residency is either NOT that big of a deal, or if it is a big deal then the process will work itself out in the end, just like it did for the classes before ours. If you truly see no difference between these "blur" programs, then rank by location or salary or some other non-training specific criteria Also, go for it and rank the top reach programs as "#1". Remember, our #1 counts much more than them ranking you #1.

If all else fails, get a dart board, get drunk, and let fate decide your ROL. Of course if I were in your situation I couldn't stand any more uncertainty than there already is...but getting drunk might help.

PS get drunk at home. No one in a bar wants to hear about a future doctor complaining of the uncertainty of where he'll be working in July since after all he's got a guarenteed job that pays reasonably well, and he'll be a doctor.

PPS I'm only half way rational about this because I'm riding a peak myself. I KNOW that I could very well go to a program other than my top choice---I'm just having a terrible time coming to terms with that knowledge.

Yeah, it's the realization that the Step 1 > 260 and/or Top 25 medical school crowd is getting daily verbal fellatio, and I'm not. Even if they couldn't carry a standard conversation at the interview, they're the loveable popular golden boy and I'm the neglected red-headed stepchild.

And it's the realization that the "love letters" I've gotten from PD's seem rather generic, probably written by computer algorithms.

In the room of Washingtons, Jeffersons, and Roosevelts, I am the "meh" William Jennings Bryan.

k, I'm done venting.

I'll just keep listening to old school U2... makes me feel so... chill. :cool:

I hate the randomness of the process and the idea that on March 17th I will suddenly know where I am going and each result is very different.

However, I stay sane with the knowledge that its done this way to protect us the applicants. Sure it would have been nice to have signed a contract back in November and know exactly where I'm going. But how terrible would it have been to have to accept or reject an offer at your first interview, not knowing if you would get a better offer or any other offers....

I find the latter much scarier so I am thankful for the terrifying process that is the match.

Yeah, it's the realization that the Step 1 > 260 and/or Top 25 medical school crowd is getting daily verbal fellatio, and I'm not. Even if they couldn't carry a standard conversation at the interview, they're the loveable popular golden boy and I'm the neglected red-headed stepchild.

Dude, I guess you could say that I'm part of that crowd, and all I can say is that I'm far from getting daily verbal fellatio. I don't think many people are, and the ones who claim they are, are likely 1.) gods amongst men, 2.) liars, or 3.) lying liars who lie. My hunch is that they're one of the last two categories, but that could just be my ego (and/or the beer) talking here.

Whatever. I say we're awesome... and therefore deserve our first choice programs AND a pony AND a rhinestone tiara. Sounds reasonable, no?

Dude, I guess you could say that I'm part of that crowd, and all I can say is that I'm far from getting daily verbal fellatio. I don't think many people are, and the ones who claim they are, are likely 1.) gods amongst men, 2.) liars, or 3.) lying liars who lie. My hunch is that they're one of the last two categories, but that could just be my ego (and/or the beer) talking here.

Whatever. I say we're awesome... and therefore deserve our first choice programs AND a pony AND a rhinestone tiara. Sounds reasonable, no?

Wait, you didn't get your pony yet? You should write in....

Yeah, also definitely not getting much verbal fellatio. Everyone's in the same dark, cold, mysterious boat.

The whole process is a sham and it's irrational to expect to make this great of a decision based on at most 48 hours with a program.
If it's a sham, so is the process of choosing an undergraduate school, buying a car, getting a job, etc. Such is life. Yeesh...

You make your choice of residency program just like you make any life decision. You decide which factors are important to you, investigate and educate yourself to the best of your ability, and trust your intuition. If you find yourself torturing yourself between two choices, it probably means you'll be happy with either.

Random question, but when i'm ranking the programs there is a quota. What exactly does this number represent?

I wish it were March. I was trying to stay so calm but all day I have been schizophrenically oscillating between stressing about which program to put as my number one and panic attacks about not matching at any of the 10 places I interviewed at.

This is driving me nuts...

I wish it were March. I was trying to stay so calm but all day I have been schizophrenically oscillating between stressing about which program to put as my number one and panic attacks about not matching at any of the 10 places I interviewed at.

Except for step 3 and your specialty boards, this is really the last time in our long careers that we will face this this much uncertainty for this long of a wait. While I made this thread so that everyone can vent, and therefore everyone feel better that they're not alone in this agonizing 57 days, here are a few GOOD things:

1. Some stupid number of US allopathic grads match, like 98% I believe. So unless you are the absolute bottom of your class trying to do derm and only ranked 2 programs, chances are you'll match.

2. Having a guarenteed job this July is something a lot of Americans would be envious of, let alone being a doctor.

3. People, this is our match day! Sort of a kin to being a high school junior and watching the seniors graduate, we're now the seniors! Rejoice!

4. 57 days from now when we do match, we can get along with our adult lives, and a lot of the perks of being an MD, like zero down mortgages and the like. NO ONE in America will ever get a zero down mortgage again for many many many years, except if they have a physician loan.

5. As much as I hate the wait, I'm so glad that I'm no longer waking up at evil o'clock, have no more 30 hour call until internship, and I'm spending my days lazilly seeing 5-10 patient a day most at some school clinics...of course all this free time just makes me worry more:eek:

1. Some stupid number of US allopathic grads match, like 98% I believe.
93.3% last year. But I agree that most folks who don't match are either applying to very competitive fields without backup or (more likely) not applying broadly enough.

same thing. I'm TORTURING myself over which of 2 programs to rank first, yet stressing over if it's worth it to rank my #10 program which I really didn't like...

:diebanana:

Oh good, I already got my panic attack out of the way. :laugh:

In the meantime, I'm blunting my other nervous energies with lots of food, daily beer, running, and U2's Achtung Baby.

I'm still feeling relatively good overall, but I know that feeling of semi-tranquility could change any minute...that's why there's an emergency supply of dark chocolate in my desk!

Of course I'm expecting this madness to just get worse after I'm done with the last of my clinical coursework (and essentially med school!) in 2 weeks. I'm trying to rev-up old advocacy projects and break a 7 minute minute mile...got down to less than 1-45 on my 400 yesterday...so as to not go too crazy in the last 6 weeks...