Did not match ortho, advice for prelim surgery year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Humerus Guy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I did not match ortho this cycle. I am a M4 at a state school. I felt I was pretty competitive for ortho with 262 step 1, 269 step 2, AOA, 6 papers, and 18 abstracts/posters. I think some reasons I went unmatched were 1) we had 15+ people apply in my class and 2) perhaps I did not stand out in interviews or away rotations. I think I did well and got along with everyone, but maybe needed to sell myself more, and 3) maybe needed better LORs.

I did rank a prelim surgery spot after I only got 9 ortho interviews to be safe and that is what I matched into. I have been doing a radiology rotation this past month and have really enjoyed it along with the residents. I think my options for next cycle are Gen Surg, rads, or anesthesia. I am unsure if I want to reapply ortho.

Any advice on approaching this prelim year and re-applying? Goal is to be the best prelim I can be.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have any good friends from medical school that all matched to the same Ortho program I would definitely apply to that one. Otherwise I would decide if you like procedures (shoot for Anesthesia) or not (shoot for Rads).

For what it’s worth I have friends that did all 3 and they all seem pretty happy.

If you have any good friends from medical school that all matched to the same Ortho program I would definitely apply to that one. Otherwise I would decide if you like procedures (shoot for Anesthesia) or not (shoot for Rads).

For what it’s worth I have friends that did all 3 and they all seem pretty happy.
There are plenty procedures in radiology and option to do IR fellowship if you want to focus exclusively on procedures.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don’t NEED the OR, you can consider PM&R as well. We essentially do nonsurgical Ortho/MSK. Options to go into Pain and SM

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user