Official 2011-2012 IM "How To Rank" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is the million dollar question, how far down the rank list do people typically fall? One of the PDs at an interview mentioned 80% in the top 2, 95% in the top 5.

thats actually about right for AMG 4th year students for IM

Members don't see this ad.

Wayne State - Other than Detroit factor, what do you think?

University of Arizona-?? how does it stand

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Changing my rank list every day.
This is what I've got for my top 6

JHU
OHSU
UPMC
Mayo
UAB
UVA

Is there a big difference in reputation between OHSU and UPMC or Mayo?
Will OHSU give me a better chance at getting fellowships in Cali?

Changing my rank list every day.
This is what I've got for my top 6

JHU
OHSU
UPMC
Mayo
UAB
UVA

Is there a big difference in reputation between OHSU and UPMC or Mayo?
Will OHSU give me a better chance at getting fellowships in Cali?

Eh. Mayo might have the edge on "rep", but not by too much. You can Cali fellowships out of any of those programs.

Would like to gather some outside opinions on my preliminary list to make sure I'm not too far off base… I've given a fair amount of weight to the "where I fit in" factor, but quality of training is the next important issue. I'll get fine training at most if not all of these places, but I'd like some reassurance that they're pretty much in the same league. Want to be in academics, not sure about fellowships but for now interested in pulm/cc and rheum, but don't want to close any doors…

Dartmouth
Utah
Tulane
Florida
Wake Forest
OSU
Cinci
Case Western
MUSC

Would like to gather some outside opinions on my preliminary list to make sure I'm not too far off base… I've given a fair amount of weight to the "where I fit in" factor, but quality of training is the next important issue. I'll get fine training at most if not all of these places, but I'd like some reassurance that they're pretty much in the same league. Want to be in academics, not sure about fellowships but for now interested in pulm/cc and rheum, but don't want to close any doors…

Dartmouth
Utah
Tulane
Florida
Wake Forest
OSU
Cinci
Case Western
MUSC

Looks fine.

I really like Utah, always been a big fan. They were number 2 for both IM and Pulm/Crit rank lists.

sorry to keep posting about my decision, but i feel like i am really struggling with this choice...

would absolutely love the opp to live in nyc but i do feel that emory's program is potentially less craziness with ancillary services and day to day life. anyone can feel free to correct me if they please, but i get the impression that emory's schedule is more manageable and that the residents are not worked as hard as nyu residents? also emory's program has a better rep nationally with a better medical school...

is atl actually a fun place to live in? i've heard from various sources that it's a bit segregated? i'm guessing i'm probably a typical young person romanticizing nyc for no reason ugggh

sorry to keep posting about my decision, but i feel like i am really struggling with this choice...

would absolutely love the opp to live in nyc but i do feel that emory's program is potentially less craziness with ancillary services and day to day life. anyone can feel free to correct me if they please, but i get the impression that emory's schedule is more manageable and that the residents are not worked as hard as nyu residents? also emory's program has a better rep nationally with a better medical school...

is atl actually a fun place to live in? i've heard from various sources that it's a bit segregated? i'm guessing i'm probably a typical young person romanticizing nyc for no reason ugggh

I visited Atlanta for a week during the interview season. I really liked Atlanta, it seemed like a great place to live as a single or a married individual. It definitely doesn't have the glamor of NYC, but it is definitely a fun town. Emory and NYU will get you to whatever your goals are, either way you made a great decision. The more I look at my list, the higher Emory will eventually end up on it. I think the experience at Grady is probably a nightmare, but the learning experience will probably be amazing.

NYC is actually a crap hole, and you ARE romanticizing it. Emory is the better program. You'll also get to spend more of your money doing fun things. Atlanta is a real city.

NYC is actually a crap hole, and you ARE romanticizing it. Emory is the better program. You'll also get to spend more of your money doing fun things. Atlanta is a real city.

Don't forget about the southern women factor :D

Hey guys. What do you think about my ROL? I'm thinking about doing academic cards, but still very much open to other specialties like Pulm/CC or GI. Some caveats, currently a student in Texas and planning to return to Texas for fellowship, but I want to see how medicine is done in other places and would like to avoid "inbreeding" factor.

1. Michigan
2. Wash U
3. Northwestern
4. UTSW
5. U Chicago (I've heard things about them being superspecialized and lacking general medicine. Not sure if true?)
6. UW
7. Baylor
8. UCSD
9. Emory
10. NYU

Thanks!

Was hoping for some insight. Please help me out if you can. I am stuck. I am currently trying to decide between these 4 programs - Wash U, Vanderbilt, U of Wash and Colorado.
I am about 90% sure my heart lies in hospital medicine and I was very intrigued by the Leaders Track of the hospitalist pathway at Colorado. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice regarding this pathway and any possible advantages of it versus going to the other three programs on my list - which from what I have seen, many on this forum consider a teir above CU?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cedars, NW, UChicago, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Brown, BU, NYU, Tufts, UWash, UPitt.

Importance: Big city, quality of life/happiness, cards fellowship.
Have received no love letters from any programs, am slightly worried from reading these forums.

NYU- great city, but with changes in administration (PD, Chairman) concerned about malignancy and future direction of program.

yeah im sure the ancillary services at emory are not great (esp at grady) but i doubt i would be doing as much phlebotomy as in ny. is it fair to assume that emory is not as malignant as nyu as well? even though malignant is probably an arbitrary term

Don't forget about the southern women factor :D
:thumbup: to those georgia peach types lol

So I am having a real hard time creating my list. I keep changing my list of my top 5-6: WashU, NU, Cornell, Michigan, Pitt. I go to school on the east but was intrigued by some of the midwest programs.
-I want to do cards so I am looking for the program that will most likely get me there
-Based on academic rep alone are all of them in the same category or are Washu and Michigan much better?
-People here and at my school seem to think Pitt is an average program. I had a great feeling while there but my advisors dont think I should rank it that highly. Will I shoot myself in the foot by doing so.
-Can anyone comment on Michigan's program. Is it as rigorous as it is made out to be? There was a resident on my interview day that said he has Vit D deficiency cause he never sees daylight. Anyone else get a similar feel?

Thanks for the input. Only 9 days left! Have to figure this out soon

-People here and at my school seem to think Pitt is an average program. I had a great feeling while there but my advisors dont think I should rank it that highly. Will I shoot myself in the foot by doing so.

I second this statement. I liked the program and from US World News ranking, UPMC is actually #12 and their GI program is #10 (I'm considering GI in the future). However, I'm trying to decide b/t UPMC vs. WashU vs. Vanderbilt for my #2 spot. SDN doesn't seem to give much love for Pitt. Are people still in a past mindset over UPMC or is there something else Armstud and I are missing?

I think it's hard for a lot of us to get over the pure "prestige" factor when making these lists...I know I had some trouble with it as well, but at a certain point we are really splitting hairs...I was originally wondering about Pitt too as I loved the residents, PD, city etc, but feel it didn't get as much love from other PD's and the SDN community...then I thought about it, and realized I really liked the program and city, its an excellent medical center with specialties ranked in most fields pretty highly, and its fellowship match is really quite excellent....so is it maybe considered just a step below Vandy & WashU, sure! But I'm pretty sure not enough so to make any bit of difference in our future careers. Just pick the place you liked better and go with it!

For me, this means I am ranking Pitt > Michigan, Vandy, Cornell, Yale, and Emory on my list if that helps at all! Good luck though, I know how hard it is!

So I am having a real hard time creating my list. I keep changing my list of my top 5-6: WashU, NU, Cornell, Michigan, Pitt. I go to school on the east but was intrigued by some of the midwest programs.
-I want to do cards so I am looking for the program that will most likely get me there

All of those programs will put you in a good place for cards...assuming you yourself are card material.

-Based on academic rep alone are all of them in the same category or are Washu and Michigan much better?

WU and UM are a little better than the rest, but it's not a huge difference.

Haters gonna hate...nothing you can do about that. If you liked the place, you liked it. Rank it accordingly. You're not going to do yourself any significant future damage if Pitt is your #1 and you wind up there. You'll be more than fine at any of these programs.

I think it's hard for a lot of us to get over the pure "prestige" factor when making these lists...I know I had some trouble with it as well, but at a certain point we are really splitting hairs...I was originally wondering about Pitt too as I loved the residents, PD, city etc, but feel it didn't get as much love from other PD's and the SDN community...then I thought about it, and realized I really liked the program and city, its an excellent medical center with specialties ranked in most fields pretty highly, and its fellowship match is really quite excellent....so is it maybe considered just a step below Vandy & WashU, sure! But I'm pretty sure not enough so to make any bit of difference in our future careers. Just pick the place you liked better and go with it!

For me, this means I am ranking Pitt > Michigan, Vandy, Cornell, Yale, and Emory on my list if that helps at all! Good luck though, I know how hard it is!

Thanks man (or woman)! That does help. I always assumed you'd rank Michigan #1 since your name is UofM (just kidding....kind of). Your list and mine look almost identical.

Thanks man (or woman)! That does help. I always assumed you'd rank Michigan #1 since your name is UofM (just kidding....kind of). Your list and mine look almost identical.

That does help. I did really like Pitt. Now i am trying to decide between Pitt and Michigan as my numero uno. I just wished I get a better feeling from the Michigan program

That does help. I did really like Pitt. Now i am trying to decide between Pitt and Michigan as my numero uno. I just wished I get a better feeling from the Michigan program

I would agree with above posters - all the top 25 programs are going to give you similar education - no matter where you are at, MGH vs Pitt, the management of STEMI still remains the same.
Go with how you felt about the program - ultimately you will be there for 3 years and if you are not happy, prestige won't matter at all.

Good Luck.

Haha that would be fitting...I am definitely a big Michigan fan/went to high school up there...and I really did like their program too so I'd be more than happy to end up back in the state/maybe catch a football game or two in the process! At the end I just made a decision based on where I wanted to live more, since I honestly couldn't decide btw Vandy, Michigan, and Pitt any other way (all really impressive programs & residents IMO). Decided Michigan, despite being from there/Ann Arbor being better than people give it credit for came in 3rd place as I prefer a city of some sort...then between Vandy and Pitt, tough call, but I'm way more Wiz Khalifa than Taylor Swift, so Pitt got the call

Haha that would be fitting...I am definitely a big Michigan fan/went to high school up there...and I really did like their program too so I'd be more than happy to end up back in the state/maybe catch a football game or two in the process! At the end I just made a decision based on where I wanted to live more, since I honestly couldn't decide btw Vandy, Michigan, and Pitt any other way (all really impressive programs & residents IMO). Decided Michigan, despite being from there/Ann Arbor being better than people give it credit for came in 3rd place as I prefer a city of some sort...then between Vandy and Pitt, tough call, but I'm way more Wiz Khalifa than Taylor Swift, so Pitt got the call

haha love it...more wiz khalifa than taylor swift. maybe i should base my decision for emory v nyu on jay z versus ti/lil jon :)

yeah im sure the ancillary services at emory are not great (esp at grady) but i doubt i would be doing as much phlebotomy as in ny. is it fair to assume that emory is not as malignant as nyu as well? even though malignant is probably an arbitrary term

:thumbup: to those georgia peach types lol

Ancillary at Emory hospital and Emory midtown are faaantastic. Grady is dece as far as annoyances go. social work can be god awful though slightly expected with the patient population. kind of what you sign up for. Only have had to phlebotomize twice this year, one for a cort stim and one because I was a ******* and forgot AM labs. I imagine that pre Epic things were a lot harder at Grady.

Trying to figure out the ranking of my top 5: BIDMC, UChi, NW, Case and Rush. I am definitely thinking about a fellowship in something procedural (ie cards, gi or pulm/cc). Big questions are Uchi vs NW. Also, Rush makes the list as they are able to accomodate scheduling issues. I dont know too much about the program except they have a history of private services. Anyone who knows about the current status of the program?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am interested in Hospitalist Medicine and good patient variety... Any thoughts on ranking the following:

Maryland
VCU
UVA
GW
Georgetown
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Wake Forest
Penn State- Hershey
EVMS
Albert Einstein- Montefiore
UMDNJ- RWJ
Washington Hospital Center

Thanks for the help!!!

Interested in academic Heme/Onc; no geographic preference. Need help with the following:

UT Houston
UMass
Loyola
Louisville
UMDNJ, Newark
West Virginia U, Morgantown

Thanks

Hey guys, I'd appreciate some help with my situation!

I am couples matching, however, due to the competitiveness of my significant other's specialty we only got 3 locations where we'd be able to be together.

My question is, will it affect my opportunities for fellowship and being involved in academic medicine if I trained in UMass or UConn vs. Rush, UVA ?

We have in common, UMass, UConn (on my end, he has another great Institution in CT) and our home Institution. If I matched at Rush or UVA and he at his other Institutions, we wouldn't be close.

We already decided on our first option. But now it's a matter of deciding where I'd like my #2, #3, #4, to be. The rest will fall into place after that decision.

Thanks !

These are my options.... (in no particular order)

Mayo
Rush
UVA
UMass
Uconn
UMiami
Northshore/Hofstra/LIJ

would going to a place like UMass or UConn vs a UVA or Rush hurt my chances of matching into good fellowship programs??? Will I get good, solid education at all these programs or just some? Help!!! Sorry for re-posting, just really want to know what you guys think.

Interested in academic Heme/Onc; no geographic preference. Need help with the following:

UT Houston
UMass
Loyola
Louisville
UMDNJ, Newark
West Virginia U, Morgantown

Thanks

Based on your desire for Hem/Onc in the future, that's exactly how I'd rank them.

Hey guys. What do you think about my ROL? I'm thinking about doing academic cards, but still very much open to other specialties like Pulm/CC or GI. Some caveats, currently a student in Texas and planning to return to Texas for fellowship, but I want to see how medicine is done in other places and would like to avoid "inbreeding" factor.

1. Michigan
2. Wash U
3. Northwestern
4. UTSW
5. U Chicago (I've heard things about them being superspecialized and lacking general medicine. Not sure if true?)
6. UW
7. Baylor
8. UCSD
9. Emory
10. NYU

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with that list. Good luck

Interested in Hospitalist medicine, my current ranking is

1. Case Western
2. VCU
3. OSU
4. Kentucky
5. UAB
6. Indiana
7. Virginia Mason (Seattle)
8. Wake Forest
9. CCF
10. University of Tennessee - Memphis
11. UVA

How does this look?

1. Case Western
2. VCU
3. OSU
4. Kentucky
5. UAB
6. Indiana
8. Wake Forest
9. CCF
11. UVA

How does this look?

Wow, why put UVA so low? I've also heard great things about WF

What do you guys think of this rank list, if you disagree why?

1)West Virginia University
2)Dallas Methodist
3)Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou)
4)Mississippi University
5)Arkansas University

1. Case Western
2. VCU
3. OSU
4. Kentucky
5. UAB
6. Indiana
8. Wake Forest
9. CCF
11. UVA

How does this look?

Horrible...to answer your question.

UAB
Indy
UVA=OSU
VCU=VMU=Wake
Case=CCF
UK
UTM

please help me rank the following 9 programs:
fellowship goal: pulmonary critical care or cardiology

this is my current order :)

-NJMS - Newark, UMDNJ (possible disbanding from UMDNJ ??)
-ECU -East Carolina University, NC (little too south)
-BI - Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein (everyone considers it as a community program ??)
-SUNY downstate (good school, but the internal med program is not too strong)
-Eastern Virginia Medical School (is their program rigorous enough?)
-Carilion Clinic, Virginia Tech School of Medicine
-Washington Hospital Center
-Jacobi Medical Center, Albert Einstein
-SUNY Buffalo

So as it stands:

Hopkins Bayview
Dartmouth
Case
UAB
Maryland

Am I crazy? Got the best vibe at Dartmouth and Case...got a good vibe at Hopkins. Really felt neutral on UAB and Maryland. Im trying to go with gut like everyone says but its hard to go just on gut. If your in a bad/good mood on an interview day it can really influence things. Am I crazy not to rank UAB higher?

So as it stands:

Hopkins Bayview
Dartmouth
Case
UAB
Maryland

Am I crazy? Got the best vibe at Dartmouth and Case...got a good vibe at Hopkins. Really felt neutral on UAB and Maryland. Im trying to go with gut like everyone says but its hard to go just on gut. If your in a bad/good mood on an interview day it can really influence things. Am I crazy not to rank UAB higher?

What's crazy about that? Residency is one of the toughest periods of your life. You will get great training at all those places so you may as well as hedge your bets to go where you think you will be happiest during that time. Only you know where that could be.

How would you all rank the following programs? Just trying to get some idea. Mostly community programs with a mix of university programs. They are alphabetically listed. Thanks.

-Jersey Shore University Medical Center
-Lehigh Valley
-Maine Medical Center
-Penn State Hershey
-SUNY Buffalo Sister
-West Virginia University
-York Hospital

Bumping for any suggestions? Thanks.

What do you guys think of this rank list, if you disagree why?

1)West Virginia University
2)Dallas Methodist
3)Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou)
4)Mississippi University
5)Arkansas University

Sorry guys forgot to mention, I'm interested in Cards. Location doesn't matter, I just want the strongest training program that will position me well for fellowship. Thanks!

So..

OHSU or Georgetown? Program quality is important, but so are the job opportunities for the spouse. Are they in different leagues, or fairly close?

Thanks!

I am interested in Hospitalist Medicine and good patient variety... Any thoughts on ranking the following:

Maryland
VCU
UVA
GW
Georgetown
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Wake Forest
Penn State- Hershey
EVMS
Albert Einstein- Montefiore
UMDNJ- RWJ
Washington Hospital Center

Thanks for the help!!!

UVA
Wake
VCU
Jeff
Temple
Drexel
GT
GW= EVMS
Washington-Hospitial center

Don't know where to put Penn state, UMDNJ, AE Montefiore b/c I don't know enough about the programs

1. Case Western
2. VCU
3. OSU
4. Kentucky
5. UAB
6. Indiana
8. Wake Forest
9. CCF
11. UVA

How does this look?
I'm gonna differ from Gutonc:

I'd rank by tiers:

1: UAB, UVA

2: Wake, VCU, Case, CCF

3: OSU, VMU, UK, UTM

Dont know much about indy.

See...was that so hard?

Mayo
UVA
UMass
Rush/NSLIJ
UConn
Miami

North shore so high and miami so low? Miami has pretty massive volume. I mean jackson has 1500 beds! Thats a ****ton of beds

Status
Not open for further replies.