Official 2011-2012 IM "How To Rank" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like everyone here rates Wash U above UChicago (and Northwestern). Why is that? Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

jdh & gutonc, I wanted your blessings on my final list. Interested in cards vs. pulm/cc vs. heme/onc. I haven't changed my list for 3 days now, so I think this is it.

1. NYU
2. UCSD
3. UCLA
4. USC
--------------
5. WashU
6. Vandy
7. Baylor
8. UCI
--------------
9. CPMC
10. Case
11. CCF
12. SLU

#1-4 are final; based on location (big coast city) + strength + gut feeling.
#5-8 based on strength + gut feeling... tempted to move UCI to #5, but I shouldn't... right?
#9-12 based on location.

Big question:
SLU is my wild-card. I fell in love with SLU during my interview experience (the PD & residents were so warm and down-to-earth that at one point, I ranked it #1... don't judge; I appreciate cool peoples). But then, I faced reality: it's in the Midwest, and it's not as strong as my other Midwest programs. I'm inclined to move it above Case & CCF; should I keep SLU where it is or move it up?

Thanks for your input!

If you liked it that much - move it up. Hell move it higher. You won't match that low on your list though.

Thanks!

I've only been to Durham for a day during my interview...is there much to do in the surrounding area? I know New Haven doesn't offer much more but with NYC an hour away I figure that could make for more pleasurable days off...maybe i'm wrong!

Yes and no. I'm not sure how motivated you'll be to drive an hour. I know I really wasn't that motivated to drive an hour and sit in traffick on a day off. Hell sometimes I wouldn't even go to the grocery store if I thought it would be busy. You may be a different type. It is what you make of it. I'm pretty content with a place if they have a movie theater, a book store, a decent coffee shop, and a few good restraunts (I am kind of a foodie, but still don't regularly drive an hour just to have dinner).

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like everyone here rates Wash U above UChicago (and Northwestern). Why is that? Just curious

Because it carries the bigger academic name generally and in their IM divisions, especially cards and pulm - LOTS of big time basic and clinical science research. UChicago isn't that far behind. I've never personally been that impressed with NWern, which I think is kind of weak sauce, but they have managed to mian a decent amount of national rep.

So another question I had is how much residency location dictates where you end up afterwards, i.e. for jobs or fellowship? If, for example, I am unsure about whether I want to stay on the west coast long term, but would be happy staying for the duration of a 3-yr residency program, should I rank west coast programs lower on my list? In other words, should where I want to end up long term play a factor in how I rank my programs?

Any input about this?

If you liked it that much - move it up. Hell move it higher. You won't match that low on your list though.

jdh, thanks for your input. The NRMP log-in website is "not available at this time" => sign from the heavens that I should not change my list at this point. Glad that I certified my list a few days ago.

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

Hi all - need last minute advice on how to rank these three programs:

Beth Israel in NY, Drexel, Lenox Hill.

Thanks!

Yes and no. I'm not sure how motivated you'll be to drive an hour. I know I really wasn't that motivated to drive an hour and sit in traffick on a day off. Hell sometimes I wouldn't even go to the grocery store if I thought it would be busy. You may be a different type. It is what you make of it. I'm pretty content with a place if they have a movie theater, a book store, a decent coffee shop, and a few good restraunts (I am kind of a foodie, but still don't regularly drive an hour just to have dinner).

Ha! you just described new haven's downtown, minus the hobos. ;)

I think this is also based on personal preference - I liked Yale because of that proximity to nyc/bos and my co-residents get into one or the other with decent frequency. Duke felt a little more suburban/settled to me. You couldn't pay me to live in Texas. :)

Program quality wise would give the slight edge to Duke over Yale, then Baylor

Because it carries the bigger academic name generally and in their IM divisions, especially cards and pulm - LOTS of big time basic and clinical science research. UChicago isn't that far behind. I've never personally been that impressed with NWern, which I think is kind of weak sauce, but they have managed to mian a decent amount of national rep.

WashU is a powerhouse, just loses on location. From what ppl in Chicago tell me though that gap between UofC and NW is quickly narrowing in certain fields (cards for sure). UofC is definitely an academic machine. NW offers Streeterville's delights. Pick your poison.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so looking forward to locking down this thread @ 2100 EST today. I've been here 6+ years and this is by far the most neurotic batch of applicants I've seen yet.

"But no, wait a second!!! Would I be stupid to rank a #9 program higher than a #7 program? Location location location. I want to do fellowship in a combined GI / Cards / Onc / Research Pathway. Sorting through 6 Top 10 programs is a nightmare, sorry but no one else has ever gone through anything this stressful, ever, in the history of earth. I guess I know what they mean by gut feeling because I just vomited all over my computer screen as I was certifying my rank list. It just feels so crazy. This is so stressful. I need a Xanax."

I think I need some last minute input.....

JK! We DONE! Let the paranoia begin!

Good luck to everyone!

You can lock us, but you can never cure our neurosis

I can't wait til I get my list uploaded tomorrow and get this over with already.

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone who's participated in these forums for the past few months. You've helped me, you've made me paranoid, you've made me feel inferior, but it was always great to see a lot of the same people return and re-post on these threads. Good luck to everyone!

P.S. Guess someone will have to start a new thread in a couple of weeks for Match...

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone who's participated in these forums for the past few months. You've helped me, you've made me paranoid, you've made me feel inferior, but it was always great to see a lot of the same people return and re-post on these threads. Good luck to everyone!

P.S. Guess someone will have to start a new thread in a couple of weeks for Match...

Ditto! :thumbup:

Thanks! and Good Luck to everyone :luck:

Agreed. You know, even if responses did/didn't change how we ranked, it helped provide perspective... And I appreciate those of you who take the time to frequent the site and give us advice... it REALLY makes a difference and gave (me, at least) peace of mind.

Best of luck everyone. What's done is done, and let the cards fall where they may!
:luck: :xf::)

Agreed. You know, even if responses did/didn't change how we ranked, it helped provide perspective... And I appreciate those of you who take the time to frequent the site and give us advice... it REALLY makes a difference and gave (me, at least) peace of mind.

Best of luck everyone. What's done is done, and let the cards fall where they may!
:luck: :xf::)
I'll second this. My "advisor" seemed 1000% less useful than the community here. I appreciated everyone's input, even if I only sought it by proxy.

Agreed! Thank you guys for all your help. There was a ton of great insight here. In 22 days, you will hear from us again....**** what do we need to do to start residency!!

Status
Not open for further replies.