Official 2009-2010 Late Completion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel supportive from this thread. Am down to the last 6 secondaries. Average MCAT(a 7 in one of the sections), aamcs verified late October and LOR in mid-November. Just completed at 3 schools,~10 silent. Hoping to hear some good news before Christmas :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

WOOHOO! finally done with all my secondaries!

btw Texas dude -- forgot your handle and I'm on an iPhone and too lazy to look lol -- don't give up hope. I have a women-in-neuroscience mentor who a chair of a neuro dept at UTMB and fairly active in their admissions process (in hindsight as I'm writing this I really wish I'd sat down and done the tx md app, lol), and she's told me multiple times that as long as you're qualified, plenty of people get in despite applying very late in the game

btw Texas dude

dudette** :D I'm a girl haha

forgot your handle and I'm on an iPhone and too lazy to look lol -- don't give up hope. I have a women-in-neuroscience mentor who a chair of a neuro dept at UTMB and fairly active in their admissions process (in hindsight as I'm writing this I really wish I'd sat down and done the tx md app, lol), and she's told me multiple times that as long as you're qualified, plenty of people get in despite applying very late in the game

Thanks for the encouragement! Best wishes to you! :) Hope it turns out positively for all of us this season.

And honestly, even if it doesn't, there is ALWAYS next year. This is my 2nd year applying, so don't lose faith!

:luck::xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Still 4 secondaries 2 go, but 1 new interview invite 2day! That's #2! keep the faith everyone!

At last, got my last completion email this morning from NYMC and my first interview invite (Cornell!). For the record, Cornell was my very first completion, so maybe this is the start of a trend!

Yay!!! I got my first interview today so there is hope yet :)

Meharry Medical College

Completed 10/12
Interview 1/11

I hope I get maybe 2 more? Please God, let me get 2 more...

Another invite!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! maybe this is a good sign...interview #3 of the 8 completed!

dudette** :D I'm a girl haha

:highfive: from dudette to dudette!

And honestly, even if it doesn't, there is ALWAYS next year. This is my 2nd year applying, so don't lose faith!

:luck::xf::luck:

and yeah, i just figure eff it, if i don't get in this year i'll just edit for a few weeks and then dump all my BS on them again in 7 months. LOL. and this time i'll be the FIRST out the gate!

anyway, wanted to share some interesting info: i had a phone chat w/ UCSD's director of admissions. he actually assured me that UCSD, for one, keeps a number of spots 'in reserve' for late, well-qualified applicants. he said he can't speak for other schools, but he would be surprised if that wasn't the case for at least some of them.

so keep your hopes up, everyone! we'll get there! :xf::xf:

meanwhile: got another interview invite from duke. w00t! that's 3 invites, 1 rejection, and 31 thunderous silences. :D

Last edited:
bump! any news post-thxgiving, guys? i just got rejected from UC Davis >_<

no news here...hoping to hear (good news) from hopkins in the next week or two :luck::luck: and maybe some more interview invites if I'm lucky..

good luck everyone! hang in there :)

Well, I got an interview from Vandy the week before Thanksgiving and then rejected from Duke the day before. Nothing since then though. I still am waiting to hear from 12 schools!

(From October 7th)
I was complete last week of September at most schools, and I just got my first interview invite. (I'm one of those high stats guys).
Things have certainly stagnated since.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have been freaking out these past couple of weeks. I retook my mcat in late august and did not apply until september. Submitted secondaries in mid to late october. I have no recieved any interviews yet. I am not sure whether it is too early to expect them or I am not going to get any. Thank god for the support of all these late applicants!!

So I have been freaking out these past couple of weeks. I retook my mcat in late august and did not apply until september. Submitted secondaries in mid to late october. I have no recieved any interviews yet. I am not sure whether it is too early to expect them or I am not going to get any. Thank god for the support of all these late applicants!!

Many people whose applications were complete in September are still waiting to hear from many schools (including myself). I wouldn't sweat about it too much.

Many people whose applications were complete in September are still waiting to hear from many schools (including myself). I wouldn't sweat about it too much.

Same - I applied in early to mid september to most schools and I have heard from less than 1/2 - mostly the ones I applied to in early September.

Same - I applied in early to mid september to most schools and I have heard from less than 1/2 - mostly the ones I applied to in early September.

Yep. Out of the 20 schools I applied to, I have only heard from 8...

Same here! It is a frustrating process.

I'm still waiting on 29 schools (yes I applied to a lot). I've called the ones where I've been complete for 3+ months and they've all just said my app is still being reviewed. Frustrating indeed.

I'm still waiting on 29 schools (yes I applied to a lot). I've called the ones where I've been complete for 3+ months and they've all just said my app is still being reviewed. Frustrating indeed.

Kudos to you for calling - maybe you'll get something for the effort! I sent 1 legitimate 'in the area' email for one of the nyc schools and got an instant "we're still reviewing your file" response. I didn't bother with any of the others after that :rolleyes:

Congrats to everyone with the interview and good luck!

So when is it too late to interview? March? April?

I haven't heard back from 10 schools and I'm hoping to get one more interview. I didn't really have my sights set on getting a lot of them this cycle (so far I have one). I have talked to a lot of people with similar stats that didn't get any so any interview I am really thankful for!

Anyways is Dec/Jan the latest that we'll hear from these schools? I know some people actually interview in April and get in but that seems really rare.

I think it depends on school -- but most schools give interviews through to March, I believe. I just came back from my Michigan interview, though, which scared me to death because they move so fast (everything's said and done by end of Jan). But I think UMich is unusually fast. And some schools (like Stanford, one of my top two choices) are unusually slow!

My list evolves -- out of 35:

Rejected - Boston, UC Davis, Indiana Univ (I didn't think I had a chance there anyway -- OOS. I just applied cuz they had no secondary and I have a FAP, so it was practically free for me :p)

Interview Pending -- UCLA, WashU, Duke

Interview Finished, Decision Pending -- UMich (loved it. SO MUCH. no idea it was so awesome. Plzplzplz don't reject me UMich!)

Silent -- Everything else!

Hello, fellow late submitters :) I just wanted to be the bearer of good news by sharing that I've received three invites over the past couple months, all scheduled for only 1-2 weeks away from the date of invitation. Don't lose hope - there ARE still interview spots left!

Great news everyone!

I just received another interview invite today! So that is 2 now in total and I'm so excited. I think I'm truly blessed because my stats are not as impressive as most people on here. I even have a 7 in one section of the MCAT and almost didn't apply.

But anyways keep the hope alive!:love::love:

Hey guys- late(ish) applicant here (complete at all schools in late Sept). Just wanted to spread the hope: I just finished my 9th interview (whew! feels good to be done!) and received 2 acceptances! I really couldn't be happier.

Sending you all good vibes....remember- better late than never!

Wow, congrats md2010! i'm still waiting on that very first accept... i think after that this whole process will get so much less stressful LOL.

I actually got another invite (UC Irvine) the same day I got my WashU invite (yesterday), which was after like 2-3 weeks of radio silence from all schools. Woohoo! What an emotional rollercoaster ride this whole deal is!

I belong in this group as well...

Stanford: Complete 08/27 (Rolling)
Harvard: Complete 10/07 (Non-rolling)
Johns Hopkins: Complete 11/17 (Non-rolling)
Columbia: Complete 11/18 (Non-rolling)

Harvard interview invite: 12/12
Stanford interview invite: 12/13

:luck: Hang in there guys. :luck:

Lots of good news in this thread as of late :). While I still wish I applied earlier (and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone applying next year), it goes to show applying late doesn't completely kill your chances everywhere.

Best of luck to everyone! :luck: Here's to hoping the good things continue :)..

Awesome news everyone!

I'm so glad I started this thread because everyone was telling me that if you apply past July it's TOO late. And of course submitting secondaries in Sept is TOO late....

Obviously it's not TOO late. Some have also told me with a 7 in VR I'm basically screwed and should apply next year. However I already have 2 interviews and very hopeful one will turn into an acceptance.

Good luck to all of those interviewing in Dec!! and Jan and beyond.

Remember all you need is ONE acceptance!

hey all

I'm a later applicant (took an August MCAT, was amcas verified in late september, etc.). I applied to 12 schools and have received 2 interview offers, 2 holds, and no rejections thus far. Keep in mind the earliest I was complete at any of these schools was 10/29! You heard me right! I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools but with a 3.7 OA/3.44 BCPM and a 31 MCAT (8 PS!) this was more than I could have hoped for. I almost didn't apply but now am so glad I did--even if I don't end up getting in, because I didn't even think I'd get any interview offers at this point in the game. Stay strong--there's still a chance out there for us!

Aw, sort of bad news today - got waitlisted by UMich. Thought I really nailed the interview too. Back to the drawing board to examine what I did wrong!

Hey guys,

So do you think there are still interview spots in Feb/Mar?

I was reading the Temple thread and someone said the earliest interview date was March....

Do some schools interview into April? I'm just afraid that come Jan, the only interview spots are all for March or that they won't get to our applications.

Hey guys,

I was reading the Temple thread and someone said the earliest interview date was March....

Do some schools interview into April? I'm just afraid that come Jan, the only interview spots are all for March or that they won't get to our applications.

I recently got a UCSD invite for April, and I heard from somewhere that they might go as late as June.

Aw, sort of bad news today - got waitlisted by UMich. Thought I really nailed the interview too. Back to the drawing board to examine what I did wrong!

Sorry to hear that elementals :(. I hear back from my first interview soon, so I can only hope for the best.

Hey guys,

I hope they interview into April, but I don't know of many schools that do.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems like most schools have just overlooked my application. People who were complete after me have gotten interviews, but yet, I am not on hold or anything at those same schools I have not heard from.

Hey, I'm new to this thread but just wanted to lend hope/support; I completed most of my secondaries between mid October-early November, and thus far I have 2 interview invites, 2 holds and no rejections! I've applied to 12 schools and with my August MCAT and late LORs I thought I was a goner for this year. Things are going better than I could have possibly hoped. I had my first interview last week and my next one is early January! It's not over for us yet!

what an optimistic thread!!!

same boat as you guys, MCAT scores released in sept along with my committee letter so i was complete by mid-september at all schools.

they DEFINITELY extend interviews late in the season, i got an interview invite a few days ago from my state school (UMass) for feb. 2. i also interviewed at UNE in december. i've had 4 rejections (UPitt, Albany, Dartmouth, SUNY Downstate) and 2 holds (UVM, GWU) so far, and still have 10+ schools to hear from.

keep your head up! and keep the good news coming :)

just got an interview invite from Boston on 12/16 and an invite from Baylor today! (12/21)

so they are still rolling out.

Complete toward the end of October here too with 3 interview invites and 5 schools to hear from.

And I'm definitely no gunner. Stay positive! :xf: Only check SDN once a day for the sake of your sanity.

keep the faith everyone, i got news of acceptance to UNE on christmas eve :D don't worry about being complete "late" and don't let SDN make you paranoid :)

congrats to everyone with interviews and acceptances!

Happy New Year everybody, and good luck. Late or not, let's hope for better times ahead!

Alwaysbehopeful, this is so brave of you! Thank you. :)

I finished most of my primary in June, then procrastinated my personal statement until August. Gah.. that was a terrible idea.

I guess I didn't think about the takes-a-month-to-verify part. Haha. But now I am in the middle of secondaries, which feels good, and I hope to have them done by October. Right now...

Complete at University of Rochester and SUNY Buffalo.

Submitted secondaries to Penn State, UVermont, Dartmouth, Mayo (just the fee).

Working on secondaries for UWashington, Albany, Loma Linda.

Waiting on secondaries from Wake Forest, Loyola, UNevada, OHSU.

Update time! My last post was in September. So, I applied to 15 schools, completed secondaries at 11, got rejected by 2 (Wake Forest and Mayo), haven't heard anything from 4 schools after being complete (Dartmouth, UVt, Buffalo, Albany). I've had 4 interviews (!) (U of Nevada-Reno, Penn State, Loma Linda, U of Rochester). At the end of February I have an interview for U of Washington. So far, no acceptances, but hoping for one soon.

Here's to an anti-neurotic application cycle! Good job, guys! I'm glad things are going well.

Congrats on all your interviews! I don't know if I ever posted here, but I did complete late so I'll update. AMCAS and TMDSAS (Texas resident) verified in September, completed all secondaries by September 30th. I applied to 11 schools total, 7 through TMDSAS, 4 through AMCAS.

3 silent rejections from UTMB, UT San Antonio, and UT Southwestern but interviews at the other 4 and matched to my 1st choice. Also had interviews at 3/4 AMCAS schools- Oklahoma, Baylor, and Dartmouth- awesome surprises.

All of this with an avg MCAT, avg GPA, and late app. It can be done!! Write update letters- it really helped me.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Update time! My last post was in September. So, I applied to 15 schools, completed secondaries at 11, got rejected by 2 (Wake Forest and Mayo), haven't heard anything from 4 schools after being complete (Dartmouth, UVt, Buffalo, Albany). I've had 4 interviews (!) (U of Nevada-Reno, Penn State, Loma Linda, U of Rochester). At the end of February I have an interview for U of Washington. So far, no acceptances, but hoping for one soon.

Here's to an anti-neurotic application cycle! Good job, guys! I'm glad things are going well.

Congrats on the interviews! Good luck on hearing back from those schools!

Congrats on all your interviews! I don't know if I ever posted here, but I did complete late so I'll update. AMCAS and TMDSAS (Texas resident) verified in September, completed all secondaries by September 30th. I applied to 11 schools total, 7 through TMDSAS, 4 through AMCAS.

3 silent rejections from UTMB, UT San Antonio, and UT Southwestern but interviews at the other 4 and matched to my 1st choice. Also had interviews at 3/4 AMCAS schools- Oklahoma, Baylor, and Dartmouth- awesome surprises.

All of this with an avg MCAT, avg GPA, and late app. It can be done!! Write update letters- it really helped me.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Wow! That's awesome! Congratulations on your match, and good luck with the remainder of the schools!

I am glad this thread was revived!

I also haven't posted on here in a while! Not too much to update on... I received 3 interviews this cycle and will probably hear from all those schools around the first week of March. I received 8 rejections, and I still have yet to hear from 8 schools.

I wish the rest of my fellow late applicants the best of luck for the remainder of this application season!

submitted amcas in august. I think it took like 5 weeks or something to verify.

just got third interview invite yesterday and first acceptance yesterday. (and first rejection a week ago).

Keep hope alive brothers and sisters.

submitted amcas in august. I think it took like 5 weeks or something to verify.

just got third interview invite yesterday and first acceptance yesterday. (and first rejection a week ago).

Keep hope alive brothers and sisters.

Congrats!!

Oh man I forgot about this thread! Submitted AMCAS early August, sent in secondaries in September/October.

First interview at Cornell in December led to an acceptance before New Years. Invite to UCSD for an April interview was rescheduled last second and is now done, got to cancel my NYMC invite a few weeks ago, and then just got a UCLA invite!

I'd say we late applicants are doing just fine.

I wasn't complete anywhere until mid October. So far, interviews at USC (alternate list) and OHSU (hold) with scheduled interviews at U of Wisconsin, Vermont, and NYMC.

With very average stats, I'm pretty psyched to have interviews at 5 of 12 schools I applied to.

Rather than late completion, I prefer to think of it as casual completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.