Official 2009-2010 Late Completion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What school do you go to? Yea but everyone shouldn't feel complacent right now. I applied last year around October-November and got no invited except for the place I took my post-bacc at. Also your friend's high gpa and possibly good interviewing skills had a factor. I had much lower undergrad gpa and probably average all around.:(

I go to a very average state school....definitely not a top school.

My friend had a high GPA yes- but his interview skills wouldn't have anything to do with him GETTING interviews. And to be honest he had pretty bad interview skills and still got in!!

Keep a positive attitude buddy and once your apps are in don't stress anymore. I think things will turn out better for you this cycle :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that late apps hurt stronger applicants less? If so why is that?

Is it true that late apps hurt stronger applicants less? If so why is that?

Because of the computerized processes that adcoms now use, the term "bottom of the pile" doesn't mean much anymore. They can filter the people they want to look at by numbers - so you can still compete against people who completed early but haven't gotten interviews yet. Whether that hurts stronger applicants less, I don't know, but it makes some sense.

LizzyM explained it back in this post (scroll down):
"However, there isn't much advantage to being at the top of the stack. Files are now handled and sorted electronically so it is very easy for adcom members to cherry-pick "the best" for early reading and interview invitations and leave the rest until later in the season. I used to be on the bandwagon for "apply early" but I think that it makes less of a different than it did 5-10 years ago. However, I'd be sure to have the AMCAS verified by July 31 and supplementals turned around as soon as possible."

Members don't see this ad :)
But yeah, I do want to say that I'm excited about this thread. :thumbup: Hurray for late completions!

You can check out my mdapps for more info, but I'm definitely in this boat.. I submitted primaries and completed almost all of my secondaries last week. I'm mailing Rosalind Franklin's tomorrow, and then I still have yet to receive secondaries from Dartmouth and Columbia (I know, but worth a shot), and Wake Forest - but they pre-screen pretty hard, so I'm not expecting on hearing from them one way or the other for at least a month.

I can't believe you were not accepted to your state school. Was it Michigan? because you have a really good app. Columbia and Dartmouth are not that much of a reach if you ask me.

when you submitted your primary, did all of your LORs arrive yet? do you have to have your LORs in for schools to email you saying that you're completed?

Because of the computerized processes that adcoms now use, the term "bottom of the pile" doesn't mean much anymore. They can filter the people they want to look at by numbers - so you can still compete against people who completed early but haven't gotten interviews yet. Whether that hurts stronger applicants less, I don't know, but it makes some sense.

LizzyM explained it back in this post (scroll down):
"However, there isn't much advantage to being at the top of the stack. Files are now handled and sorted electronically so it is very easy for adcom members to cherry-pick "the best" for early reading and interview invitations and leave the rest until later in the season. I used to be on the bandwagon for "apply early" but I think that it makes less of a different than it did 5-10 years ago. However, I'd be sure to have the AMCAS verified by July 31 and supplementals turned around as soon as possible."

O wow, I just went and checked out this thread, I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet on this thread. Do all schools cherry pick or just the one that LM works at?

I can't believe you were not accepted to your state school. Was it Michigan? because you have a really good app. Columbia and Dartmouth are not that much of a reach if you ask me.

Thanks. :) I'm from Kansas, actually. They really like shadowing, but I didn't have any (I'm currently working on that, but at the time I figured 1 year of hospital volunteering + a few other long-term things would be acceptable).

I was pretty crushed when I first found out, but I'm thinking it might be for the best - I'm pretty excited about these other schools now. :xf:

when you submitted your primary, did all of your LORs arrive yet? do you have to have your LORs in for schools to email you saying that you're completed?

i can't speak for the original poster you asked this question to, but none of the 30+ schools i applied to would consider an application complete without all the lors you designate to them in (the main reason i was complete in september :(). are you waiting on one last lor?

Have any of you got interview invites yet?

One invite here, 4 rejections, and a pound of deafening silence.

For all my schools, all LORs had to be in for my application to be marked complete. I submitted my primary and all my secondaries without one letter having yet arrived.

3 intervies. 1 hold. 4 - no responses (but Ive only been complete to some of these schools for about a week)

Members don't see this ad :)
one invite one rejection 18 silences.
although I still have 4 schools left to finish.......

I just found this thread, and I'm in the same boat as most of you. My AMCAS was verified around 9/15, applied MD/PhD to 19 schools, and I'm complete at 15 of them (still waiting on secondaries from 2 of them).

I've only heard from 4 schools so far, but all of them have been interview invites, no rejections:

Case Western
UT-southwestern
Michigan
Wash U St. Louis

I just found this thread, and I'm in the same boat as most of you. My AMCAS was verified around 9/15, applied MD/PhD to 19 schools, and I'm complete at 15 of them (still waiting on secondaries from 2 of them).

I've only heard from 4 schools so far, but all of them have been interview invites, no rejections:

Case Western
UT-southwestern
Michigan
Wash U St. Louis

wow congrats!

Got an email from Cornell this morning and was PSYCHED thinking it was an interview. Instead, it was to inform me that one of my letters was not written on official letterhead and, as such, could not be considered. :smack:

Otherwise, deafening silence from the 9 schools I've submitted to thus far. Still have 5 left to do. UCSD's is due on Friday so I guess I'll finish it today and overnight it tomorrow.

I was complete last week of September at most schools, and I just got my first interview invite. (I'm one of those high stats guys).

my friend recently SUBMITTED her amcas (like 3-4 days ago)... she has average stats, talk about being late. it'll take 6 weeks to get verified and shes only applying to like 5-6 schools... hopefully she gets in shes a nice girl (and has better stats than me) but c'mon now... how can you actually be that misinformed to wait this long to submit?! she had her mcat scores back a while ago but was working on her PS... oh boy if she applied in June when I did she'd be in right now.

The whole deadlines thing is very misleading, and most of us applied to our colleges right before deadlines. Although shouldn't you as her friend have told her about the application process?

Any news from my fellow late completions?

Not a word.

At least two of my schools go through the apps in order, so from the general lag time in the school-specific threads, I won't hear from either Columbia or Rosalind Franklin until December at the earliest.

But I'm hopeful about the other schools I applied to. I can't figure out the lag time on SUNY Buffalo, Dartmouth, or Arizona (at least not from MDApps or the sdn threads) - but Tufts and UVa definitely seem to be giving almost no regard to date of completion with their invites, so since my application is "under review" with them, I'm feeling optimistic. :xf:

It's so funny seeing other people on SDN all excited about October 15th! Haha, man, I wish. :rolleyes:

Good luck, guys!

i'm a late completer too. got most of mine completed 9/9-9/12 and then decided to apply to a bunch of other schools a few weeks later and completed those from 10/2-10/12.

just thought i'd share this story i read elsewhere on SDN cause it gave me hope hahah

Originally Posted by hookemhorns84
I chose to write this post because I think some of you are getting ahead of yourselves in worrying too much at this point. I got into NYU, and here are my numbers and when I applied:

science gpa: 3.4
nonscience gpa: 3.7
mcat: 31S

applied amcas: end of june
completed secondary: early august
invited for interview: JANUARY
interviewed: end of january
waitlisted: march
accepted off the waitlist: may

kicking everyone's butt at literally every subject: september 09 baby.

don't give up and stop this nonsense thinking just because you applied a week earlier and haven't heard back, it's a lost cause. it's NOT.

I was complete on 9/30 - 10/5 at most schools due to a late committee letter. 3.6 32 here. Let's see how it goes!

submitted 9/9, completed around 10/10 for all the schools I'm applying to in my state.

I think it is too early for me to check my application status, but I can't help myself every couple of days.

Good luck to everyone :thumbup:

Complete on 9/25 NYMC
Interview invite this morning!

Don't give up hope!

Hey all!

I'm glad that this thread is allowing everyone to vent their frustrations as well as bring hope to us the "late" applicants.

So far no interview news yet but I'm hopeful. We often hear about the success stories for early applicants but don't hear enough about the late applicants.

I have had one interview so far for SGU in Greneda. This is my backup school so I feel better that I'll be starting somewhere next year. Although there are many difficulties to being a FMG, pursuing medicine is far more important to me. I still have hope for a U.S. school and hope to some interviews!

Keep updating us with your news and success stories!!!

Good luck everyone!:luck::luck:

AMCAS verified first week of September, completed most secondaries by the end of September. Reapplicant, very average stats, with strong ECs and LORs.

So far, two interviews, one acceptance on 10/16, and still waiting to hear back from 30+ schools.

There is always hope!

AMCAS verified first week of September, completed most secondaries by the end of September. Reapplicant, very average stats, with strong ECs and LORs.

So far, two interviews, one acceptance on 10/16, and still waiting to hear back from 30+ schools.

There is always hope!

Congrats! Did you get an email for an interview right away then? Do you mind sharing where and when your interviews were?

Thanks!

Well, I'm a late apply, too. (AMCAS processed 10/7). At this point, recieved secondaries from:

Boston U (completed)
Case Western Reserve (completed)
Dartmouth (completed)
Duke
NYU
Stanford
U of Arizona (completed)
Brown
Yale
Mayo asked for my LORs!
UCLA and UCSF said they're thinking about sending me the secondary
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Silence from:
Johns Hopkins (but hey, I can still dream...)

GPA - 3.8 MCAT - 31
GO TO MED SCHOOL OR GO TO INPATIENT PSYCH!!!

Congrats! Did you get an email for an interview right away then? Do you mind sharing where and when your interviews were?

Thanks!

Interviews at VCU and EVMS, accepted at VCU on 10/16. I got both in-state invites fairly quickly, within 1-2 weeks of submission.

Also passed secondary screens for Mayo and Wake... hoping for invites! Waiting to hear back from 30+ schools.

Best of luck to all and let's keep the good news coming!

I became complete about a week ago with my Sept. MCAT at:

Virginia Commonwealth (IS)
UVA (IS)
Columbia
NYMC
Northwestern
George Washington
Weill Cornell

Waiting for interviews! :)

Just got my first (post-EDP) invite yesterday from SUNY Buffalo! :woot:

Really encouraging, especially since I've only been complete there since the 12th. There is hope! Especially with the schools that don't seem to consider order of completion.

Got 2 more interviews last week, at MUSC and Baylor! I was verified around 9/15 or so, and submitted the secondaries soon afterwards. I was afraid I'd be waiting around til January to even hear from schools... don't give up, they're at least starting to look at us!

Got 2 more interviews last week, at MUSC and Baylor! I was verified around 9/15 or so, and submitted the secondaries soon afterwards. I was afraid I'd be waiting around til January to even hear from schools... don't give up, they're at least starting to look at us!

Congrats! I just checked your MDApps and you're tearing the cycle up. Good luck to all of us late applicants!

Last edited:

I'm afraid with my stats, I'll be more towards the Dec-April category! I can't believe i have to check my email everyday anxiously for 6 months :scared::scared::scared:

I submitted my 20 secondaries in September. No interview invites. 30 // sci 3.2 // cum 3.5.

Rejected from GW and BU.

Blegh!

But here's a fun fact.
My older brother submitted his Duke secondary during winter break of 2006. It was due on 31st and he submitted it on, like, Dec 27th! Aaaand... now he goes to Duke. That said, he had phenomenal stats and went to an ivy league university.

I know I was joking before when I commented on how fast you are getting your interviews but seriously how are you getting all these interviews so fast! Congrats by the way. I got pretty much the same stats as you numbers wise. I guess it is your ECs they must be pretty amazing.

Only invite has been to west virginia (OOS). Balance 30 MCAT and 3.98 gpa w/ lots ECs/Research.

Applied to 30 middle-tier schools...praying for the best.

Complete at most like Sept 10?

I know I was joking before when I commented on how fast you are getting your interviews but seriously how are you getting all these interviews so fast! Congrats by the way. I got pretty much the same stats as you numbers wise. I guess it is your ECs they must be pretty amazing.

I'm honestly very surprised at how well this applicaiton cycle has gone so far for me. My EC's are nothing special, maybe a bit below average if anything (2 years of lab research, maybe 40 hours of hospital volunteering so far, a few other random things I'm involved in). The only reasons I can think of are essays and LOR... I know I got at least 1 outstanding recommendation, not sure about the rest.

I think it might be that there's less MD/PhD applicants, so if they go through them seperately maybe I come to the top of the pile faster? Or maybe it's the fact that I check my e-mail probably a hundred times a day... that's gotta help somehow right?:rolleyes: Seriously though, I'm sure invites will start to come your way soon.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I FINALLY submitted that Duke secondary a few nights ago... 5 MD + 2 MSTP essays... I feel like they just do that to weed out people who don't actually want to go there.

Awesome, harvman, you give me hope - I was complete at most schools about 2 weeks after you. I'm still stoked about the Buffalo invite, so I'm not as anxious as I was before, but who knows - maybe I'll hear from another school next week. That would be pretty cool.

Congrats!

Just got an interview invite from USC today. I submitted the secondary 9/9, but my letters weren't received by AMCAS until 9/23. With an MCAT of 30, there is plenty of hope still!

I also got my first interview invite this week! So, I am still optimistic... :)

Awesome, harvman, you give me hope - I was complete at most schools about 2 weeks after you. I'm still stoked about the Buffalo invite, so I'm not as anxious as I was before, but who knows - maybe I'll hear from another school next week. That would be pretty cool.

Congrats!

With your stats/EC list, I think you'll be getting quite a few invites once they start getting to your application. Also, just so you (and everyone else in this thread) know, I've heard of some schools (for example Columbia) go through their applications exactly in the order they get them (ie they don't cherry pick), so definitely don't lose hope if you don't hear anything for quite a while.

i'm so late :( my earliest completion is 10/6... why do letter writers not realize that they have your fate in their hands?!? :mad:

Hi all,

I've gotten most of my completion emails in late September since I didn't get my MCAT score until September 2. I was very worried about applying late in the cycle but..... I got my first interview invite from BU this morning!!!!!!!

complete: Sept. 16th

I already had a rejection from U of Chicago a couple of weeks ago. So, it hasn't been easy but this invite was a big hope!!!!!

Good luck to everyone on this thread!!!!!!!:):):)

Hey guys I bet im worse off ten all of ya lol

MCAT 25
GPA 3.4

Applied to 32 MD and 16 DO (applied broadly haha)

I was just complete at all the MD schools... I figre if i dnt get in this year it was probably for the best :xf:

I think people get too stressed out about this late stuff... the majority of us are so young that if you dont get in this year it will be okay! theres always next year!

Just learn from your mistakes and fix it for next year :thumbup:

P.S. damn those letter writters haha

Good luck to all of you!!

I'm afraid with my stats, I'll be more towards the Dec-April category! I can't believe i have to check my email everyday anxiously for 6 months :scared::scared::scared:

SAME!!! I get email updates on my phone every 15 minutes. Probably adds to my stress but I want to know asap when I get something :laugh:

Most of my secondaries completed 9/22ish. First interview invite on 10/9. Still waiting on other schools.

Hi all,

I've gotten most of my completion emails in late September since I didn't get my MCAT score until September 2. I was very worried about applying late in the cycle but..... I got my first interview invite from BU this morning!!!!!!!

complete: Sept. 16th

I already had a rejection from U of Chicago a couple of weeks ago. So, it hasn't been easy but this invite was a big hope!!!!!

Good luck to everyone on this thread!!!!!!!:):):)

Congrats! BU isn't an easy one to get!

Status
Not open for further replies.