Official 2009-2010 Late Completion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm joining in the late thread... completed most of my secondaries in September, then had a minor freak out and applied to about 12 more schools and completed those in early/mid-October. I've been lucky and already received 2 invites, but things have been nerve-wrackingly quiet lately... I'm one of those types of people that hates silences and that's all you get with these schools! Haha.. yeah I'm definitely ready for more invites now. :p

Members don't see this ad.

I'm joining in the late thread... completed most of my secondaries in September, then had a minor freak out and applied to about 12 more schools and completed those in early/mid-October. I've been lucky and already received 2 invites, but things have been nerve-wrackingly quiet lately... I'm one of those types of people that hates silences and that's all you get with these schools! Haha.. yeah I'm definitely ready for more invites now. :p

Same here! I have 2 interview invites so far and am just now sending in some more secondaries just in case. Do you all think it's too late?!?!?!? :scared:

Same here! I have 2 interview invites so far and am just now sending in some more secondaries just in case. Do you all think it's too late?!?!?!? :scared:

It is late, but if you've already paid the $ and did the essays, then might as well send them in. You never know. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
joining this thread...
AMCAS verified 9/25. I applied 7 MD and 5 DO. I've gotten secondaries from every MD school I applied to and am complete at 5 of them (only for a couple of days now tho). I still have 2 left to do (USF and UF) Everything seems to be moving rather quickly so far tho...I hope the interviews come this fast too! lol
AACOMAS is killing me!!! They still have not processed my primary. It says on the website that it takes 3-6 wks to verify but its been over 7 for me...I read in another thread that it takes like 8-10. I called and they said they are averaging 7.5 right now. With my stats, the DO route is the better way to go, but I'm just afraid it may too late...Anyone else having the same problem with AACOMAS?

joining this thread...
AMCAS verified 9/25. I applied 7 MD and 5 DO. I've gotten secondaries from every MD school I applied to and am complete at 5 of them (only for a couple of days now tho). I still have 2 left to do (USF and UF) Everything seems to be moving rather quickly so far tho...I hope the interviews come this fast too! lol
AACOMAS is killing me!!! They still have not processed my primary. It says on the website that it takes 3-6 wks to verify but its been over 7 for me...I read in another thread that it takes like 8-10. I called and they said they are averaging 7.5 right now. With my stats, the DO route is the better way to go, but I'm just afraid it may too late...Anyone else having the same problem with AACOMAS?

Odd. AMCAS took 7.5 weeks for me, while AACOMAS only took 4 weeks. You're not that late for DO schools though. Their timeline is a bit different and more forgiving than MD schools.

Odd. AMCAS took 7.5 weeks for me, while AACOMAS only took 4 weeks. You're not that late for DO schools though. Their timeline is a bit different and more forgiving than MD schools.
Ok thanks! That makes me feel alot better:)...cuz I was thinkin about only applying to my top 3 DOs since I felt it was getting pretty late...

Still not complete. I started graduate school in September and some schools required a graduate professor LOR. I asked them at the beginning of October and I think they're taking my "End of October at the latest" seriously :scared:

amcas verified in early october. mcat scores released oct 12. already have 3 interviews lined up. there is hope!

Verified 9/28

I just received a secondary from UCSF!!!! I can't believe it. I also have a secondary from UCI.

My fingers are crossed for some interviews !

It is late, but if you've already paid the $ and did the essays, then might as well send them in. You never know. :luck:

Exactly, you never know. I have 2 secondaries that I just received and am finishing. Granted, our chances may be lower of getting interviews than earlier applicants, BUT our personal chances of getting into medical school increase, even if only slightly. I say it's worth it!

Hey Guys!

Congrats on the interview invites...still nothing here :(

I'm starting to feel kind of depressed :( I guess I'll share my stats:

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.28
MCAT: 30S (lopsided :()
LOR: awesome!!!! and glowing!!!
EC: super awesome!!!!

I know my lopsided score and lower gpa is probably hurting me. But I'm hoping my stellar ECs and LOR will at least get me 1 interview :(

But so far nothing...kind of bummed out today...

But on the positive note - I got to observe my first major brain surgery yesterday!! It was freaking awesome...chunks of skull was flying around everywhere, got to see brain, optical nerve, olfactory nerve, and lots of other things. Makes me want to be a neurosurgeon, but on the other hand, the surgery was expected to be at least 20 hours!

amcas verified in early october. mcat scores released oct 12. already have 3 interviews lined up. there is hope!

Hey thecleaner,

Mind sharing your stats with us? I am still workin on FIU, UCF, and VCU and gotten only 3 rejections so far.

Hey guys, it is my first post in here.

I was just wondering if you submitted your primary AMCAS Application on the 19th of Oct and you got verified on Nov 2, would medical schools who have a Nov 1 deadline still consider your application on time? Did I just miss their deadline? I am really confused about the deadlines (I was not aware of the verification processing time). In any case I will just apply for next year's application cycle.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
4th interview invite this weekend! woot! also, so far, 2 holds, 1 rejection (boston - no surprises there) GL everyone! and for any fellow texas applicants...nov 15th is just a short while away so hopefully we'll have some good news soon!

4th interview invite this weekend! woot! also, so far, 2 holds, 1 rejection (boston - no surprises there) GL everyone! and for any fellow texas applicants...nov 15th is just a short while away so hopefully we'll have some good news soon!

Mind sharing ur stats?

FINALLY complete with my GWU app (late LOR was holding me back).

I was just wondering if you submitted your primary AMCAS Application on the 19th of Oct and you got verified on Nov 2, would medical schools who have a Nov 1 deadline still consider your application on time? Did I just miss their deadline? I am really confused about the deadlines (I was not aware of the verification processing time). In any case I will just apply for next year's application cycle.

Yeah I submitted my AMCAS on the 18th and Rosalind Franklin, which had a November 1st deadline still sent me the secondary email. I think you'll be fine, the AMCAS just has to be submitted before the 1st, I think, not verified.

Hi there,

I've been following this thread religiously to see how everybody who submitted a relatively late application was doing.

I am a Texas resident and only applied to Texas schools (except Baylor and UT Southwestern). I submitted on 10/1 and was verified and transmitted on 10/30. The deadline for the secondaries was also Oct 1, so I had those in by then too.

I am pleased to say that I received my first interview invite to UTMB today for Nov 20. My GPA was around the accepted for most Texas schools I applied to and my MCAT was slightly above average.

I'm hoping to hear back from other schools but will take this interview as if it will be my only one.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish all you guys luck in the upcoming weeks and I guess there is still hope for us late applicants....

Completed most secondaries in mid-sept, and I've received 4 interviews so far as well. Good luck to all :) And to coolnad17, wow! That was an incredibly fast turnaround time for the interview!

Just got my 2nd interview. Also got my 4th rejection!

Interviews: West virg, EVMS (complete on sept 21)

Rejections: Vanderbilt, Case, Mayo, Tulane (all my reaches..)

GPA = 3.98
MCAT = 30 (11/9/10)

I'm from Alaska btw

No news here... complete everywhere by mid-oct, turned in most secondaries by mid-sept. No rejections yet either, though :oops:

Was feeling pretty depressed about it but then I got a job interview at UCSF and was hired this week! So now I'm feeling a little better, and I'll have a great new EC if I need to reapply. Congrats to those of you with interviews!

Complete at Duke on October 20th (that secondary was just brutal), and got the interview invite yesterday! I'm really excited, I had pretty much given up hope on them after taking a month to do the secondary. I love the school, I'm really grateful to have an interview here!

Woo late applicants! Good luck all!

My AMCAS was verified early October. I had already sent in several secondaries. I was complete w/ all secondaries around the middle of October w/ LORs in.

I'm still holdin out for GWU, UIC, SIU, RFU, Rush, Louisville, Tulane, Case (doubt it), NYMC. BU said they will have none :D

29 M (8V 9P 12B) cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.54

Slim chance I know, but I'm holdin out. I am not expecting to hear anything until January...

AMCAS didn't receive my letters until 9/28, and I just got my 2nd interview.

It seems that only people with interviews are posting on my thread. I know that most of you w/o interviews yet are too afraid to post so I'll give you some hope.

I just talked to my friend who got into the UCLA/DREW program and she said she submitted secondaries in Nov and got an interview in Jan. So keep your hopes up!

Also please post something even if you don't have any interviews to give others some support!

Good luck everyone!!!!!

November has been crazy... only 2 weeks into the month and I have 3 new interviews, bringing my total up to 5. My completion dates range all through September & October, with a couple finally being marked complete by extremely slow schools in early November. Unlike some people in this thread, my stats aren't insanely competitive either (low GPA). So don't lose hope yet guys. :)

My LORs were submitted in late September, so I was marked complete at most schools in mid-October.

So far, one interview, one rejection.

I'm worried that I don't have more interviews given that a lot of the schools I thought I had a shot at seem to be scheduling interviews for Jan/Feb at this point... but I'm trying to remind myself that there are plenty of Feb, March, and even April interview slots to go around. Maybe those slots will even be slightly less competitive given that some applicants will have withdrawn.

Just remember what a long month March is! Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

A bit of hope for all the late submitters -- I submitted my primary the third week of July, but I really sat on my secondaries and I wasn't complete at my first choice school (Univ of Alabama at Birmingham) until 10/13 -- and they're rolling! Got an interview invite around 10/20 or so, interviewed 11/12 and ACCEPTED 11/13!

I got an e-mail letting me know I was accepted less than 24 hours after my interview -- I had no idea they would get back to me that quickly. My stats are IS/37S/3.65, for those who are wondering.

Good luck everyone! UASOM class of 2014!

My LORs were submitted in late September, so I was marked complete at most schools in mid-October.

So far, one interview, one rejection.

I'm worried that I don't have more interviews given that a lot of the schools I thought I had a shot at seem to be scheduling interviews for Jan/Feb at this point... but I'm trying to remind myself that there are plenty of Feb, March, and even April interview slots to go around. Maybe those slots will even be slightly less competitive given that some applicants will have withdrawn.

Just remember what a long month March is! Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I'm hoping for February/March interviews too.

So far 3 interviews, 2 rejections, and 2 holds here. I waited until mid-September for my last LOR and was "complete" at most schools then. However, I found out that although I updated my AMCAS to reflect I did not actually take the MCAT a second time in September, most schools did not get that update, and I was not reviewed by several schools until mid to late October.

I have 13 more schools to hear from, many of them reaches so I'm not expecting anything much.

Good luck to all my fellow late complete applicants!

AMCAS was submitted end of August

Received all about 25 of my secondaries by 9/20, excepting UofW (rejected from MD)

Finished the first one like...October 10th?

I applied to a LOT of MSTP programs, except my state schools (MCW/Wisconsin), and a few others.

Applied to nearly no schools outside what I consider the top 30 or so. That is to say, I didn't apply to any 'backups' that I didn't find palatable in the first place. That also means I left out a couple of what are usually considered elite schools.

Submitted most of my secondaries across Oct/Nov, still have a few left

Rejected from several MSTP programs, but got three interviews lined up, including an MSTP interview

Overall, maybe being so late hurt me a little bit. I have a deferred interview decision at UPenn which I think with my numbers would probably have been an interview if I had applied earlier.

I figure the cycle has still been a success so far, plenty of time to receive further invites about which, after receiving WashU, I'm pretty confident.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming to a thread just to tell everyone they have no chance and act like a dick. You must be a really nice guy.

I am NOT one to sugar coat things, but being complete in mid-september is NOT late. Late for neurotic SDN kids with no life? Absolutely. It's on time for the majority of applicants...if you talked to people out in the real world and got off SDN you'd realize that. Stop trying to scare people...they're trying their best so back the off man. You want them to just quit or something? I suggest you change your attitude..because act like that as a physician and you'll never help your patients out. I'm glad you applied early...good for you. Now get out of here if you don't wanna be supportive of others...

To everyone in this thread- don't be scared and don't lose hope. My friend had a 3.8 GPA and 30 mcat, Weak EC's, and completed in NOVEMBER! Got 5 interviews (applied to 10 schools) and was accepted at Rosalind Franklin and Nevada. Yes he had to wait til spring for interviews...but guess what? He is in med school, just like all the people who applied early and got in.

Agreed. I submitted AMCAS in December and got plenty of interviews (some acceptances) with a 3.4 GPA, 30 MCAT. Anything's possible, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, especially on the Internet.

Agreed. I submitted AMCAS in December and got plenty of interviews (some acceptances) with a 3.4 GPA, 30 MCAT. Anything's possible, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, especially on the Internet.

you are the man, you're mdapps is inspiring to say the least.

wow i dont believe it

i got 4 interviews but i declined one. I already got accepted but I am still interested in 2 more schools that haven't interviewed me yet.

Yeah - I still have about 10 secondaries to go to out of the 17 schools I've applied to. ==" But I'm in!

I love you people. This thread makes me feel so much better.

32 schools. 12 secondaries to go. 1 interview so far. First secondary went in... wait for it.... end of October.

>_<

My excuse: I'm working on my PhD thesis. LOL. /beats head on desk.

This makes me feel better becuz I was really getting discouraged. I applied to 7 MD and 5 DO schools, have received secondaries from all and am complete at 5. I have one interview so far, but I really need hurry up and finish the last of these secondaries...

I'll nag you guys if you nag me :]

Also: I f'ing hate Duke. LOL. It's like they went out of their way to make their secondary time-consuming!

Hey Guys!

Congrats on the interview invites...still nothing here :(

I'm starting to feel kind of depressed :( I guess I'll share my stats:

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.28
MCAT: 30S (lopsided :()
LOR: awesome!!!! and glowing!!!
EC: super awesome!!!!

I know my lopsided score and lower gpa is probably hurting me. But I'm hoping my stellar ECs and LOR will at least get me 1 interview :(

But so far nothing...kind of bummed out today...

But on the positive note - I got to observe my first major brain surgery yesterday!! It was freaking awesome...chunks of skull was flying around everywhere, got to see brain, optical nerve, olfactory nerve, and lots of other things. Makes me want to be a neurosurgeon, but on the other hand, the surgery was expected to be at least 20 hours!

Keep your hopes up. I have very similar stats and I got accepted to UM. I truly believe my ECs saved me. Just hang in there and stay positive.

Figured I'd join this support group haha...

Got my AMCAS done in decent time (end of July), but sat on my secondaries for a looong time :-(...got some done in mid september, the rest between early and mid october

So far only heard back from three schools, 1 rejection (BU), 2 interview invites (UMD, Hopkins). My Hopkins interview was scheduled pretty quickly (hoping thats a good sign) and I think it went well, but my Maryland one isn't until end of January. I'm just hoping I hear back from some more schools as I don't know what kind of shot I have at Hopkins and I don't know how many more seats UMD will have by the time I interview...

Best of luck to everyone!

Down to my last four secondaries! Georgetown and George Wash, Tulane, and UMD.

Congrats to everyone for all the interviews!

It's Sat morning, I go to mail box to find 2 rejection letters from SUNY Downstate and UCLA (didn't want to fork over a secondary).

Still no interviews :( but I'm trying to keep my hopes up. I feel kind of rejected because so far I've had nothing but rejections (Tulane, Albany, UCSF - that wasn't a surprise).

I'm on hold at GW.

I used to pray for a Jan interview but now I'm praying for a March interview, a waitlist, and then an acceptance off the waitlist.

Sigh. thanks guys for all the great support!:love:

hang in there, everyone!

my amcas wasn't verified until the last week of august. i finally finished my secondaries by the second week of october. i was so depressed and panicked because it seemed like EVERYONE was getting interviews while i was struggling to finish secondaries. i almost withdrew all my apps because i didn't think i had a chance, considering i was applying late and my stats/ECs are nowhere near good enough to make up for that.

now, i have 5 interview invites, 3 rejections, and a lot of silence. i'm incredibly thankful for all of it, and i believe that it will work out eventually for all of us. so please, don't feel dejected! good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
AMCAS verified late August, most secondaries submitted mid-September~mid-October. Still working on ~5 secondaries...

I belong in this group as well, but only for a few schools.

Stats: MCAT = 36 GPA > 3.9

Stanford: Complete 08/27 (I didn't find out until the last minute that this school has rolling admissions, otherwise I would have completed MUCH MUCH sooner.)
Harvard: Complete 10/07 (Non-rolling)
Johns Hopkins: Complete 11/17 (Non-rolling)
Columbia: Complete 11/18 (Non-rolling)

Re: Elementals, Duke didn't make the cut for me either.

I belong in this group as well, but only for a few schools.

Stats: MCAT = 36 GPA > 3.9

Stanford: Complete 08/27 (I didn't find out until the last minute that this school has rolling admissions, otherwise I would have completed MUCH MUCH sooner.)
Harvard: Complete 10/07 (Non-rolling)
Johns Hopkins: Complete 11/17 (Non-rolling)
Columbia: Complete 11/18 (Non-rolling)

Re: Elementals, Duke didn't make the cut for me either.

hmm, I think hopkins would be considered rolling as they admit/waitlist/reject students throughout the season..

gl though, your stats at least make you a very competitive applicant so I would think you'll be fine :)

Honestly, I'm jealous of the AMCAS crowd... ;) I'm TMDSAS only and there is no such thing as an interview after like.. the first week of January, and generally, it's all said and done before Christmas. :scared:

My stats/info:

TMDSAS Submitted: 9/16/2009
Submitted Secondaries for Texas Schools: 9/16-20/2009
TMDSAS Transmitted: 10/14/2009
Received by most schools: 10/14/2009 - 10/31/2009 (as per emails/websites)

MCAT: 29R
cGPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.74

I've had 3 interviews from the 7 schools I applied to:
UTMB: received invite 10/28 for 11/13 interview
Texas Tech-Lubbock: received invite 11/12 for 12/4 interview
A&M: received invite 11/18 for 12/3 interview, but rescheduled to 12/10 because of Lubbock interview conflict.

No word (other than a few "complete" emails) from:
UT-Houston
Texas Tech - El Paso
UT-San Antonio
UT-Southwestern

I just hate that my interview season is nearly over and I haven't heard from more schools... Trying to be positive though...:xf::xf:

Good luck to all you guys!! :luck: I hope we all get an acceptance this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.