Official 2009-2010 Late Completion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwaysbehopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This for everyone who is just completing at schools (aka applied late, verified late, LOR sent in late, etc).

I think we need to support each other because everyone else on this forum seem to have be complete in like July.

Complete Thus Far:

George Washington - 9/15
Tufts - 9/17
Creighton - 9/17

11 secondaries finished, 10 more to go! Plus more coming hopefully....please share your recent complete dates (after August only).

Good luck everyone! Hopefully this thread will give us late applicants some hope.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't want you to feel all alone since no one else is posting ... I'm here with you :) I've finished over 1/2 my secondaries, but I still have several to go!

Most of mine complete this week (9/13-).

I sat on my secondaries for 1-1.5 months :(. Hopefully this will not hurt us too much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too!

Finished things pretty early but didnt get my MCAT scores back until first week of September, so I'm still just getting complete at places.

Way cool guys! Thanks for sharing! Sometimes I just feel like everyone on this forum is super crazy early.

Post any interview news!

Ones I have completed (but not necessarily "complete" at the school)
University of Toledo
Creighton University SOM
Keck USC
Tufts SOM
University of Pittsburgh
University of Illinois at Chicago
Penn State University
Albany Medical College
George Washington University
Meharry Medical College
NYMC
Tulane University SOM
Temple
Jefferson Medical College

Haven't completed.

SUNY - finishing right now ( a lot of questions!)
Florida International University COM
University of Central Florida COM
Howard University - haven't received secondary, do they even have one?
Drexel - haven't received secondary, should I call them?
Saint Louis SOM
The Commonwealth Medical College
Wayne State

Is anyone burnt out on secondaries?

Way cool guys! Thanks for sharing! Sometimes I just feel like everyone on this forum is super crazy early.

Post any interview news!

Ones I have completed (but not necessarily "complete" at the school)
University of Toledo
Creighton University SOM
Keck USC
Tufts SOM
University of Pittsburgh
University of Illinois at Chicago
Penn State University
Albany Medical College
George Washington University
Meharry Medical College
NYMC
Tulane University SOM
Temple
Jefferson Medical College

Haven't completed.

SUNY - finishing right now ( a lot of questions!)
Florida International University COM
University of Central Florida COM
Howard University - haven't received secondary, do they even have one?
Drexel - haven't received secondary, should I call them?
Saint Louis SOM
The Commonwealth Medical College
Wayne State

Is anyone burnt out on secondaries?

I think people are still receiving the Drexel secondary, so I probably wouldnt fret over that too much, but definitely e-mail Howard and see what's up.

Awesome support group! I wasn't verified until 8/25, then I was out of the country, so I'm only now catching up. So far submitted:

UCSF
UCLA
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein

Tonight: University of Michigan and NYU

Then 10 more...

I did the easy ones first, then the my top choices, now starting on the real essays. Hope to be done before the end of the month :oops:

Still waiting on a letter and 2 secondaries to come in. Weird I never got one from NYMC.

Here's to waitlists!

I really don't think that finishing secondaries now is "late." I think finishing secondaries in October is late.

People finishing secondaries now are "on time" but definitely not "early."

Haha, that is the exact same order I am following. Sadly this means I have no motivation whatsoever to finish out the rest of these secondaries!

Awesome support group! I wasn't verified until 8/25, then I was out of the country, so I'm only now catching up. So far submitted:

UCSF
UCLA
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein

Then 10 more...

I did the easy ones first, then the my top choices, now starting on the real essays. Hope to be done before the end of the month :oops:

Still waiting on a letter and 2 secondaries to come in. Weird I never got one from NYMC.

Here's to waitlists!

thank goodness for this thread. :]

I really don't think that finishing secondaries now is "late." I think finishing secondaries in October is late.

this is a good mantra :laugh:

omg, i love you people soooooooooooooo much......i swear i thought i was the only one...and i completely lost sleep over it.

i feel like i'm freaking sabatoging (however u spell it) myself :(

but i love that someone said applying now is applying on time. after all, why do they give us 'til like december to still apply?

good luck to you all!! seriously, i love you people.

Yeah it really is nerve-wracking. I didn't realize how crucial it was to get the secondaries in so early. I got my first interview invite and it is scheduled for december! Hope things don't fill up too soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
Alwaysbehopeful, this is so brave of you! Thank you. :)

I finished most of my primary in June, then procrastinated my personal statement until August. Gah.. that was a terrible idea.

I guess I didn't think about the takes-a-month-to-verify part. Haha. But now I am in the middle of secondaries, which feels good, and I hope to have them done by October. Right now...

Complete at University of Rochester and SUNY Buffalo.

Submitted secondaries to Penn State, UVermont, Dartmouth, Mayo (just the fee).

Working on secondaries for UWashington, Albany, Loma Linda.

Waiting on secondaries from Wake Forest, Loyola, UNevada, OHSU.

UCSF
UCLA
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein

Then 10 more...

Here's to waitlists!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!! I knew that there were people to keep me sane and from freaking out b/c I didn't submit my secondaries the earliest possible.

Keep up the support!!!

NYMC = should have come already echidna! I got mine before my application was verified so call them to see.

My progress:

Complete at:
Tufts
George Washington
University of Toledo
Creighton
WAYNE (super fast! I mailed it in and the next day it was complete!)

So I'm mailing in my last one I plan to do for a while tomorrow (Howard).

I applied to 3 new medical schools but their secondaries are so hard and I'm burnt out on secondaries!

If I have to write anything more about:
- how diverse I am
- how much I like a certain school
- how I like underserved communities
- my culture and background
- activities since I graduated
- what I plan to do next year

I'm going to throw up :mad:

Good luck guys! Keep this thread alive!

Alwaysbehopeful, this is so brave of you! Thank you. :)

I finished most of my primary in June, then procrastinated my personal statement until August. Gah.. that was a terrible idea.

I guess I didn't think about the takes-a-month-to-verify part. Haha. But now I am in the middle of secondaries, which feels good, and I hope to have them done by October. Right now...

Complete at University of Rochester and SUNY Buffalo.

Submitted secondaries to Penn State, UVermont, Dartmouth, Mayo (just the fee).

Working on secondaries for UWashington, Albany, Loma Linda.

Waiting on secondaries from Wake Forest, Loyola, UNevada, OHSU.

Are you really religious? I don't know what to put on the Loma Linda, furthermore I feel like its too "good" for me...

If I have to write anything more about:
- how diverse I am
- how much I like a certain school
- how I like underserved communities
- my culture and background
- activities since I graduated
- what I plan to do next year

I'm going to throw up :mad:

Good luck guys! Keep this thread alive!

But other than how much I like a certain school, those are easy copy n pastes once you've written them once :)

Hey fellow September applicants:) It's nice to have some company while finishing up those secondaries! I have three left to go including Duke's beast of a secondary...but I'm finally starting to hear back from the Texas schools which is nice! GL to all of you and I'm sure I'll be obsessively checking this thread for good news ;)

I'm really happy to see this thread! I was really starting to panic at the fact that I still have 13 secondaries to do! Hopefully I can knock a few more out tomorrow on my day off!

Are you really religious? I don't know what to put on the Loma Linda, furthermore I feel like its too "good" for me...

Yeah, I'm a Christian so there are a lot of reasons I want to go to Loma Linda. Otherwise I can see how the prompts would be difficult to answer.

I'm getting tired of essays! Lol... the hardest part is getting started...

Add me to the list. I had my AMCAS approved a while back (middle of July), but didn't get my MCAT score until September 1. It wasn't as high as I'd hoped, so I spent the last 3 weeks thinking about waiting till next cycle to apply. Finally decided to give it a shot this time around.

I think I'm gonna apply to:

1. UMDNJ-RWJ
2. UMDNJ-NJMS
3. NYMC
4. Albert Einstein

I sent the AMCAS to 5-6 other schools, but I really don't see myself having any chance at those. I expect to have secondaries done by Oct 1 and LORs done by Nov 1.

I'm not nurturing too much hope of getting in, but oh well - there's always next year.

Arrrghhhh I hate thinking about how applying late has lowered my chances of acceptance :-(

i love this thread! although i feel better about being complete in sept, i wish i was done earlier! my secondaries were done by mid-august but unfortunatley my mcat score wasn't released until 09/08 and my committee packet wasn't sent until 09/04 so i was complete about 09/09 at all schools. no love from anyone yet! i sent a letter of intent to downstate and letter of interest to UVM. a friend of mine got an interview from UVM when he was complete a good two weeks or more after me, but he has residency status, i'm not sure what will mean for me.

im not religious, but i may contemplate praying. im a reapplicant from 2007 and this time around i really feel like i did everything right, so if i don't get any interviews, i may give up on reapplying next year

man, i don't mean to be a downer on everyone, but i have lost so much faith in the past two days. i guess i'll keep those letters of interest rolling...

No way September is "on time" for schools other than the non-rollers and a handful of schools that sent out secondaries late (OHSU, Emory, etc).

For my rolling state schools (Virginia), this would be very late - there is no way to sugar coat that. By the time you get an interview scheduled, a huge chunk of acceptances will have already been sent out, and the acceptance selectivity for late interviews is much higher than the early interviews.

Best of luck to you all.

No it's not SUPER late. Schools only send out ~25% or so in the first round, so that's hardly a huge chunk of acceptances. I think super late is Nov/Dec.

I am completed at 9 schools. Most of them on September.
Only received 1 interview invite so far.
I have 11 more secondaries to work on...:scared:

I am completed at 9 schools. Most of them on September.
Only received 1 interview invite so far.
I have 11 more secondaries to work on...:scared:
Oooh good luck with those secondaries - I still have two I'm sitting on. Complete at 11 schools, 3 interviews atm

So my last letter finally arrived today, the one that the writer said could be in by July. Now those secondaries I turned in six weeks ago can go in the bottom of the stack! Woohoo!

Still have a couple left, but wondering if I should even bother...

Ok ... so I completed all my secondaries in Aug to first week of sept and now im thinking of applying to other places....

I turned in 30 secondaries but now Im wondering if I should have applied to more middle and upper tier schools. I saw someone with stats around mine (i am 3.3/34 and saw a 3.5/32) get an invite at Duke. Now, I didnt apply there or some places similarly tiered (BU, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell, UPenn, UMich, etc). Should I have? I know end of sept (well Oct 1) isn't 'late' but rather 'middle' yet my scores are lower. is it worth applying now to those types of schools?

Hey guys, I'm waayyy later than most of you. I just sent in my AMCAS primary last week. I heard back from George Washington and NYMC almost immediately, but I don't think they filter applicants before sending out their secondary.

Do you guys know what happens for these other schools after sending in AMCAS?

Albany
Eastern Virginia
Jefferson
Michigan State
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Upstate
Tulane University
University of Kentucky
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State

i wonder what is worse at this moment though
handing in apps earlier and seeing your applications passed over
or handing in late and never knowing if you might have had a chance otherwise.

I had to wait on one last LOR to be complete everywhere. I've been complete most places (14 schools) for about 1-2 weeks now... I haven't been "complete" at a few schools though, and I still haven't sent in my Rosalind Franklin secondary.

MansionMD, I didn't get my Tulane secondary for a while after my AMCAS was verified...

You guys are amazing. I'm on hold at most places because my MCAT score isn't released until the 13th.

You guys are amazing. I'm on hold at most places because my MCAT score isn't released until the 13th.

No worries, I'm in the same boat. I figure I'll still be OK if I can at least get the rest of my secondaries done by then.

i wonder what is worse at this moment though
handing in apps earlier and seeing your applications passed over
or handing in late and never knowing if you might have had a chance otherwise.

No contest here.

Late apps will haunt you. Even if you applied early and at this point feel "passed over," you are still higher in the stack than the late applicants.

Flip- What does it matter to you? Should we all just throw up our hands, forget our hard work and cry because we might have missed the first 25% ? No one needs more stress right now, there are still plenty of acceptances available. Why promote such pessimism?

No contest here.

Late apps will haunt you. Even if you applied early and at this point feel "passed over," you are still higher in the stack than the late applicants.

Thanks for coming to a thread just to tell everyone they have no chance and act like a dick. You must be a really nice guy.

I am NOT one to sugar coat things, but being complete in mid-september is NOT late. Late for neurotic SDN kids with no life? Absolutely. It's on time for the majority of applicants...if you talked to people out in the real world and got off SDN you'd realize that. Stop trying to scare people...they're trying their best so back the off man. You want them to just quit or something? I suggest you change your attitude..because act like that as a physician and you'll never help your patients out. I'm glad you applied early...good for you. Now get out of here if you don't wanna be supportive of others...

To everyone in this thread- don't be scared and don't lose hope. My friend had a 3.8 GPA and 30 mcat, Weak EC's, and completed in NOVEMBER! Got 5 interviews (applied to 10 schools) and was accepted at Rosalind Franklin and Nevada. Yes he had to wait til spring for interviews...but guess what? He is in med school, just like all the people who applied early and got in.

i completely agree.... thank you for that post

Last edited:
Thanks for coming to a thread just to tell everyone they have no chance and act like a dick. You must be a really nice guy.

I am NOT one to sugar coat things, but being complete in mid-september is NOT late. Late for neurotic SDN kids with no life? Absolutely. It's on time for the majority of applicants...if you talked to people out in the real world and got off SDN you'd realize that. Stop trying to scare people...they're trying their best so back the off man. You want them to just quit or something? I suggest you change your attitude..because act like that as a physician and you'll never help your patients out. I'm glad you applied early...good for you. Now get out of here if you don't wanna be supportive of others...

To everyone in this thread- don't be scared and don't lose hope. My friend had a 3.8 GPA and 30 mcat, Weak EC's, and completed in NOVEMBER! Got 5 interviews (applied to 10 schools) and was accepted at Rosalind Franklin and Nevada. Yes he had to wait til spring for interviews...but guess what? He is in med school, just like all the people who applied early and got in.

Wow thank you for that post :love:
i sincerely wish you the best of luck this cycle as you would make a great doctor someday.

Patient: Do I still have a chance even though my cancer was discovered late?
Neurotic SNDers: No, the fact that you didn't come in 2 months ago for a checkup will haunt you for the rest of your 6 months of life

Patient: Do I still have a chance even though my cancer was discovered late?
Neurotic SNDers: No, the fact that you didn't come in 2 months ago for a checkup will haunt you for the rest of your 6 months of life

Sadly- I know some doctors who would say stuff like this!!:laugh:

Anyways just relax and get those apps in ASAP. After that theres no point in stressing :)

BTW- that friend of mine had ZERO interviews at Xmas...that would be an EPIC failure by SDN standards! Yet, come Jan/Feb they came flooding in and he got accepted. I personally know many others where this was the case as well:luck:

Hey. Thank you for the post. It really makes me feel better..especially after a depressing day of working on my secondaries. :laugh:

Sadly- I know some doctors who would say stuff like this!!:laugh:

Anyways just relax and get those apps in ASAP. After that theres no point in stressing :)

BTW- that friend of mine had ZERO interviews at Xmas...that would be an EPIC failure by SDN standards! Yet, come Jan/Feb they came flooding in and he got accepted. I personally know many others where this was the case as well:luck:

Imagine that feeling. Not having any interviews before xmas, and then a few weeks down the line they come pouring in...wow. I sure hope for something like that!

hey guys. i guess i'm late to the game, relatively. submitted my primary a week or two ago, waiting for approval.

applied to 36 schools, yes you read that correctly. I have already completed 7 thankfully and am working on ones I haven't received yet so I don't dig myself into a huge hole by applying to so many schools.

Completed:

New York Medical College
U Chicago
Tufts
Boston
Yale
Columbia
Wustl

Schools Yet To Hear From/Need To Complete:

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
The University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The University of Miami School of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine University Southern California
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Oregon Health and Science University
Dartmouth Medical School
Emory University School of Medicine
Mayo Medical School
University of California, Irvine - College of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Harvard Medical School
University of California San Francisco
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
New York University
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
University of Michigan Medical School
Baylor College of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine

lots of work to do...

when you submitted your primary, did all of your LORs arrive yet? do you have to have your LORs in for schools to email you saying that you're completed?

I really needed to read this today. Thank you. :)

I was complete at most schools on the last day of August, so I'm in here just for support!

Anyway, as for your application being "early" or not, don't let anyone get you down. Having said that, GO FINISH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!! Get off SDN!!!!!!!!!! GET OFF THE INTERNET!

Good luck guys.

Imagine that feeling. Not having any interviews before xmas, and then a few weeks down the line they come pouring in...wow. I sure hope for something like that!

Here is the thing- My friend had no idea that completing in November was late! He never came on sites like this and people at my school all seem to apply VERY late (send in AMCAS right before deadline etc). Compared to everyone here at school, he was early!

SDN just makes us crazy and freak out :laugh:

UAAWolf, I think you are officially the hero of this thread. Thank you! :)

Here is the thing- My friend had no idea that completing in November was late! He never came on sites like this and people at my school all seem to apply VERY late (send in AMCAS right before deadline etc). Compared to everyone here at school, he was early!

SDN just makes us crazy and freak out :laugh:

What school do you go to? Yea but everyone shouldn't feel complacent right now. I applied last year around October-November and got no invited except for the place I took my post-bacc at. Also your friend's high gpa and possibly good interviewing skills had a factor. I had much lower undergrad gpa and probably average all around.:(

What school do you go to? Yea but everyone shouldn't feel complacent right now. I applied last year around October-November and got no invited except for the place I took my post-bacc at. Also your friend's high gpa and possibly good interviewing skills had a factor. I had much lower undergrad gpa and probably average all around.:(

debbie_downer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.