Official 2007 USMLE Step 1 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meshuggener

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to report, but can you folks please start sharing your NBME/QBank, etc. etc. plus real deal scores so we can see the comparisons!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Man, lots of superstars here. I'll be happy with a 220, but won't find out until it gets here in the mail. Congrats to everyone.

Is this only for folks who took the test up until June 30th? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth calling my school.

I think only medschool super stars post their scores.....let me bring down the average a little, give hope to the average Joe..

completed 74% of qbank for an average of 56%

NBME #4 2 weeks before step 1 :172

Step 1: 204....and I am happy considering I really thought I was failing it, and that my school was going to make me go to the PASS program which would have been hard on the wife and kids. Maybe I can make it up on the steps to come.

Congrats CUBS!

Our friend's score was through the roof.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same post in experiences thread...

Cubs' Medical Exam Scorecard:

MCAT: 26
CBSSE: 155 (5 weeks out, no studying)
NBME 2: 226 (1 week out)
UWorld: 62% final, 70% done

Taming the beast: 233/97

Respectable. Definitely cant complain since my goal was 230+ :thumbup:

I think only medschool super stars post their scores.....let me bring down the average a little, give hope to the average Joe..

completed 74% of qbank for an average of 56%

NBME #4 2 weeks before step 1 :172

Step 1: 204....and I am happy considering I really thought I was failing it, and that my school was going to make me go to the PASS program which would have been hard on the wife and kids. Maybe I can make it up on the steps to come.

Congrats CUBS!

Our friend's score was through the roof.

honestly, to jump up 32 points from your NBME 2 weeks prior is a great feat. It may not be one of the "super star" things but i think your point improvement is definitely superstar caliber. Congrats.

free exam: 67% 1 week before real exam
100% QBank 65%
100% USMLEworld 70%

Step 1 : 222 (no idea what the 2 digit score is)

People here will probably think I'm crazy when I say I'm happy with my score, but I seriously seriously seriously thought I failed this exam. Proof: i still have ALL my Step 1 review materials , i.e. haven't sold a single book.
Not to mention I'm a pretty mediocre student, so anything over the national average (even brushingly so), I'm darn happy. I had lobster tonight!!

Congrats!!:thumbup:

dude, SDN is pretty ridiculous at times. Congrats to all of you who totally rocked out on the boards! I'm so proud of all of us, haha.

That being said, here's my final data set from boards. I had a hard-core study period of about 30 days (middle of May to middle of June).

NBME 1 - 166 (taken two weeks before I started studying)
NBME 2 - 201 (taken two weeks into studying)
USMLE Mock - 214 (taken three weeks in)
NBME 3 - 214 (taken 1 week before exam)

QBank: 65% completed, 60% correct

USMLE, Step 1 - 234/98 (the benefits of wrap up, eh?)

Given where my scores were prior to the last week of review, I'm extremely happy =) Think it's good enough for those top-tier medicine programs???

Sounds like the NBME exams have actually underpredicted this year. I will let you know about my results but I got a 232 and 238 respctively on forms 2 and 3 so I am now hopeful to be over the 240 mark... Here's to waiting for the post man!!!

Just got my score early morning yesterday. My school's student affairs office was nice enough to release them to us (they copied and pasted the individual score data from the website and sent it to us).

Q bank: 69% completed

I took a prep course where the instructor basically just went over the entire First Aid. I honestly wouldn't have the patience to do that otherwise.

I thought BRS path and phys were really good at supplementing the info in the First Aid. High yield gross anatomy was absolutely golden (it's only a hundred or so pages, so it's easy to go through them).

I did all the NBME self-assessment tests. Didn't bother to score them.

USMLE Step 1: 251/99.

Yay!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan Qbank – Completed 100% (73% avg)
COMLEX Qbank – Completed 100% (82% avg)
Kaplan IV Qbank – Completed 70% (76% avg)

150 Free questions – 84% 2 weeks out
NBME 1 – 221 2 weeks out
NBME 2 – 224 1 week out
NBME 3 – 231 2 days out

USMLE: 241/99
COMLEX 621/91

NBME form 3: 185

Step 1: 181 :(

I think I'm the only person who failed in my whole class so far. Excuse me while I cry for a while.

heech: First of all scary that you would be tracking down people's post like that. That just defines loser.

Secondly, you have no business calling anyone a liar. Anything could've happened, the two posts aren't necessarily inconsistent. He/she might've had a family emergency or a medical emergency.

Thirdly, you sound like a jack a$$.

heech: First of all scary that you would be tracking down people's post like that. That just defines loser.

Secondly, you have no business calling anyone a liar. Anything could've happened, the two posts aren't necessarily inconsistent. He/she might've had a family emergency or a medical emergency.

Thirdly, you sound like a jack a$$.
You hang around SDN enough, and you see enough disgusting behavior to read everyone's writing with a grain of salt.

I didn't call him a liar or any other names, because I'm certainly willing to hear his explanation if he chooses to give one. That said, he explicitly said he scored 185 on his NBME form 3 in this post... but claimed scores of 215, 235 in NBMEs in a prior post.

If he failed, it's obviously sad. If he's posting a false low score in hopes of tempting out other failing scores because he's seeking schadenfreude... that's even sadder.

And your post speaks for your own level of maturity.

finally got my score!

goal: 250+

actual step 1: 263/99

life is goood.....

Does anyone have the average and st. dev.?

Oh, and I got 242/99
I only took the free NBME: 247
70% of Qbank w/ avg in the mid 60s

First of all, you're all superstars in my book. Well done, everyone! Most people seem satisfied, and judging by quite a few scores on here, you certainly well should be.

Mock exam at my school: 229 predicted for the real deal

Step 1: 235/98
I am happy - don't think I really closed any doors with my score...

I'm so jealous that everyone's getting scores! I e-mailed my school and was told by the coordinator that scores can't be released unless a person failed. Well, the coordinator was able to tell me that I passed ... and that I will have a "good weekend." I wish I knew what kind of score warrants a "good weekend"! :oops:

Comlex 623/91

USMLE 236/99 I almost crapped my pants when I opened the letter just now.
congrats everyone!

I definitely did better than I expected but I still didn't do nearly as well as the ppl who post on this forum (probably future dermatologists and orthopedic surgeons). I was just wanting to pass. I only used First Aid and Q bank..did not do any of the NBMEs since I didn't feel like paying $45.

Score: 225/94

Im just wanting to get into a good family practice residency since that's where my heart really is.

Does anyone have the average and st. dev.?

Oh, and I got 242/99
I only took the free NBME: 247
70% of Qbank w/ avg in the mid 60s

in the letter from nbme it says that the mean is 218 with a SD of 23 and a SEM of 6pts. The SEM for the 2 digit score is 2pts.
passing score was 185/75.

I'm glad I live in philly, cause I recieved my letter the day after scores were released.

i just wanted to tell you all how much i appreciate all your posts/advice... i heavily based my studying on stuff i read here, and i'm glad i did. this is a great site : )

NBME2 (2 weeks before): 236
NBME3 (1 week before): 244

UW 50% complete: 72%
Qbank 50% complete: not sure (hated qbank!)

ecstatic goal: 250+
very happy goal: 240+

Step 1: 255/99

I'm tempted to call BS on this one.

unfortunately no. Most of the posts on this account are my boyfriend's. It kind of worked out well because we both had good reason to get smashed. I'm going to schedule a meeting with my dean to work things out. I think I can pass the second time.

NBME 4 (2 weeks pretest): 170
NBME 2 (3 days pretest): 195
Kaplan: 58%
USMLEW: 58%

USMLE: 193

NBME 1 - 220
NBME 2 - 230
Free 150 - 247

Step 1 - 239/99

Pretty happy all in all, though I had aspirations to break 240.

Hey guys.

Thanks for posting scores - even those that weren't out of the stratosphere.

I kinda crashed and burned on test day...216/89.

I wanted 230, would have been happy with 225+, and tolerated a 220, so I'm bummed. The kicker is our school had a 224 average, making my score seem even smaller.

I am thrilled I passed, and am well aware that I am fortunate to have done so. But I feel like I worked my ass off to study for this test, only to have a big fat "mediocre" sent my way.

Onwards and upwards; I hope anesthesiology doors will remain open for me.

Best of luck to all still waiting on scores, and congrats to those who got scores back!

Humbly,

dc

Man... you guys have such high scores. Makes me feel very mediocre... which is pretty much how I feel in med school, so that's nothing new. :)

Got my score 2.5 weeks after taking the test. Now I can finally stop worrying about it. I didn't think they'd do it, but I'm glad they did include all of July.

Here's my scores and practice test correlations:

QBank: only did 70% of the questions. but overall average was like 65% or something pretty low... at the end was getting anywhere from 70% to high 80's. last 300 question average was 78% (that's what that score estimator site asked for).
Free 150 Questions: 86% (took 1 week before the exam)
NBME Paper and Pencil version: 74 (corresponded to 210) took over 3 months before exam date.
NBME Form 4: 500 (219) over 2 months before exam
NBME Form 1: 530 (226) 6 weeks before exam
NBME Form 2: 540 (228) 4 weeks before exam
NBME Form 3: 570 (234) 2 weeks before exam
Kaplan full length diagnostic exam: 72% (2.5 weeks before the exam)

MCAT: 38 (VR:10, BS:14 PS: 14)

Step 1 score: 255/99

Yeah... as you can see... My NBME tests weren't really predicting a good score... and they barely went up over the span of several months.... so that was pretty depressing.
I definitely didn't crank up the studying the last 2 weeks or anything. :-( If anything... was very distracted (issues with my boyfriend).
I guess it could have been better, and definitely could have been worse. So no complaints... I just needed to break 230 (b/c older students had told me some schools screen using 230 score for the specialty I want to go into).

Reading this before I took my test was encouraging, but reading it now I realize only the nut jobs post on here. The closet gunners, if you will. Nevertheless, your advice helped (I took the usmle world route).

USMLE World - 64% at the end
NMBE - 185 before any studying
Step 1 - 237/99

Very happy with score - I don't view any doors closed, in fact, felt like many opened. (cause i def don't want such things as surg, rad onc and other such nonsense.) But I also went in with no preconcieved notion of a score I wanted - I worked as hard as I could and would have to accept my best.

I think it's pretty bizarre to be saying "you make me feel mediocre, I got a 255" A 255 must be one of the top 15 at least scores posted on here... i think you should stop trying to make others feel bad, or worse, mediocre, about anything less than 255. Thats a great score!

I was EXTREMELY happy. My goal was 240+.

NBME Form 2 - 1 week prior: 240

Step 1: 246

Congrats to all you guys who got 250's and 260's!!!! That is serious pwnage.

You guys should update your Step 1 experiences so people can match the score with the resources you used to study, et cetera.

'Tis a shame there's not an emoticon for smacking you :)

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with people with 240s, 250s saying they feel mediocre. You beat the mean by 1 SD - that's definitely far from mediocre. Every residency is still an option with that score (although I firmly believe that there are very few fields in which a score can completely close the door from what I've learned from friends). If you scored high be happy with what you got - don't wish for more!

got mine today!

I passed but with a terrible score!! Doesnt really matter to me though. I essentially used the usmle as a practice warm up for the comlex seeing i am in DO school. The strategy worked. Crunched the comlex.

Glad to have it behind me.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with people with 240s, 250s saying they feel mediocre. You beat the mean by 1 SD - that's definitely far from mediocre. Every residency is still an option with that score (although I firmly believe that there are very few fields in which a score can completely close the door from what I've learned from friends). If you scored high be happy with what you got - don't wish for more!

It was not about what score can get what residency, etc. for me. It was all about the score itself. A high score would have given me confidence and happiness that I could carry with me through the rest of med school. I could look back and feel happy that I accomplished something that only a handful of people could do. You can't be proud of something that thousands upon thousands of other people have. That's why I feel totally mediocre and unremarkable.

Unhappy Score: 239 or less
Neutral Score: 240
Very Happy Score: 250+

Actual Score: 240/99

I'm perfectly f**ing neutral. More goddamn neutrality in my life.

'Tis a shame there's not an emoticon for smacking you :)

sorry ... I guess I didn't word it very well. (surgery rotation is really making me a zombie). I am super relieved that I cleared 230, that's all I was hoping for (because students in the year ahead of me said you just have to score above that in order not to get screened out). I didn't think my score was very good b/c there are several friends who got way above me (15 points is a big difference right?)... and maybe a few with about the same score. I'm definitely on the lower end. :-/

And I only said it could have been better because I didn't prepare very well. b/c of issues with bf during study period. (e.g. I finally finished reading First Aid 2 days before the exam... only read like 5 chapters of BRS path... only got through 4 chapters of HY Embryology, only read through chapter 8 of HY Behavioral science. only got through 3 chapters of Rapid Review Biochem. Yeah... those subjects that our curriculum didn't really cover and that I wish that I had gotten to learn better. I definitely should have read First Aid earlier! They have some good mnemonics :). I guess if I had started using these forums earlier, I might have been better prepared. I haven't been on this thing since applying for med school during senior year of college... my school email expired so i had to start all over)
Given my level of preparation though, I am very grateful of what I got. :)

Good luck to everyone!