Official 2007 USMLE Step 1 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meshuggener

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to report, but can you folks please start sharing your NBME/QBank, etc. etc. plus real deal scores so we can see the comparisons!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT:
LSAT:
GRE:
Bar Exam:

NBME 1
NBME 2
NBME 4
NBME 3

...what does all these stand for?
I'm not from the US and I was told that the only important score is the Steps ones... am I wrong?
Thanks!

...what does all these stand for?
I'm not from the US and I was told that the only important score is the Steps ones... am I wrong?
Thanks!

MCAT: Test you take to get into medical school. People just post their scores for interest and correlation sake.
LSAT, GRE, Bar Exam: Law and business exams.... did you see these exams on this forum? If you did, it was just an interest thing as well.

NBME exams are exams you can take to predict your USMLE scores. They're just for your info and they cost money. But they are excellent predictors of your score.

wow, i'm finally posting on this thread . . . weird thats its all finally over

because people know me on here, i will not post my score. but i will say that i blew the mean away, and thats all that was important to me.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON HERE FOR SUPPORT, ADVICE, AND EVERYTHING ELSE

SDN was my primary source, and if anyone is uneasy about this forum, be certain that people on here know what they are talking about . . . well, not everyone, but for the most part

thanks everyone. and congrats to all

Congrats!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get my scores online and there isnt even a "score report date" in that field when I log into NBME, so I don't think I'll get it in the mail this weekend either :(

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone curious:

A classmate of mine received a 275. Apparently his score report said that this is the highest score nationally. Thougt some folks might be interested in knowing this, and I was wondering if anyone knew of anything close/equal. I know UCLA did up there as well, but don't know of anyone else in this elite group.

sounds sketchy. also, what kind of tool tells you his score report said he got the highest in the nation?

MCAT: Test you take to get into medical school. People just post their scores for interest and correlation sake.
LSAT, GRE, Bar Exam: Law and business exams.... did you see these exams on this forum? If you did, it was just an interest thing as well.

NBME exams are exams you can take to predict your USMLE scores. They're just for your info and they cost money. But they are excellent predictors of your score.

Thanks so much for your help. I had the feeling they weren't all med-related (especially the bar exam) but wasn't sure, so...thanks!! :oops:

Congrats!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get my scores online and there isnt even a "score report date" in that field when I log into NBME, so I don't think I'll get it in the mail this weekend either :(

-tx

thanks mate. hang in there, you'll get your scores next week. let me know how it goes, and i'll toast one up for you . . .

cheers

239/99! Not close to the other outstanding scores on here but I'm happy :D

Will post in experiences thread later......

-tx

That is a VERY familiar score for me ;)
It's like we're Step 1 twins :thumbup:

took this test 2 years ago. my three digit score (230) = two digit 93 and now a 223 is = to 93.

why is this...lower mean???

took this test 2 years ago. my three digit score (230) = two digit 93 and now a 223 is = to 93.

why is this...lower mean???

Both the mean and the mark for passing have increased in recent years. I'm not sure why the change.

each year the 3 digit scores correspond to different 2 digit scores. there is a constant correlation between 2 & 3 digits scores within the same year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both the mean and the mark for passing have increased in recent years. I'm not sure why the change.

Well- I would conclude from that 1) The exams have gotten more difficult [eg getting a 220 or whatever now is harder than it was 5 years ago say... and 2) the test takers have gotten smarter/more competitive (also note that mcat scores for matriculants have likewise slowly increased by several points over past decade..

anyway that's my theory

So, I might get hated on b/c I haven't posted anything yet (I confess, I'm an sdn lurker), but I figure I'd post anyways to share my experience to give hope to those who've fallen behind their study schedule:

MCAT 37
Actual study time: ~6 wks (w/ a couple of vacation days)
150 Qs: didn't do 'em (all my friends said it was "too easy")
NBME 4: 244 (5 days before test)
QBank: ~60% completed, avg = 77% (did NOT set to random)

Step 1 score: 260/99

I feel a little silly b/c I didn't do EVERY single test out there (i.e. all the nbme tests, those questions in brs), and even ran out of time to finish up qbank (definitely did not do a single anatomy question, but did do all the path and phys), and maybe I woulda gotten a few more points had I done them, but I'll take it for now and thank a greater being for my luck.

My book list is posted on the other thread somewhere today. I wish all current studyers the best of luck!

235/98

Pretty satisfied with that score, though I probably would have done better if I didn't take the exam so late in the testing period (initially scheduled for July 27th and delayed it till August 27th due to conflicts with my summer exam schedule). I totally ran out of gas about 3 weeks before writing the exam and could sense the information steadily hemorrhaging from my brain.

235/98

Pretty satisfied with that score, though I probably would have done better if I didn't take the exam so late in the testing period (initially scheduled for July 27th and delayed it till August 27th due to conflicts with my summer exam schedule). I totally ran out of gas about 3 weeks before writing the exam and could sense the information steadily hemorrhaging from my brain.

Congratulations and well done!
:thumbup:

So, I might get hated on b/c I haven't posted anything yet (I confess, I'm an sdn lurker), but I figure I'd post anyways to share my experience to give hope to those who've fallen behind their study schedule:

MCAT 37
Actual study time: ~6 wks (w/ a couple of vacation days)
150 Qs: didn't do 'em (all my friends said it was "too easy")
NBME 4: 244 (5 days before test)
QBank: ~60% completed, avg = 77% (did NOT set to random)

Step 1 score: 260/99

I feel a little silly b/c I didn't do EVERY single test out there (i.e. all the nbme tests, those questions in brs), and even ran out of time to finish up qbank (definitely did not do a single anatomy question, but did do all the path and phys), and maybe I woulda gotten a few more points had I done them, but I'll take it for now and thank a greater being for my luck.

My book list is posted on the other thread somewhere today. I wish all current studyers the best of luck!

not bad. :thumbup:

i also felt kind of dirty before i went into the exam because i only took one NBME exam and skipped the 150qs

235/98

good job, man.

Glad I finally get to post here:

MCAT: 26,25

NBME 2: 219 (4 wks out)

NBME 4: 204 (2 wks out)

Free 150: 86% (1 wk out)

NBME 3: 232 (3 days out)

Step 1 score: 239/99 :eek:

Yeah, I was really shocked, especially since I thought I did poorly on it. I know it's not as high as the astronomical scores you see on here, but I'm pumped (my goal was 220). Thanks to all of you for your collective wisdom. I wouldn't have known where to start if it weren't for this site. As soon as I get my COMLEX score, I guess it'll be time to pack up and move to the clinical rotations forum and start all over again w/Step 2.

I felt awesome for about 2-3 hours after i took the exam. than i got home and did the big mistake of opening up first aid. i counted like 5 dumb recall mistakes right off the bat. Questions i got wrong!AGg, i know i shouldnt have opend up F>A! I just signed into this forum however ive been a silent member for about 3 months ,just reading everyone elses experiences. I dont know where to put thiis post of mine or even where im going with all this but....i do have some questions and was hoping someone could direct me to the right place /forum page so i can post. thanks

wow. i hope i do the same like all of you. gonna study my arse off, but important thing is im still gr 1 med lol

Step 1 score: 265/99

Here is what worked for me – hope it helps people find out what works best for them:

Preparation Materials:
Books:
· Kaplan HOME STUDY Review Series: Was my main resource. Read it twice (in detail). Cost me $400, but was worth every penny. Was a comprehensive review that was very detailed and extremely well-organized.
· Robbins Review of Pathology QUESTION BOOK (not the textbook) – Excellent review of pathology and pathophysiology (i.e. NOT just pathology) – was of great help on my exam.
· BRS Pathology – just to see if anything was missed in the pathology sections of each organ system in Kaplan Review (which was rarely the case, b/c Kaplan had more pathology than BRS pathology).
· 1st Year Anatomy Lecture Notes (from my medical school curriculum) – I kept getting killed on the anatomy questions, until I went over my notes.
· First Aid 2007: just because everybody else in my school swears by it. In retrospect, I think that it is overrated since it is replete with errors, and presents material in a poorly organized fashion.
· Goljan: did NOT use the book, lecture notes or recorded lectures.

Question Banks:
Robbins Review: 82% correct/100% completed.
Kaplan Qbank: 75% correct/100% completed. Random blocks of 50 questions, with NO repeats.
USMLE World: 71% correct/82% completed. Subject-based blocks of 50 questions.
Kaplan Qbook: 74% correct/100% completed.
USMLEasy Lite: 84% correct/100% complete. Subject-based.
Exammaster: 65% correct/35% complete. Subject-based blocks of 50.
BRS Pathology/Pharmacology/Physiology/Biochemistry/Neuroanatomy : did comprehensive exams at end of each book, just to make sure I was not missing anything major.

USMLE World is more representative than Kaplan.

Practice Tests:
150 free questions: 76% (on day 1 of studying, to establish baseline)
NBME 4: 720/258 (4 weeks before exam)
NBME 1: 640/247 (2 weeks before exam)
NBME 2: 640/247 (10 days before exam)
NBME 3: ~97% correct (didn't want to keep paying $45) – 3 days before exam.

Another success story with Kaplan materials. Don't anyone blow off the Kaplan Notes, they are truly awesome.

Step 1 score: 265/99

Here is what worked for me – hope it helps people find out what works best for them:

Preparation Materials:
Books:
· Kaplan Review Series: Was my main resource. Read it twice (in detail). Cost me $400, but was worth every penny. Was a comprehensive review that was very detailed and extremely well-organized.
· Robbins Review of Pathology QUESTION BOOK (not the textbook) – Excellent review of pathology and pathophysiology (i.e. NOT just pathology) – was of great help on my exam.
· BRS Pathology – just to see if anything was missed in the pathology sections of each organ system in Kaplan Review (which was rarely the case, b/c Kaplan had more pathology than BRS pathology).
· 1st Year Anatomy Lecture Notes (from my medical school curriculum) – I kept getting killed on the anatomy questions, until I went over my notes (which, I am sure, are comparable to any anatomy notes from a US or foreign medical school).
· First Aid 2007: just because everybody else in my school swears by it. In retrospect, I think that it is overrated since it is replete with errors, and presents material in a poorly organized fashion.
· Goljan: did NOT use the book, lecture notes or recorded lectures.

Well, a friend of mine asked me to post my STEP 1 experience, so here it is...

MCAT: 28

Step 1: 258/99 :)

I did much better on Step 1 than I thought I would. I was shooting to try to score at least 220. For what it's worth, here is how I prepared...

I started preparing about 6 months in advance. I went through 100% of QBank. I read through FirstAid 2 times during those 6 months, on top of my regular 2nd year course work. I listened to Goljan audio most days during my commute during that time as well. Then, right before the test I took a review course (called WhatYouNeedToKnow) that lasted a couple weeks in which I went through FirstAid another time. Then during the week prior to the test I reviewed FirstAid one last time.

I did take one of the USMLE sample tests...I think it was Form 1 and scored somewhere around 235-240 (can't recall exactly).

Also, one of the most important things I did which made a big difference is that while I went through QBank, I would spend plenty of time with the explanations of why I got something right or wrong. This helped me to understand why I got something wrong and where my logic was messed up. Then, I created a spreadsheet with an explanation of how to correctly work through every problem that I missed from QBank. This was like creating my own personal "High Yield" information based on what I had identified as my weak areas. I reviewed this High Yield spreadsheet of information once before I took the review course, and once just before the exam. Taking the extra effort to make this spreadsheet served me well and possibly could serve you well too.

Good luck. :luck:

Kaplan Qbank: 70%
usmleworld: 50-60%

Step 1: 216/89

Does this score make me good for General Surgery??

My score is nothing special, but I'm very happy with it since I was pretty worried about passing this exam at all. I'm an IMG in Germany.

USMLE Step 1: 218 (90)
Taken on Nov. 19, score reported Dec. 12

NBME 3 (1 month before): 340
NBME 1 (2 weeks before): 390
150 Qs (1 month before): 71%

USMLE World: 49% cumulative
USMLE Rx: 50% cumulative
(mixed block scores improved to just over 60% by end in both banks)

Thanks to all of you in this forum. :)

My score is nothing special, but I'm very happy with it since I was pretty worried about passing this exam at all. I'm an IMG in Germany.

USMLE Step 1: 218 (90)
Taken on Nov. 19, score reported Dec. 12

NBME 3 (1 month before): 340
NBME 1 (2 weeks before): 390
150 Qs (1 month before): 71%

USMLE World: 49% cumulative
USMLE Rx: 50% cumulative
(mixed block scores improved to just over 60% by end in both banks)

Thanks to all of you in this forum. :)

Wow, that is a pretty amazing final score. I would have chickened out of taking the exam with those NBME scores. Congratulations owl!! Way to trust your owns instincts and making things happen!! I am definitely impressed!

Goal: 235 or over
NBME 3: 560 (232)
150 Qs: 82%
UW: (100% complete) 67%
Kaplan: (45% complete) 66%
MCAT: 33

Step 1: 228/95

Little disappointed as was not a mega-SDN-Like score but happy to pass it. My goal was >=235, coz I have no idea what I want to do and I heard that it is kind of a safe score (don't know if that is true or not). What screwed me was all the cardio questions I kept getting (felt as if I am taking cardio boards or something). Did well on other subjects but the bar on cardio was almost to the left side of curve (almost a negative asterisk :D)

Got my score this morning! OK, it is not sky-high, but I am very happy with my 238/99!

Thank you everyone for support and good luck!

Congrats! :thumbup:
Thank you!

Free 150 qs - 85% (baseline on day 1 of studying).
NBME 1 - 222 (halfway through, untimed)
NBME 2 - 222 (4 weeks out, timed, one sitting)
UW - started with 50% correct, completed 100% of the qbank, ended up with 80% on average
Studied for 6 months (a couple of hours per day at most), but last 2 weeks full time, with the only exception of the w/e before the test, when I was on call.

probably could have done better on the real deal, but I did not have good sleep (stress) the previous night, and I had to start the exam at 8:30 am - and I am SO not a morning person. but it is a competitive score (very competitive for psych, which is what I want to do) and I am DONE WITH IT!!!! WEEEEEEEEE!:luck::luck::luck: I am happy,happy, happy!

is there a safe # for UW avg to shoot for to correlate to a certain level of usmle score? basically i wanna know if a 70 avg is enough to make a 99 step 1 possible haha, i saw a formula online but it seemed kinda random wanted y'alls input ....

peace

hello everyone,

am waiting for my step 1 score to come out. judging by previous posts I reckon i can guess my 3 digit score +/- 5.

3 months before
USMLE CD test block 1 = 70%

<2 months before
USMLE CD block 2 = 78%

1 month before
USMLE CD block 3 = 82%

2 weeks before FIRST AID Q&A Full-lenght test = 68%

5 days before
USMLE CD all blocks = 90%

hello everyone,

am waiting for my step 1 score to come out. judging by previous posts I reckon i can guess my 3 digit score +/- 5.

3 months before
USMLE CD test block 1 = 70%

<2 months before
USMLE CD block 2 = 78%

1 month before
USMLE CD block 3 = 82%

2 weeks before FIRST AID Q&A Full-lenght test = 68%

5 days before
USMLE CD all blocks = 90%

I haven't heard of anyone using the 150 sample questions for estimating the scores, i'm curious to find out, keep us updated.

by the way...i LOVE your screen name :D