Official 2007 Interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wake is your safety school? OOOK... good luck with that.

Whoa... didn't expect the fallout from that one. :( Sorry, I guess what I really meant was that ultimately, I think they will not be my top choices, not that I'm super duper qualified or even more likely to get these spots than other cats out there. If I don't get at least 10 interviews, then I'll re-submit to other less competitive programs.

Just checked my mail from over the weekend. UAB invite in the mail. Gotta love a place that still adheres to snail mail! :) Best of luck to everyone out there!

Peace,
John

Members don't see this ad.

UAB invite by mail received 9/16.

An e-mail from Georgetown today saying they received applications and are beginning their review of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
An e-mail from Georgetown today saying they received applications and are beginning their review of them.

same email

but I did get an invite from Dartmouth!

SO that makes interviews with my home school, UAB, and Dartmouth...along with a whole handful of acknowledgments and we'll get back to you in Novembers...I'm okay as long as the invites keep trickling in :)

I wish him even better luck with UAB as a safety.

Heh I was thinking the same thing. As well as thinking how unlike applying to college or med schools the whole process for residencies is. This is much more akin to interviewing for a job, because that is by and large what residency is... on the job training. You'll find when you interview that your preconceived rank list may be turned on its head when you meet your future coworkers in your future work enviroment.

good luck everyone :) interviewing is tiring but fun at times. don't spazz out about not getting interviews immediately. you can get some gems trickling in later in the season.

Heh I was thinking the same thing. As well as thinking how unlike applying to college or med schools the whole process for residencies is. This is much more akin to interviewing for a job, because that is by and large what residency is... on the job training. You'll find when you interview that your preconceived rank list may be turned on its head when you meet your future coworkers in your future work enviroment.

good luck everyone :) interviewing is tiring but fun at times. don't spazz out about not getting interviews immediately. you can get some gems trickling in later in the season.

Hey, appreciate your advice, about not spazzing out. Because right now I am spazzing out, at times. It sounds like you have been through it and I was wondering when should someone start spazzing out. I got 213/87 on step 1 and got some good letters. I just start doubting myself and wondering if I have what they are looking for? I know you don't have a crystal ball but just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement, because I needed it.:)

Oregon Health Sciences interview today also. I'm sorry to admit that I don't know a lot about this program so if any of you have any information about it to share I would greatly appreciate it. Good luck everybody.

Numero uno today. Penn State. Yeah boyeee

So I just submitted my application to 50+ programs. Coming from a top 20 med school with below average boards, I just want to make sure I go somewhere. Hopefully we'll all hear some good news soon. Oh yeah, just heard back from BID with the typical spiel about reviewing apps only after the MSPE is in. Otherwise, that's it for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im getting kinda nervous here. Not hearing anything at all except from U of Mich, where I got an invite. Granted that I have not applied to any of the places that people here have gotten interviews from, except for Wash U and SLU. Just trying to resist the temptation of applying to more programs. Although if I did get a interview from U Mich, I should have some more coming. They are pretty competitive, no? Anyone here hear anything from the Chicago programs? Thanks.

Also, just wondering if the fact that I dont have my anesthesia LOR sent out yet matters?

I'm in the same position. I got an interview at oklahoma over a week ago and since I have only gotten some emails saying they got my app. Rather frustrating. However the only programs I've heard of offering interviews that I've applied to are SLU and Dartmouth. Still nervous though...

i know wash u is competitive...is SLU competitive? I figured they were less so since they didn't fill the past two years. Am I mistaken?

I'm in the same position. I got an interview at oklahoma over a week ago and since I have only gotten some emails saying they got my app. Rather frustrating. However the only programs I've heard of offering interviews that I've applied to are SLU and Dartmouth. Still nervous though...

I feel the same though...I applied to both SLU and OHSU and haven't heard from either even though they are sending invites

i know wash u is competitive...is SLU competitive? I figured they were less so since they didn't fill the past two years. Am I mistaken?

not filling doesn't = not competitive...it could just mean that the program was really picky with their ROL and only ranked the best of the best and didn't rank a ton of people leaving them vulnerable to not matching all spots...but who knows....

Got an invite from Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education in Jacksonville.

How did you find out they didn't fill? Is there a website for programs that didn't fill? Thanks.

I think the momentum is just starting. Look at the bright side, at least you guys have an interview. I'm still waiting for my first one, even from programs that have sent offers.

Got an invite from Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education in Jacksonville.

DAMN YOU!!! Now I have to add another one to the list of places I wish I heard back from! :scared: Congrats though.

To everyone getting interviews, are all of your LOR's in, or do you all have at least 1 anesthesia LOR in?

To everyone getting interviews, are all of your LOR's in, or do you all have at least 1 anesthesia LOR in?

SLU today too.

My application is complete (minus Dean's letter), but since I am a DO student I figured it better be. My LORs consist of 2 anesthesia, 1 critical care, and 1 medicine.

not an acknowledgement per se, but didn't see it posted on this thread: anyone get an email from mgh with info about their research scholarship?

As far as Oregon goes, I don't know much about it either, except what's on the website. I added it on my list because I thought that if I was in the area for U of Wash, why not? And the chair of anesthesia at my school said that Oregon and Utah are both very strong programs, with very good chairs, but get little credit when it comes to talking about the best programs in the country.

Someone asked about Chicago programs, too. I got an invite to Rush today. Happy I got it, but frankly it's the last of the three places in Chicago I would want to go to. I'm sure it's a good program, but also don't know much about it. As for Northwestern, I applied to it even though it doesn't have the best rep. There is some other thread on here about that program specifically, somehwere. And there is a senior resident at my instituition that transferred here from Northwestern for his last year, in part because he was miserable, and is now happy. That's just one person's experience, though.....

As far as Oregon goes, I don't know much about it either, except what's on the website. I added it on my list because I thought that if I was in the area for U of Wash, why not? And the chair of anesthesia at my school said that Oregon and Utah are both very strong programs, with very good chairs, but get little credit when it comes to talking about the best programs in the country.

Someone asked about Chicago programs, too. I got an invite to Rush today. Happy I got it, but frankly it's the last of the three places in Chicago I would want to go to. I'm sure it's a good program, but also don't know much about it. As for Northwestern, I applied to it even though it doesn't have the best rep. There is some other thread on here about that program specifically, somehwere. And there is a senior resident at my instituition that transferred here from Northwestern for his last year, in part because he was miserable, and is now happy. That's just one person's experience, though.....

*sigh* Rush is giving invites....another let down for the evening :cool:

*sigh* Rush is giving invites....another let down for the evening :cool:

DreamLover, don't worry about it too much. It's so early right now, there's plenty of time for interviews to be offered, so try not to be so down. ;)

I've gotten interviews with 2 internal medicine letters and 1 anesthesiology letter. Just got my 2nd anesthesiology letter uploaded today. Yay, no more letters to deal with!

Don't sweat, it's still early. Two programs still haven't even downloaded any of my app yet (and I submitted sept 1st).

How did you find out they didn't fill? Is there a website for programs that didn't fill? Thanks.

search the anes forum for unfilled 2006, unfilled 2005, etc. every year someone has posted the programs that didn't fill, how many slots they have and how many they got.

in 2006 it was UCSF, UCONN, Rush, Iowa, Kentucky, JHU, SLU, Nassau, Suny upstate, Med U of Ohio, VMA

DreamLover, don't worry about it too much. It's so early right now, there's plenty of time for interviews to be offered, so try not to be so down. ;)

I know I know...and I'm trying...I'm looking on the bright side...I just booked a flight today to NH for my Dartmouth interview and the hotel they're booking for us (and paying for which is so nice of them) is beautiful...so I am trying to stay positive. Thanks :)

search the anes forum for unfilled 2006, unfilled 2005, etc. every year someone has posted the programs that didn't fill, how many slots they have and how many they got.

in 2006 it was UCSF, UCONN, Rush, Iowa, Kentucky, JHU, SLU, Nassau, Suny upstate, Med U of Ohio, VMA

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I know I know...and I'm trying...I'm looking on the bright side...I just booked a flight today to NH for my Dartmouth interview and the hotel they're booking for us (and paying for which is so nice of them) is beautiful...so I am trying to stay positive. Thanks :)

Yeah, you gotta love the payment for the overnight stay and dinner for you and a loved one. :) I've heard this is not the case in other fields (ie. IM) or at least not always.

Also, no worries dreamlover, you've gotten 3 already and it is only mid-september. I'm sure they will start falling in place within the next 2 months. :)

Peace,
John

Nice work guys...

I'm sitting on 3 Preliminary interviews, no Anesthesiology invites yet :cool:

None of my letters of rec are in yet (all on their way though--i hope). I got my first 2 interviews (Oregon + a transitional program) within about 6 hours of sending in my application so I'm pretty sure some of these programs are just using board score cuts off right now and will look at the bigger picture once more is in in November. I know its easy to say but I wouldn't stress about few interviews until at least then, there's just not enough info to judge us on.

None of my letters of rec are in yet (all on their way though--i hope). I got my first 2 interviews (Oregon + a transitional program) within about 6 hours of sending in my application so I'm pretty sure some of these programs are just using board score cuts off right now and will look at the bigger picture once more is in in November. I know its easy to say but I wouldn't stress about few interviews until at least then, there's just not enough info to judge us on.

Even if I try to remain positive about my own lack of invites, it's hard not to stress knowing there are studs like you getting reflex invites based on scores. Right now I want Bob Barker to give me a chance to rearrange the three numbers of my Step1, then I'm sure they'll be calling me. ;)

Either way, congrats!

Nice work guys...

I'm sitting on 3 Preliminary interviews, no Anesthesiology invites yet :cool:

there's no rhyme or reason...I can't buy a prelim or TY invite these days...and I know that those are probably even more competitive than the anesthesia programs I'm applying to...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us

After all...it is only September... (why do I hear Green Day lyrics in my head all of the sudden? :) )

I got my first 2 interviews (Oregon + a transitional program) within about 6 hours of sending in my application so I'm pretty sure some of these programs are just using board score cuts off right now and will look at the bigger picture once more is in in November.

...and OHSU's cutoff so far is...?

Yeah, you gotta love the payment for the overnight stay and dinner for you and a loved one. :) I've heard this is not the case in other fields (ie. IM) or at least not always.

Also, no worries dreamlover, you've gotten 3 already and it is only mid-september. I'm sure they will start falling in place within the next 2 months. :)

Peace,
John

That does totally rock...

and really I am definitely happy with my invites...but these boards make it hard not to self doubt when you know programs you applied to are inviting and haven't responded to you yet...I need to limit myself to checking this once a day :)

Yea,

I wouldn't worry yet. At least not until mid October..:rolleyes: Good luck everyone !

Temple sent out an acknowledgement that they will be making interview decisions in a few weeks.

Hey,
You guys make me nervous! I only submitted everything last week and I only applied to NY programs (none of which have invited anyone for interviews, right?), so I shouldn't be worried yet... but now I'm thinking about adding 10 more programs. Has anybody been invited by NY programs? I got the acknowledgement e-mail from Sinai but that was it. I'm trying not to worry.
Ninja

Hey,

I just got the temple acknowledgement as well. University of Florida told me that they will be reviewing my application when it is complete, so I am guessing I am not a preferred applicant since they already sent out some invites based on preliminary info. I haven't heard anything from any of the NY programs yet, but I don't expect to either with my scores...at least not this early anyways. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many of these programs send invites only after the applications are complete. I mean, I feel as if my application is very strong, except for the fact that I am a DO student. I only have two letters in, not one from an anesthesia attending, although I should have one next week. Maybe we just need to get our apps completed. I guess it is a good sign that rejections arent being thrown around yet. I give it one more week before I get another invite before I get real nervous.

Hey,
You guys make me nervous! I only submitted everything last week and I only applied to NY programs (none of which have invited anyone for interviews, right?), so I shouldn't be worried yet... but now I'm thinking about adding 10 more programs. Has anybody been invited by NY programs? I got the acknowledgement e-mail from Sinai but that was it. I'm trying not to worry.
Ninja

I applied to several NY programs as well and only have the Sinai message....so don't worry...we're all still in the same boat...I really don't know where to expect to receive invites...I applied all over the place...I know it'll be hard to get west coast...especially Cali since I'm not from anywhere near there....but it didn't stop me from applying...I mean this is my only chance and afterall...it's only money, right ;)