Official 2019-2020 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waiting for LORs :/ asked for them to late. Otherwise the application is good to go

I'm IMG, EM trained back home, graduated in 2018, did pain medicine fellowship at a "top" US program, have 1 publication in a widely read pain journal, all LORS from US trained anesthesiologists (from my pain program). USMLE 219/244
I'm planning to apply to about 60 programs, both categorical and advanced (I figured that increases my chances) + about 30 prelim spots

Suggestions are more then welcome

Why didn't you apply on time and just update as LORs came in?

Members don't see this ad.

Why didn't you apply on time and just update as LORs came in?
I was thinking applying with 0 lors would just filter out my application. Tell me more

I was thinking applying with 0 lors would just filter out my application. Tell me more

General consensus I heard applying on time with an incomplete app and updating later is better than applying later with a complete app

Members don't see this ad :)
General consensus I heard applying on time with an incomplete app and updating later is better than applying later with a complete app
I would argue the opposite. Programs take weeks to comb through the huge number of applications that are received now days. An application that's incomplete gets flagged as such and a later time might or might not be reviewed. A late app might not even be noticed as late unless one checks the date of submission on it.

Last edited:
Anyone scheduled on Dec 4th or 12th at Case Western Metro Health willing to swap for a Nov spot??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Might be worth adding a tab to the application spreadsheet for this?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: 1 user
So how many interviews should I have at this point before I should start getting worried?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi y'all, so I need some advice. I received my Step 2 CK score recently and improved my score by 35-40ish points from Step 1 (to add, my Step 1 was below average). I have re-sent my scores through ERAS; however, should I sent individuals email to the programs I have applied to do with my updated score? Will they even care about my email? Any advice would be appreciated?

Hi y'all, so I need some advice. I received my Step 2 CK score recently and improved my score by 35-40ish points from Step 1 (to add, my Step 1 was below average). I have re-sent my scores through ERAS; however, should I sent individuals email to the programs I have applied to do with my updated score? Will they even care about my email? Any advice would be appreciated?
Go for it, there's not harm in getting your foot in the door. Great job on the improvement!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Img here. Still no interviews. Anyone know when I should be worried?

For my fellow visa-IMG friends: do I need to be ECFMG certified and have Step 3 results ready by ROL due date (Feb) in order to be eligible for H1B visa? I wont be able to receice my diploma until April though :( does it mean I'm only eligible for J1?

So how many interviews should I have at this point before I should start getting worried?
Depends on how’s many schools you applied to and your stats. If you applied to 60+ I would assume you’d have a handful. It’s too early to worry. Interview invites have really just begun.

Depends on how’s many schools you applied to and your stats. If you applied to 60+ I would assume you’d have a handful. It’s too early to worry. Interview invites have really just begun.
i def dont have a handful lol

What are the odds of getting an invite if the program has already given out invites?

Pretty good chance. Most of my II were not first wave invites

Anyone know anything about Lahey Clinic Anesthesia residency? Not from Boston so don’t know much about Lahey.

For programs that offer both advanced and categorical positions, I know we can rank both tracks on our rank list, assuming we applied to both in ERAS. However, can programs rank the same applicant on their categorical list and their advanced list?

Have people been getting interviews for R positions? I’m wondering if they come out later in the cycle than categorical or advanced positions

For programs that offer both advanced and categorical positions, I know we can rank both tracks on our rank list, assuming we applied to both in ERAS. However, can programs rank the same applicant on their categorical list and their advanced list?
Yes

Hi got my first interview in anesthesiology at Texas Tech . Did anyone get an IV I'm confused about the attached document their asking us to send

I haven't heard of any "R" program. It states in eras that it is a categorical spot. They offer the transition year or they call it clinical base and then the anesthesiology training

How did you know that the interview was for an R position? I’m applying for the spots as well

The program that offered me the invite has categorical, advanced, and R spots. They didn’t specify what I’m invited for but I’m counting it as an R invite.

Hey guys I'm pretty tech-challenged. How do I edit the Spreadsheet? I can find it by clicking on page 4 and scrolling to someone's post who commented it, but I can't seem to edit it...

Hey guys I'm pretty tech-challenged. How do I edit the Spreadsheet? I can find it by clicking on page 4 and scrolling to someone's post who commented it, but I can't seem to edit it...

Might be too many people logged on looking at it, I think it goes to read only at 100+

Question about ROL and matching:

-What if I matched an advanced position but NOT matched to any preliminary spots.... am I automatically withdrawn on March 20? Or am I given a chance to SOAP for a prelim spot while keeping that advanced? i.e the advanced spot NOT withdrawn until after SOAP

Thanks guys! Ya'll have been so helpful :)

Question about ROL and matching:

-What if I matched an advanced position but NOT matched to any preliminary spots.... am I automatically withdrawn on March 20? Or am I given a chance to SOAP for a prelim spot while keeping that advanced? i.e the advanced spot NOT withdrawn until after SOAP

Thanks guys! Ya'll have been so helpful :)
You soap for a prelim spot.

I'm on the spreadsheet but not everyone uses it.
I posted my stats earlier but US-IMG (greencard) from Australia 232/250/CS 1st attempt 3LOR USA, 1LOR AUS (ICU), 3 research papers.

7 anesthesiology (1 combo peds/ane)
5 prelim surg
3 TY

I got a mix of amazing BIDMC, hopkins, mid-tier and new programs, but all are academic university programs for anesthesiology and surg. the TY programs are community.

I don't write this to make people that haven't gotten interviews nervous (they will come), but for people that were in my position last year looking all the time at the forum.

Good stuff will come to everyone its still very much early days.

Based on my response so far, i'd say its 100% about personal statement and LORs. I can't emphasize enough having at least 10 different anesthesiologists from academic programs to look at your Personal statement and doing tons of revisions.

The other thing is i applied for all 147 programs, every TY program, and alot of prelim surg.

Good Luck everyone, last year most people didn't hear anything until late Oct.

I'm on the spreadsheet but not everyone uses it.
I posted my stats earlier but US-IMG (greencard) from Australia 232/250/CS 1st attempt 3LOR USA, 1LOR AUS (ICU), 3 research papers.

7 anesthesiology (1 combo peds/ane)
5 prelim surg
3 TY

I got a mix of amazing BIDMC, hopkins, mid-tier and new programs, but all are academic university programs for anesthesiology and surg. the TY programs are community.

I don't write this to make people that haven't gotten interviews nervous (they will come), but for people that were in my position last year looking all the time at the forum.

Good stuff will come to everyone its still very much early days.

Based on my response so far, i'd say its 100% about personal statement and LORs. I can't emphasize enough having at least 10 different anesthesiologists from academic programs to look at your Personal statement and doing tons of revisions.

The other thing is i applied for all 147 programs, every TY program, and alot of prelim surg.

Good Luck everyone, last year most people didn't hear anything until late Oct.
Keep in mind this is for IMGs ^ US MDs should probably not apply to every program in the country.

I have been creeping this page for a while now. I have a few questions and would appreciate some feedback/advice. Thanks in advance!

My stats:
Step 1: 219, Step 2 CK pending, Step 2 CS pending. In regards to class rank, I am in the bottom 10% of my class. Overall had very good MSPE comments and strong letters of recommendation (2 anesthesia, 1 critical care, and 1 primary care). I go to a mid-level US medical school. Of note, I did have to repeat a pre-clinical course and this is on my MSPE.

I applied to 111 anesthesia programs and 19 preliminary medicine programs. So far I have 4 categorical interviews (2 mid-level, and 2 lower-level type institutions) and no preliminary medicine interviews. I applied to a wide range of programs but did not apply to any of the elite programs. I know everyone says not freak out cause it's early in the season but I'm freaking out. Should I add more programs, especially preliminary year programs? Do programs look down on applicants who apply to their program this late?

How do people feel about doing an away rotation in January for a program that has not extended an interview? Is this too late to make a difference?

I have been creeping this page for a while now. I have a few questions and would appreciate some feedback/advice. Thanks in advance!

My stats:
Step 1: 219, Step 2 CK pending, Step 2 CS pending. In regards to class rank, I am in the bottom 10% of my class. Overall had very good MSPE comments and strong letters of recommendation (2 anesthesia, 1 critical care, and 1 primary care). I go to a mid-level US medical school. Of note, I did have to repeat a pre-clinical course and this is on my MSPE.

I applied to 111 anesthesia programs and 19 preliminary medicine programs. So far I have 4 categorical interviews (2 mid-level, and 2 lower-level type institutions) and no preliminary medicine interviews. I applied to a wide range of programs but did not apply to any of the elite programs. I know everyone says not freak out cause it's early in the season but I'm freaking out. Should I add more programs, especially preliminary year programs? Do programs look down on applicants who apply to their program this late?

How do people feel about doing an away rotation in January for a program that has not extended an interview? Is this too late to make a difference?

That's quite a lot of programs, so I don't think adding more programs will necessarily improve your chances. You might try reaching out to a few programs (PDs) directly via e-mail and imploring them to look over your application. You may gain a few additional interviews this way. I would concentrate on programs that are within reach considering your stats and mention something unique that draws you to the program (family in the area, a mentor that trained there, etc.). Also mention that you are so interested in your program that you would be happy to take a waitlist position and/or are able to travel on short notice if there's a last minute cancelation. Find a way to say these things without sounding desperate.

Some programs have firm cutoffs for things like Step 1, so you may have been filtered out of the first phase this way. Our program only downloads applicants with Step 1 > 220. For this cycle, that means that we didn't even look at > 500 applications because they were below this cut off.

I'm slightly worried about where I am at in terms of interviews and am looking for some guidance. I got 4 interviews before October 1 but have only gotten 1 since then (currently waitlisted on that one). I don't know if this lull in invites is normal or if I should be more concerned. Any advice?

For what its worth, I'm USMD, step 1 and 2 both high 240s, no red flags that I am aware of. Thanks!

Honestly, I feel like this whole process is very unpredictable. My Step scores are not as high as yours, and I am USMD. They have just been trickling in for me. I am up to 7, and it has been grueling. Keep hoping, maybe send LOI to your top places. I don’t think everywhere is done, but I do think some places are. I would definitely at least try LOI or something.

Honestly, I feel like this whole process is very unpredictable. My Step scores are not as high as yours, and I am USMD. They have just been trickling in for me. I am up to 7, and it has been grueling. Keep hoping, maybe send LOI to your top places. I don’t think everywhere is done, but I do think some places are. I would definitely at least try LOI or something.
Thanks for the help. Good luck and congrats on 7 so far. Wasn't sure if it is too early for an LOI or not but I'll give it a shot