Official 2019-2020 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's quite a lot of programs, so I don't think adding more programs will necessarily improve your chances. You might try reaching out to a few programs (PDs) directly via e-mail and imploring them to look over your application. You may gain a few additional interviews this way. I would concentrate on programs that are within reach considering your stats and mention something unique that draws you to the program (family in the area, a mentor that trained there, etc.). Also mention that you are so interested in your program that you would be happy to take a waitlist position and/or are able to travel on short notice if there's a last minute cancelation. Find a way to say these things without sounding desperate.

Some programs have firm cutoffs for things like Step 1, so you may have been filtered out of the first phase this way. Our program only downloads applicants with Step 1 > 220. For this cycle, that means that we didn't even look at > 500 applications because they were below this cut off.

Thank you for the response! Do you recommend LOI or calling the programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I feel like this whole process is very unpredictable. My Step scores are not as high as yours, and I am USMD. They have just been trickling in for me. I am up to 7, and it has been grueling. Keep hoping, maybe send LOI to your top places. I don’t think everywhere is done, but I do think some places are. I would definitely at least try LOI or something.

You think some places are done? Based on what? It’s October. I would be shocked if any program is “done” offering interviews. People end up cancelling and more are offered.

I think i interviewed in like February at the program i ended up matching at back in the day. Its better for your sanity if you just assume you’re waitlisted if you haven’t been flat out rejected.

Reactions: 7 users
@SnapperRocks that actually makes me feel much better for one. I'm in a similar situation to Kittykat

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You think some places are done? Based on what? It’s October. I would be shocked if any program is “done” offering interviews. People end up cancelling and more are offered.

I think i interviewed in like February at the program i ended up matching at back in the day. Its better for your sanity if you just assume you’re waitlisted if you haven’t been flat out rejected.

What I meant was first pass. Some places seem to basically send them all out at once. But if there are cancellations or something, then they will send out more. Like Loma Linda for example.

Anyone familiar with NYMC Metro program?

Thank you for the response! Do you recommend LOI or calling the programs?

I would write a letter. I fired off two letters to programs that I knew I had the stats for but figured I didn't get an invite because it was on the other side of the country. Both programs told me they were full but would consider me for cancelations. I ended up getting interviews at both.

Edit: And one of those programs ended up sending me a ranked-to-match letter. The point: a lot of weird **** gets factored in to who gets interviews and who doesn't. Some programs have high regional preferences bc they don't believe that someone from a desirable location would want to come live in their part of the country. Therefore, they might not offer interviews to competitive applicants without ties to the area (which was the case with me).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would write a letter. I fired off two letters to programs that I knew I had the stats for but figured I didn't get an invite because it was on the other side of the country. Both programs told me they were full but would consider me for cancelations. I ended up getting interviews at both.

Edit: And one of those programs ended up sending me a ranked-to-match letter. The point: a lot of weird **** gets factored in to who gets interviews and who doesn't. Some programs have high regional preferences bc they don't believe that someone from a desirable location would want to come live in their part of the country. Therefore, they might not offer interviews to competitive applicants without ties to the area (which was the case with me).
I review applications for my residency program and this is 100% true. Depends on the program. A top 10 program might interview applicants from across the country, but otherwise a program has to be selective in who they interview. All the applications tend to start to look the same, so expressing genuine interest and have a reason for applying to a program can be a factor.

Reactions: 4 users
I review applications for my residency program and this is 100% true. Depends on the program. A top 10 program might interview applicants from across the country, but otherwise a program has to be selective in who they interview. All the applications tend to start to look the same, so expressing genuine interest and have a reason for applying to a program can be a factor.
Would you recommend sending an email to program directors or coordinators?

Anyone with a UT San Antonio interview willing to trade? My date is 11/20, and that is super hard due to having an interview the next day at my top place. I am looking for something in December/January, or possibly a different November date! Message me if you want to trade!

Members don't see this ad :)
After a three week dry spell, I got a preliminary medicine waitlist at a midwest program! Not an anesthesia invite or even a full prelim invite but a good sign! Keep your heads up guys, the interviews are coming!

Hey guys I have a concerning question. Not sure where to put this question--
So I am scheduled for an interview at a brand new program very very soon. I heard from a mid-tier program TODAY about an interview and the only day they have available is that day I had scheduled for for the new program. The "freeze date" on eras is over. What should i do? I still want to interview at this new program as well. What should I email the PC to let them know I cannot make my original date but would still love another interview date (that is currently open on ERAS)

Hey guys I have a concerning question. Not sure where to put this question--
So I am scheduled for an interview at a brand new program very very soon. I heard from a mid-tier program TODAY about an interview and the only day they have available is that day I had scheduled for for the new program. The "freeze date" on eras is over. What should i do? I still want to interview at this new program as well. What should I email the PC to let them know I cannot make my original date but would still love another interview date (that is currently open on ERAS)
Imo you call the program that just scheduled you, you tell them you have another interview that day and ask if they have any other place to put you because you REALLY want to go. If you're willing to cancel the other interview to go, tell them that but explain that you'd prefer not to.

@abolt18 Thanks so much for the response!
I was thankfully able to reschedule for the new program as well as take the mid-tier interview.

On another note I'm a little sad the SDN thread is not as active as last year :(
Is it possible for someone to send me a Discord invite so I can join in the fun and commiseration (haha)

Thoughts on a chairman from the department, saying if you rank as #1 i can guarentee you'll be coming here?

It felt genuine.

Thoughts on a chairman from the department, saying if you rank as #1 i can guarentee you'll be coming here?

It felt genuine.

Never count on it. Programs lie. Don't change your own rank list based on what programs say. Rank based on your own preferences.

Reactions: 11 users

It felt genuine.

If that is true and you rank them number 5 and you don’t match to any of the first 4 programs on your rank list, you are still guaranteed to match there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

It felt genuine.

Watch the ERAS video that explains how the match works. Rank programs based on your personal preference, not because a program say they will rank you highly. Also if you've read SDN in past years you would find program directors lie about statement like this ALL THE TIME.

It felt genuine.
I would rank them dead last just for him being a lying scumbag trying to protect his own program's stats and match probabilities.

Lots of strong thoughts. I asked the other candidates and he didn't say that to anyone else.

Lots of strong thoughts. I asked the other candidates and he didn't say that to anyone else.
If anything, think of it as a safety. If you rank the program last, you'd have to not match at any of your previously ranked places and then you can still match there.

OR

just dont really take any of this into consideration and rank based off of your own preferences

It has no effect on you — if he’s ranking you to match that’s great but it changes nothing about your chances at any other program. You could put this program 50th on your rank list and still match there if none of the others ranked you high enough. There is absolutely no reason I can see to alter your rank list based on this information, but if someone else has an idea to the contrary I would really like to hear those thoughts.

So...whats with the massive disparity between this year’s thread vs last year’s thread? By this time last year there were 30 pages of discussion. Things aren’t getting less competitive either so its not adding up. Anyone care to chime in?

I think the discord this year is more popular. Easier to talk anonymously and less trolls than here or the spreadsheet.

Can somebody send me the invitation for the discord? Thanks!

Could I also get a discord invite ?

Can I please get the discord link as well please?

I think the discord this year is more popular. Easier to talk anonymously and less trolls than here or the spreadsheet.
Only downside is that with all conversation happening elsewhere, you lose the opportunity for the many anesthesia residents and attendings to chime in and answer questions.

In regards to the number of interviews needed to match should I count the interviews I get on audition rotations. I have lower step scores and its hard to tell if programs are truly interested or if they just interview all of their auditioners. I have 3 normal IV plus an extra 4 from places I auditioned. Im in a US med school.

In regards to the number of interviews needed to match should I count the interviews I get on audition rotations. I have lower step scores and its hard to tell if programs are truly interested or if they just interview all of their auditioners. I have 3 normal IV plus an extra 4 from places I auditioned. Im in a US med school.

You have 7 interviews. You have a shot at all those programs. All of them count!