October 17 PCAT results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hookem22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I 've been following this forum for quite some time now but I finally decided to make it official and join. I was sent an unofficial score report. I wasn't expecting to see my scores so soon. Here is the stats

Writing scores: Convention of Language Score 3.0 and mean 2.78; Problem Solving Score 3.0 and mean 2.80
Verbal Ability: 86
Biology: 84
Reading Comprehension: 28
Quantitative Ability: 91
Chemistry: 77
Composite: 80

I am very shocked and very happy. I have a very difficult time with standardize test so this is amazing for me. This is my second time taking the PCAT. The first time I didnt prepare well and ended up no scoring it. I was just hoping for a 70 so this a pleasant surprise. And I thought I bombed the math part ...strange it was my highest score. I dont understand my writing scores. Can anyone help me out? It had a number for score and mean...which one is my real score? Im also surprised about my reading comprehension score because I thought that would be my highest score. That's my strongest subject...very confused. For the amount of studying I did, Im satisfied. I studied for 2 months.Thank you Dr. Collins. I recommend that to everyone! Dont just memorize the answer but really study it and learn why the wrong answers are wrong because the PCAT tries to trick you. How did everyone else do? I hope well!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it is also a standardized test so it should be graded in a similar way regarding the percentile. you can have a 100 percentile in one of the sections or more but on the pcat you can't. :confused:

Because ... tests are scored differently? Two different tests, made by 2 different groups, for 2 different purposes.

http://psychcorp.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_Scoring_FAQs.pdf

Percentile ranks (PR) range from 1 to 99 and indicate a candidate's
performance relative to the current PCAT norm group (all first-time
examinees from October 2004 through May 2007).

How did you study for the sections. What did you use.
I really think practice is key. Practice solving problems within the allotted time.

For verbal, I simply studied some vocabulary. I knew from SATs the way to "solve" those problems, but it always helps to brush up on those with the GREs or SATs - although be advised that the test writers of the PCAT like to get a little .... creative, shall we say? This includes analogy questions based on your geography knowledge (which in my opinion is ridiculous and unfair) as well as some stranger questions including rhymes and homonyms that I've never seen before in other analogies from other tests. Those "strategies" that all test preps preach have never helped me - last time I took the PCAT (I took it 2 times total), I got a 75 in verbal, so my vocab studying helped a tiiny bit.

For biology, just review your notes from classes. I have Dr. Collins and I don't think it helped me much in bio - it tended to be a bit too broad, not enough detail. I think what helped me the most was the Examkrackers Audio Osmisis Biology. It does a good job covering (overcovering, in fact) the biology section, but you're much better off over preparing than under-preparing. I also checked out Kaplan which was a decent review but still lacking a bit in some sections.

Reading comprehension, eh, I dunno, it helps to read a lot. I've loved reading since I was a child, and I didn't do anything to study for this section, besides reading for pleasure on the side. Make sure you understand what you're reading, improve your reading speed, but try not to skim. I think skimming makes you miss important and subtle details that the test makers ask you about. Try to find out what works best for you - reading the passage first and then answering the questions or looking through the questions first then reading the passage for answers.

Quantitative ... well, my mom is a math tutor. She didn't do anything for me for the exam, but she has instilled in me very good math strategies when I was in middle school and high school. The one she preaches the most is practice. Do ALL the problems in your textbook/review book. ALL of them, including the examples. Cover the example solutions, solve them, then check your answers. After you solve 3-4 and you feel like you understand, don't stop, cuz many people do. Solve them all. Then solve them all again. "I think I understand" isn't enough. When it comes down to taking the exam, you might forget, you might stumble you might ... whatever! Doing it so many times makes it all a habit. You won't question yourself, wait, is this the right equation? You will just KNOW it. I did little studying for the math too... I just reviewed some trig functions that I was rusty on. This is cuz I retained all my math from middle and high school... thanks to my lovely mom. I hated her teaching methods then, but I must say, they are effective. :laugh:

Chemistry was my weakest subject, and that's cuz I dislike basic chem. I just reviewed a textbook and Dr. Collins. I also reviewed Schaum's general and organic chemistry book. I also used the Examkrackers 1001 questions in Chemistry. They were pretty helpful. The questions were harder than what you'd find on PCAT. You just gotta know the concepts and know how to calculate. Practice the problems, limiting yourself on time.

In short, practice practice practice! Practice under conditions similar to exam settings - ie. NEVER use a calculator, even on practice or example questions.

Because ... tests are scored differently? Two different tests, made by 2 different groups, for 2 different purposes.

http://psychcorp.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_Scoring_FAQs.pdf

Percentile ranks (PR) range from 1 to 99 and indicate a candidate’s
performance relative to the current PCAT norm group (all first-time
examinees from October 2004 through May 2007).

I really think practice is key. Practice solving problems within the allotted time.

For verbal, I simply studied some vocabulary. I knew from SATs the way to "solve" those problems, but it always helps to brush up on those with the GREs or SATs - although be advised that the test writers of the PCAT like to get a little .... creative, shall we say? This includes analogy questions based on your geography knowledge (which in my opinion is ridiculous and unfair) as well as some stranger questions including rhymes and homonyms that I've never seen before in other analogies from other tests. Those "strategies" that all test preps preach have never helped me - last time I took the PCAT (I took it 2 times total), I got a 75 in verbal, so my vocab studying helped a tiiny bit.

For biology, just review your notes from classes. I have Dr. Collins and I don't think it helped me much in bio - it tended to be a bit too broad, not enough detail. I think what helped me the most was the Examkrackers Audio Osmisis Biology. It does a good job covering (overcovering, in fact) the biology section, but you're much better off over preparing than under-preparing. I also checked out Kaplan which was a decent review but still lacking a bit in some sections.

Reading comprehension, eh, I dunno, it helps to read a lot. I've loved reading since I was a child, and I didn't do anything to study for this section, besides reading for pleasure on the side. Make sure you understand what you're reading, improve your reading speed, but try not to skim. I think skimming makes you miss important and subtle details that the test makers ask you about. Try to find out what works best for you - reading the passage first and then answering the questions or looking through the questions first then reading the passage for answers.

Quantitative ... well, my mom is a math tutor. She didn't do anything for me for the exam, but she has instilled in me very good math strategies when I was in middle school and high school. The one she preaches the most is practice. Do ALL the problems in your textbook/review book. ALL of them, including the examples. Cover the example solutions, solve them, then check your answers. After you solve 3-4 and you feel like you understand, don't stop, cuz many people do. Solve them all. Then solve them all again. "I think I understand" isn't enough. When it comes down to taking the exam, you might forget, you might stumble you might ... whatever! Doing it so many times makes it all a habit. You won't question yourself, wait, is this the right equation? You will just KNOW it. I did little studying for the math too... I just reviewed some trig functions that I was rusty on. This is cuz I retained all my math from middle and high school... thanks to my lovely mom. I hated her teaching methods then, but I must say, they are effective. :laugh:

Chemistry was my weakest subject, and that's cuz I dislike basic chem. I just reviewed a textbook and Dr. Collins. I also reviewed Schaum's general and organic chemistry book. I also used the Examkrackers 1001 questions in Chemistry. They were pretty helpful. The questions were harder than what you'd find on PCAT. You just gotta know the concepts and know how to calculate. Practice the problems, limiting yourself on time.

In short, practice practice practice! Practice under conditions similar to exam settings - ie. NEVER use a calculator, even on practice or example questions.
:laugh::laugh: thats funny about your mom
i bet she use to drive you nuts! its always funny when you get older and realize they were doin whats best for you.
Ok so I am going to definitely practice evey freakin problem i come across! Your right b/c most of the math problems i was aware of the concept and how to go about solving it but it was just one little thing about the problems that was different from all the others i practiced.
Im gonna get some SAT flash cards and review them and try to learn some strategies, not much else I can do b.c I dont have a good vocab foundation. The main thing i need to do also is practice under timed conditions ! ugh lol
but thanks so much..it makes me feel better talking to you guys cuz your the only ones that understand :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the pcats in august and was pretty upset with my 64 composite but i took it again in october and got an 82.

Verbal: 78
Biology: 76
Reading: 68
Quantitative Ability: 85
Chemistry: 77
Composite: 82

I am applying to West Virginia University. Do you think these scores will be competitive enough??

Well got my score on Sat, and was super relieved. Too lazy to post my scores but I got a 91% composite. So glad I don't have to relive the nightmare.

Hi everybody, I've been following this forum for quite some time. I took the PCAT last Oct and just received my score on Sat.
VA 27
Bio 88
RC 50
QA 98
Chem 99
Comp 91
WC 3/3
I know I bombed the VA and RC. So what do you guys think about my score. I am extremely happy, taking in to consider that Eng is not my 1st language. I'm VNese.
Thanks and congratz everybody, we worked hard and we got what we deserve

has anyone not received their pcat scores for OCt 17 yet? I have not gotten them in the mail, but it seems like everyone else has. Should I call pearson?

has anyone not received their pcat scores for OCt 17 yet? I have not gotten them in the mail, but it seems like everyone else has. Should I call pearson?

Most likely, you'll receive your PCAT scores this week. Or, if you cant wait, pay the $2O.

@kimbebe: I live in Des Moines, IA. I think the mail came pretty early. I thought I would com some time this week but i was in the mail box last Sat

My first time taking PCAT! Thought I did absolutely horrible! Almost had a heart attack opening the letter, dropped twice or thrice!
Verbal 413 -- 69 (English is my second language)
Biolody 396 -- 40 (Damn it!)
RC 406 -- 55
QA 430 -- 85
Chem 430 -- 85 (Surprise)
Comp 415 -- 73

Will have to re- take if don't get in this time around.
Hopefully - won't have to!
Yay!

My first time taking PCAT! Thought I did absolutely horrible! Almost had a heart attack opening the letter, dropped twice or thrice!
Verbal 413 -- 69 (English is my second language)
Biolody 396 -- 40 (Damn it!)
RC 406 -- 55
QA 430 -- 85
Chem 430 -- 85 (Surprise)
Comp 415 -- 73

Will have to re- take if don't get in this time around.
Hopefully - won't have to!
Yay!

Congrats!!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal Ability - 89
Biology - 17 :confused:
Reading Comp - 68
Quant - 55
Chemistry- 64
Composite- 64

Conventions - 3.5
Problem Solving - 3.5

I bombed the Biology section, but I was 1/3 of the way through micro-bio, and the only other bio's I've had are zoology and before that high-school bio. Next semester I'm going to knock out anatomy and also physiology, but that fact didn't help me on a test I took before taking them lol.

Think ad-com can reconcile my lousy bio? Last fall the university pcat average composites I'm applying to were 66 and 69 so I'm not that far off the mark, especially considering I bombed one section.

august pcat
verbal 89
bio 99
reading 79
quantitative 64
chem 93
writing 3/3
94 composite

october pcat
verbal 89
bio 96
reading 93
quantitative 81
chem 81
writing 3/3
94 composite

kind of disappointed about my chem score dropping, but i did raise my math score and my composite is still the same.

I'm really confused on my score, what does this exactly mean

391 26%

I should retake it?

Got my results today! Very excited because the first time around I got a 73%. i recommend Collins PCAT prep for sure, it was a god-send!

Verbal: 86
Biology: 90
Reading Comp: 99
Quant: 88
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 97!!!!!!!!!!

Second time taking:

Received 45 Composite June 2008

After much studying esp chemistry:

Received 71 Composite Oct 2009

Verbal 45
Biology 76
Reading Comprehension 68
Quantitative Ability 55
Chemistry 85
Composite 71

I just got the letter and I live in Canada.

I am also very happy as this is my first time taking it:

Verbal Ability: 65
Biology: 80
Reading Comp: 75
Quantitative Ability: 88
Chemistry: 93
COMPOSITE: 87 :D

Writing: 3/3

I just got my PCAT score. But first I want to wholeheartedly thank the community here. Without your advice and insight I may not have even made the decision to change careers and join pharmacy. And I know for sure this forum has greatly helped my PCAT scores. So never ever say you are too old or too tied down to do what you really want to do in life.

For my first and only PCAT...

Verbal Ability: 97
Biology: 98
Reading Comp: 80 (LOL, I'll probably be arguing over the answers)
Quantitative Ability: 99
Chemistry: 98

Composite: 99 :p

Writing: 3/3

Not bad for someone who never took college chemistry or org. chem and scrambled to learn Calc 2 weeks before the exam. ;)

Thanks again everyone!!!

I patiently waited for my scores in the mail and saved myself 20 bucks. Here goes, in August I got a measly 43 composite, this time around I received a 74 composite. I'm pretty excited right now..I believe its a very good improvement

August October
VA 35 VA 69
Bio 29 Bio 90
RC 37 RC 28 (not sure how I did worse)
QA 54 QA 74
Chem 72 Chem 81
Com 43 Com 74

august pcat
verbal 89
bio 99
reading 79
quantitative 64
chem 93
writing 3/3
94 composite

october pcat
verbal 89
bio 96
reading 93
quantitative 81
chem 81
writing 3/3
94 composite

kind of disappointed about my chem score dropping, but i did raise my math score and my composite is still the same.

Interesting. What I'd give for a better quant score :(

Interesting. What I'd give for a better quant score :(

For me, the quant section is not about what you know, but how you spend your time. If given an infinite amount of time, the quant section is really easy (content wise anyway) - there isn't much calculus beyond very basics. I improved because I made sure to only answer the questions I could see I could answer quckly. If there was one that I thought would take longer, I skipped it and came back to it - that way I didn't have a lot of blank questions. However, I did the same thing on chem and my score dropped :laugh:

This was my first time taking the test. I went in cold turkey just to see what it was like. Since my GPA is around a 3.10 I will be studying and taking it again in Jan. Any advise on how to study or w/e is very much welcomed!

VA 40
Bio 66
RC 68
QA 39
Chm 68

Comp 58

Writing 3/3

Finally got my scores! Of course, this was the day the mail ran late, heh.

Verbal: 89%
Biology: 90%
Reading Comp: 80%
Quant: 78%
Chemistry: 81%
Composite: 89%

Writing 3/3

This was my first time taking the PCAT too! Overall I'm pretty pleased.
Since this was my first time though, I still don't have a good feel on what a "good" score is. Are my scores competitive?

Finally got my scores! Of course, this was the day the mail ran late, heh.

Verbal: 89%
Biology: 90%
Reading Comp: 80%
Quant: 78%
Chemistry: 81%
Composite: 89%

Writing 3/3

This was my first time taking the PCAT too! Overall I'm pretty pleased.
Since this was my first time though, I still don't have a good feel on what a "good" score is. Are my scores competitive?

Your scores are very good. Nice work.

GAH! I live in Houston and my pharmacy schools got my scores today, and I still haven't!! :mad: I am actually in Louisiana right now for thanksgiving and wedding planning, so I prob won't get to see them until next Sunday! GAHH! I guess I've waited this long, I can wait a few more days...who knows it might ruin my thanksgiving. lol

Good luck everyone!

Aug
VA- 27 :(
Bio - 54
RC - 42
Quan A - 88
Chem - 68
Comp - 60

Oct
VA - 55
Bio - 66
RC - 32 :(
Quan A - 99 :)
Chem - 81
Comp - 80

Wow so excited about my score!!!! raised 20%. I feel like I studied way more for the first exam because i studied like whole summer for it. But since Aug. was the first one, I was nervous and running out of time in sections. For Oct. I wanted to study for pcat but my school work was busy and couldn't study. But I did practice doing everything on time, and memorized the key points that I didn't get on the last exam. Wow that 99 on my Quant gave me boost up in my composite. Now I don't have to worry about not having the minimum pcat scores for pharm schools to apply. :)

good luck to everyone~

Huge improvement for me as well!

August - 45% composite
verbal - 44
biology- 75
chem - 62
rc - 26
quant - about 20

October - 82% composite
verbal 69
bio 88
chem 91
rc 43
quant 78

The verbal and especially rc are disappointing, but English is not my first language. Overall, I'm very happy. Many thanks to Dr. Collins!!!!

Last edited:
hey guys, what do you think about my scores?

I took the June PCAT, and I got 26%. I didn't study at all for that one.

I got 62% in my OCT PCAT:

verbal ability 9% , English is not my native language
biology= 88%
reading comprehension = 16% , they weren't difficult; I analyze too much , hate that about myself!!!
quantitative ability = 88%
chemistry = 85%
composite = 62%

my convention of language is 3.0 and the mean is 2.78
my problem solving is 3.o and the mean is 2.80

my GPA is 4.0 . what do you guys think? Will I be eligible for pharm admission interview?

I am planning on taking it again in January. I am kinda happy with only 62% because that's a huge jump -- from 26 to 62, but still I have to take it again. At least, I have hope that I may have somewhere in 70s in January PCAT.

Thanks in advance, and appreciate your feedback! =)

Last edited:
June 09
Verbal 51
Biology 49
RC 85
Quant 43
Chem 19
Comp 49

October 09
Verbal 86
Biology 80
RC 68
Quant 65
Chem 91
Comp 84

Just studied Dr. Collins about a month before the pcat. I am very pleased and would recommend his study guide to anyone.

Hey gang,
This is my first time posting.I have not gotten my scores in the mail either and it sucks waiting. I dont want to pay those mo'fos $20 to get my scores. I was abou to call pearson but i know they will tell me to still wait. If i dont get it tomorrow, i will be pissed!!

Well I knew I was gonna bomb this test. I got a composite score of 71%. Not my worst problem as I have to retake Biology I and II because the ones I took at the time will not meet the pre-pharm requirements....Seems like I will have to hold out for another year since I will not be able to fit all this within Spring and Summer. :mad:

Hey gang,
This is my first time posting.I have not gotten my scores in the mail either and it sucks waiting. I dont want to pay those mo'fos $20 to get my scores. I was abou to call pearson but i know they will tell me to still wait. If i dont get it tomorrow, i will be pissed!!

Is your postal system normally slow? I know the system in my area is really fast so if I hadn't gotten it in the first few days, I would probably think there's something wrong. If on the other hand your post office is USUALLY slow, wait out till the end of the week, then give Pearson's a call. I agree, do not pay the money!

just a quick question: i already took both pearson practice tests. Are they gonna make new ones again for Jan PCAT or that's it for now?

Here's my result.

Verbal: 401 50%
Biology: 447 96%
Reading: 382 19%
Quanti: 460 98%
Chem: 505 99%
Composite : 439 96%

Writing
Conven: 2.5
Prob solv: 3.0

happy thanksgiving

Last edited:
Yay!!! I got my scores online this morning! I am super happy, this was my first time taking it! I am so relieved that I don't have to take it again =]

Verbal: 99
Biology: 88
Reading:93
Math: 98
Chem: 93
Composite: 98

Writing: 3,3

=]
\

Hey.. Congratulations.... excellent score.... suggest me with preparation tips and the materials used..I wish you should get admission your dream university...

Is your postal system normally slow? I know the system in my area is really fast so if I hadn't gotten it in the first few days, I would probably think there's something wrong. If on the other hand your post office is USUALLY slow, wait out till the end of the week, then give Pearson's a call. I agree, do not pay the money!

Hey,
My post office is normally active everyday. For the last three days, i have checked the mail and there is always something in there. Im pissed that i have not gotten the results. Its ridiculous!!!!
icon8.gif

English is my second language and this was my first time taking it... no excuse though

Verbal: 22
Biology: 94
Reading: 13
Quant: 97
Chem: 96

Composite: 81

Maybe next time..

English is my second language and this was my first time taking it... no excuse though

Verbal: 22
Biology: 94
Reading: 13
Quant: 97
Chem: 96

Composite: 81

Maybe next time..

Are you kidding?!?! 81 is very good.

yo sup bros i just git mah score bak and I wus stunned baby:

Verbal: 70
Biology: 97
Reading:99