October 17 PCAT results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hookem22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I 've been following this forum for quite some time now but I finally decided to make it official and join. I was sent an unofficial score report. I wasn't expecting to see my scores so soon. Here is the stats

Writing scores: Convention of Language Score 3.0 and mean 2.78; Problem Solving Score 3.0 and mean 2.80
Verbal Ability: 86
Biology: 84
Reading Comprehension: 28
Quantitative Ability: 91
Chemistry: 77
Composite: 80

I am very shocked and very happy. I have a very difficult time with standardize test so this is amazing for me. This is my second time taking the PCAT. The first time I didnt prepare well and ended up no scoring it. I was just hoping for a 70 so this a pleasant surprise. And I thought I bombed the math part ...strange it was my highest score. I dont understand my writing scores. Can anyone help me out? It had a number for score and mean...which one is my real score? Im also surprised about my reading comprehension score because I thought that would be my highest score. That's my strongest subject...very confused. For the amount of studying I did, Im satisfied. I studied for 2 months.Thank you Dr. Collins. I recommend that to everyone! Dont just memorize the answer but really study it and learn why the wrong answers are wrong because the PCAT tries to trick you. How did everyone else do? I hope well!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
June 09
Verbal 61
Bio 80
RC 85
Quant 54
Chem 68
Comp 74

Oct 09
Verbal 82
Bio 94
RC 93
Quant 20
Chem 81
Comp 84

I really believe that I skipped a bubble or something on my quant section because I was a lot more prepared this time than last time. Any way about it, this is the last time. :)

Verbal Ability 407 - 60
Biology 401 - 49
Reading Comprehension 406 - 55
Quantitative Ability 430 - 85
Chemistry 430 - 85
Composite 415 - 73

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

Should I retake? I'm on the fence... I plan on applying for fall 2011, so I still have a lot of time which is a plus?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
:idea:I live in Puerto Rico. Does anyone have ANY IDEA when the results might get to me...Im so anxious...I'm thinking about paying the $20.:scared:

Pearson can kiss my A**.....I'm not paying them another dime. Come on people, they trap you into having to either sign up early for the October test before you get the august ones back, and then if you cancel you don't even get all your money back...I hate Pearson. Think about it, we paid $150 to take the test, now they want us to pay extra just to get our scores??? Screw that.....STAY STRONG PEOPLE...haha. You will have your scores in a few days or after the weekend. Knowing your score early won't change them anyways...I'm holding out thats for sure

Pearson can kiss my A**.....I'm not paying them another dime. Come on people, they trap you into having to either sign up early for the October test before you get the august ones back, and then if you cancel you don't even get all your money back...I hate Pearson. Think about it, we paid $150 to take the test, now they want us to pay extra just to get our scores??? Screw that.....STAY STRONG PEOPLE...haha. You will have your scores in a few days or after the weekend. Knowing your score early won't change them anyways...I'm holding out thats for sure

Cheap.

JK :smuggrin:

Whew, I was honestly considering slamming a beer before I read my scores this morning (purchased them online for $20 btw, havent received them in the mail).

Verbal: 89
Biology: 90
Quantative: 65
Reading Comp: 80
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 88

Extremely happy with my scores. The math section shook me up pretty good. I am thinking about writing the prep test companies (I purchased 4 different texts) regarding their math prep. I feel I could have had a much higher score if I was properly imformed about what was going to be on the exam.

Question regarding the writing: are the scores out of 3 or 5?

Whew, I was honestly considering slamming a beer before I read my scores this morning (purchased them online for $20 btw, havent received them in the mail).

Extremely happy with my scores. The math section shook me up pretty good. I am thinking about writing the prep test companies (I purchased 4 different texts) regarding their math prep. I feel I could have had a much higher score if I was properly imformed about what was going to be on the exam.

Congrats!

I completely agree!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

They are out of 5. 3 is a pretty standard score. The bridge to a 4 is a lot bigger than the bridge between a 2 and 3.

Verbal Ability- 89
Biology- 80
Reading Comp- 80
Quant- 81
Chemistry- 93
Composite- 90:love:

I am very happy with my scores! I was praying for a score in the 90s, but expected 80s.

Also, I got a 3.0 on both areas of the writing

Last edited:
Oct 09 (first and only time)

Verbal - 92
Biology - 90
RC - 75
Quant - 85
Chem - 88

Composite = 92!! :D

Writing 3/3

I was surprised with three sections:

Reading comprehension: I honestly thought i destroyed this section! I finished with 6 minutes left?? I have good verbal skills! Only 75???

Quant: Thought i bombed it. Bubbled in 6 questions randomly and 4 total guesses. 85 is awesome.

Writing: Thought i wrote two amazing essays. I guess it really is almost impossible to get a 4+ lol.

(BTW I studied for 8 days before the test using Dr. Collins Notes!)

Guys, thanks for all the advice and support along the way. I know I just joined SDN right now but i've been a loyal reader for a long time lol.

UF here i come!!!! :cool:

Verbal - 69
Biology - 76
RC - 43 :oops:
Quant - 81
Chem - 95

Comp. 82

I myself am stoked with my scores considering that I took the June PCAT with a 41 composite!! Dr. Collins is amazing. My verbal jumped from a 13 to a 69, don't laugh, I've always struggled on verbal tests. I know these are not the greatest scores but I think they are pretty good coming from a guy at a community college! To anyone who has any insight about Lipscomb U., do you think these scores are good enough?
Thanks and congrats to everyone!

verbal - 97
biology - 88
RC - 43
Quant - 34
Chem - 64

Composite - 77
Writing 3/3

Weird, I usually do extremely well in reading comprehension. Math was not surprising although my math GPA is 3.7. I am 6 years removed from school with significant pharmaceutical clinical research experience.

Does anyone think this is competitive? How much do schools focus on subscores anyway?

Thanks to everyone. Long time reader and appreciate the comments and insight.

Scores Oct 09

Verbal 427 86
Biology 414 71
RC 423 80
Chem 505 99
Quant 438 91

Comp 441 97 :laugh:

Not surprised about biology --- didn't study a lot and am glad i didn't.... it
wouldn't have helped me....

Am really surprised about the quant section --- felt like I completely bombed it.

lol wow! well the 99 is well deserved then! I was surprised I only scored an 88 on chem because I'm a chemistry TA and an organic chemistry tutor. But im sure time had something to do with that. =P

So did all you guys pay the $20 or get the results in the mail? I'm stuck at work right now......... aching to go home and check my mail but also worried there'll be nothing waiting for me!

Here in Niagara Falls, NY - didn't get mine yet.
Though to the above poster - they have been received by pharmCAS and for the august pcat, we received them soon after. So they will be here soon.

I caved in and paid the $20....they shouldn't even mail the scores, just make them available on-line.....honestly, who doesn't have access to the internet?

I caved in and paid the $20....they shouldn't even mail the scores, just make them available on-line.....honestly, who doesn't have access to the internet?

Ugh I agree.

But I refuse to pay them another cent!

Sigh, nothing for me yet in the DC Metro area.

broke down and paid the 20 bucks, but so worth it!!!

verbal 99
biology 66
reading 90
quant 70
chem 81

composite 91

I won't pay them another cent! I'd be the one that did and it would come in the mail tomorrow! haha I live in Houston and still nothing today....:eek:

Ah the suspense would've killed me if I didn't pay.

99 485 Chemistry
85 430 Quantitative Ability
75 419 Reading Comprehension
80 421 Biology
89 432 Verbal
95 437 Composite!

Thank God! I was just getting ready to study for the January exam =)

Ah the suspense would've killed me if I didn't pay.

99 485 Chemistry
85 430 Quantitative Ability
75 419 Reading Comprehension
80 421 Biology
89 432 Verbal
95 437 Composite!

Thank God! I was just getting ready to study for the January exam =)
Great Job!

I just paid the $20, and I'm so happy!

To put it in perspective:

June's Test:
Verbal- 85
Bio- 88
RC- 48
Quant-43 :(
Chem- 58
Writing- 3.5/3.5
Comp- 69

October Test:
Verbal- 86
Bio- 80
RC- 80
Quant- 94
Chem- 93
Writing- 3/3
Comp- 92 :)

I can't even describe how happy I am!
Thanks Dr. Collins!

Hey guys I have a question....even though this is not a computer fix forum. When I press submit to pay for the Online score report a new page loads which says Runtime Error....does anyone know what it is or how to fix it Thanks

if anyone from illinois gets their score let me know. i am not paying online. i did that last time and my results sucked and it was the biggest waste of money.

Anyone talked to an adviser about how much experience plays in admissions or getting interviews? I have over 600 hours in the last 4 or 5 months, 36 hours a week in the summer and 16 a week during the semester. I'm hoping it would offset my 3.3 gpa. Also, I have 15 hours a week volunteering in a hospital one summer.

According to the Post Office letters mailed on Tuesday from Texas would arrive in Illinois in 3 days. So, if everything goes as it should you will get your score tomorrow...but if it goes a little slower then you will probably see it by Saturday....if someone at the post office isn't doing their job (or several someones) then it will probably take until Monday. I live in Illinois too.

Last edited:
Anyone talked to an adviser about how much experience plays in admissions or getting interviews? I have over 600 hours in the last 4 or 5 months, 36 hours a week in the summer and 16 a week during the semester. I'm hoping it would offset my 3.3 gpa. Also, I have 15 hours a week volunteering in a hospital one summer.

I don't know and interested, that is very impressive working experience!

Verbal: 432/89%
Biology: 408/61%
Reading Comprehension: 470/99%
Quantitative: 430/85%
Chemistry: 422/77%
Writing: 3/3

Composite: 432/92%

So I'm definitely, definitely surprised, in a good way! That Bio score is the Debbie Downer of the bunch. Weird part is that right after the test, I thought Bio was my best section. But eff it, I'm pumped. Hopefully this will help pad my low GPA.

ok, well i feel pretty dumb since everyone on here seems to have done GREAT on the PCAT but i did not :(

it was my first time, and i guess i did not study too long...but i still thought i had done much better. i did decent on most of the sections except for RC (28%!!!!!) which brought down my composite to a 58% :( :( :( :( :( :(

there goes my christmas and thanksgiving break...

ok, well i feel pretty dumb since everyone on here seems to have done GREAT on the PCAT but i did not :(

it was my first time, and i guess i did not study too long...but i still thought i had done much better. i did decent on most of the sections except for RC (28%!!!!!) which brought down my composite to a 58% :( :( :( :( :( :(

there goes my christmas and thanksgiving break...
Don't let it get you down. For every 1 person on here posting about their 90+, there are ~9 people that are too upset/ashamed/etc. to post about their <90. I treated my first PCAT as a practice exam and rightly got a 45 for doing so but it has improved significantly since. All the more power to those that are willing to share their lower scores :D

Ok, so I posted about how I circled my answers in the test booklet and then ran out of time bubbling in my answers for the chemistry section. (I know, that was a dumb move on my part to not bubble in before each page flip. I've kicked myself in the rear, daily).

Verbal: 92
Bio: 99
RC: 90
QA: 85
Chem: 32
Composite: 92

Writing: 3.0 in each.

1st PCAT, so I dunno what to expect. Ccolleges look at all scores, correct? Do you guys think they will bring up my extremely low chemistry score? If so, should I explain that I ran out of time bubbling in my answers?

Stuided for <2weeks
I think the pcat accurately reflected my strengths and weaknesses

VA 86
Biology 94
RC 75
QA 24 (...****, but not suprised, haven't taken a math class since highschool)
Chem 81

Composite 80

Conclusion: meh, should've finished calc first

Ok, so I posted about how I circled my answers in the test booklet and then ran out of time bubbling in my answers for the chemistry section. (I know, that was a dumb move on my part to not bubble in before each page flip. I've kicked myself in the rear, daily).

Verbal: 92
Bio: 99
RC: 90
QA: 85
Chem: 32
Composite: 92

Writing: 3.0 in each.

1st PCAT, so I dunno what to expect. Ccolleges look at all scores, correct? Do you guys think they will bring up my extremely low chemistry score? If so, should I explain that I ran out of time bubbling in my answers?
That, and point them to your good grades in gen chem + org chem (assuming that your grades are good).

Ugh, this is nervewrecking. I live in Canada and I doubt I'll get the letter today. I guess next week. BUT, I refuse to pay anymore money to Pearson to see my scores. Why can't they just post our scores online (without charge) instead of mailing them to us? :(

Because their objective as a modern business is to make bigger profits. The idea of providing a customer service doesn't appeal to them because you are a limited customer who can only legally use their product (PCAT) five times.....and most will only use it once or twice. And you are a captive customer, you must use their product whether you want to or not for entrance into most pharmacy programs. So providing the kind of service that means you will be a happy customer isn't one of their objectives.

According to the Post Office letters mailed on Tuesday from Texas would arrive in Illinois in 3 days. So, if everything goes as it should you will get your score tomorrow...but if it goes a little slower then you will probably see it by Saturday....if someone at the post office isn't doing their job (or several someones) then it will probably take until Monday. I live in Illinois too.

Yeah I usually get my mail later because people at our post office like to take their time and whatnot. I saw on here someone who lives in texas didn't even get their score yet. I will probably get it next week...but I will still be waiting by the mailbox today!

I just paid the $20, and I'm so happy!

To put it in perspective:

June's Test:
Verbal- 85
Bio- 88
RC- 48
Quant-43 :(
Chem- 58
Writing- 3.5/3.5
Comp- 69

October Test:
Verbal- 86
Bio- 80
RC- 80
Quant- 94
Chem- 93
Writing- 3/3
Comp- 92 :)

I can't even describe how happy I am!
Thanks Dr. Collins!

Hi..Congrats..gr8 score. I paid and got my score. So let me first give a brief background about myself. I am a bachelors degree holder, i graduated some 4yrs back. Rite now im taking some prerequisites for the pharmacy school in Canada. Since all my science was so rusty, i took a PCAT course in Kaplan. I literally studied everyday from august 25 till the oct exam for like 10hrs a day. And still got a 41 composite :( (extremely dissapointed). Kaplan is totally a waste of money and time. Would never recommend anyone going through that route.
I read about Dr. Collins package. Would you suggest that I go ahead and purchase it. I have only a month and few days till i take the jan exam. Since now i know all the stuff, i was hoping to take practice test left right and centre so as to manage my time in all sections (since time management was the biggest challenge i faced during the exam, left about 10 questions in each section and a whole passage in reading comp).
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm obviously a first time poster, but I've been reading for the past few weeks after being introduced to these forums. I don't understand why everyone keeps freaking out about whether they're "competitive" to different schools with there credentials.

Everyone just needs confidence... believe in your abilities, know the "mean" of what people need for programs (most programs post their statistics for the past 5 years on their website). Also, while some schools require purely academic grades and rigor for admissions, others want to know what else you can provide (in terms of past experience, etc.).

In terms of studying for the actual PCATs, I suggest most people buy the Kaplan books (reading the material will at least guarantee you an 80 if you memorize everything in the book). The organic section is severely lacking, so I used an MCAT organic book to study what I needed. And for algebra, calculus, and statistics reviews, there are wonderful websites such as math-tutor and such that are FREE and give great lessons/reviews on derivatives/integrals/imaginary numbers, etc. All in all, studying for the pcat should only cost you $40 (FOR THE STUDY BOOK AT THE BOOKSTORE). It only requires dedication; I currently work 60-80 hours a week in my graduate program at Harvard, but signed up for the Oct. 17th PCAT on September 20th. I studied M-Th for 4 hours a day after work, and Saturday-Sunday for 6-8 hours. I used only those materials stated above, and got a 97% composite for my first time taking it. And to all those that make excuses that you haven't had <insert class name> for along time, that shouldn't matter. I took calculus, intro-chem, intro-organic, intro-bio as a freshman 7 years ago, but reviewing those lessons in the book and online quickly brought me back to speed in 2 days.

Last edited:
Hi..Congrats..gr8 score. I paid and got my score. So let me first give a brief background about myself. I am a bachelors degree holder, i graduated some 4yrs back. Rite now im taking some prerequisites for the pharmacy school in Canada. Since all my science was so rusty, i took a PCAT course in Kaplan. I literally studied everyday from august 25 till the oct exam for like 10hrs a day. And still got a 41 composite :( (extremely dissapointed). Kaplan is totally a waste of money and time. Would never recommend anyone going through that route.
I read about Dr. Collins package. Would you suggest that I go ahead and purchase it. I have only a month and few days till i take the jan exam. Since now i know all the stuff, i was hoping to take practice test left right and centre so as to manage my time in all sections (since time management was the biggest challenge i faced during the exam, left about 10 questions in each section and a whole passage in reading comp).
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dr. Collins really help with verbal, chemistry, and it is slightly easier in RC and Biology. I used Kaplan and Dr.collins for Biology, Dr. collins and ExamKrackers 101 MCAT VR Passages for reading~~

btw, my native language is not English~

My score:
August 2007:
Verbal: 40%
Biology: 78%
Reading: 30%
Quant: 97%
Chemistry: 98%

Composite: 87%
Writing: 2;3

Oct 2009:
Verbal: 78%
Biology: 94%
Reading: 75%
Quant: 91%
Chemistry: 99%

Composite: 97%
Writing: 3;3

Hope this can encourage you to keep on trying~:)

Last edited:
I highly recommend Dr. Collins for Bio, Chem, and Verbal. Also Dr. Collins and the team of profs give you their emails, so you can contact them if you have a question.
Math always takes so much time for me, so I used mathtv.com every night for 3 weeks or so, just going over problems. They post videos of students going through calculus and algebra step-by-step, which seems pretty elementary school, but it's a great way to refresh your brain on those subjects. As far as reading comp, I just used practice books in Barnes and Noble, and wrote my answers on a separate sheet of paper. One way to save a little money. :)
I used only Kaplan to study for my June test, and I really feel like the bio goes in to too much detail, and the other sections dont have enough details.
I hope this helps! This is what works for me!