General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy 2021-2022 cycle graduate school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a deadline for Belmont to submit a deposit but because of the cost/small size of the school, they're not my top school! I've asked for one more extension but I've already gotten one so
Did belmont grant you an extension on your deposit? If so how did you ask/how long of an extension did they give you?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview with them
I have an interview scheduled for Rush in January! If possible, could you perhaps give an account of what your experience was like? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

Did belmont grant you an extension on your deposit? If so how did you ask/how long of an extension did they give you?
So, I was admitted October 1st. I was given a extension from November 1st to December 1st then I did pay the deposit. However, I was invited to the early interview day and I didn't apply, so thats why I said that. They said yes without question though, so I imagine they would do the same for you. Here's what I said though:

"I want to first and foremost extend my appreciation for an admissions offer from Belmont University's OTD Program. I visited the campus again last week and absolutely loved everything Belmont and the greater Nashville area had to offer.

However, since I did not technically apply early and was given an early decision-time admission decision, I was wondering if there were any kind of extensions on ability to delay an admissions decision/deposit beyond November 1st. If not, I totally understand, I just wanted to reach out as I am in a unique situation with being accepted at the same time as early decision applicants, but not outright applying early decision.

Thank you so much again, Have a great week and I hope to hear from you soon"

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview scheduled for Rush in January! If possible, could you perhaps give an account of what your experience was like? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.
No problem! It’s a group interview, really relax and easy. Just your standard questions on why you want to be an OT. The rest of the interview talks about what the school is like and Q&A. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted to west coast (MSOT) and university of st. Augustine (OTD) too!! Still deciding though. May I ask why you chose West Coast over University of St. Augustine 😅? I’ve been weighing pros and cons and still can’t decide.
Hey! Congrats on getting accepted! When I was choosing between both, I weighed out my pros and cons also! I currently live in the San Fernando Valley which is only a 20 minute commute to the west coast campus. St Augustine is actually 10 grand more expensive in terms of tuition for their program which was surprising and its a little longer in length of program compared to West Coast. I personally wanted to get my degree faster so I could start working. I also enjoyed my interview with West Coast as I could see that they truly do care for their students. I also did not have a smooth application process with St. Augustine as it was hard to get in contact with my advisor. In my opinion, it didn't make sense to move and have to find a living situation and still pay more for tuition!

Last edited:
University: University of Tennessee
Major: Therapeutic Recreation
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 309
Letters of rec: Professor, Advisor, and OT
Extracurricular: SNF recreation assistant, sorority executive board officer, alumni chair, TRSA, exam proctor, best buddies
Volunteer: 100+ service hours, 112 shadowing hours

Applied: UAB, ETSU, MUSC, LMU, VCU, UTHSC, Belmont
Interviews: Belmont, LMU, UAB, VCU
Acceptances: Belmont, LMU
Waitlists:
Rejections:
@mburns30 I was just invited to interview at VCU! Do you have any tips or remember what you were asked? What was the format like?

Has anyone applied to GSU or VCU? Anyone interview yet? What did they ask?

Hey @otschoopls! With the deadline to pay the seat deposit coming up I was just wondering if you decided on going to CSUDH or not.
Hey @Liddo! I ended up not taking the offer so that I can see if I got into any of my other programs. Personally, I felt that it wasn't fair to choose one school so soon when I worked hard on my other applications and wouldn't get to wait to see the end results.

Hey @Liddo! I ended up not taking the offer so that I can see if I got into any of my other programs. Personally, I felt that it wasn't fair to choose one school so soon when I worked hard on my other applications and wouldn't get to wait to see the end results.
That’s what I ended up doing too. Good luck on the rest of your apps!

@mburns30 I was just invited to interview at VCU! Do you have any tips or remember what you were asked? What was the format like?
The faculty and students are very friendly! There are three interviews with faculty then a teamwork portion! It was via zoom but I was thoroughly impressed with the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is wondering - USC (CA) just released Phase II Invitations for Video Interviews!

Has anyone heard back from Radford yet? I know in the past they let some know if they were accepted or waitlisted about a week after their interview.

If anyone hears back from BU (Boston U) please reach out! I also applied early and interviewed early nov.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone applied to / heard back from Monmouth University or Cedar Crest College ?

Has anyone applied to / heard back from Monmouth University or Cedar Crest College ?
I was offered a face to face interview for Cedar Crest back on 9/13–the interview date I was offered was 11/4. The email stated “We encourage interviewees to attend in person, but if traveling would be a hardship, we can accommodate those requiring virtual interviews.” I replied and requested a virtual interview. I received this reply “The next interview dates are December 2nd and January 5th. We also have virtual interviews available if you ultimately can’t make the trip. Currently, we have November 18th, December 16th, and January 19th virtual dates. We will hold one virtual date and one in-person date each month from November to April or until the cohort is full.”

I ultimately cancelled my interview (which would have been this coming Thursday) as I was admitted to my top choice school.

Hope this info helps.

University: Stephen F. Austin State University
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.47
Pre-req GPA: 3.6-3.8
Observation: 30 in pediatrics, 30 in SNF, 12 virtual in multiple settings
GRE: 152 v 157 q 3.5 w
Volunteer: started volunteer org. at my university, involved in 2 other organizations, crisis counselor, volunteer at food pantry during summer
extracurricular/work: worked as caregiver in home health for a year, service provider for my university (3 yrs), research assistant(3 months),

Applied: TWU, UTMB, St. Augustine(Austin), UTep, Abilene Christian University, Samuel Merritt, Chatham, University of New Mexico, Oklahoma Health science center, Towson University, Alabama State University, Colorado State
Interviews: Chatham
Acceptances:
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Hi! I was wondering if you have heard back from Colorado State yet?

Has anyone heard back from Radford yet? I know in the past they let some know if they were accepted or waitlisted about a week after their interview.
I got an email today from Radford, and my interview was on Monday! Accepted! Hope you get yours soon!

Hello! I had my Radford interview on December 3rd and have not heard anything. When was your interview?

I was wondering if anyone asked for a deposit extension and how you phrased it to the admission coordinator?

I just got my Boston University Acceptance!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I was wondering if anyone asked for a deposit extension and how you phrased it to the admission coordinator?
So, I was admitted October 1st. I was given a extension from November 1st to December 1st then I did pay the deposit. However, I was invited to the early interview day and I didn't apply, so thats why I said that. They said yes without question though. Here's what I said though:

"I want to first and foremost extend my appreciation for an admissions offer from Belmont University's OTD Program. I visited the campus again last week and absolutely loved everything Belmont and the greater Nashville area had to offer.

However, since I did not technically apply early and was given an early decision-time admission decision, I was wondering if there were any kind of extensions on ability to delay an admissions decision/deposit beyond November 1st. If not, I totally understand, I just wanted to reach out as I am in a unique situation with being accepted at the same time as early decision applicants, but not outright applying early decision.

Thank you so much again, Have a great week and I hope to hear from you soon"

Undergraduate: Birmingham-Southern College (Birmingham, AL)
Major: Sociology
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE - Verbal: 160 Quant: 150 W: 4
Recommendations: 2 undergrad professors, 2 OT
Observation hours: 40 in-patient rehab (neuro), 40 out-patient hand therapy, 25 school setting

Applied: Colorado State University, Thomas Jefferson University, U. Illinois @ Chicago, Medical University of South Carolina
Interviews: Thomas Jefferson (11/19), MUSC - interview scheduled for 1/28/2022
Accepted: Thomas Jefferson (12/9), Colorado State University (1/10)
Waitlist:
Rejected:

Last edited:
Major: Public health
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6/3.7 depending on prereqs
GRE: V: 156 Q: 150 W: 4
Letters of recommendation: 2 OT mentors, 2 professors

Extra-Curriculars:
Co-Founded a Pre Occupational Therapy Club at my school, Volunteered at an OT based Karate program, worked as a Job Coach and activities coach at an adult day center (taught adults with disabilities skills needed to live independently and came to work with them as an accommodation), worked as a private karate instructor for kids with special needs. Volunteered with a team of OTs to create a food library website for feeding therapy.

Observation/ volunteer hours:
300+ hours at an outpatient pediatric clinic, roughly 100 hours with a feeding therapist online

Applied to: West Coast OTD, BU, CSUDH, USC, UIC

Interviews: West Coast (10/7), BU (11/6)
Acceptances: West Coast (10/11), CSUDH (11/15), BU (12/15)
Rejections: USC (12/13)

That's amazing congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing your stats please?
Just posted my stats if you want to take a look! Honestly I think my personal statement/ essays and my extracurriculars were what got me in! I had a traumatic experience with the interview

Reactions: 1 users
Major: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.81
Pre Req GPA: 3.8-4.0
LORS: Professor I TA'd under, Employer (Physical Therapist), OT

ECs: E-Board on Christian Fellowship, OT Club, Peer Mentor

Observation Hours: 120 Hours Between Outpatient Orthopedic/Hands, 50 Hours Outpatient Neuro in a Hospital

Applied: MGH IHP, SUNY Downstate, Columbia, NYU, Tufts
Interviews: IHP (11/17), Downstate (11/18)
Acceptances: Downstate (11/24), IHP (12/16), Tufts (12/21), Columbia (2/15), NYU (2/22)

Last edited:
Anyone planning to attend MGH? Have you gotten any information about scholarships…

Anyone planning to attend MGH? Have you gotten any information about scholarships…
Received an acceptance and a scholarship offer. They told me I'd receive my award from financial aid a couple days from now

Reposting my stats since a TON of acceptances have been coming out for those of us who applied earlier! Good luck to everyone still wiaitng - just know ALL your hard work will pay off 100% :)

University: University of Michigan
Major: Movement Science (Minors: EDU and Spanish)
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 160 Verbal, 163 Quant (323 Total) , 6.0 Writing
Letters of rec came from: supervisor at work, professor/research lab director, and OT mentor
Experience: Volunteer at Pediatric Play Facility, Internship at Adult Job Placement Facility, Nanny for child with Autism, Chemistry Tutor, Chemistry Tutoring Program Director, Worked in HIV/AIDs clinic for children in South Africa VP of Philanthropy and Chapter President for my sorority, 3 years in two research labs focused on childhood developmental health and motor skills in pediatric disablities, Adaptive Sports summer intern, Registered Behavior Technician, participated in USC Summer OT immersion
Observation hours: 80 Peds, 20 Geriatric

Applied: Belmont, USC (California), Boston U, Tufts U, Wisconsin-Madison, Wash U St. Louis, Western Michigan
Interviews: Belmont (9/25), Wisconsin, Boston U (10/29), Wash U St. Louis (Oct), USC (12/13)
Acceptances: Belmont (10/1), Boston (12/15), Wash U (12/16), Tufts (12/21)
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Scholarships: Received large merit scholarship and GA position at Boston and merit scholarship at Wash U and Tufts!

Last edited:
  • Love
I'm about 90% sure I'm going to MGH!! My acceptance email didn't say anything about a scholarship so I probably didn't receive any from the school. I'm still going to email to ask because I might as well. Are you planning on going there?

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to MGH!! My acceptance email didn't say anything about a scholarship so I probably didn't receive any from the school. I'm still going to email to ask because I might as well. Are you planning on going there?
I’m not sure because I got scholarship at washu! Maybe I will email mgh too

Heard from 3 schools this week UT chattanooga,Mary Baldwin and sacred heart.
When did you apply to sacred heart? Its my top school atm and I just want to have an idea of when I'll maybe hear back

Reposting my stats since a TON of acceptances have been coming out for those of us who applied earlier! Good luck to everyone still wiaitng - just know ALL your hard work will pay off 100% :)

University: University of Michigan
Major: Movement Science (Minors: EDU and Spanish)
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 160 Verbal, 163 Quant (323 Total) , 6.0 Writing
Letters of rec came from: supervisor at work, professor/research lab director, and OT mentor
Experience: Volunteer at Pediatric Play Facility, Internship at Adult Job Placement Facility, Nanny for child with Autism, Chemistry Tutor, Chemistry Tutoring Program Director, Worked in HIV/AIDs clinic for children in South Africa VP of Philanthropy and Chapter President for my sorority, 3 years in two research labs focused on childhood developmental health and motor skills in pediatric disablities, Adaptive Sports summer intern, Registered Behavior Technician, participated in USC Summer OT immersion
Observation hours: 80 Peds, 20 Geriatric

Applied: Belmont, USC (California), Boston U, Tufts U, Wisconsin-Madison, Wash U St. Louis, Western Michigan
Interviews: Belmont (9/25), Wisconsin, Boston U (10/29), Wash U St. Louis (Oct), USC (12/13)
Acceptances: Belmont (10/1), Boston (12/15), Wash U (12/16)
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Scholarships: Received large merit scholarship and GA position at Boston and merit scholarship at Wash U!
Congrats on your acceptances! What is your top pick right now? Also did you apply to the GA position or was that just awarded upon admission? I also got a scholarship from BU but I am interested in more financial assistance!

Has ANYBODY applied to University of Puget Sound or Pacific University Oregon and heard back about interviews?

Applied: University of Puget Sound, Pacific University Oregon, Eastern Washington University, University of St. Augustine San Marcos, Samuel Merritt University
Interviews: Eastern Washington University, Samuel Merritt University (not attending)
Acceptances: University of St. Augustine San Marcos (MOT, Start: May)
Waitlists:
Rejections:

Congrats on your acceptances! What is your top pick right now? Also did you apply to the GA position or was that just awarded upon admission? I also got a scholarship from BU but I am interested in more financial assistance!
Thank you! Congrats on getting into BU and also getting a scholarship. My top pick right now is Boston - I don't know if any other school is going to beat the scholarship/GA offer, but I am going to try to get a decision back from Wisco and Tufts first, since I LOVED their programs also. For the GA position - I didn't apply for it, but I did indicate on my application that I would be interested in the OTD/Phd route, which could have influenced their decision in GA positions? I'm not entirely sure. They just sent out a webinar it looks like with some more financial resources.

University: Prairie View A&M University

Major: Psychology

Overall GPA: 3.78 at time of application (3.81 after academic update)

Pre-Req GPA: 3.8 I only have a B in developmental psychology. All of my other pre-reqs are an A.

Gre: Terrible

Letters of rec came from: 1 OT, a psychology professor, and a registered nurse

Observation Hours: 47 hours in outpatient hand therapy. 12 hours virtual. 18 hours in outpatient peds. 2 hours virtual. (It was hard for me to get hours due to Covid)

Applied: TWU, Texas Tech, UTMB, Uthscsa,
St.Augustine, ACU, Baypath, Delaware State, Howard, UMHB

Interviews: TWU (11/20), UTMB (12/14), Delaware State (03/14), UMHB (04/23)

Acceptances: Baypath (03/11), Delaware State (03/14), Howard (04/14), UMHB (05/02), UTMB (06/02)

Waitlists: UTMB (12/22)

Rejections: TWU (12/15), St.Augustine (10/14), uthscsa (12/21) ACU (01/12) Texas tech (02/25)

Attending: UTMB

Last edited:
I applied late august!
sorry for all the questions, I just can't find this information anywhere. How did you hear back? Was it a packet or email? I got accepted into 1 school so far and they sent me a packet, an email, and called me.

Has ANYBODY applied to University of Puget Sound or Pacific University Oregon and heard back about interviews?

Applied: University of Puget Sound, Pacific University Oregon, Eastern Washington University, University of St. Augustine San Marcos, Samuel Merritt University
Interviews: Eastern Washington University, Samuel Merritt University (not attending)
Acceptances: University of St. Augustine San Marcos (MOT, Start: May)
Waitlists:
Rejections:
I applied to both those schools too, and I haven't heard back yet. I believe they won't contact us until Jan.

Does anyone know of any FB group or GroupMe for people attending MGH in Boston starting in Summer 2022?

University: Auburn University
Major: Rehab and Disability Studies
Overall GPA: 3.91
Pre-Req GPA: 3.91

Letters of Rec: One from an OT, one from a rehab studies professor, one from a club sports coach/mentor(RD, Nutrition Ph.D.)

Extracurriculars: President of Auburn Kiwanis community service org., Peer tutor/Job coach with Auburn's transition program for students with intellectual disabilities, volunteer elementary school tutor, Auburn women's ultimate frisbee captain, OT/PT club member, club powerlifting team member

Observation/Volunteer: 46 in pediatric and CHT outpatient therapy, 30 hours as a therapy intern at a pain clinic, a current internship with a transition program for students with intellectual disabilities, 60 hours with a high school athletic trainer
Other: camp counselor at a 6-week international summer camp

Applied: University of Pittsburgh, Wisconsin-Madison, University of Florida, UAB
Interviews: UAB (12/17/21)
Acceptances:
Waitlists:
Rejections:

Can anyone tell me if I'm shooting too high with the four that I've applied to?
Hi! I am applying at UAB in the summer and wondering if you could tel me about the interview process