General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy 2021-2022 cycle graduate school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I interviewed Tuesday, October 26th. Some of the current students at the meet and greet said that there were 2 more interviews scheduled.
I also interviewed then! Im so nervous waiting to hear back

Members don't see this ad.

Just heard from Boston University asking for a Kira Interview!! Anyone else?
Heard back from them yesterday as well! Does anyone have any experience with Kira?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many interviews Midwestern in Arizona gives out? / I have an interview scheduled and am trying to figure out if I am a shoe in

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard back from them yesterday as well! Does anyone have any experience with Kira?
Kira is very easy to work (you basically are given the question, have one minute to prepare, and one or two attempts to record depending on the school). To me, I think they are very impersonal and its hard to get your personality across. I think just trying to pretend its as normal as possible is helpful, haha fake it til you make it

Do you know how long we have to wait until we hear back?
Idk because all the students from the q&a I was in said something different. Some of them said a couple weeks and some said they didn't hear back until December.

University: California State University, Channel Islands
Major: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 2.87
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.6 depending on school
GRE: Verbal 148, Quantitative 143, Analytical 4.0 (not the best scores lol)
Letters of rec: 3 OT's, 1 supervisor
Extracurricular/Experience: President of Filipino student association
800 hours as an OT aide hand therapy
3000+ hours at a Neuro Rehab clinic as a clinic assistant in the OT department
Behavioral therapist

Applied: West Coast, Midwestern (Arizona), University St. Augustine (San Marcos), CSUDH, Stanbridge
Interviews: Stanbridge, West Coast University (10/13), Midwestern University (Arizona, 3/19)
Waitlist: Stanbridge (Irvine campus)
Rejections: CSUDH
Acceptances: West Coast University (11/1), University of St. Augustine (San Marcos) (11/2), Stanbridge (LA campus, 12/7)
Going to attend: West Coast University!

Just wanted to say that it is 100% possible to get into OT school with a lower cumulative GPA! Don't give up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many interviews Midwestern in Arizona gives out? / I have an interview scheduled and am trying to figure out if I am a shoe in
Not sure about the amount, but they have rolling admission. When I had mine they said they meet every few weeks after a couple of interview dates to extend acceptances/waitlist people

when did you apply and when did you hear about your interview date for loma linda?
Hey! I applied Sept 5th. They wanted to do an interview mid October. I ended up turning it down because I got into a different school that was better for my situation.

did anyone hear back from downstate?
I am supposed to be taking the HRST and don't know what to expect

Hi! Has anyone who applied to USC heard anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard nothing.
I did receive an email confirmation from USC after submitting on OTCAS saying they received the application and then a reply when I sent my certificate of completion of the Med Term class I took. On the info session they said that some of the top candidates would be receiving an invite to do a video submission in December and decisions would come out in January. Last year from reviewing this forum the invite for the Phase II video didn’t go out until 12/21 and decisions came out 1/29.

Reactions: 1 users
University: California State University, Channel Islands
Major: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 2.87
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.6 depending on school
GRE: Verbal 148, Quantitative 143, Analytical 4.0 (not the best scores lol)
Letters of rec: 3 OT's, 1 supervisor
Extracurricular/Experience: President of Filipino student association
800 hours as an OT aide hand therapy
3000+ hours at a Neuro Rehab clinic as a clinic assistant in the OT department
Behavioral therapist

Applied: West Coast, Midwestern (Arizona), University St. Augustine (San Marcos), CSUDH, Stanbridge
Interviews: Stanbridge, West Coast University (10/13)
Acceptances: West Coast University (11/1), University of St. Augustine (San Marcos) (11/2)
Going to attend:

Just wanted to say that it is 100% possible to get into OT school with a lower cumulative GPA! Don't give up!
Which cohort did you apply to for USA San Marcos? OTD or MOT?

University: California State University, Long Beach
Major: Kinesiology/Sport Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.64
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: N/A
Letters of rec came from 2 OTs, 1 COTA/Volunteer Supervisor

Extra-Curric: Behavioral Technician/Paraprofessional, Exercise Science Lab Teaching Assistant, Active Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Competitor, Wedding Photographer

Volunteer: 200 Peds Outpatient, 100 Hand Therapy, 100 Inpatient (general rehab: OT and PT)

Applied: USC, Loma Linda, USA San Marcos (OTD, Summer 2022), West Coast University (Fall 2022)

Acceptances: Loma Linda (11/22), USA San Marcos (11/23), West Coast (12/6)

Rejections:

Interviews: Loma Linda (10/27), USA San Marcos (11/10), West Coast University (11/29), USC (Phase II - 12/13)

Last edited:
University: University of Texas at San Antonio
GPA: 3.88
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Observation: 16 in outpatient rehab/hand therapy, 12 from online module from Quinnipiac, 20 in inpatient rehab, over 500 in pediatrics
Letters of Rec: 3 OTs, A&P professor, research advisor
GRE: 157 V 156 Q 3.5 W

Applied: TWU Dallas, UTMB, TTUHSC, UTHSCSA, UTEP, UTRGV, Oklahoma, ACU, Ohio State, St. Augustine (Austin)
Interviews: TTUHSC (10/29), TWU Dallas (11/19), UTMB (12/14), UTHSCSA (12/16), Ohio State (1/15)
Acceptances: St. Augustine (8/11), Oklahoma - Tulsa (11/8), TTUHSC (11/19), TWU Dallas (12/1), ACU (12/2), UTHSCSA (12/20), UTMB (12/21), UTRGV (1/11), Ohio State (1/20), UTEP (3/14)
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Going to Attend: UTMB!!!

Last edited:
Not yet. They said will started sending video invitation later this month if the applicants are admitted to round 2

University: UC Irvine
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 2.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Did not take
Letters of rec: 2 OTs and a professor
Extracurricular: 1 year teaching assistant, Special Olympics, Adapted Kinesiology Program (aquatherapy)
Volunteer: (Total 300+ hours) 100+ Hand Rehab Clinic, 100+ Pediatric Clinic, 100 in Volunteer in School Setting

Applied: Stanbridge University, West Coast University, Keck Graduate Institute, USC, Loma Linda University
Interviews: Stanbridge University(MSOT- Irvine), West Coast University (MSOT), Loma Linda University (OTD)
Acceptances: West Coast University, Stanbridge University (Irvine)
Waitlists:
Rejections:

If anyone is interested in what my interview/application process was like please feel free to msg me :)
Which program and start date for West Coast University? I applied for OTD start date of fall 2022 and haven't heard back yet so I'm just curious!

University: Indiana University Bloomington
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.59
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: Verbal 152, Quantitative 148, Analytical 3.0
Letters of rec: 2 OT's, 1 professor
Extracurricular/Experience: Club volleyball team, vice president of sorority
Direct support professional for an ABA school
100 hours in shadowing

Applied: West Coast University OTD (fall 2022 cohort), University of St. Augustine MOT (San Marcos, fall 2022 cohort), Keck OTD (fall 2022 cohort), Loma Linda OTD (summer 2022 cohort), Rush University (Chicago, fall 2022 cohort), University of Illinois at Chicago OTD (fall 2022 cohort), Indiana University OTD (spring 2022 cohort), Medical University of South Carolina OTD (spring 2022 cohort)
Interviews: University of St. Augustine, Indiana University
Acceptances:
Waitlist: Indiana University
Rejected:
Going to attend:

University: Indiana University Bloomington
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.59
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: Verbal 152, Quantitative 148, Analytical 3.0
Letters of rec: 2 OT's, 1 professor
Extracurricular/Experience: Club volleyball team, vice president of sorority
Direct support professional for an ABA school
100 hours in shadowing

Applied: West Coast University OTD (fall 2022 cohort), University of St. Augustine MOT (San Marcos, fall 2022 cohort), Keck OTD (fall 2022 cohort), Loma Linda OTD (summer 2022 cohort), Rush University (Chicago, fall 2022 cohort), University of Illinois at Chicago OTD (fall 2022 cohort), Indiana University OTD (spring 2022 cohort), Medical University of South Carolina OTD (spring 2022 cohort)
Interviews: University of St. Augustine, Indiana University
Acceptances:
Waitlist: Indiana University
Rejected:
Going to attend:
You had an interview for St. Augustine? For some reason I read there wasn't an interview for USA :O

You had an interview for St. Augustine? For some reason I read there wasn't an interview for USA :O
I feel like they aren't conducting anymore interviews after implementing their supplemental questions. I was admitted and did not interview also.

Which program and start date for West Coast University? I applied for OTD start date of fall 2022 and haven't heard back yet so I'm just curious!
I was accepted for MOT spring! Im sure for the doctorate you’ll hear back soon.

Idk because all the students from the q&a I was in said something different. Some of them said a couple weeks and some said they didn't hear back until December.
Have either of you heard anything?

To anyone wondering about USC - Check your emails! Phase II interviews should come out in a few weeks.. assuming an alternate admissions decision like waitlist, deferring, or rejection will at the same time!

I got an email after I submitted my OTCAS application and also last night. They said they would be notifying no candidates about phase 2 in the next few weeks

It was more of an advising appointment but they did ask why OT and why St. Augustine in the phone call!

Hi! Has anyone heard back from any programs yet? Specifically TWU's OTD program!? I'm interviewing with the on Saturday, and I'm so nervous!!

Did anyone apply to Jacksonville University or Florida International University ?

University: University of Tampa

Major: Allied Health, Concentration in occupational therapy sciences

Overall GPA: 3.3

Prereq GPA: depends on the school

GRE: Did not take

Letters of rec: 2 occupational therapists, 2 professors, and 1 club advisor

# of observation hours: 120 hours from 4 diff settings: pediatrics, geriatrics, & 2 hand therapy combined

Involvement: president and founder of club on campus, secretary of best buddies, apart of the PT/OT society, tpe peer mentor, fye peer mentor and had a job off campus

Applied: Rutgers, Tufts, OSU, Midwestern IL, UW-Madison, drakke, Chatham, Gannon (Ruskin) Yeshiva, Quinnipiac, USAHS-Miami
Interviews: UW-Madison, Drake, Chatham, Gannon (Ruskin, FL)
Acceptances: Yeshiva, Quinnipiac & USAHS Miami
Waitlists:
Rejections:

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from USC yet about phase II?
I know it's supposed to be sent out in the coming weeks.

Based on what I saw in last year’s forums it looks like they might be sending out the first round of emails in early-mid December

Anyone apply to Columbia and know how the recorded interview works? How much time do we have to think about a response / can we rerecord?

Nothing yet! Last year applications ended Nov. 30th but this year was Nov. 1st so I think we should hear back fairly earlier.

University: UC Davis
Major: Human Development
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75
GRE: 316 (162 Quant/154 Verbal/4.5 Writing)
Letters of Rec: 1 Professor, 1 Professor/Research Director, 1 OT
Extracurricular: 1 year classroom aide, 1 year Tutor, 1 year research team leader
Volunteer: 40 Outpatient, 50+ School Setting

Applied: USC, SJSU, CSUDH, Stanbridge, Dominican, Keck Graduate Institute
Interviews: Stanbridge
Acceptances: Stanbridge, CSUDH
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Hi @sproutsprout ! I also got accepted into CSUDH and wanted to ask how you're dealing with the fact that CSUDH starts in January and needs students to commit before any programs (like USC) release their decisions later in early Spring. It's tough knowing that I can't see whether or not I got into my other programs if I choose to commit to CSUDH.. :(

Hi @sproutsprout ! I also got accepted into CSUDH and wanted to ask how you're dealing with the fact that CSUDH starts in January and needs students to commit before any programs (like USC) release their decisions later in early Spring. It's tough knowing that I can't see whether or not I got into my other programs if I choose to commit to CSUDH.. :(
Hey! I am also in this position right now and I am curious to know what your thoughts are. Personally, I am leaning more towards getting an OTD but I can't deny that CSUDH is the smartest choice financially. There is also the issue that USC is not yet accredited and I'm kinda scared to wait until our last year of the program to find out whether or not they get the accreditation or not.

Hey! I am also in this position right now and I am curious to know what your thoughts are. Personally, I am leaning more towards getting an OTD but I can't deny that CSUDH is the smartest choice financially. There is also the issue that USC is not yet accredited and I'm kinda scared to wait until our last year of the program to find out whether or not they get the accreditation or not.
I would not worry at all about USC not having their accreditation. It’s an established highly rated program in a top school. It’s almost just a formality going from their MSOT to OTD.

Hi @Liddo! I agree with the above comment, I have no doubt that USC will receive their accreditation.

Personally, I'm stuck because CSUDH's price tag straight up cannot be beat. I don't want my future self to be regretful choosing a ridiculous amount of debt for a different school, especially because I'm low-income. But the reason I want to keep my option open to USC is because
1) I'd like to stay close to home and commute and 2) I want to practice in LA and USC has many partnerships with local organizations i'd specifically like to gain experience under 3) I'm considering research/policy so an OTD would be ideal. It's difficult knowing how heavily decisions revolve around money.. :/

University: Cedarville University
Major: Allied Health Pre-OT
Minor: Psychology and Biblical Studies
Overall GPA: 3.38
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: Didn't take
Letters of rec came from an academic advisor, boss, and OT I shadowed under

Extra-Curriculars: RA for two years, member of a service dog training organization, Miss Southside VA within the Miss America Organization, Student Dance Org, Note Taker for Disability Services

Volunteer: 45 observation hours split between Telehealth at a pediatric clinic, inpatient rehab, school setting, and virtual observation hours. Volunteer hours were spent in a special needs dance class for two years, as well as summer dance camp programs. A lot of hours also came through my social impact in the Miss America Organization, where I created a program to advocate for adaptive physical education.

Work Experience: I have been an in-home caregiver for an 8-year-old with cerebral palsy for the past three years, customer service, summer camp counselor

I applied to Milligan University, Messiah University, ETSU, Kettering OTD Program, Radford, and Lenior-Rhyne

Acceptances: Milligan!!!!

Rejections:

Waitlist: Kettering

Interviews: Messiah, Kettering, Milligan
I just accepted my seat at Milligan! If anyone else is planning on attending, let me know! I would love to get to know you before the fall!

Does anyone know if there’s an option for West Coast University to get your Doctorate after graduating with MSOT? I know in the past, USC let you decide your second year of MSOT if you wanted to stay for 2 more semesters for a doctorate

Does anyone know if there’s an option for West Coast University to get your Doctorate after graduating with MSOT? I know in the past, USC let you decide your second year of MSOT if you wanted to stay for 2 more semesters for a doctorate
I would call to see just in case but I dont see why you couldn’t. Did you already get into the Master’s program?

Hi! Has anyone heard back from any programs yet? Specifically TWU's OTD program!? I'm interviewing with the on Saturday, and I'm so nervous!!
Hey, I interviewed on Saturday also.

If anybody applied to twu. Can y’all let me know when you hear back from them after interviews. And also if y’all applied to Utmb have you heard anything?