Obamacare is a Complete Failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Psychiatry, for one. And primary care is becoming more and more viable. Urgent care is another possibility. There's a very successful A&I doc in town that doesn't accept insurance, and he's got a practice that's so backed up that he can't accept any new patients.

I forgot psych. So yes, but only for outpatient. The second you go to inpatient costs skyrocket like everything else. So you need insurance..

I've been with a family member twice to an urgent care and both times we were referred to an er and needed testing. So you need insurance..

And for all these opt out of insurance examples, it's only viable for upper class people, who do it PLUS have insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

In one word: yes.

For some reason people seem to think that since we pay twice as much we get better care yet study after study. Meta analysis after analysis shows this is not the case at all. Do a search.

http://www.openmedicine.ca/article/view/8/1
In this systematic review, we demonstrated that although Canadian outcomes were more often superior to US outcomes than the reverse, neither the United States nor Canada can claim hegemony in terms of quality of medical care and the resultant patient-important outcomes. In virtually all areas, study results have demonstrated some apparent advantages for Canada and others for the United States. In cancer, where a number of strong studies have used population-based registries, Canadian outcomes appear superior in head and neck cancer, and possibly for low-income patients with a variety of cancers; American women with breast cancer appear to have better survival rates than Canadian women. In data from population-based registries, Canadians enjoy better risk-adjusted survival after a variety of surgeries, but American outcomes appear superior after hip fracture repair and cataract surgery. Studies that do not utilize population-based registries suggest that Americans have, possibly as a result of more aggressive interventions, less angina after MI, but the benefit may come at the price of increased strokes and bleeding. There is one area in which Canadian outcomes appear consistently superior: end-stage renal failure. Even here, however, as we shall discuss, one cannot be certain that superior medical care is responsible for the differences.

You should also keep in mind that outcomes for people with resources are actually far better than in most other countries, and that a large part of the reason the US suffers in international comparisons isn't that the quality of medical care isn't good, it's that it's not as available, thus resulting in those that cannot afford care or are underinsured bringing down the average quality of care for the nation as a whole.

Reactions: 3 users
In one word: yes.

For some reason people seem to think that since we pay twice as much we get better care yet study after study. Meta analysis after analysis shows this is not the case at all. Do a search.

http://www.openmedicine.ca/article/view/8/1
I have done a search. I also know the numbers like infant mortality get fudged based on how u define a birth. Also different chances of survival from cancer starting from pt of diagnosis. I also know that Medicaid patients have worse outcomes than people with private insurance in this country which every study shows. So no, the outcomes are not the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot psych. So yes, but only for outpatient. The second you go to inpatient costs skyrocket like everything else. So you need insurance..

I've been with a family member twice to an urgent care and both times we were referred to an er and needed testing. So you need insurance..

And for all these opt out of insurance examples, it's only viable for upper class people, who do it PLUS have insurance.
$600/year for a younger adult, $900/year for an adult between the age of 35-64, and $1,200/year for an elderly adult is unaffordable? With all visits and basic testing included in the price?

It's not unaffordable. It's that people don't like buying intangible things.

And hospital care is what catastrophic/high deductible coverage should be for. Your insurance should only kick in for large health care expenditures, not everyday ones. The "car insurance doesn't cover brakes, wipers, gas, oil, etc" analogy.

Reactions: 2 users
I have done a search. I also know the numbers like infant mortality get fudged based on how u define a birth. Also different chances of survival from cancer starting from pt of diagnosis. I also know that Medicaid patients have worse outcomes than people with private insurance in this country which every study shows. So no, the outcomes are not the same.
Yeah, we consider anything that draws breath a living infant, but many countries draw the line at between 28 and 32 weeks. We consider anything that's breathing and sustainable on mechanical ventilation when it comes out a viable infant, even if it's a 23 weeker.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, we consider anything that draws breath a living infant, but many countries draw the line at between 28 and 32 weeks. We consider anything that's breathing and sustainable on mechanical ventilation when it comes out a viable infant, even if it's a 23 weeker.
Thats why the numbers arent what they seem. If different countries define what is a live birth differently, then some countries will have a lower death rate bc of a technicality, while babies in America are dying all over the place.

I doubt the average American gives two s**** about physician incomes. They don't say "don't go in it for the money" for nothing.

99% of the reason nobody wants to be a FP right there.

Reactions: 2 users
99% of the reason nobody wants to be a FP right there.
There was an old article on a poll that was done of average Americans back when healthcare reform in the 90s was being discussed about doctor salaries - the public thought doctors should be ok with making $80,000 a year. That tells u how much we should care what they think our salaries should be.

$600/year for a younger adult, $900/year for an adult between the age of 35-64, and $1,200/year for an elderly adult is unaffordable? With all visits and basic testing included in the price?

It's not unaffordable. It's that people don't like buying intangible things.

And hospital care is what catastrophic/high deductible coverage should be for. Your insurance should only kick in for large health care expenditures, not everyday ones. The "car insurance doesn't cover brakes, wipers, gas, oil, etc" analogy.

Yeah except the analogy doesn't apply. Brakes cost $20. An emergency appy stay in the hospital with workup, imaging, surgery, post op care, complications can run 20k and up too the moon.. and its not something you can plan on going like brakes.

I'm sure concierge medicine will have its place in the future, so you'll be just fine milking societies upper echelon.
However, socialized medicine is coming no matter how hard you fight it.

There will be no roll back of medicaid/ medicare expansions that came with the ACA. Eventually all 50 states will take them on. If the subsidies fall through in this supreme court decision, good riddance. This whole half way thing with insurance companies is silly and wasteful. Medicaid and Medicare will continue to expand in the years to come. Reimbursements will drop for physicians and society will continue on.

Physicians are all over the world. Most make much less than their us counterparts, yet still live their lives, most happy with what they do everyday. Maybe I'll b**** when my loans come due, but then again I not planing on making a fortune. I've worked and lived bare bones to this point and I'm satisfied. I'll be satisfied then as well.

End rant.

Yeah except the analogy doesn't apply. Brakes cost $20. An emergency appy stay in the hospital with workup, imaging, surgery, post op care, complications can run 20k and up too the moon.. and its not something you can plan on going like brakes.

I'm sure concierge medicine will have its place in the future, so you'll be just fine milking societies upper echelon.

There will be no roll back of medicaid/ medicare expansions that came with the ACA. Eventually all 50 states will take them on. If the subsidies fall through in this supreme court decision, good riddance. This whole half way thing with insurance companies is silly and wasteful. Medicaid and Medicare will continue to expand in the years to come. Reimbursements will drop for physicians and society will continue on.

Physicians are all over the world. Most make much less than their us counterparts, yet still live their lives, most happy with what they do everyday. Maybe I'll b**** when my loans come due, but then again I not planing on making a fortune. I've worked and lived bare bones to this point and I'm satisfied. I'll be satisfied then as well.

End rant.
Lol. U dont even know why physicians in other countries make the salaries they make. Also for all that milking of the upper echelon, concierge care is booming and so is DPC for lower incomes.

Are u even wanting to have a fruitful conversation, or is this just a rant against the rich?

Physicians are all over the world. Most make much less than their us counterparts, yet still live their lives, most happy with what they do everyday. Maybe I'll b**** when my loans come due, but then again I not planing on making a fortune. I've worked and lived bare bones to this point and am satisfied. I'll be satisfied then as well.

End rant.
And that 20k expense is a one-time deal like a totaled car that needs to be replaced. That's why I'm saying catastrophic coverage is the way to go- it covers you for the big stuff (the financial equivalent of a totaled car or a lawsuit from someone you hit), but leaves the little stuff of basic maintenance to the individual.

As to the financial aspects, I didn't go into this profession to make less money than when I enrolled. I don't expect to be a millionaire, but I won't work for less than 200k, especially after the 8 years of my life I'm giving up that I could have invested in a higher paying field. It's not that I need the money- it's that I'll have earned it. If people don't want to pay me, I'll just drop out of the field and go into consulting or something.

Members don't see this ad :)

A neonatologist at our school pointed out during a talk he gave the fact that infant mortality figures are often politically motivated and buffed to look good, which is the reason infant mortality in this country looks comparatively ****ty when looking at the numbers put forth by health agencies in other industrialized countries. Basically, we could probably do better, but the figures put out by other countries are misleading and if they used the same criteria we used their numbers wouldn't look as good.

A neonatologist at our school pointed out during a talk he gave the fact that infant mortality figures are often politically motivated and buffed to look good, which is the reason infant mortality in this country looks comparatively ****ty when looking at the numbers put forth by health agencies in other industrialized countries. Basically, we could probably do better, but the figures put out by other countries are misleading and if they used the same criteria we used their numbers wouldn't look as good.
I've been around for enough 23 weeker deliveries to see exactly how insane it is that we consider infant mortality in the manner we do. But try telling that to the public, they don't know, understand, or care.

End rant.
:laugh: I see we still have the starry eyed, fresh from pre-allo, "I'm only in it to help people" mentality. Don't worry, I never gave the money much thought before I got to med school either. But something about the soul-crushing nature of med school, the thought of the debt you're accumulating, and knowing you'll be paying that debt off for a good 10+ years AFTER residency (even living bare bones) is sobering. It's enough to make me realize that when that day comes I will have earned every penny of that salary, and you have no right to tell me that 80k (or whatever the government thinks is enough) is anything less than a slap in the face.

Reactions: 8 users
Lol. U dont even know why physicians in other countries make the salaries they make. Also for all that milking of the upper echelon, concierge care is booming and so is DPC for lower incomes.

Are u even wanting to have a fruitful conversation, or is this just a rant against the rich?

Reimbursement figures for most countries are in the public domain. I have nothing against rich people. On the other hand I have a thing against millions of Americans not having insurance because people can't get out of the past and a broken system.

Physicians will always make more money than the average Joe.

It reminds me of an orthopedic surgeon I followed a while back. Every day he would b**** about ACA and how his reimbursements were dropping like a rock and he works so hard and overhead was increasing. Then he buys his third multimillion dollar house..

Meanwhile I have a family member who works his a** off more than anyone I know, has a medical problem w/o insurance, and had his life pretty much ruined by bills.

I'm all for physicians making money, I just think some get their heads stuck in the clouds and lose sight of reality.

People not having insurance is a very fixable problem. Yet we won't fix it. Instead we'll spend trillions of a fighter jet program that we don't need, trillions on new nuclear sub and aircraft carrier programs that we don't need. And billions on other junk.

I just think that the whole system is broken. I never said physicians shouldn't be paid fairly, especially since I'm going to be one of them..

:laugh: I see we still have the starry eyed, fresh from pre-allo, "I'm only in it to help people" mentality. Don't worry, I never gave the money much thought before I got to med school either. But something about the soul-crushing nature of med school, the thought of the debt you're accumulating, and knowing you'll be paying that debt off for a good 10+ years AFTER residency (even living bare bones) is sobering. It's enough to make me realize that when that day comes I will have earned every penny of that salary, and you have no right to tell me that 80k (or whatever the government thinks is enough) is anything less than a slap in the face.

I never said this.

Reimbursement figures for most countries are in the public domain. I have nothing against rich people. On the other hand I have a thing against millions of Americans not having insurance because people can't get out of the past and a broken system.

It reminds me of an orthopedic surgeon I followed a while back. Every day he would b**** about ACA and how his reimbursements were dropping like a rock and he works so hard and overhead was increasing. Then he buys his third multimillion dollar house..

Meanwhile I have a family member who works his a** off more than anyone I know, has a medical problem w/o insurance, and had his life pretty much ruined by bills.

I'm all for physicians making money, I just think some get their heads stuck in the clouds and lose sight of reality.

People not having insurance is a very fixable problem. Yet we won't fix it. Instead we'll spend trillions of a fighter jet program that we don't need, trillions on new nuclear sub and aircraft carrier programs that we don't need. And billions on other junk.

I just think that the whole system is broken. I never said physicians shouldn't be paid fairly, especially since I'm going to be one of them..
It doesn't matter what that ortho surgeon does with his money, it's his money. Although I suppose a liberal trying to dictate the actions of another, especially in regards to finances, shouldn't come as a shock to anybody.

You accuse physicians of having their heads in the clouds, but it seems that you're a bit idealistic on the topic as well.

Reactions: 3 users

Having or not having insurance does not mean you have access to care. Case in point: I am a resident and am a hospital employee. I should have awesome insurance. Except, my health insurance does not cover any pharmacy other than the hospital associate pharmacy. Which, by the way, is only open from 9-3pm M-F. I've suddenly gotten very good at pricing drugs at local pharmacies if I need something semi-urgently. Amox or Augmentin might be cheaper at cash prices than your copay. Cheritussin is $10 a bottle; my copay would be $25 had I gotten it at the hospital pharmacy.

This experience has made me pro- "let's turn health insurance into something akin to car insurance", because you sit and realize, "I pay $250 a month in premiums, ignoring what the hospital chips in, and I can't even use the prescription drug benefits half the time".

How do u know how he paid for his house? He told u? Arent orthopedic surgeries very physically rough on the person who is doing it? Arent orthos constantly working?

I'll make u a deal, u can make federal caps on my income when u pay my undergrad tuition and fees, my med school tuition and fees, pay my liability insurance, no malpractice risk for govt. Insured patients, and comprehensive govt benefits and pension.

How do u know how he paid for his house? He told u? Arent orthopedic surgeries very physically rough on the person who is doing it? Arent orthos constantly working?

I'll make u a deal, u can make federal caps on my income when u pay my undergrad tuition and fees, my med school tuition and fees, pay my liability insurance, no malpractice risk for govt. Insured patients, and comprehensive govt benefits and pension.

When did I ever say there should be caps on your income? I'm for universal health care. Not screwing physicians and paying them dirt.

The variation in drug prices is a byproduct of different insurance plans reimbursing differently.
Single payer would force a flat rate.

And I don't need to make a deal. Ask any practicing doc. They will tell you we are heading towards socialized medicine. It's not an "if," but a "when."

I'm getting the feeling I went from being a minority opinion to trolling this anti Obama care thread so I'll leave you to it.

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif

When did I ever say there should be caps on your income? I'm for universal health care. Not screwing physicians and paying them dirt.

The variation in drug prices is a byproduct of different insurance plans reimbursing differently.
Single payer would force a flat rate.

And I don't need to make a deal. Ask any practicing doc. They will tell you we are heading towards socialized medicine. It's not an "if," but a "when."

I'm getting the feeling I went from being a minority opinion to trolling this anti Obama care thread so I'll leave you to it.
If we go full socialized medicine, I foresee a lot of physicians retiring or leaving the system at a rapid rate. Good luck getting your care when you've got no one willing to provide it.

That plan sounds like pretty much any plan I've ever seen, and it's really not that complicated if you take an hour or so to learn how the system works.

I really don't think it's that complex, I just think the average american is either too lazy/unmotivated/shortsighted to take the time to understand it, or they are just too stupid as you said in the last sentence. Plus not all states have places where you can easily compare insurance plans and get info beyond premium, deductible, and co-pays. In some places you have to dig to get that information, and the average joe here wants instant gratification, not to spend time planning and learning about things that may never happen.

That's pretty much me, I'll admit, I want instant grat. I never go to the doctor though, cause I don't get sick or it might be too expensive.

If we go full socialized medicine, I foresee a lot of physicians retiring or leaving the system at a rapid rate. Good luck getting your care when you've got no one willing to provide it.

That's when the govt will send in the NPs and tell everyone they're the same. Avg medical care will be set back to pre-flexnor report days, and diploma mill dnp programs will create a scary generation of unstandardized, undereducated new grads unknowingly ready to kill the unsuspecting hoards. <dramatization... I hope>

You say doom and gloom, but there are pre meds and med students willing to sell their own mother to get into med school/residency.

In fact, it can be argued that the cuts that came with the ACA did the opposite. In order to maintain income physicians worked harder and took on even more patients to make up the shortfall in income.

You say doom and gloom, but there are pre meds and med students willing to sell their own mother to get into med school/residency.

In fact, it can be argued that the cuts that came with the ACA did the opposite. In order to maintain income physicians worked harder and took on even more patients to make up the shortfall in income.
Yes, but eventually there will be a tipping point where the old guard says "screw this" and retires. A great percentage of physicians over 55 have enough money to up and leave. With a third of physicians over age 55, you could easily see a massive loss of doctors in the workforce. Given that we have 900k physicians in the USA, and that residencies only turn out about 28k physicians a year, if there were a massive change that resulted in an exodus of doctors from the field, it could be literally devastating to our healthcare system due to the lag time in training replacements. There aren't enough doctors to care for people now, imagine what it would be like if we lost 20% of them.

So you say Obamacare is working perfectly? Call Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis ....their Find a Doctor Hotline. The first two questions are 1) Do you have insurance? Yes, PPO 2) Was it through Marketplace? Yes....REPLY: We do not see patients with insurance through marketplace.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

Primary care is and always has been "outpatient." Just because our country decided to start performing primary care in hospitals doesn't mean it's smart... it just guarantees that associated costs will skyrocket. All of primary care can happen in ourpatient offices and private practice, and when performed correctly it comprises ~85% of the medical care a person will ever need.

Ideally, the cheapest delivery of health care happens at cost without insurance (ie: price inflation), in privately owned clinics where the physician has a vested interest in efficiency and customer satisfaction. The most expensive way to perform primary care is through major medical centers, paid for through insurance (ie: 20 layers of middlemen who take their cut of the pie).

Primary care is and always has been "outpatient." Just because our country decided to start performing primary care in hospitals doesn't mean it's smart... it just guarantees that associated costs will skyrocket. All of primary care can happen in ourpatient offices and private practice, and when performed correctly it comprises ~85% of the medical care a person will ever need.

Ideally, the cheapest delivery of health care happens at cost without insurance (ie: price inflation), in privately owned clinics where the physician has a vested interest in efficiency and customer satisfaction. The most expensive way to perform primary care is through major medical centers, paid for through insurance (ie: 20 layers of middlemen who take their cut of the pie).

Hence single payer. A lot of middlemen lose their jobs..

Am I the only one on sdn that believes in a single payer or hybrid system? :confused:

End rant.

You seriously aren't listening to and understanding what DPC / middle class concierge medicine is all about. Also... you completely biffed the car analogy. The $20 brakes are analogous to cheap, affordable primary care. Totaling your vehicle is analogous to a $20K hospitalization. Insurance makes sense for totaling your car... it makes no sense for buying routine parts & maintenance. The future of insurance free medicine we are talking about here has nothing to do with "milking the rich".... please take a step back and understand your misconceptions. It's a truly wonderful model of care.

Am I the only one on sdn that believes in a single payer or hybrid system? :confused:
Honestly... maybe it sounds great on the outside... I really can't comment because I've studied the economics too closely to make the mistake of thinking centralization of medicine or payments will help costs. Centralization of medicine and reimbursement systems are what brought us to this mess. There are no incentives to be cheap, efficient, and efficacious in government healthcare. The only incentive is to check all the right boxes and become a master of filing paperwork correctly, therefore avoiding CMS penalties. It has nothing to do with the patient anymore.

DPC is exactly the opposite. It really is the only part of medicine I know of right now that has zero conflicts of interest between the doctor and patient. I can't wait to graduate.

Single payer is a great system. Just look at the VA hospitals. Oh wait...

Medicaid patients have worse outcomes than private insurance because people on medicaid are in the low socioeconomic bracket and have worse outcomes across the board.

No, but you are not going to find many allies in this thread. This is an incredibly conservative blog for the most part. I wish more med students took some policy classes during undergrad.

No, but you are not going to find many allies in this thread. This is an incredibly conservative blog for the most part. I wish more med students took some policy classes during undergrad.
Or it could also be because this forum is largely populated by residents and attendings who, you know, actually know the field of medicine and how it works.

Edit: While the field of medicine is becoming more liberal on social issues, the fiscal conservatism is not changing, and for good reason.

Nothing liberal about undergraduate institutions. Fo sho.

Single payer is a great system. Just look at the VA hospitals. Oh wait...

You mean the only healthcare system that actually has historically measured outcomes? We really do not have a valid comparison in terms of outcomes in the US to the VA because the patients records are not studied as carefully. The VA certainly has problems, but so does the rest of health care. It is difficult to objectively measure, which system is better.

Or it could also be because this forum is largely populated by residents and attendings who, you know, actually know the field of medicine and how it works.

You are correct. However, there is no way to know whether the residents and attendings who populate this thread are an accurate sample of the larger population of residents and attendings who do not comment on SDN.

Because everyone who has ever taken a policy class automatically believes in single payer?

Or did you just happen to drink the undergrad kool-aid?

I have a degree in political science and did multiple healthcare policy independent studies. I am far far from an expert, but I drank a hell of a lot more kook-aid than the average undergraduate and it is not all bad.

I have a degree in political science and did multiple healthcare policy independent studies. I am far far from an expert, but I drank a hell of a lot more kook-aid than the average undergraduate and it is not all bad.
You realize that metaphor is meant to illustrate that as a bad thing, not an e-peen measuring stick, right?

And yet you're still talking off your a** when you clearly have no actual experience. Your line about VAs is a laugher. Those of us who've actually worked in one know there is no mystery about which system is better.

And you should realize that I'm one of the more liberal posters on here when it comes to the helalthcare system.

In what way am I talking out of my ass? I did not say that the VA is a better health care system. I merely said that we have no means to rigorously compare many of the outcomes measured in the VA system to private hospitals because the same outcomes are not measured as comprehensively. I did not claim that if these measurements were made the VA would stand superior. I am just not a fan of anecdotal conclusions.

You mean a bunch of people with 6 figure incomes, who don't have any problems affording health care...

They know the science and how their field works, that's it.

I'm actually an independent. Too much bs and special interests in both parties.

Edit: It's very easy for the people with the best health care to say we don't need any reform.

Last edited: