Ob/Gyn 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! i just thought since the ERAS docs are being filled out, and we are all starting to think about the match, that it was high time to see who is out there for next year. it would be great if we could start a thread to see who is who, where folks are applying, interviewing, etc...as the process goes on. so, maybe start with some intros, and if anyone has pointers on programs, interviews, places to stay, cheap travel, problems within the programs, sweet programs to consider, or whatever, they can chime in.

i can start off with my intro, at least.

Neil
IMG (graduating from a school in Czech Rep)
34 y/o male
originally from CA
applying mainly on the west coast, virginia, texas, nevada, nm and ny. prob some other programs in there too, as i progress. geography is huge for me, as i want to be able to enjoy my hobbies in what little free time i have.

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea to get this thing started Neil - thanks! I've been reading these posts for so long, I can't believe it's finally our turn. How exciting (and scary).

Anyway, I'm a 25 year old female from Maryland, did my undergrad at Penn State, and now med school here in Ohio. I'll probably be applying to lots of Mid-Atlantic places (family in the DC/Baltimore/Philly area), but then also some more southern places (Virginia, the Carolinas, maybe Georgia, etc.). Also probably a few randoms like Denver, Portland, Seattle. I LOVE Chicago, but I'm itching to get out of the cold, so we'll see about that. I'm pretty much all over the place!

I start my AI on Monday, so I'm a little nervous about that. I did my OB/Gyn core clerkship back in September/October of last year, absolutely fell in love with EVERYTHING about it, but haven't done it since. Hopefully all will go well next week. My plan for this weekend: the dreaded personal statement.

Good luck everybody!

Hi Everyone,

ok :) well i'm in the south -- and I'm 24. But unfortunatley i'll be 25 in a couple of days. That's actually really bothering me for some reason.

(ok buzzlightyear-- i said who i was.. now .. happy)

I haven't started ERAS yet-- but I plan to start soon.

anyway, OBGYN was my last rotation -- and I loved it!
I plan to apply to the east coast area and all over. I was thinking: as we do aways-- maybe we can have an away-rotation feedback too. Some other forums have it-- you can write pros/cons and if it was a good place to get a letter of rec, etc. (we should probraly start that one up in mid-late august?)

IM14: chicago vs DC? I guess I've never really looked past the two months of summer that you get in chiacgo-- so what do you like about chicago? maybe i'm overlooking something :)
you sound like a really fun person to work with! I hope we get a chance to meet on the interview trail. good luck with your personal statement writing this weekend!

good luck everyone!
snow!

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhh...the dreaded PS! that was such a pain.

i am actually just finishing up a peds rotation, and then i have a public heath exam...and no more classes at all! woohoo! i will be taking call on L&D for 2 weeks or so, but that will be it for me and school until the match. that is freaking me out!

good luck with the away rotations

hey y'all....

I'm an M4 in Memphis, TN... 24yo (but 25 on Monday!! yikes!!)... applying for ObGyn. I'm applying all over the west coast, midwest (Minneapolis, Chicago, Ann Arbor), and a few places on the east coast (DC, Baltimore, NYC) :cool: . I'm also couples matching so anyone else in the couples match who wants to share ideas and strategies, let me know. I'm headed to USC+LAC for an away rotation in September... anyone here from Southern Cali? See you guys on the interview trail! ;)

is there anyone out there at uc irvine? or does anybody have some info on this program? thanks...

neilc said:
is there anyone out there at uc irvine? or does anybody have some info on this program? thanks...
i think freeman (constantly cited in william's obstetrics) is associated with them

hi there 25 yo nullip (well, it is the ob/gyn board, right?!?) at MCV/VCU down in Richmond, VA. heading to NYC (all my friends & family are there) for ob/gyn residency in 2006 & then a family planning fellowship post grad perhaps at UCSF (this is the plan, at least). i've been a women's health activist since high school & aside from a short time considering surgery have spent about the last 10 yrs sure i was going to be an ob/gyn. i'm your typical energetic, insense gyn gal with lots of fabulous shoes & accessories. lived in south africa for a year & was an art major in undergad. have 3 cats & am FREAKING out board studying of current, thus leading me astray to read online forums! so here i am! would gladly be of help to anyone looking at southeaster US programs. if anyone would like to give me some nyc (manhattan, bronx, & brooklyn) program advice, id be glad to hear it! thanks & i'll be back.

Hey, What did /do you think about your homeschool obgyn program in Richmond? how's the atmosphere? how do the residents get along and is there anything to do in Richmond?
oh and btw i'm going to start another post re: your fabulous shoes. but it will be a new post. good luck with step 2. it sucks to study. snow.

sjh said:
hi there 25 yo nullip (well, it is the ob/gyn board, right?!?) at MCV/VCU down in Richmond, VA. heading to NYC (all my friends & family are there) for ob/gyn residency in 2006 & then a family planning fellowship post grad perhaps at UCSF (this is the plan, at least). i've been a women's health activist since high school & aside from a short time considering surgery have spent about the last 10 yrs sure i was going to be an ob/gyn. i'm your typical energetic, insense gyn gal with lots of fabulous shoes & accessories. lived in south africa for a year & was an art major in undergad. have 3 cats & am FREAKING out board studying of current, thus leading me astray to read online forums! so here i am! would gladly be of help to anyone looking at southeaster US programs. if anyone would like to give me some nyc (manhattan, bronx, & brooklyn) program advice, id be glad to hear it! thanks & i'll be back.

hey there! i am actually applying to all 4 virginia programs...any input on any of them would be GREAT!

sorry, but i really don't have a lot of info on any US program, especially back east...wish i could help!

I second the above two posts - any info on Virginia would be GREAT!!! I am most curious about MCV, but any info at all on other VA schools would be mucho appreciated!

hi snow,neil,&lmh,&daisy...

so here is my 2cents re. virginia programs. (if anyone else is interested, i can speak to the DC programs, some in TX, NC, & FL, as well... letme know!)

MCV:
a.k.a. VCU (mcv is the old school name which we all still call it, vcu is the new name. if you wanna look cool, say MCV ;) same program otherwise)
this is a big, downtown, high-volume inner-city, tertiary referral hospital that has been around since before the civil war. the deliveries & procedures are almost 100% done by residents with med students occ gettig a few here & there, but most pts are w/o insurance, so rarely do the attgs have 100% private patients. this means more experience for the resident as far asi can tell. there are 6 res/year, strong ONC w/ 2 great profs here, good MFM (dept head is a cool guy & a MFM), & a cool, young (but intense) UROGYN gal. they have weekly conferences, residents seem for themost part very cool, with like 1/2 the class MCV grads usually, & they like at least 2 dudes/year, & usualy have 1 FMG/year, too. lots of females have babies 4th year of residency, most people are married so they really respect the desire to have time outsidethe hospital. use the NF system for call, as do most residencies now s/p 80hr work wk restrictions. residents have continuity clinic starting from 1st year so that is nice. very few people apply into fellowship (many stay as attgs or go into pr prac) but those that do apply have always matched really wellinto 1st choice fellowships (ONC match this past year in his 1st choice, for example). richmond is a pretty southern city, in my opinion. about 1million residents here, with a huge, active arts community, great museums, parks, a zoo, family activities, nightlife on the weekends, extremely affordable cost of living, & very safe in the "fan" area with pretty old fixed up houses (i.e. i jog at night & never feel worried) the area right around MCV is okay, too, but are a few dodgy neighborhoods in richmond, but that being said, i have NEVER had a problem. some people also live in suburbs just 10min away from MCV ... there you have your new built homes, giant movie theaters, barne's& noble, malls, target, et.al. the city is pretty much 50/50 conservative & very religous (biblebelt, here) & the other 1/2 of the city has a big punkrock/art/gay/liberal vibe. i find the blend very cool & makes fora nice combination of a city with a lot of tradition, but also younger people, too. the beach & moutians & wash DC are all an hour drive from richmond.
i would stay at my home program in a heartbeat if i had a different subspecialty interest, but i find that southern programs are all (exp emory in atlanta) very weak when it comes to abortion training (i.e. you can get it & be competent in basic 1st tris, etc; but beyond that it isnt a huge part of the training). if complicated, later term, etc ab training isnt important to you, than i wouldnt worry at all about mcv at all. if you like treating a large volume ofpatients with a totally supportive (reallly COOL) residency director, ina pretty, livable southern city, than mcv is awesome.

UVA:
in charlotteville, va (a beautiful southern town, with gorgeous architecture from thomas jefferson, vineyards, in the moutains, hiking & outdoors activities), UVA is probably more "academic" than MCV. it maybe has a better rep, but definately a smaller patient volume, mostly private patients, less complicated referrals, etc, but also probably more responsible mothers as inner city patient pop at MCV can sometimes leave something to be desired inthe parenting dept (as ALL inner city programs will be). i find the UVA atmosphere to be a bit more stressful & uptight with fewer patients & less bedside teaching. plenty of good research is going on here & the fellowship matriculaiton may be higher. crime is a non-issue here. cost ofliving is cheap & the city is so clean & beautiful, many virginias get married in charlottesville just for the atmostphere just to give you an idea. still has all the comforts of the suburbs with malls, etc. the school has a rep for being the only one with malignant potential in the state (the otehrs are fine) but as malignant goes, UVA is actually NOT bad at all.

EVMS:
in norfolk, va on the water, this program is probably a lotmore like MCV than UVA. a lot ofinner city patients, good atmosphere i hear, & good REI here, i hear. norfolk isnt the prettiest city by the water, but the part with EVMS is actualy nice by the udergrad campus of ODU. people often live in the "GHent" area here which is like th fan in richmond (pretty old, fixed up houses with a lot of character with some retired people, families, & college students for a good mix). norfolk also has its sketchy areas, but again, i have never had a problem & nor has my sister who lives here. i hear the word "transition" a lot in regards to EVMS, so that worries me at times, but it think it is a solid program that would train you well. they take a few males & FMGs q year. mostly private prac grads. i would say that if you had the pick between EVMS & MCV, MCV is a better program & EVMS isnt bad at all.

Roanoke
this is a community program in a city of 250,000 in the valley surrounded by moutains in the SW of the state. very pretty area (i lived here while growing up) in a super-safe, low costof living, awesome place to raise a family. you can live on a farm & have a horse & swim in secluded mountain lakes & hike & feel like you have total peace & quiet & a 5 min drive takes you to a little downtown with great food spots, a couple big malls, & all the other civilization you can dream of! there are a couple little colleges inc. a community college & great schools for the family peeps out there. as for the program here, the residents seemed actually academic quality in a communtiy program, which is sometimes rare. they seemed really competent & had good volume. strictly priv prac gradscoming out of here, but they seemed realy confident. the PD is a very nice guy & seemed great to work for. they do a lot of teaching, too, to keep the faculty fresh. no formal abortion training, although you can set up your own elective time to do this is interested (again, just putting this in for those of you that care about this)

Riverside
some of my classmates at MCV SOM go here instead of MCV every year (like i said b4, the residents do most ob deliveries, so this gave a few more "baby catching" opportunities to the med students) so all of my info will be from them: either lovedit or hatedit. a lot of cool residents tatloved to teach with a few bad apples that will soon be moving on. decent volume. community program. located in newport news, i htink, orsomewhere near there. it is about 30min from va beach & i think there are some local waterways there leading out to the chesapeke bay so there is some boating opportunity for sailors out there ;) the area is 50/50 insured & uninsured. less cultural activities in the area as far as i can tell. they have a LOT of FMGs there (like 1/2 the program) & a fair # of guys, i am told.

hope that helps! feel free to ask any other ?s! :)

dang. great info. very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
sjh - your info was extremely helpful - i really appreciate it!! we need more posts like that :) if anyone would like info on cleveland programs, please let me know and i'd be glad to share - that's pretty much all i have any experience with. nobody has mentioned a desire to head to ohio though, so i haven't posted anything. but just say the word!

I am looking at the OH programs. Specifically, NEUCOM and Cincy programs. Any information for these?

pruritis_ani said:
I am looking at the OH programs. Specifically, NEUCOM and Cincy programs. Any information for these?
great name

oh & if anyone (cool, nice, relatively clean, non-homocidal) needs a place to crash in the central VA area around interview time, email me. criminal background ck required. ;)

I'm a current 4th year at UC and planning do ob/gyn. Cinci is decent. Very good OB/MFM experience. Mostly resident cases at university, private at christ hospital. Gyn volume is moderate, but improving from what they tell me. You do most of your GYN at christ w/ private attendings. (it's really nice) The program director is great. Most of the current residents are great as well.. a few bad apples, but they are mostly chiefs this year so they will be gone soon. It can get malignant, but I think this is improving. There is limited abortion training currently, but this may change and the PD is very willing to help you get time to learn. (Also no urogyn on staff) There is a strong adolescent gyn dept at cinci childrens.

Overall - it's not a bad place to be.

The other program in the city is good sam/bethesda (trihealth)... I havne't rotated there... this will be the first year to combine both programs (good sam/bethesda used to be seperate) so who knows what will happen.. the gyn surgery is stronger at good sam, and they also have a level 1 nursery so they handle complicated cases just like university does.

if you have more questions let me know.

I would like some information about the PA/NJ programs.... much thanks :)

sjh said:
hi snow,neil,&lmh,&daisy...

so here is my 2cents re. virginia programs. (if anyone else is interested, i can speak to the DC programs, some in TX, NC, & FL, as well... letme know!)

Hey SJH,
id like to know about DC programs -- I'm actually doing an away rotation at georgetown starting the end of this month. any ideas on GT or george washington?
thanks snow

pruritis_ani said:

I can tell you about Cleveland programs.....

University Hospitals:
This is where I did my third year core clerkship, and I'm there now for a fourth year elective. Honestly, if I wanted to stay in Cleveland, I would go here in a heartbeat. All of the residents are extremely nice, and they get along great - a fun group. For example, they all went out together last night (you can tell where my priorities are :), and at least four of them were nice enough to invite me, a med student. There are four residents a year, but they are hoping to increase to six next year. Interns are q5 because they have an FM fellow in the mix now. There is a night float, either a R2 or R3, for six week blocks. The Gyn Onc program is extremely strong, and the surgical training here is great (R2's spend half the year either on Gyn Surgery or Gyn Onc). The MFM program is good, and they are adding a Urogyn to the faculty soon. The patients are a mix - some privates and some from the residents clinic (residents have a half day a week of clinic, with their own patients, starting intern year.) Friday morning is protected teaching time - the teaching is great. Again, an extremely friendly program, with friendly residents and friendly attendings.

MetroHealth/CCF:
Seven residents a year, rotating through both hospitals. Metro is the big county hospital with very very few private patients if any, but CCF is all privates. New this year, CCF isn't doing any OB at the main campus - it's all moving out to the smaller satellite hospitals. CCF has a great Urogyn program. I know there is a night float system, but I'm not sure of the details. This program is very very busy. My classmates who rotated here said they got a lot of teaching, but the atmosphere in general was "stressful." I did other clerkships (Medicine and Peds) at Metro, and the teaching from attendings during both rotation was phenomenal. I have not worked with any of the residents, but the few that I have met seemed very nice. From what I hear, this is a good program with good faculty. I have also heard that there are the typical "few bad apples," but I have never heard this program called "malignant."

I'm curious about Carolinas in Charlotte. Any input?

Does anyone have anything to share about Ohio State or Riverside?

Wow, I've been on this forum since undergrad and I still can't believe I'm applying for residency already! Does anyone have any info on the MCSC Ob/Gyn program in Charleston? I've gotten the idea that is is rather hard to match into. I'm a 4th year at UConn and although I love the Ob/Gyn program here, I think I need a change of scenery. Thanks!!

Count me in for the 2006 Match!
25yo male, w/ PMHx significant for...
(oh no, wait, what am I writing?) Let’s start again:

Always loved women's health and reproductive endocrinology in particular. Jolly, scientist-type, looking for an interested academic program for a fruitful and committed long-term relationship. Would be willing to move to explore common interests. Non-smokers only, but open to compromise.
(Hmm, that did not come out quite right?!) How about:

The purpose of this project was to test the underlying hypothesis that integrating research and OB will further our understanding of basic and clinical
problems in women's health and may lead to development of new xenobiotics in the interest of furthering therapeutic modalities for the treatment of MAD (Match Anxiety Disorder).
(Whew, how about that. Better, but not there yet) And finally:

Joining the 2006 match with the SDN'ers for ObGyn. Preferred REI/basic research interest. Best luck to all of us.
Alex @ Vandy

Here's my 2 cents...

Jerry
27yo male
Catching babies is my calling.

Applying mainly NYC and Boston, with some DC, Philly, and Providence thrown in for good measure. East Coast, born and bred....

Hey Alex,
I'm curious about Vandy - any input?

how many programs are you folks applying to? i have about 40 on my list, about half of which are in CA. i think i have a few solid programs where i have a good shot, a few reach programs, a lot of programs that are middle of the road, and a couple that seem to be hard up for applicants. i am REALLY stressed about getting a job, i have had a lot of good feedback, but you never know til you get the contract...

what are your thoughts on how many to apply to?

neilc said:
how many programs are you folks applying to? i have about 40 on my list, about half of which are in CA. i think i have a few solid programs where i have a good shot, a few reach programs, a lot of programs that are middle of the road, and a couple that seem to be hard up for applicants. i am REALLY stressed about getting a job, i have had a lot of good feedback, but you never know til you get the contract...

what are your thoughts on how many to apply to?
40?!?! jeez, have you looked at which days these programs are doing interviews?? are there even 40 total days?? plus you got travel, meet and greets the day before...

40 apps, not interviews! if i can get 20 interviews, i think that is still more than i can handle...but, i want to make sure i can get at least 15 invites for interviews. and, with 20+ CA programs, of which maybe 3-5 will bother to interview me, i need to bat .500 with the rest to get fifteen.

it would be great to get 40 invites, and be able to turn a few down, but i don't see that happening to an IMG with a 192 step 1....

Neil - Personally I think you have the right idea. For me, I can't even decide what part of the country I want to go to, so my list is pretty long too. And besides, I don't really know where I stand in the applicant pool, so I also want some sure things, some middle of the road, and a few far reaches just for the hell of it. My strategy is to apply to a lot (not sure exactly how many yet) and then see how many interviews I get. If I get lucky and get a lot of invites, I can always decide not to go. Since I am pretty much looking everywhere, I'd rather have options. Now, when I actually have to give them my credit card number, that strategy may change, but that's the plan for now :) Good luck!
L

I am with Imh and Neil. I do not know how competive I am so I would rather throw my net wide with 40 applications and see what I get back. I have been told I am being a bit paranoid....But I would rather have too many interview invites than not enough.

snowinter said:
sjh said:
id like to know about DC programs -- I'm actually doing an away rotation at georgetown starting the end of this month. any ideas on GT or george washington?

Hey everyone - I am a 4th year at the university of maryland in baltimore. I am familiar with the DC programs only from talking to people who went to school there or interviewed there so its not the best info but overall I've heard that there are good and bad things about both GW and Georgetown, and that neither is considered a very competitive program.

The main thing that everyone seems to gripe about georgetown is that as a Jesuit institution the training is limited in terms of termination/family planning, which is unnacceptable to many people going into OB/GYN. Having said that I worked with a graduate of that program who was nice and loved her training there.

I've heard GW is busy & you commute a LOT b/w holy cross, GW hosp and Fairfax, and that some of the people there tend to perpetrate the more negative stereotypes of this profession, however this is all heresay!! I will have to check it out for myself :)

As for my home school - what can I say - I am still going into OB/GYN (and really excited about it) despite the general feeling among my classmates that our program is "very malignant". My opinion is that it is getting much better. There are 6 residents per class and it seems like the last 2 classes are a big improvement from the past. I think this program has the potential of being great (attendings are for the most part very good, and the variety/complexity of cases is amazing) however, it does seem that they are lacking in terms of numbers although it is hard to judge this as a med student without much to compare to. I do like Baltimore as a place to live though (it is the land of fine living, afterall), and I think DC is even better, although more expensive.

ahhh.. hope this helps.
elvede :D

elvede - thanks for the dc info - very helpful. do you know anything about washington hospital center?

Hey everyone -
I'm a 4th year med student here in the Southeast...going into ob/gyn. So far I am applying to 28(!!) programs. That seems like alot to me. I am looking at Phillie, Boston, DC, Baltimore, Charlotte, Charleston, Greenville, Atlanta, Tampa and Portland. So...if you guys got anything on any of these places that would be great.

From what I know, I have heard nothing but GREAT things about Charlotte. That it is quite competitive and one of the best community/academic programs. I have also heard great things about Greenville, but that it is less academic. I have also heard good things about MUSC. (Can you tell these are my top places..)
But my husband wants to go to a big city, hence the apps to Baltimore, DC, Atlanta and Boston.
I am interested in anything anyone knows about the community programs in the NE cities...Washington Hospital, Franklin Square, etc. I'm also interested in anything people have to say about the Boston programs (besides Brigham and Women's and Beth Israel). THANKS!!

obgyn06

Hi there '06 - I see Portland on your list - that's a far stretch from your Eastern programs! But I have a friend at the program in Portland Oregon, and she LOVES it. Says it's very friendly and she has no regrets whatsoever.

lmh14 said:
Hi there '06 - I see Portland on your list - that's a far stretch from your Eastern programs! But I have a friend at the program in Portland Oregon, and she LOVES it. Says it's very friendly and she has no regrets whatsoever.

i also hear awesome things about portland. they have a weekly resident art class! how cute. extremely family planning friendly.

Yep, that's all I've heard is INCREDIBLE things about that program. Unfortunately, I have also heard that it is very competitive....er...

Hi all. I'm an M4 in KY applying in OBGYN this year. I was just lying here with my kitten and we stumbled into this site. Couple of questions,
1. Is anyone else having a horrible time writing their personal statement? I seem to have really bad writers block or really dull opinions right now.
2. Has anyone heard if UNC and Brigham are pushing their AOA only policy this year? Is anywhere else an AOA only program this year?

Thanks a bunch!!!

bump.

i didnt know there are AOA only programs. Which ones are they?

Do you guys know anything (good/bad, competitive, etc) about the Los Angeles area programs...ucla, ucla/harbor, cedars, usc, kaiser?

thanks in advance.

ok..i guess i'll put myself on the list.
25 y/o male DO ms4
doing couples match, both of us are going to Obgyn
applying to 20 DO, 20 MD
low scores, so willing to go anywhere.
anyone out there know anything about DO programs?
any MD programs that are easy to match into?

worried

well, here goes nothing! out go my apps today...i am pretty freakin nervous for this match!!! i really, really want a job next year.

anyone else submitting today? nervous about this whole process???

Dear Elvede:

I am 26 y/o Female, applying for OB/GYN. Super Excited and nervous. My fiance is here in Baltimore during his first year peds residency. I am going to start GYN-Surgery rotation next monday at University of Maryland. Any advise? I am also doing one month of Obstetrics rotation at Hopkins in October. My target is Maryland and D.C. So I applied to all 8 programs. Do you have any info on the D.C. and Maryland program? Thanks!! I am done with ERAS, have not submitted yet. I will soon, a little nervous. Good Luck everyone!

elvede said:
snowinter said:
Hey everyone - I am a 4th year at the university of maryland in baltimore. I am familiar with the DC programs only from talking to people who went to school there or interviewed there so its not the best info but overall I've heard that there are good and bad things about both GW and Georgetown, and that neither is considered a very competitive program.

The main thing that everyone seems to gripe about georgetown is that as a Jesuit institution the training is limited in terms of termination/family planning, which is unnacceptable to many people going into OB/GYN. Having said that I worked with a graduate of that program who was nice and loved her training there.

I've heard GW is busy & you commute a LOT b/w holy cross, GW hosp and Fairfax, and that some of the people there tend to perpetrate the more negative stereotypes of this profession, however this is all heresay!! I will have to check it out for myself :)

As for my home school - what can I say - I am still going into OB/GYN (and really excited about it) despite the general feeling among my classmates that our program is "very malignant". My opinion is that it is getting much better. There are 6 residents per class and it seems like the last 2 classes are a big improvement from the past. I think this program has the potential of being great (attendings are for the most part very good, and the variety/complexity of cases is amazing) however, it does seem that they are lacking in terms of numbers although it is hard to judge this as a med student without much to compare to. I do like Baltimore as a place to live though (it is the land of fine living, afterall), and I think DC is even better, although more expensive.

ahhh.. hope this helps.
elvede :D

outgolfing 26 email me!

First when applying to programs let me give y'all some hints
[1] Is there a night float-essential if you are in a relationship want kids or want to see your family

[2] Residency size- 4/yr I switched from one of these-- inevitably one person drops out one person get pregnant that leaves 2/yr doing 4/yr work very stressful!'

[3] Publications-make sure the program does this esp if you may be interested in a fellowship

[4] Cost of living hey by the time you are accepted gas will be $7/gallon
may want to live close to home to avoid rent cost etc

[5] Apply to 15-25 programs in 3 tiers those ivy leages hometown programs and programs that pique your interest

[6] If interested DO A ROTATION THERE WRITE LETTERS CALL AND DO A SECOND LOOK

[7] Take off a month to soley interview Dec/Jan are good time interview at programs you really like LATE as they will remember you or do a second look on the last interview week

Just my 2 cents

Hey do not forget IUPUI, Indianapolis

neilc said:
well, here goes nothing! out go my apps today...i am pretty freakin nervous for this match!!! i really, really want a job next year.

anyone else submitting today? nervous about this whole process???

Congrats Neil! I just sent mine out too. Nervous, definitely, but also super excited and now relieved to have the application all done. Now I have to study for the boards. Good luck with everything!

lmh14 said:
Congrats Neil! I just sent mine out too. Nervous, definitely, but also super excited and now relieved to have the application all done. Now I have to study for the boards. Good luck with everything!

yeah, i am excited too! i just won't be able to relax til i get at least 10 interviews offered....

good luck with the boards! all i have left is the step 2 CS, to do in a few weeks. so, i am lazily studying along....

hey all! 26 y.o. female here. currently m4 at univ of michigan. went to med school to become an ob/gyn, so it feels great to be applying finally!! submitted my app 9/1, got an interview offer from grand rapids/spectrum health program today. :thumbup: good luck to all. :luck: can't wait to hear all the updates.

neilc said:
hey everyone! i just thought since the ERAS docs are being filled out, and we are all starting to think about the match, that it was high time to see who is out there for next year. it would be great if we could start a thread to see who is who, where folks are applying, interviewing, etc...as the process goes on. so, maybe start with some intros, and if anyone has pointers on programs, interviews, places to stay, cheap travel, problems within the programs, sweet programs to consider, or whatever, they can chime in.

i can start off with my intro, at least.

Neil
IMG (graduating from a school in Czech Rep)
34 y/o male
originally from CA
applying mainly on the west coast, virginia, texas, nevada, nm and ny. prob some other programs in there too, as i progress. geography is huge for me, as i want to be able to enjoy my hobbies in what little free time i have.

anyone else?
Hi Dear,
I am Kimmy ...married and and applying for 2006 match ....and yet gotten no idea how to start looking for programs.....though just got my ERAS token.Can you help?
good luck,
Kimmy

Just submitted my ERAS and I think also soiled my speedos. Applying to east coast from New Hampshire to Georgia, couple in midwest, few west coast. Probably too many programs at 33...but I'm the nervous type (see earlier "soiled" comment) at least when it comes to rating myself. Anyways, best of luck to everyone and hopefully I'll be posting on the interviews thread soon!

kimmy said:
Hi Dear,
I am Kimmy ...married and and applying for 2006 match ....and yet gotten no idea how to start looking for programs.....though just got my ERAS token.Can you help?
good luck,
Kimmy

there is a section on ERAS that has all the programs. you can do a search by state and specialty. there is also usually a website listed, so you can learn more about the programs before applying.

good luck with the match this year!